• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down to Business (Competitive)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Even my non-competitive smasher friends prefer to turn items off. We only occasionally have a smash ball rave.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
If you look at the gameplay footage here you will see that Mario charges Fludd and instantly powershields a move. It looks to me like powershielding in this build can be buffered into. Thoughts?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Samus' f-smash never had explosions to begin with.

What do you guys' think of Megaman's f-smash. I believe this is the first f-smash that acts as a projectile. It's range seems huge, even compared to other characters' disjointed f-smashes.
2nd, actually.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
In some sense, you could say that Olimar's f-smash could be like a projectile because he obviously throws them like a projectile. However, are pikmin considered projectiles in the game code for the f-smash? If so, then you'd be able to reflect them like with Fox. Granted, I have not tested that idea, but I'm pretty sure you cannot reflect them.

I totally forgot about Snake's U-smash, especially when it's charged. It's range gets crazy long. However, it's not a projectile for his f-smash and so is not related to my first statement that was quoted a few posts above.

When Smash 4 comes out, hopefully we will get a chance to analyze the game code and verify if Megaman's f-smash would be coded as a projectile. Though, I bet the easy way to test without looking at the code would just be test to see if it gets reflected or not.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
What is this "Compromise between Casual and Hardcore" thing? Did anyone think Melee was boring casually? That game was probably more popular even among casual players too! It was just more interesting regardless of skill level unless you had issues with how easy it was to get edgeguarded.

peeup

Smash Lord
I've heard this, but I don't know if it's true. So I'll ask

Did Brawl's demo at E3 use Melee's physics?

I know the version that Gimpy and friends playtested had L-Cancels and wavelanding, but I'm talking about the original reveal video.

If so, this thread should probably not exist because it's 100% subject to change.

luar1609

Smash Cadet
In some sense, you could say that Olimar's f-smash could be like a projectile because he obviously throws them like a projectile. However, are pikmin considered projectiles in the game code for the f-smash? If so, then you'd be able to reflect them like with Fox. Granted, I have not tested that idea, but I'm pretty sure you cannot reflect them.

I totally forgot about Snake's U-smash, especially when it's charged. It's range gets crazy long. However, it's not a projectile for his f-smash and so is not related to my first statement that was quoted a few posts above.

When Smash 4 comes out, hopefully we will get a chance to analyze the game code and verify if Megaman's f-smash would be coded as a projectile. Though, I bet the easy way to test without looking at the code would just be test to see if it gets reflected or not.
You can reflect Olimar's pikmin with the reflector.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if DACUS, Glide-Tossing and Air catching (instant throwing too, etc) were purposefully put into the game? I hope they don't get removed.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
wait what did I miss with the villager
His catch move that he used against Samus' charge shot in the trailer can catch items and projectiles, store them in his pocket, and then he can throw them back out whenever he wants.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
His catch move that he used against Samus' charge shot in the trailer can catch items and projectiles, store them in his pocket, and then he can throw them back out whenever he wants.
From the video, it looked like he could only hold one item in his pocket it at time. Not sure if that is an accurate statement or not, but how would he release the items?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Heh. DACUS was ten times the exploit wavedashing ever was. I'm still not even 100% sure how the DACUS works; I only know how to execute it.

Heh. DACUS was ten times the exploit wavedashing ever was. I'm still not even 100% sure how the DACUS works; I only know how to execute it.
Random Guess.

Its weird dash attack can be canceled in the first place. My guess the reason dash attack can be canceled at all in this game is to make it easier to perform a smash attack. The first 2 or 3 frames of any dash attack can be canceled by a smash attack. This was carried over from melee. Why does melee not have this dacus effect at all? Well, my guess here is that Usmash didn't preserve in-game momentum values. Only grabs did this which is why you had the dash attack canceled grab. In brawl, Usmash now preserves momentum along the ground which lead to this exploit with canceling the dash attack with Usmash. The only reason DACUS is useful for certain characters is likely due to the momentum being added in the first two or three frames by the character's dash attack.

But anyway... wavedash and dacus are such cool things in the game. I do not see why they do not simply embrace these things.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Competitively speaking, we've seen a number of decent stages so far, so that's nice.

3DS version:
Neutrals:
- Battlefield
- Gerudo Valley
- Arena Ferox

Non-neutrals:
- Spirit Tracks Train (That roof)
- Super Mario 3D Land (Giant Spike)
- Nintendogs Stage (Only because of the blocks)

WiiU version
:
Neutrals:
- Battlefield
- Boxing Ring
- SmashVille 2
- Wily's Castle
- Wii Fit Gym

Non-neutrals:
- Skyloft (Looks good for competitions, but there may be surprises we haven't seen. So far, it's like Delfino but without water.)

There is also possibly a stage that looks just like Battlefield, but without platforms. It might be the Smash 4 Final Destination. You can see it in the E3 developer direct video here at 3:50.

So out of the 12 stages revealed so far, 10 look like tournament stages. That's not a bad start!

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
From the video, it looked like he could only hold one item in his pocket it at time. Not sure if that is an accurate statement or not, but how would he release the items?
I'm assuming it'll be catch with B/Down B and then release with the same button, so he could only hold one.

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
The catch move of the villager looks like the bucket of G&W but i dont know if is going to make the projectile stronger.
But that is what i thought when i saw the video.

In the stage topics, the stage were pretty good.
I loved the new design of Battlefield but i think it looks bigger that brawl's,
the boxing ring i donth think if its going to be neutral because it looks that its not going to have low part to kill
and i saw that are different smashville 2, with 3 plataforms or 2 so maybe its going to be changing like Delfino.

Top Bottom