• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Content: A Good or Bad thing for the Roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
^This is kind of how I view characters like Shulk. I'd love it if he made the roster initially, but if he doesn't I think he's got a pretty good shot at being a DLC addition

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Exactly my point. DLC would most likely benefit cut semi-clones, small franchises, and one-shot characters

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What I would personally love is a set of bundles. By that I mean, have bundles of characters and stages, or have the ability to buy such parts of the game seperately. This would truly benefit popular one-shot characters, like Shhulk (who is one of my most wanted characters).

Not to mention, with each character would likely come a trophy or two, and music for the stage assuming it is related to a particular series, for example Xenoblade Chronicles.

Quite honestly, Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the very few new Nintendo IP's created this gen, so I think the only negative trait about Shulk is that he is a one shot character at this point.

But overall, I would see DLC characters as the money maker. Those characters being:

1. Popular choices that didn't make it in initially
2. Semi-Clone characters (maybe from Melee. Idk about that yet)

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that's be what I would want to add it in for. There may be a few characters added this way, but I feel most of the material would be stages, events, etc. Either way though, a few characters is better than none!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
because love smash so much and rolls around rarely like GTA i will no doubt buy all smash DLC but if they do smash DLC who knows what it will include? stages for sure. proberly more trophies/challenges.

but 1 thing for sure is if they do smash DLC they defo wont add new chars.. sakura said that he didnt wanna expand the roster a whole lot..we probly be looking at only 2or3 more chars and some chars already in be replaced by new ones.

he stated it makes the game more harder to balance having more chars = harder to balance.. quality over quantity is his motto for smash4 he said.

i would loveeeeee new DLC chars but come on.. knowing how sakura is u really think he would release new dlc chars after saying that? i mean for christ sake he didnt even give DLC to MK7... that was extremelyyy dissapointing and a very stupid descicion in my mind..
.who wouldnt buy DLC for smash or mk? there the 2 best nintendo games imo. and they each only have 1 title per home console...

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To reply to the thread question: yes, it's a good thing for the roster. But probably a bad thing for my already empty wallet. So, unless it's free, I wouldn't want it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
because love smash so much and rolls around rarely like GTA i will no doubt buy all smash DLC but if they do smash DLC who knows what it will include? stages for sure. proberly more trophies/challenges.

but 1 thing for sure is if they do smash DLC they defo wont add new chars.. sakura said that he didnt wanna expand the roster a whole lot..we probly be looking at only 2or3 more chars and some chars already in be replaced by new ones.

he stated it makes the game more harder to balance having more chars = harder to balance.. quality over quantity is his motto for smash4 he said.

i would loveeeeee new DLC chars but come on.. knowing how sakura is u really think he would release new dlc chars after saying that? i mean for christ sake he didnt even give DLC to MK7... that was extremelyyy dissapointing and a very stupid descicion in my mind..
.who wouldnt buy DLC for smash or mk? there the 2 best nintendo games imo. and they each only have 1 title per home console...

I think what a lot of people forget is the marketing side of the gaming industry. Sure, they aren't expanding the roster a lot. But in a game like Super Smash Bros., what drives the sales? The characters do.

Realistically, after this Smash Bros is released, we may not get another one for several, and I mean SEVERAL years, if we get anotehr one at all. So any characters that were heavily requested and rather popular that don't make it will be left out to dry for a long time.

Also, the direct competitior to Super Smash Bros., Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal includes DLC characters already. It would be a good idea for Nintendo to release DLC characters, maybe not even more than 5-8 just to keep the fans happy.

If the roster is already balanced at launch, then I don't see the problem with releasing extra characters that fit into the balance of the game. Especially with the NIntendo Network now, surely patches would be used to maintain the balance one way or another

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
2 strong points that support the idead imo are:

1. Nintendo just started to brake into the DLC seen.

2. what drives smash the most is the chars u say? yes ofc it is i agree.

but what kinda contradicts the 2nd idea is that DLC for MK7 would have been nothing but profit. and the bad weired char roster of that game feels like it needs dlc bad or that alotta stuff got scrapped..just feels uncomplete..

i think adding past/scrap chars as DLC in smash would be the best idea..but kind of taking the mick too .

i mean past chars would be alot easier to add and scrap chars i imagine would be even easier to add then past chars..

less effort and time. the 2 things nintendo use in why stuff didnt happen.

not enough effort..
not enough time..

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If you decide to delete your save data in order to start over fresh... probably because you miss the thrill of unlocking characters and collecting trophies... I've done it with all three Smash games... anyway, wouldn't the DLC be deleted as well?

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Possibly. Couldn't you save it separately since it is content that's been downloaded separately from the original game? I'm not entirely sure since I have yet to play a game that utilizes DLC, so I very well could be completely wrong

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Possibly. Couldn't you save it separately since it is content that's been downloaded separately from the original game? I'm not entirely sure since I have yet to play a game that utilizes DLC, so I very well could be completely wrong
That's how it's done on the PS3 but I have no idea how it is on the Wii U.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If you decide to delete your save data in order to start over fresh... probably because you miss the thrill of unlocking characters and collecting trophies... I've done it with all three Smash games... anyway, wouldn't the DLC be deleted as well?
It depends really. All bought DLC, even on Wii, lets you download it again for free at any time so at least money would not be a concern, especially if it's attached to an account like how XBL and PSN work.

My guess is that the DLC characters would be part of the default roster since they wouldn't have a way to unlock them in the game.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
It depends really. All bought DLC, even on Wii, lets you download it again for free at any time so at least money would not be a concern, especially if it's attached to an account like how XBL and PSN work.

My guess is that the DLC characters would be part of the default roster since they wouldn't have a way to unlock them in the game.
That's how I thought it would be done. They would basically just be there, ready for use upon restarting a file

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't think so. I think that DLC would probably be tied to your NN Account, and I doubt DLC would be stored in the same place as your save data anyway.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Typically the DLC is saved to the hardrive, seperate from the game data itself. An example of mine would be Halo Map Packs. Even if you delete certain data, the DLC remains there unless you delete it yourself.

So to answer the question, yes, the DLC would be there at the start. Unless of course it was done differently.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
even on the 3DS games, it works like that, being stored on the SD card.

since the Wii U is compatible with external USB drives, the DLC could be stored there too.

and that's my 700th post! o.o

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
DLC would help to keep the public interest alive longer.
But it would be a problem for tournaments, as they would have to keep the game constantly updated. Remember, Sakurai does not want SSB4 to be played competitively.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
My take is that DLC should be free and not pay for it, specially if it is not already inside the disc. Though it would be great if the DLC is the "chance to fight" a newcomer and if you win you get the character! If you lose, you can get a new chance in a near future, no need to download/pay again as you already have the right.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My take is that DLC should be free and not pay for it, specially if it is not already inside the disc.
If it is already inside the disc, how would it be DLC? And personally, I don't think DLC would be free though, as they would run into losses.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
[collapse=An idea for a DLC pack]Name: Project Rainfall!
Characters: Zael and Aeron (Add Shulk if he doesn't end up in the full game)
Other: The Last Story stage and Pandora's Tower stage
[/collapse]

This is just an idea I had for a possible DLC pack.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
NintenDLC is always free! Can't imagine them actually making customers pay for it, as most of their fanbase is little kids. I mostly hope for an improvement on the stage reciever from brawl, maybe with most downloaded stages at the top of the list?

peeup

Smash Lord
I think they could make money without charging for DLC. Think of it this way: When a new Nintendo game/franchise is released, they can release a pack with character/stage/whatever that's essentially free advertising (obviously it wouldn't be totally free cause they have to add to the game, but maybe it would average out with the extra advertising.) Even if the characters were horribly balanced and the stages were simple, I'd be okay with that. Just having the stuff coming out, even if none of it is competitively viable, it would still add to the fun and the suspense of what's coming next. Would also be nice to see that Sakurai cares about his player base.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
NintenDLC is always free! Can't imagine them actually making customers pay for it, as most of their fanbase is little kids. I mostly hope for an improvement on the stage reciever from brawl, maybe with most downloaded stages at the top of the list?
So far the DLC for both FE13 and NSMB2 has been paid DLC, only Animal Crossing games have free DLC IIRC (because they offer so much - and it's all fairly minor things like furniture/clothes).

It's possible something minor like events/music/trophies will be free SSB4 DLC, but I think something as major as a character or even a stage will come with a price tag. Especially since DLC pricing is probably not up to Sakurai.

Plus, if Nintendo didn't already squeeze profit out of little kids, they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they have been so far, they're not going to choose to pass up such major potential profit from one of their main demographics. Plus, unlike many other Nintendo IPs, the Smash fanbase has significantly more avid, grown gamers to go along with the little kids (who mostly comprise the casual audience anyway).

That being said, I could see them doing a promotional DLC thing (like both FE13 and NSMB2 have done) where some of the DLC is temporarily free.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So far the DLC for both FE13 and NSMB2 has been paid DLC, only Animal Crossing games have free DLC IIRC (because they offer so much - and it's all fairly minor things like furniture/clothes).

It's possible something minor like events/music/trophies will be free SSB4 DLC, but I think something as major as a character or even a stage will come with a price tag. Especially since DLC pricing is probably not up to Sakurai.

Plus, if Nintendo didn't already squeeze profit out of little kids, they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they have been so far, they're not going to choose to pass up such major potential profit from one of their main demographics. Plus, unlike many other Nintendo IPs, the Smash fanbase has significantly more avid, grown gamers to go along with the little kids (who mostly comprise the casual audience anyway).

That being said, I could see them doing a promotional DLC thing (like both FE13 and NSMB2 have done) where some of the DLC is temporarily free.
Mario Tennis Open DLC was free. lol (QR Code DLC)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mario Tennis Open DLC was free. lol (QR Code DLC)
Yeah, I think that, if they are offered, Nintendo not making people pay for more Yoshi colours (and a Mario recolour) is also pretty likely for Smash 4. :laugh:

It does actually bring up the question of whether we might hypothetically get alternate costumes (more than just a colour swap) as DLC, and if so, will they be free? Personally, I don't think they will be.

I think they could make money without charging for DLC. Think of it this way: When a new Nintendo game/franchise is released, they can release a pack with character/stage/whatever that's essentially free advertising (obviously it wouldn't be totally free cause they have to add to the game, but maybe it would average out with the extra advertising.) Even if the characters were horribly balanced and the stages were simple, I'd be okay with that. Just having the stuff coming out, even if none of it is competitively viable, it would still add to the fun and the suspense of what's coming next. Would also be nice to see that Sakurai cares about his player base.
They could do this, but if they have a chance to make a profit, they'll probably take it. The most I can see, like I said above, is that it might be free temporarily, then revert to normal character pricing (what ever that may be - hopefully not too much)
As for the unbalanced characters... it wouldn't go over well. At all. (In fact it would probably cause people to think exactly to opposite of Sakurai caring about his player base) Simple stages would go over well though, ironically.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think that, if they are offered, Nintendo not making people pay for more Yoshi colours (and a Mario recolour) is also pretty likely for Smash 4. :laugh:

It does actually bring up the question of whether we might hypothetically get alternate costumes (more than just a colour swap) as DLC, and if so, will they be free? Personally, I don't think they will be.
Yeah, alternate costumes usually aren't free.

Colors would be free though. :laugh:

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I havent read all the way through yet, and this is true regardless of DLC characters, added to a 45-50 character projected roster, But All-Star mode is going to be a *****.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
If Snake & Sonic are not included in the roster (simply to make more room for others); it'd be best and utterly fair if they make them paid DLC after its release

As for alt. costumes; I'm hoping for pretty interesting ones (Classic "Prince Marth" with the toga, GP Legend C. Falcon, etc)

Example:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I havent read all the way through yet, and this is true regardless of DLC characters, added to a 45-50 character projected roster, But All-Star mode is going to be a *****.
I never played All-Star that much anyway (after I got the extra trophies I wanted at least) compared to the other modes, so wouldn't bother me that much. Something tells me though DLC characters wouldn't count for All-Star mode anyhow.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
All-Star already was a ***** in Brawl as it is. Don't remember if I even bothered to earn all the trophies from there, though I did in Melee, which I barely even had the patience for at the time. For SSB4, I would probably only get the trophies for whatever characters I main.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If DLC is used fir Smash Bros at all, I guarantee you it will NOT only be used for minor things such as music. While it would be nice for Nintendo to consider the fans when creating their product, we need to remember that at the end of the day, its a part of business.

Nintendo has to know that DLC Characters are what will make them the most money, as very few people would likely pass up a new character for the game. To simply release minor things that could have been in initially just doesnt make sense, even if they were free. If DLC is used, i'm positive it would be used to the farthest extent possible, and that would be characters and stages.

Not to say music wouldn't be included with the characters and stages, but to think that they would only release such things and not give out the cash cow, I highly doubt that.

Frankly, if you don't want to have to buy DLC characters, or don't think they should be included, remember that it is OPTIONAL to purchase DLC. So if you don't want it, you don't have to have it.

This isn't at anyone in particular, but I just remember there being quite a few people arguing that, and it just wouldn't make logical sense.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I hope your right..Smash doesnt fly around alot for sure..So DLC would be perfect for the game fits all the criteria.

Huge succesfull popular franchise
DLC would be nothing but profit no doubt.

But like i said before in this thread before in a earlier post everything i just said above i thought would happen with MK7..And it didnt...and imo MK fits the criteria too.

The criteria being that the said series being so popular that DLC would be un-doubtly be profit.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I hope your right..Smash doesnt fly around alot for sure..So DLC would be perfect for the game fits all the criteria.

Huge succesfull popular franchise
DLC would be nothing but profit no doubt.

But like i said before in this thread before in a earlier post everything i just said above i thought would happen with MK7..And it didnt...and imo MK fits the criteria too.

The criteria being that the said series being so popular that DLC would be un-doubtly be profit.

That's true about Mario Kart 7. However, Smash has a butt load more content that they have at their disposal than Mario Kart. Eventually, Mario Kart would likely run out of viable characters to include, while Smash Bros has essentially a never ending pool of decent characters to add.

Although Mario Kart could match the characters in Smash with the tracks. So i'd agree with you there

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I'm huge supporter for DLC characters and stages because it would add so much to the game and the fact I would be huge sucker for SSB DLC.

However, I would support it even more if he is going to use DLC to add characters and stages that didn't make in the game due to time limitation. Like Melee's FE stage and Brawl's Roy, Mewtwo, etc. It would motivated Sakurai to add characters and stages to DLC so he can felt that he actually completed the game in his mindset.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm huge supporter for DLC characters and stages because it would add so much to the game and the fact I would be huge sucker for SSB DLC.

However, I would support it even more if he is going to use DLC to add characters and stages that didn't make in the game due to time limitation. Like Melee's FE stage and Brawl's Roy, Mewtwo, etc. It would motivated Sakurai to add characters and stages to DLC so he can felt that he actually completed the game in his mindset.
Agreed. That would work too because of the fact that the characters would already be partially done as it is. If they took care of those characters and even added extras that weren't already a part, that would be good too

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It would be 10x a bigger upset then MK7 recieving no DLC if Sm4sh didnt too.

Expecially with all these great ideas..

It would be hella stupid too because no doubt it would bring them ''Money!!!'' isnt that what all Dev's want the most? isnt that litreally the whole point of this game being made!

Them litreally..Company release software/game sell for profit...

End outcome profit

Sm4sh = hugee profit..
Sm4sh DLC = hugee profit..

Simple, Reasonable, Makes sense?

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
What about not only Downloadable characters but also downloadable costumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom