• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Content: A Good or Bad thing for the Roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I was just thinking. Let's assume a new pokemon similar to Lucario is revealed for Gen 6, and they put him in Smash Bros instead of Mewtwo and they drop Lucario in the process. How likely would it be that Lucario AND Mewtwo get released as DLC?

I'm expecting Lucario to stay really, but if another pokemon is added, I will absolutely bet on Mewtwo or a Gen 6. And if this situation were to happen, I would expect both to be released. Both are popular, and were already in Smash Bros.

assosiaan2014

Smash Rookie
I guess the idea of DLC sounds alright to me, but I dunno about downloading characters. That's too much of a game changer in my opinion. Now they could probably pull off characters as DLC just fine, but I personally think it'd be more fair if it was limited to just stages, music tracks, etc.

A couple of characters alongside stages, music, ATs, etc would make for nice DLC.

Adds more to the game after you buy it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As i've said before, if they are going to do DLC, not allowing characters is a major mistake, considering those are what will generate the most sales. Even if it is just a few.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
[collapse=An idea for a DLC pack]Name: Project Rainfall!
Characters: Zael and Aeron (Add Shulk if he doesn't end up in the full game)
Other: The Last Story stage and Pandora's Tower stage
[/collapse]

This is just an idea I had for a possible DLC pack.

:phone:
Considering how great these games were, this would be one DLC pack I would download.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well we just gotta wait and see how nintendo go about doing DLC with there games up untill smash. That would be the best way to judge.

If there hardly doing any DLC for there games including the AAA Games and the DLC is petty which i think will happen then i guess its unlikely.

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
if they do have dlc

better be way better character releases than just 2 or 3 cuz i hated mvc3 for it
for just having two lack luster characters like jill and shuma
i love jill but hated her moveset for that game
anyways
i hope if they do have dlc i would want more characters released
even if it was one per 6 months or even heck one per year :D
stages i dont care too much about but music would be way cool

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm sure they would release them in packages or seperately, so that if there was only one character that interested you, or you didnt have enough money to afford the entire thing, you could just buy a few parts at a time.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
what's stopping the Wii U version from having it? o.o

if there's DLC, then it will be on both versions. although unlikely, you could be right, but that would be odd at least.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Come to think of it..if Sm4sh does get DLC i think only the 3DS Version will.

yeah i'm with Frostwraith on this one. I'm not sure what you mean. The Wii U allows DLC, from add on's to entire games. There certainly wouldn't be a restriction to version DLC capabilities.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Sakurai doesn't have any more plans for the next several years, then we can probably expect DLC.
But don't make it payable, Unless it's a broken (by broken I mean a Metaknight to the extreme) Metaknight.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
its not that he hates making Smash games, he just generally doesnt like making more and more of the same game. at least that's why i hear he quit on Kirby.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yes but he's also said people have started taking Smash way to seriously and he simply regretted a few things he's done in the past with Smash games. like making Melee as competative as it was.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i for one dont think DLC will happen. at least not frequently and not really characters. Skins and stages sure but not characters that weren't at least partially finished by the time Smash comes.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If they are going to do DLC, not including characters would not be terrible, but it certainly would leave Nintendo out of a lot of sales. Any character released would likely be gobbled up by anyone owning the game, giving Nintendo who knows how much money.

Sure stages and music/ costumes would be nice, but not having other characters to download would be silly. They don't NEED to have DLC characters, but why wouldn't they release them?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I hate to double post, but i'd like to address the whole "Sakurai isn't going to work on DLC afterward" thing.

DLc doesn't require the entire team to be working on it. It isn't like an entire game. What i'm saying is, he only really has to approve the characters that are added, and then he doesn't have to do anything else. the developers are the ones who would likely be working on it most likely

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I hate to double post, but i'd like to address the whole "Sakurai isn't going to work on DLC afterward" thing.

DLc doesn't require the entire team to be working on it. It isn't like an entire game. What i'm saying is, he only really has to approve the characters that are added, and then he doesn't have to do anything else. the developers are the ones who would likely be working on it most likely
Im Sorry for sounding so negative all the time im not against your descisons its just thats it to good of a idea to be true..Nintendo aint that cool no more...

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm all for DLC as long as it's worth buying if they're going to put out DLC make it worth my money. Make them packages new character, new stage, new music, possibly new items, new statues, new stickers (assuming they return) and etc... So say they decided to do a Travis Touchdown DLC just as an example So you would get Travis Touchdown, a stage from No More Hero's, some items from it, music, hell maybe even some event matches based on NMH. Would that be worth $5-$7 from me? Ya sure why not? Also depending on how much effort they wanted to put into the DLC they could put out new side stories or something like that (though I doubt that will actually happen) and charge more for that. Add 3-6 more hours of gameplay to the game I'd pay $10-$20 for that. Personally I'm all for updates and DLC because they can be used to fix potential problems (such as balance issues) with the game as well as add new content thus extending the replayability of the game.

I mentioned this in another thread about DLC but, DLC could also be used as a great way to advertise for new games. Example, there's a new Zelda coming out well there could be free DLC where Link, Zelda, Gannondorf get new costumes reflecting the look and style of the new gaming coming out. And maybe there's a new statue that you can unlock that will give you a tease of information about the upcoming game. That's a great use of DLC and a good way to give the fans of Nintendo a little extra nod.

The final thing that DLC is good for is user shared content. The idea of sharing stages can come back and be improved upon maybe rather than getting just one random stage a day you could look through all the stages made by users, much like little big planet, so people can browse through the user made stages and pick the one's they want to download. This would add a swath of new maps available to players of the game to have access to and enjoy. I think this would be more difficult to do but still a great idea I think user generated music would also be an awesome idea there are lots of talented people out there who make great video game music remixes, spend a day or two checking out ocremixes and you'll see, that would add a nice option for lots of new user generated music which would be a lot of fun in my opinion.

Some of this stuff is a little ambiguous and would probably harder to implement than others but still I think they're some decent ideas.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm all for DLC as long as it's worth buying if they're going to put out DLC make it worth my money. Make them packages new character, new stage, new music, possibly new items, new statues, new stickers (assuming they return) and etc... So say they decided to do a Travis Touchdown DLC just as an example So you would get Travis Touchdown, a stage from No More Hero's, some items from it, music, hell maybe even some event matches based on NMH. Would that be worth $5-$7 from me? Ya sure why not? Also depending on how much effort they wanted to put into the DLC they could put out new side stories or something like that (though I doubt that will actually happen) and charge more for that. Add 3-6 more hours of gameplay to the game I'd pay $10-$20 for that. Personally I'm all for updates and DLC because they can be used to fix potential problems (such as balance issues) with the game as well as add new content thus extending the replayability of the game.

I mentioned this in another thread about DLC but, DLC could also be used as a great way to advertise for new games. Example, there's a new Zelda coming out well there could be free DLC where Link, Zelda, Gannondorf get new costumes reflecting the look and style of the new gaming coming out. And maybe there's a new statue that you can unlock that will give you a tease of information about the upcoming game. That's a great use of DLC and a good way to give the fans of Nintendo a little extra nod.

The final thing that DLC is good for is user shared content. The idea of sharing stages can come back and be improved upon maybe rather than getting just one random stage a day you could look through all the stages made by users, much like little big planet, so people can browse through the user made stages and pick the one's they want to download. This would add a swath of new maps available to players of the game to have access to and enjoy. I think this would be more difficult to do but still a great idea I think user generated music would also be an awesome idea there are lots of talented people out there who make great video game music remixes, spend a day or two checking out ocremixes and you'll see, that would add a nice option for lots of new user generated music which would be a lot of fun in my opinion.

Some of this stuff is a little ambiguous and would probably harder to implement than others but still I think they're some decent ideas.
Precisely. This is exactly what the potential of Smash DLC is. Its incredible. This is exactly why i don't see them NOT doing DLC. They'd be missing out on a lot of extra profit

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I'm all for all types of dlc. It can only add to the game. Also, when thinking about price points it's important to consider that it is being co-developed by Namco. So, will they will be more likely to follow in TTT2's footsteps and use the Harada approach (not charge for characters).

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I wonder (if DLC will happen) if DLC will have character slots added to the menu, of if there will be a slot that brings up the DLC menu

GetBentSaggy

Smash Apprentice
In terms of patches, they'd probably work the same way as Mario Kart 7's update; the patches would only be applied online, but will not affect offline matches.
It's only done that way because save data is stored on the cartridge, not the 3DS itself.

They could only fix it online because data is saved to two places: Nintendo's server/network, where they host online and store the data, and the user's account that's linked to that data and Mario Kart 7 game.

SSB4 will not patch things for only online and not offline. Why? Because they will be able to patch things in the offline, and therefore online mode. That's how the Wii U works now. It's the same as devs patching a FIFA or COD glitch.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It's only done that way because save data is stored on the cartridge, not the 3DS itself.

They could only fix it online because data is saved to two places: Nintendo's server/network, where they host online and store the data, and the user's account that's linked to that data and Mario Kart 7 game.

SSB4 will not patch things for only online and not offline. Why? Because they will be able to patch things in the offline, and therefore online mode. That's how the Wii U works now. It's the same as devs patching a FIFA or COD glitch.
finally Nintendo wont be that far behind in common sense this gen...(-_-)

I think it would be crazy for them to have DLC and not have characters included in it. That is practically the first thing people would expect from the DLC.

Sure we would get stages, music, ATs, etc but characters would be in that list as well.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think it would be crazy for them to have DLC and not have characters included in it. That is practically the first thing people would expect from the DLC.

Sure we would get stages, music, ATs, etc but characters would be in that list as well.
Whats obvious/common sense to us might not be for Sakurai..even though the outcome would no doubt result in £££££ for them...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Two things Dark Phazon:

1 - Sakurai doesn't hate Smash Bros. He has gone on record saying he thinks about it while developing other games. His problem with Smash is his own workaholic tendencies that are unhealthy during the development process. Smash is his baby and he loves it.

2 - MK7 was released before Nintendo settled its DLC plans. Yes it is the obvious choice for such a feature, but since Fire Emblem and NSMB2 Nintendo is fully embracing it with titles that aren't so obvious. Those games released after MK7 and have fully proven that paid DLC is worth the effort for them. So there is a very good chance there will be DLC for Smash 4 whether or not Sakurai personally likes the idea or not.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I still think there should be only two third party DLC characters.

Third parties are still very limited and they can be added latter on. (After all the unfinished characters and major first/second party characters that didn't make it are added.)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Two things Dark Phazon:

1 - Sakurai doesn't not hate Smash Bros. He has gone on record saying he thinks about it while developing other games. His problem with Smash is his own workaholic tendencies that are unhealthy during the development process. Smash is his baby and he loves it.

2 - MK7 was released before Nintendo settled its DLC plans. Yes it is the obvious choice for such a feature, but since Fire Emblem and NSMB2 Nintendo is fully embracing it with titles that aren't so obvious. Those games released after MK7 and have fully proven that paid DLC is worth the effort for them. So there is a very good chance there will be DLC for Smash 4 whether or not Sakurai personally likes the idea or not.

Well...lets just hope your right...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm reviving this thread because I feel we could start up more discussion on this topic.

My ideas for bundles of DLC:

Project Rainfall:
Shulk (Xenoblade)...if he doesn't make it initially
Zael (The Last Story)
Aeron (Pandoras Tower)

Mario Bros:
Waluigi
Toad
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
(These are just here to be swapped out in case one of these actually get in)

Wario Ware:
Mona
Jimmy T
Ashley

Pokemon:
Lucario (if he isn't in it already)

Fire Emblem:
Chrom
Roy
(Whichever of the two doesn't get in, if they don't both get it)

Any other ideas?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Maybe DLC would allow assist trophies to make it in as playable characters.

It's also possible that DLC would be used for extra 3rd parties.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Well I obviously didn't read through this well enough lol I've already posted my thoughts here. So looks like I just forgot that I did it lol I'm good at this. Oh well my support for DLC still stands.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Also, characters that are cut, which i hope their not, can get in with DLC, and also will have characters that were planned to be in, but didn't have enough time, I'm remembering you Roy. Maybe Nintendo could have a poll after the game comes out for recommendations for DLC characters. Music and stages are a definite though.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
If they have downloadable content, I'd prefer they didn't include characters. I don't really spend money on DLC, and I'd like to have full access to the entire roster nonetheless..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom