• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario PSA [v0.7] Recolors + Melee F-Air + Stock Icons

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Updated. here's the run down:
The fire pill is official.
Fixed free-fall on the Down Special
Cleaned up the OP
new pics, featuring a melee doc texture
a D/L for it
a new D/L system for Doc; I linked to a folder that contains all the builds so that I won't have to keep changing the link.

okay, let me know what you think!

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
no elements, everyone is adding "elements" to their PSAs and all of them are unnecessary

the 2 biggest problems with PSAs are that people either add useless graphical changes to their character, or that they completely add unbalanced features to the character. did people dislike the fact that doc mario was in many aspects a "clone". sure. but that didn't stop people from playing as falco over fox, roy over marth, pichu over pikachu, or young link over adult link.

people mained the doctor because he was in many aspects better than mario. the people who mained him played as doctor mario. changing his moveset is unnecessary when the doctor needs no improvements to his original moveset, and many doc mains would rather return to their familiar character than play as a completely new one that looks like him.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
no elements, everyone is adding "elements" to their PSAs and all of them are unnecessary

the 2 biggest problems with PSAs are that people either add useless graphical changes to their character, or that they completely add unbalanced features to the character. did people dislike the fact that doc mario was in many aspects a "clone". sure. but that didn't stop people from playing as falco over fox, roy over marth, pichu over pikachu, or young link over adult link.

people mained the doctor because he was in many aspects better than mario. the people who mained him played as doctor mario. changing his moveset is unnecessary when the doctor needs no improvements to his original moveset, and many doc mains would rather return to their familiar character than play as a completely new one that looks like him.
yeah, Im not gonna go all element crazy (see elemental marth lol) or Wisp (but thats a really good PSA because its unique), and Doc didnt have any elements in melee anyway, excluding the F-Smashc of course. I'm stumped on a Final Smash though. I'm thinking making him generate a capsule as big as final destination, and throwing it causes 999%damage and the universe explodes andyeah Im not really gonna do that lol. Do you have any ideas?

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
heal himself and teammates while poisoning(hurting) and making the other team sleep
WOW, that sounds beastly! I have NO idea how to do it, though... lol.

set a bit variable when he activates his final smash that activates la bit 0 to true on the thrown subactions :demon:

instadeath throws :demon:

EDIT: someone really should do that for snake...make his dthrow a OHKO >:D
This might be a bit easier, lol. I was thinking something like either:

a. camera zooms in to Doc, swallows a Pill, does an upsmash and yells "lets-a GO!". Now Doc is extremely powered up, and he keeps flashing yellow, blue, and red. During this time (about the time of warioman) Doc can be hurt, but never flinches. All of his attacks go up by a high %.

OR

b. simply make mario's FS electric. will also require an edited texture of his edited FS.

I'm kind of for a. lol!

Fool's Gil

Smash Apprentice
Dr. Mario Final Smash-Nyquil Overdose

When Dr Mario throws a pill at anybody, they instantly fall asleep. Side effects include rash, hallucinations, seizures, stomach pain, and tremors.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario Final Smash-Nyquil Overdose

When Dr Mario throws a pill at anybody, they instantly fall asleep. Side effects include rash, hallucinations, seizures, stomach pain, and tremors.
AHA! That might work, too... but, I believe that requires hexing. Which I know nothing of :urg:

Super-Sonic

Smash Cadet
I actually know how to make him thow the pils like the Fireballz. Simply overwrite the Fireballz 3d model (Motionetc) with the one you want, like the pils. I've done it, if you want, i could give you the motionpac, also white coat included in it, no you shouldn't have to change it.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
I actually know how to make him thow the pils like the Fireballz. Simply overwrite the Fireballz 3d model (Motionetc) with the one you want, like the pils. I've done it, if you want, i could give you the motionpac, also white coat included in it, no you shouldn't have to change it.
Okay, but do the pills do fire damage or normal damage?

That CSP sucks so hard...
Why? I think it looks good... is it because of the quality? Brawl Scape did that.
And what do you think of the moveset, lol?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I already have done that... like yesterday

read the posts

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Changing fireballs to do normal damage requires hexing. I actually had a lot of trouble trying to find Mario's fireballs, but I believe someone has. They posted something about it in an old thread by NeonTogepi, about Editing Articles.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Changing fireballs to do normal damage requires hexing. I actually had a lot of trouble trying to find Mario's fireballs, but I believe someone has. They posted something about it in an old thread by NeonTogepi, about Editing Articles.
Yeah, I figured that. Because it's an article right?

Oh, so someone did find the offset? Hmm... I'm-a going hunting, then!

Btw- I, too, tried the file you had given me, and the pill didn't spin... actually, it was just a normal fire ball :/

BurningCharizard

Smash Cadet
elements? hmm... yeah, I can see that working. But I don't know how I'd do that... the tornado is the down B, theres a pic in the OP. What do you mean by randomize it? I thought I had done that with the D-air? Unless you only saw the pictures? And I'll see what I can do about the frame rate. Thanks for your input :)

Well, no one has said anything about making the flaming pills official yet, and its been a few hours (right?) but I like it, so I'll update with it, as well as an attempted Down Special free-fall fix...
Downloaded and played with it, so now I can make a more intelligent response ^^;

So far I like, he does feel like Dr. Mario. I'd suggest making him a little slower with his run (can't remember exactly how he was in Melee, but I recall he was heavier than Mario, so I'm assuming he was a tad slower, too). His walk can stay the same speed. And a good job with his weight, he does feels heavier and it's harder for him to get KO'd.

Excellent job on the Down B :) However, his Dair does need a change, mainly because it doesn't hit below him, it's more of a Fair (maybe move it to his Fair and give him a stomp-like move for Dair). And a suggestion for Neutral B, you could use the "getting FLUDD ready" animation as the fireball/pill throwing animation (when Mario spins his arm and leans forward, it almost looks like his classic fireball-throwing action :) ).

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Oni, my birthday is 5 days before yours!

And great job! I mained Dr.Mario in SSBM, and having him in Brawl will be a joy!

And, for the fire effect on Mario's Fireball, it might be in his ef_mario.pac file (not positive tho). I'll check that out. But again I'm not sure.

If you need any help with the PSAing, I'm here to help.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
First of all great job on Doc. I was never a Doc main, but this is a very promising PSA.

However, the down special feels like a simple animation swap. It jus exectues the move. How about making it possible to move during while spinning or go up when pressing b. That would be more Doc-like.
Also, Doc's fair is supposed to send straight up. It's possible to spike with this one. And Dair doesn't hit below him.
Also, I don't think the Uspecial made coins appear.

But excellent job on the FSmash and attributes. He definitly feels like Doc.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Downloaded and played with it, so now I can make a more intelligent response ^^;

So far I like, he does feel like Dr. Mario. I'd suggest making him a little slower with his run (can't remember exactly how he was in Melee, but I recall he was heavier than Mario, so I'm assuming he was a tad slower, too). His walk can stay the same speed. And a good job with his weight, he does feels heavier and it's harder for him to get KO'd.

Excellent job on the Down B :) However, his Dair does need a change, mainly because it doesn't hit below him, it's more of a Fair (maybe move it to his Fair and give him a stomp-like move for Dair). And a suggestion for Neutral B, you could use the "getting FLUDD ready" animation as the fireball/pill throwing animation (when Mario spins his arm and leans forward, it almost looks like his classic fireball-throwing action :) ).
Okay, I'll see what I can do about the running. Do you think I could just take someone else's running pace or should I just slightly modify Mario's?

I think I might leave gravity alone, because B+ handles stuff like that, right? This doesn't have B+ in mind, haha.

I agree, D-Air sucks XD

I'm not quite familiar with this FLUDD move, I'll look it up.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Oni, my birthday is 5 days before yours!

And great job! I mained Dr.Mario in SSBM, and having him in Brawl will be a joy!

And, for the fire effect on Mario's Fireball, it might be in his ef_mario.pac file (not positive tho). I'll check that out. But again I'm not sure.

If you need any help with the PSAing, I'm here to help.
Oh, it is? Cool! I'm getting either a smash bros cake or planet of the apes... lmao.

thank you!

Okay, I'll take a look at that file...

Good to know man. I know who to come to, lol.

First of all great job on Doc. I was never a Doc main, but this is a very promising PSA.

However, the down special feels like a simple animation swap. It jus exectues the move. How about making it possible to move during while spinning or go up when pressing b. That would be more Doc-like.
Also, Doc's fair is supposed to send straight up. It's possible to spike with this one. And Dair doesn't hit below him.
Also, I don't think the Uspecial made coins appear.

But excellent job on the FSmash and attributes. He definitly feels like Doc.

YES. I tried to make it so you could move... I tried everything I knew. Checking the moves character thing didnt change anything, so maybe I can take out the end animation (if you look very closely when you do it on the ground, he briefly goes into his normal falling animation... hmm...) I will take a look at Luigi's tornado to see if I can get it to rise as well...

Okay, I'll work on the F-Air. And I'm gonna replace the D-Air (in fact, I could've sworn I'd already replaced it with Luigi's! X_X)

I'm gonna keep the coins in the Up Special because

1. I can't find the graphic effect and

2. I thought this was a mistake it the programming in melee, like Roy without a sheath in-game, yet its there in his trophy/victory poses...

Thanks so much for the feedback.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Why not just copy the code from Luigi's DownB?
Oh god, that reminds me! I was working on that!

>_>
<_<
*runs away*

Oh, it is? Cool! I'm getting either a smash bros cake or planet of the apes... lmao.

thank you!

Okay, I'll take a look at that file...

Good to know man. I know who to come to, lol.
(O/T)
Kewl! I'm getting an iPhone. Smash bros cake sounds cool though

(On/T)
I don't think we need a Doc model, all we really need to do is remove Mario's hat thru Brawlbox. And will you be cloning Doc. Mario? Or giving him a new moveset? I would actually like to see a new moveset.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
neon had a working down B i beleive, though his pill throw was a capsule thrown forward towards the ground, while it might work, a modification of mario's fireball seems a lot easier to do.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Why not just copy the code from Luigi's DownB?
Precisely.

Oh god, that reminds me! I was working on that!

>_>
<_<
*runs away*

(O/T)
Kewl! I'm getting an iPhone. Smash bros cake sounds cool though

(On/T)
I don't think we need a Doc model, all we really need to do is remove Mario's hat thru Brawlbox. And will you be cloning Doc. Mario? Or giving him a new moveset? I would actually like to see a new moveset.
Lol.

Sweet! I don't know what I'm getting, but if I have enough money, Im gettin' me an Xbox XD with ODST + MW2, of course.

I don't know... we need his steathascope and headband with the dish thingy on it lol... as well as a better coat.

As for cloning... yes and no. Some moves will be modified, but I was a Doc main in Melee, so I don't wanna screw with him too much...

neon had a working down B i beleive, though his pill throw was a capsule thrown forward towards the ground, while it might work, a modification of mario's fireball seems a lot easier to do.
Oh? Did he have a D/L for it?? :3 I hope... it would make things alot easier... I have no idea what to do about it.

Eh, well, if we can animate it and take out the chance of an item popping out... if we can't, then yeah, a fireball mod is better.

Gea

Smash Master
The changes between Doc and Mario in melee:

Doc had slightly more (2 frames) of landing lag after aerials. However, with how slow Brawl already makes aerials, I see this as moot.

Super sheet's hitbox extended further upwards and downwards (a wider cape) but did not extend quite as far out from his body.

Pills, obviously. Fsmash, obviously. Fair, obviously. Bthrow was stronger, nair was the strongest right before it ended (as in it got stronger as the move stayed out), his jab was slightly slower I *think*, utilt sent people to the sides unless they were directly ontop of it. Usmash did not send opponents as high (in fact, unless they were already in the air, it meteor'd them off of the ground). Bair was stronger with a more horizontal trajectory. Dair was a drill kick, and did not have an additional hitbox upon landing. His up + B goes slightly further. Can only stall in the air with cape once to break even, then starts losing height. Uair had slightly less knockback. Dsmash much stronger. Dthrow slightly less knockback (more like Pikas), uthrow slightly less knockback. No walljumping. Dtilt swept people behind him and downwards.

And of course a few % damage here and there. Weight (Mario was slightly lighter only in PAL, they were the same in every other version), falling speed, and running speed were all the same.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Oh PS. Doc's fsmash wasn't electric element in Melee I'm almost positive. Just because it has the graphical appeal doesn't mean it had the same effect as electricity. I thought it was supposed to be non-elemental "magic" damage anyways, a la the pills.

For a final smash, what you should do is this:

- Change the graphic on one of the assist trophies like advance war troops or excite bike into the viruses who spawn everywhere and run all over the stage, then pills start to drop from the sky at the same time until they are all off the stage. Don't know how possible that is to do, but it is an interesting idea.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
get the orange box too so we can play TF2.

though if you do get ODST you can help me get the last 2 vidmaster achievements.
Definitely. TF2 always had caught my eye...

The changes between Doc and Mario in melee:

Doc had slightly more (2 frames) of landing lag after aerials. However, with how slow Brawl already makes aerials, I see this as moot.

Super sheet's hitbox extended further upwards and downwards (a wider cape) but did not extend quite as far out from his body.

Pills, obviously. Fsmash, obviously. Fair, obviously. Bthrow was stronger, nair was the strongest right before it ended (as in it got stronger as the move stayed out), his jab was slightly slower I *think*, utilt sent people to the sides unless they were directly ontop of it. Usmash did not send opponents as high (in fact, unless they were already in the air, it meteor'd them off of the ground). Bair was stronger with a more horizontal trajectory. Dair was a drill kick, and did not have an additional hitbox upon landing. His up + B goes slightly further. Can only stall in the air with cape once to break even, then starts losing height. Uair had slightly less knockback. Dsmash much stronger. Dthrow slightly less knockback (more like Pikas), uthrow slightly less knockback. No walljumping. Dtilt swept people behind him and downwards.

And of course a few % damage here and there. Weight, falling speed, and running speed were all the same.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Oh PS. Doc's fsmash wasn't electric element in Melee I'm almost positive. Just because it has the graphical appeal doesn't mean it had the same effect as electricity. I thought it was supposed to be non-elemental "magic" damage anyways, a la the pills.

For a final smash, what you should do is this:

- Change the graphic on one of the assist trophies like advance war troops or excite bike into the viruses who spawn everywhere and run all over the stage, then pills start to drop from the sky at the same time until they are all off the stage. Don't know how possible that is to do, but it is an interesting idea.
Okay, thanks for all the differences. That makes stuff alot easier.

The F-Smash wasnt electric? Really? Hmm... Well, I guess this way, he's got a electric F-Smash, plus an electric Down Special. Which means, As Mario is to fire, Doc is to electricity. So he's a doctor and an electrician :3

Wow, that sounds like a booming final smash lol. However, if I textured one of the AT's, if you spawned one, well... wouldn't that take away from the effect? Just saying. I think what I'll do is narrow it down to 2, and then open a poll. In fact, I think I'll update the OP with all our ideas. Anyone is still welcome to add their ideas of course. Let's say until... Wednesday? Then I'll stop accepting suggestions. Deal?

Gea

Smash Master
I figured since you were already editing the capsule, that items may as well have been changed. I don't know how spawning stuff that normally appears in assist trophies works, but it could be possible to make the final smash different in that it has pills/other effects, and the assist would only have the viruses pouring out.

Anyways, I personally don't like elemental attacks (what with Olimar's resistance and all) but it is your project, so do as you wish.

If you really feel up to it, changing bair's animation to look more like Melee's would make me cream my pants, along with making fair the actual KOBE.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
I figured since you were already editing the capsule, that items may as well have been changed. I don't know how spawning stuff that normally appears in assist trophies works, but it could be possible to make the final smash different in that it has pills/other effects, and the assist would only have the viruses pouring out.

Anyways, I personally don't like elemental attacks (what with Olimar's resistance and all) but it is your project, so do as you wish.

If you really feel up to it, changing bair's animation to look more like Melee's would make me cream my pants, along with making fair the actual KOBE.
Ah, good point, the capsule is edited... maybe then!

Yes, I, too, am sick of all the element-crazy psa's. I'm not making a water F-Smash though, or a fire aisupoag, a darkness asdohypoag, or a wind kind of kihaoiae... lol. Nah, I'll stick to just electric, but not everything will be electric, only some attacks.

Bair? Sure, I'll see what I can do anyway... and what do you mean by KOBE? I'm not into all this young-people talk :3

Smash Apprentice
For a Final Smash, everyone is put asleep with flowers on their heads, and capsules (with the pill texture) spawn on the stage for Doc to throw.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
Final Smash: Expert Practitioner
Dr. Mario does a taunt as it zooms in on him. His hands start glowing with the aura effect. His hands are made to HEAL! His throw moves suddenly get changed:

Grab melee move:
Surecharges: He headbutts the opponent for 1% damage each, but each attack has few frames, allowing him to rack up the bill. Coins pop out for each time he does this.

Enhanced throw move ideas:

Proctology Check-up: Bend over. This won't hurt a bit, I'm a professional. Does 12-19 damage, low angle knockback.

Anesthesiology: The good doctor pulls out his handy Drug Redistributing Epidural/Analgesia Machine and sedates his patient so he can take care of them without any interruption. (Possibly use the whole "Snake lie down" animation?)

Scalpel Jockey: Time for your surgery! Powerful slash effect.

Placebo: A pill shove means 15 damage given or a worsened condition (flower on head effect)...OR POSSIBLY INSTANT DEATH. But most likely it'll help! (You should set the percentages how you want to; I think a random number generator would work, and that's the only one I know we can manipulate for sure.)

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Kobe AKA THA DUNK is what the Melee peeps call Doc's fair.
OHHH.

Okay, so I'm gonna clean up the post about the FS's and keep 3-5 ideas in there, so it'll be easier to vote later.

EDIT: I combined similar ideas to the first person to post it; i.e. if Bob posted falling asleep and Bill posted it to, I noyl kept Bob's quote.

Fool's Gil

Smash Apprentice
Final Smash-Untitled

Dr Mario does the same Final Smash as Mario, but it's A) White, and B) Electric. Anyone who touches the electric wave is held in a paralyzing shock(Similar to ZSS's shots) for an abnormal amount of time, giving Dr Mario a chance to finish his opponents of with full charged Smash Attack

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
Steal Ness' B-air.

And to make Down B not entirely worthless, can it spike like SSB64 Mario Tornado?

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Final Smash - Doctor's Order's.

As Dr. Mario Says "Lets-a-go!", he Pulls out a Capsule and Eats it, The Star Music plays, then Mario's Speed, Strength, And Weight Are Increased! Also Making him invicible! Only last's for thiry Seconds or less. Your choice.

And for the Eatting part, just Steal Wario's Item Eat Animation, And Make the Garlic into a Capsule.
If you think of a better name that would rock.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Final Smash-Untitled

Dr Mario does the same Final Smash as Mario, but it's A) White, and B) Electric. Anyone who touches the electric wave is held in a paralyzing shock(Similar to ZSS's shots) for an abnormal amount of time, giving Dr Mario a chance to finish his opponents of with full charged Smash Attack
Final Smash - Doctor's Order's.

As Dr. Mario Says "Lets-a-go!", he Pulls out a Capsule and Eats it, The Star Music plays, then Mario's Speed, Strength, And Weight Are Increased! Also Making him invicible! Only last's for thiry Seconds or less. Your choice.

And for the Eating part, just Steal Wario's Item Eat Animation, And Make the Garlic into a Capsule.
If you think of a better name that would rock.
Okay, thanks guys! I'm adding them to the "Other Things" Post.

~IDEA SUBMISSIONS HAVE CLOSED~​

Steal Ness' B-air.

And to make Down B not entirely worthless, can it spike like SSB64 Mario Tornado?
Can do and Can do ;)

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Are you gonna add the other ideas to the OP?
I went through the submissions and took ones that I could/be willing to do, and also combined similar ones. They are not in the OP, but the post just under it.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind that if you use Doctor's Order, you're going to have to make it really short. True timers haven't yet been discovered, the best that can be done is to make a value that goes down a certain amount at the beginning of each subaction, so any time limit will be indefinite at best. Also, remember that unlike other 'transformation' Final Smashes, the timer regulating the appearance of the Smash Ball will still run, so make sure you don't run into the 'infinite chain of Final Smashes' problem that plagues Zero!
Or, to make it easier, just don't make him invincible, only stronger offensively. That way it won't be overly broken even if it lasts up to the next Smash Ball.

Top Bottom