• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
in my opinion hes in the middle he could skip a game and then comeback again but wheres the suspense in that

Folt

Smash Ace
Nope, reason being he was added to fill up spaces on the roster so the roster could have more variety. Think of this, Smash 4 wouldn't have Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doc if the 3DS could handle more diverse characters like Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and possibly some other characters that have more variety than the clones in the game. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Who knows, maybe Sakurai will have more characters on the Wii U, which is what I'm hoping for, since the console and more power.
More like it was them or nothing. Compared to making f.ex. Mewtwo (or any of the others), Dr. Mario and the other two wouldn't take very long to implement.

Also, Sakurai has said that both games will have the same roster.

In regards to if the Doc will be coming back in a new Smash, that's pretty likely. He's definitely different enough from Mario that you'd need to play him differently, he has weird properties (particularly the pills and the nair), and most people would probably look at him and say "Oh! Mario as a doctor. Cool beans! :D"

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I played as Dr. Mario when this happened, although my ears could've simply been playing tricks on me somehow. I almost forgot that I made this thread considering how pointless it seems now.
It's ok, i can accept that from someone who joined in september. :upsidedown:

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
i will say this while appearing in 2 games doesnt guarantee you a slot it definitely does improve your chances as remember ice climbers were in 2 games and they were cut in 4

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Nevermind what I said earlier, since Sakurai confirmed Dr. Mario was originally to be a palette swap in this game, i'm pretty sure he'll be cut next game.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
# 4
For once I won't say the green palette just because of my green-loving-bias.

My favorite palette swap for Dr. Mario being the Light Green palette is actually for the logical reference fact, that Doctors in operations who often see red blood all the time, the red signal in the brain fades making it harder to see. Looking at the green on their scrubs helps refresh their vision & keep the eyes sensitive when looking at red.
Welp, you just switched my main costume from black to green.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I wasn't too fond of the yellow, purple and pink ones.

However, after seeing them in game and using them, I started to like them

I think Dr. Mario palettes are awesome.

Perhaps, my least liked one would be the yellow one, but I still like it as a color choice.

Cant wait to see them all in the wii U version.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I like Banana Doctor and black Doctor the best. Black Doctor was my favorite in Melee. I pretended he was a family planner.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I don't really mind his inclusion, but I'd rather his slot go to another clone. Not even Lucas or Wolf, really, just a newly created clone of some sort. Funky Kong? Waluigi? Medusa? Shadow? Proto Man? Mike Tyson (not really)?

Still, though, I think the people losing their minds over it are a bit overdramatic. There are far worse uses for spare development time.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
While Lucina was my most wanted Smash character, the way her moveset ended up being, I would've rather had Roy back with his fire properties. On a similar note, I would've rather seen an electric Captain Falcon clone in Mach Rider, or a slower, harder hitting Sheik clone in Impa, or a full clone Alph using Rock Pikmin. On a similar note, I would've loved to see Lucina have stayed a Marth alt in addition to having Chrom as an Ike alt.

Dr. Mario would've felt much better to have back if we had also gotten Roy and/or Mewtwo. Otherwise, it feels slightly unjustified to me. That said, I'm glad that he's back. I really like Dr. Mario.

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
I could see Dr. Mario going either way. I don't mind Dr. Mario (though I don't mind clones at all), and people seem to like that he uses a Melee moveset. Now, I've never played much of Melee, so I've never really gotten much experience with him but from what I can see he is about a clone to Mario as Dark Pit is to Pit. So I'd say the chances are 50/50.

Spirst

i will say this while appearing in 2 games doesnt guarantee you a slot it definitely does improve your chances as remember ice climbers were in 2 games and they were cut in 4
The reasoning for their cut is different though. They were intended to be included but the shortcomings of the 3DS hardware disallowed this. It's a technical issue moreso than an analytical character one.

Last edited:

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
The reasoning for their cut is different though. They were intended to be included but the shortcomings of the 3DS hardware disallowed this. It's a technical issue moreso than an analytical character one.
perhaps but i was simply stating my opinion which was just because you appeared in 2 games doesnt guarantee you will be a staple so dr.mario coming back is 50/50 in my opinion

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I could see Dr. Mario going either way. I don't mind Dr. Mario (though I don't mind clones at all), and people seem to like that he uses a Melee moveset. Now, I've never played much of Melee, so I've never really gotten much experience with him but from what I can see he is about a clone to Mario as Dark Pit is to Pit. So I'd say the chances are 50/50.
Actually Dark Pit makes Dr Mario look like Rosalina in terms of how unique they are.

The only differences with Pit and Dark Pit are the bow, arm and final smash. besides that, they're apparently identical.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The next Smash is coming this November 21st. No I'm not kidding,5mash is a different version. If Sakurai considers Sm4sh for the 3DS & 5mash for the WiiU different versions of Super Smash Brothers, then that's that. So from that logic, yes he's 100% guaranteed.
:troll:
Now if you mean SSB6, he'll most likely return imo. He was planned to be playable in Brawl, & Melee was a staple game in Smash with the good ole Doc here & now, I see him coming back to make a stand.
Yeah, because series' staples mean so much to Sakurai...

I really hope he gets cut next time around, or at least becomes an alternate costume, like he should be.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Let's face it, I'm pretty sure Doc is here to stay.

He represents one of Nintendo's biggest forays into the puzzle game genre successfully, both of his major games (Dr. Mario on the NES, and Dr. Mario on the Gameboy) were huge sellers and a lot of people know him, he's Mario! He was supposed to be in Brawl so I imagine he's gonna be coming around for quite some time.

People who think he's not "relevant" or something like that need to like, deal. Also no alts because Dr. Mario with FLUDD would just look weird. What would it spray, medicine? And let's not talk about Doc shooting fireballs instead of the pills (at that point even the novelty of the Dr. Mario costume would be gone)

Also as far as my comment on sellers, 7th best seller on NES, 8th best on Gameboy. I'm pretty sure he's gonna be back whenever possible :3

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Dr Mario as a series is still on going, too. It hasn't been a year since the last installment. (Granted, it's Dr. Luigi, but it's still the same series lol)

Last edited:

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
Nevermind what I said earlier, since Sakurai confirmed Dr. Mario was originally to be a palette swap in this game, i'm pretty sure he'll be cut next game.
Well then he said it would be weird for Doc to shoot fireballs and use flood. I think he will be back next smash. Unless Sak just gets fed up with all the hate over clones and just get rid of all of them.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Yeah, because series' staples mean so much to Sakurai...

I really hope he gets cut next time around, or at least becomes an alternate costume, like he should be.
To be decently fair, IC's are a different story. . .you know full well as to why they aren't here with us right now.:ohwell:
But keep holding out hope, because he could be cut & used for different places such as a palette / 8th bonus palette or as half of Mario's palettes similar to Olimar & Alph. Though I still believe that he'll likely return to SSB6, if he weren't, then Mario's Custom Specials could have some Dr. Mario in them, much like Ness' Lucas-esque attacks. If, Custom Specials are a returning element into Smash Brothers.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Nope, reason being he was added to fill up spaces on the roster so the roster could have more variety. Think of this, Smash 4 wouldn't have Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doc if the 3DS could handle more diverse characters like Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and possibly some other characters that have more variety than the clones in the game. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Who knows, maybe Sakurai will have more characters on the Wii U, which is what I'm hoping for, since the console and more power.
Well Mewtwo got confirmed.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
My wish got granted. If Mewtwo could return, I'm sure as hell thinking Smash 4 could possibly bring back every character into Smash. Well, besides Pokemon Trainer of course, and maybe Snake since he's from Konami (I think).
Roy? No, Lucina is our new Roy. Pichu? no thanks. Young Link? We have Toon Link for that. Ice Climbers? 3DS busted them but maybe they reconsidered them and now they are working to make them run in the 3DS. Lucas/Wolf? Many things indicate they were ditched inmediately. I could be wrong about everything I just said though.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Roy? No, Lucina is our new Roy. Pichu? no thanks. Young Link? We have Toon Link for that. Ice Climbers? 3DS busted them but maybe they reconsidered them and now they are working to make them run in the 3DS. Lucas/Wolf? Many things indicate they were ditched inmediately. I could be wrong about everything I just said though.
The magic of changing characters. That's what Project M did to Lucas to make him seem like a new character. If a bunch of teens working on a mod could do it, professionals could do so too.

Folt

Smash Ace
To be honest, Lucas and Wolf were pretty much the two whose semi-clone status are the most disputed. Remaking them from scratch (which is pretty much what Sakurai and the team did with the other veterans for this installment) would take about as long as making a character usually does.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
The magic of changing characters. That's what Project M did to Lucas to make him seem like a new character. If a bunch of teens working on a mod could do it, professionals could do so too.
They don't have development time, deadlines, or an entire system to alter/recreate, especially if we're talking loads of content like in the WiiU version.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Hello lads !
So recently I wanted to re-main Dr.Mario and found myself loving playing with him again. I've practice a little with him in the "For Glory" mode and I'm pretty good with him but I still need some training. So, why not having a sparring partner for having some mirror matches and so for training ?

This thread is here for all of the people who wants a partner that's also main Dr.Mario. You can ask for a match before if you want.

So, anyone wants to help me progress with Dr.Mario ? I have skype and steam for communication.

Thegopher

Smash Cadet
As in... when the wii u version comes out who am I gonna have to best to become the best S4 doc in the world?

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539
I don't think most pros are bothering with him atm though Sky AKA Sky Williams plays a pretty good Dr. Though his main is Captain Falcon.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As long as they give Mario his original movesets back, I really don't care. Then again, it could go either way.

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Hey I'm going around from thread to thread looking for some practice with each of the characters, if you're fairly active and confident with your competitive skills please send me a message with your friend code my FC is 3781 0352 9739

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom