• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcard

Smash Cadet
The arguments against always seem to confused me, knowing that time and time again it's been said that they didn't take anyone's spot.

It's a matter having having something extra or not having anything there at all.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I thought this was a "SERIOUS" discussion thread. Let's keep the jokes to a bare minimum.

Personally, I don't think any clone ever got in "over" anyone. What bothered me were how the 3 clones look and feel rushed, with very little thought and effort put into them, Dr. Mario included.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
Gameplay-wise, he's harmless. Just a bonus character who's there to give more options. I also happen to love his playstyle in melee.

My dislike of the Doc is purely on a conceptual level. As others have stated, he's literally the most popular Nintendo character but in a doctor suit. His inclusion really cheapens the roster and the game in general. He just feels so incredibly tacked on. Yes, given the choice, I would rather not have him at all.

The idea that a character wearing something else can justify another slot just opens up a floodgate. I would also veto ideas like:

Goron Tunic Link
Cosplaying Pikachu
Tie-less Donkey Kong
Orbitar Pit

Could you imagine how sloppy the game would look with those as completely separate characters? The main thing Dr. Mario has above those choices is Veteran status. Even Dark Pit has the decency to be a different person. There's also the fear that Doc could completely outclass Mario, but that's a different discussion.

So, to reiterate: Gameplay-wise: Ok ,but Conceptually: Blech

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Nice, he's got a brighter red alt now, like in P:M. I might actually end up using that more than the black one, depending on how it looks in-game.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
What a weird entrance. I like it!

He seems relatively unchanged which is a nice gift. Welcome back!

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Only thing I'm truly disappointed about: no unique victory theme.
Rosalina gets one from Super Mario Galaxy, but Dr. Mario doesn't get a remix of this?
Yeah, but I can't get enough of it when the announcer says "Doctorrrrrrrrr....MARIO!" He says it way different than the Melee announcer did.

Folt

Smash Ace
If a different version of a character (or a character with different clothes) get differences in gameplay, whether small or large, I'd go for it. Whether it's being a different take on a moveset or the character itself, it would be fun to try out.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I definitely think that his inclusion is justified. Dr. Mario was one of the most loved arcade games by Nintendo ever. Someone on another site replying to someone complaining about the clones and how none of the characters deserved to get in:
hahahahahaah

no no, no no no no

honey

Dr. Mario was one of the most popular arcade and early Nintendo games of all time. Ask anyone over the age of 25 and they'll tell you they LOVED the old Dr. Mario games.
The only thing wrong with Dr. Mario's inclusion is the fact that he is a clone. Give him a unique moveset and we would be in business.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Gameplay-wise, he's harmless. Just a bonus character who's there to give more options. I also happen to love his playstyle in melee.

My dislike of the Doc is purely on a conceptual level. As others have stated, he's literally the most popular Nintendo character but in a doctor suit. His inclusion really cheapens the roster and the game in general. He just feels so incredibly tacked on. Yes, given the choice, I would rather not have him at all.

The idea that a character wearing something else can justify another slot just opens up a floodgate. I would also veto ideas like:

Goron Tunic Link
Cosplaying Pikachu
Tie-less Donkey Kong
Orbitar Pit

Could you imagine how sloppy the game would look with those as completely separate characters? The main thing Dr. Mario has above those choices is Veteran status. Even Dark Pit has the decency to be a different person. There's also the fear that Doc could completely outclass Mario, but that's a different discussion.

So, to reiterate: Gameplay-wise: Ok ,but Conceptually: Blech
I'd like to play Tie-less Donkey Kong. Is it on the eShop?

In seriousness though, Dr. Mario is Nintendo's biggest and most successful puzzle game. All it got in Brawl was a simple music track. Now the argument boils down whether or not the series actual deserves a character, but what I'm trying to say here is that unlike other clones Dr. Mario actually has his own series. (The fact that he's part of the Mario series in Smash puzzles me in all honesty since Dr. Mario is a game developed by an entirely different team of people and isn't even in the same vein as Yoshi's Island)

But I'm curious, does Zero Suit Samus bug you too?

Last edited:

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Black costume of the death, glad Dr. is back and have my fav. costume with him.
Time to practice and main him like Melee.

sm0kemonster

Smash Rookie
What justifies him, in my opinion, is the fact that they gave Mario the Fludd. Doc has the tornado that everyone wants. A better decision, in my opinion, would have been give Mario the tornado and scrap the Fludd, give Mario an alt for the Doc, and give that alt pills instead of fireballs (is that possible?)

I don't believe that he's using up another character slot.

I also like that they brought back a Melee player the exact way they played in Melee. I would have been annoyed if they would have cut corners bringing back Mewtwo.

Overall, I think they should have made Doc an alt for Mario, Young Link an Alt for Toon, Pichu an alt for Pikachu... Would that have been that hard?

Folt

Smash Ace
What justifies him, in my opinion, is the fact that they gave Mario the Fludd. Doc has the tornado that everyone wants. A better decision, in my opinion, would have been give Mario the tornado and scrap the Fludd, give Mario an alt for the Doc, and give that alt pills instead of fireballs (is that possible?)

I don't believe that he's using up another character slot.

I also like that they brought back a Melee player the exact way they played in Melee. I would have been annoyed if they would have cut corners bringing back Mewtwo.

Overall, I think they should have made Doc an alt for Mario, Young Link an Alt for Toon, Pichu an alt for Pikachu... Would that have been that hard?
Toon Link's and Pikachu's proportions are vastly different from Young Link and Pichu's. They'd have to stretch and/or shrink their models by a good lot, and the end result would look pretty awful.

I have already given my thoughts in regards to Dr. Mario as an alt, so I won't say anything more.

KingLucasx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordViLL
Dr. Mario was a waist of a slot. I Don't mind Lucina or Dark Pit since I can just customize their moves. But out of any melee cut characters it should had been Mewtwo and made Dr. Mario a costume.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Oh yeah my Melee main has returned!!!! Bring on the pills!!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Dr. Mario was a waist of a slot. I Don't mind Lucina or Dark Pit since I can just customize their moves. But out of any melee cut characters it should had been Mewtwo and made Dr. Mario a costume.
While I wholeheartedly sympathise with you, you have to understand that creating Mewtwo would have taken a lot more time and effort to make Mewtwo. Doc is super easy to make and has different enough properties to Mario to warrant being a new character, but not so different that it took more than, say, a few days and a small number of developers to create.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I used Dr. Mario in Melee, and plan to use him again here, but no. I don't think he was justified. I feel like he would have been better as an alt for Mario in the same way Alph is an alt for Olimar. Not to mention he might outclass regular Mario entirely.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
One of the main reasons people hate Dr Mario compared to the other clone characters the series has had is because Mario and Dr Mario are the same character, just in different costumes. Other clones in the series can easily be justified (Link and Young Link live in parallel worlds, Pikachu and Pichu could be different Pokemon etc), but people are usually stumped at Dr Mario's inclusion.

But the thing is, there really shouldn't be a problem. Every character in Smash bros is summoned across time, space and dimensions by Master Hand to fight for his amusement, yes? Well then, he should have no problem in taking two versions of Mario from the same universe at different points of his life and making them fight. It's really no different from having Samus fight Zero Suit Samus or having Sheik fight Zelda. The only reason people cut Sheik and ZSS some slack is because they aren't clones.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Expected an Alternate Costume for Mario, but got something more.

Definitely gonna play him over Mario now. ****ing hated FLUDD so much.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm more confused as to why he was in melee in the first place, Were there no better options for filler clones than a 3rd mario who is literally mario? I mean Daisy as a peach clone, Funky as a DK clone and Paula/Jeff as a ness clone are all FARR better options imo

Vidd

Smash Cadet
In Smash Bros 64, the characters were actually dolls. It's totally realistic in the canon for Mario dolls to exist from multiple game series, just like in real life.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is Smash a diplomatic meeting where you have to be privileged to get a spot in the game? :V

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I never wanted him back as I really didn't see the point of two Marios when two Links are different people despite playing the same. Doc will most likely be used as my punching bag.

Happy for the Doc supporters though

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I supported his inclusion because Mario has lolFLUDD, but I thought he pretty much had NO chance, along with every other Melee veteran besides Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I'd like to play Tie-less Donkey Kong. Is it on the eShop?

In seriousness though, Dr. Mario is Nintendo's biggest and most successful puzzle game. All it got in Brawl was a simple music track. Now the argument boils down whether or not the series actual deserves a character, but what I'm trying to say here is that unlike other clones Dr. Mario actually has his own series. (The fact that he's part of the Mario series in Smash puzzles me in all honesty since Dr. Mario is a game developed by an entirely different team of people and isn't even in the same vein as Yoshi's Island)

But I'm curious, does Zero Suit Samus bug you too?
Tie-less Donkey Kong featured in the original and widely iconic arcade platformer. You could make an argument that his appearance would be justified too. (Though, now that I think of it, he's technically Cranky right? hmm...).

I get that Dr. Mario was a popular puzzle game, but it still does not justify adding in the same character twice for me. I feel that an alt costume would have been perfect.

The key difference with ZSS & Sheik is that they aren't clones. ZSS and Sheik are vastly different, both in terms of character design and playstyle - it kind of justifies a second character slot. (For the record, I wanted Sheik to be replaced by Impa for elegance in design, but eh.)

I just want to express my disappointment with the Doc, hopefully I'm not coming off as explosively whiny . Dr. Mario is just a pet peeve of mine in terms of game design. In the end, I still love his fighting style.

Last edited:

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I used Dr. Mario in Melee, and plan to use him again here, but no. I don't think he was justified. I feel like he would have been better as an alt for Mario in the same way Alph is an alt for Olimar. Not to mention he might outclass regular Mario entirely.
That's a bad thing?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
That's a bad thing?
On a game design level, yes.

You shouldn't include a clone of a character that, all in all, is just buffs of the original with some negligible weaknesses that won't matter in the long run. So far, Dr. Mario looks like this and I don't like it.

I felt this way about him in Melee and I hope I won't have to feel this way about him in Smash 4.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
My Theory of what happened is that they decided to make Doc Mario an alt because of melee and such, but soon realized that he was going to throw fireballs instead of pills, use fludd,etc and, like what happened to Lucina, made him a new character.

He didn't take anyone's spot on the roster, consider him a + character, he wasn't chosen from a list of possible characters, if he was never included in the game we would have a smaller roster, not a character to take his place.
Im glad he came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom