• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSO Biweeklies @ Drexel (Philadelphia, PA) Back in Business

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
trash talk is one thing, but that was starting to get a little out of hand. its bad when its like almost yelling at the players to the point where its very distracting. also, as much as i dont want to, im going to institute a spectator fee for future biweeklies. itl be something like 2 or 3 bucks, and will pretty much be used for the anmc fund. there were just way too many ppl there last time that didnt enter anything, like 6 or 7 ppl or something (out of 11 that were in the tourney) lol. u wont have to pay the spectator fee if u enter singles or doubles.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The reason i went to the last one was because it was on a friday night and was suppoded to be short. Afterwards we went to the bar. If my friends are going to be forced to pay a spectator fee, I probably will end up at the bar with them instead of the tournament.

I mean it is one thing to get money to reimburse the TO for the time and effort for running a tournament, but a spectator's fee to add to the pot for some tournament they aren't even going to be at is basically just asking people not to come. Especially when its a small biweekly with like 4 tv's, no friendlies, and no **** talking.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
there isn't no **** talking, its cool, fun, and encouraged. its when someone is practically yelling at the players making them completely lose concentration, that's when things have to be toned down a notch.

if im going to go through the trouble of running these events, I can't cater (i had to freggin carry my tv like 6 blocks for the last one which killed my back and pulled the muscles in my arms) to a bunch of people who aren't going to spend a single dollar. 2 or $3 is barely anything. and if it's ok for me to take the money but not put it in the anmc fund, then fine, il keep it, considering im not making any money from these. i probably wont put 100% of the said spectator fee into the anmc pot as il prob keep a couple bucks for my trouble.

also, i just want to have a great pot for the anmc to really make it a spectatcular chain of events. this stuff is big, and i want it to be epic.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I am trying to get Rob and Jim to start playing melee in tournaments. And they both are pretty broke. So I want them to get a feel for the tourny scene without actually spending their money. Instead of a 2$ spectator fee charge a 1$ venue fee for everyone. Here is why that is more reasonable:

1.) I hate feeling like I am giving money to something that has no bearing on me. Why should people who aren't even playing have to give money towards a tournament circuit that they aren't even a part of.

2.) You'd make more money that way.

3.) A venue fee is reasonable because a venue has a cost whether it be money time or effort. People are paying for a service, but everyone is paying for it, not just a select few.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i dont need to charge ppl entering tourneys as they are there doing what i want people to do, entering tourneys. and they are paying for other things as i take out a small percent from the pot. also, think of a spectator fee as a way of enticing people to enter the tourneys. everyone wants more entrants and a bigger pot for the tourneys, and this essentially helps it.

plenty of tourneys charge spectator fee, its nothing new

dont think of paying for the anmc. but wouldnt u want the premiere melee event in the area of this time be sucessful? if theres no big grand prize, a lot of the incentive for the circuit is lost. il just take all the money from any spectator fees gained (which there may not even be any if ppl decide to enter lol) and decide how much i want to donate to the anmc out of my pocket :)

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
A spectator fee is going to make non smashers want to stay away. There were 3 spectators at the last tournament. None of which were even thinking about entering. Most tournaments that charge spectator fees are 1. Larger and 2. made so a business can make money or for a cost that must be re-imbursed. Yours is neither.

I have no problem with people making money from a tournament. I have a problem with only charging spectators this special fee when you are not a business and you have no upfront costs. The melee community is not growing since brawl came out. Spectators turn into players eventually. Pushing them away is bad for the community.

Personally, Fridays are days in which I want to hang out with my non-smasher friends. If my friends are being charged a spectator fee to watch 2-3 hours of smash. I'd rather have that money for beer at the bar and forgo the tournament.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I updated the rules (for melee and brawl) on the first post.

There were more than 3 spectators at the last tourney.
One reason for the spectator fee is because sometimes people come and don't enter an event, and will play friendlies. This was also a big problem at CoT3, not just the biweeklies.

The spectator fee is $2 which is barely anything, though it's enough to reimburse me for the trouble of holding the event.

Also, as these start to get bigger (OOS is starting to come to them) we may start to become strapped for space, and we can't have random people taking up space that aren't contributing to the event in any way.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
One reason for the spectator fee is because sometimes people come and don't enter an event, and will play friendlies. This was also a big problem at CoT3, not just the biweeklies.
No one was allowed to play friendlies at the last one. Players nor spectators. In fact I don't think any spectators played while I was there. What does this have to do with spectators? Friendlies are an issue that mostly involves participants not spectators.

The spectator fee is $2 which is barely anything, though it's enough to reimburse me for the trouble of holding the event.
I understand the need for reimbursement. My problem is the fact that only those who come and can't afford to give their money to Cactuar have to pay the fee. I don't see why spectators are the only ones who have to provide your reimbursment.

Also, as these start to get bigger (OOS is starting to come to them) we may start to become strapped for space, and we can't have random people taking up space that aren't contributing to the event in any way.
When that time comes I would have no problem with it, but if you expect to get anything more than 20 competitors for melee on a friday night in the near future, you are kidding yourself.

Here is my point. If you are trying to get money from a tournament for any reason and you aren't a business, it is unfair to only charge spectators a fee.

Players pay their money to get a chance to win the pot and get a guarenteed number of tournamnet matches. Tournaments also draw players that poeple may not normally play. As a spectator, your money is there too watch. There are plenty of vids on youtube. What is the incentive for people to give you $2.

The term spectator is misused in this instance. No one is coming solely to watch. They are coming to hang out with friends and cheer on their bros.

And in my experience these people become regular players. Alienating them is bad. Edit: Better Example - How would you feel if you were charged a cover charge at a bar because you weren't drinking, but all your friends who were drinking got in for free?

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
100% agree with chibo.

what's wrong with the spectators paying. they're not contributing to the tourney or cactuar as you say so they contribute 2bucks no biggie imo.

also there was friendlies from what i remember. but I was there all day. I know you came around singles and I def remember playing at two t.v.'s lol. maybe i just have lucky timing

Pakman I'd either enter the tourney and if it was out of my league / wallet I'd cough up the dough and pay the spectators.

"And in my experience these people become regular players. Alienating them is bad. Edit: Better Example - How would you feel if you were charged a cover charge at a bar because you weren't drinking, but all your friends who were drinking got in for free?"

Similarly I'd understand it's a business. I can't be there taking up space doing nothing. I've seen this at restaurants with highschool kids etc. Everyone just wants to hang out but it's a place of business, so they cough up some money and get the cheapest thingo n the menu and are allowed to stay.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea there were friendlies before pakman got there, mainly between singles and doubles, and before doubles started.

people who enter the tourney are contributing as well as I take a percentage out of the pot. last tourney i barely took any out from the small attendance, but i took out $5 for my troubles (to pay for singles lol, though i did pay for doubles), and $5 for the anmc. normally id take out a tad more than $10 lol, but i couldnt take more than that with a 11 person tourney with $5 entrance fee

uh oh brawllover is back from being banned lol

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Apparently after this first tourney on the 3rd, I'm on Triad's ****list. :laugh: Dude, I always talk sh*t. . . You'll be alright. Go hug your girlfriend or something, but that mess was funny. Need to bring a mic to these things, Chibo.
Yo, I heard you during one of my matches. I have no idea what you were saying but I know I was dying. Dude is hilarious.

ChibiLoner

Smash Cadet
Sweet, tourneys in Philly. I'd definitely like to check them out sometime... I'll try and bring some friends from my school who are interested as well. ^^ But wait, something about no friendlies...? =/

On the spectator fee note... I've seen tourneys that charge venue fees to both players and spectators even, but I think it's understandable to charge a small fee... Especially if there was a considerable amount there and they're just, in a sense, taking up space... (unless there will be friendlies then there'd be more of a reason to pay it) It's a mixed bag, I guess.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
friendlies are allowed, its just that i obviously dont allow them during the tourney like everywhere else so it can run as fast as possible

edit: didnt notice till yehs said, but 3000TH POST!

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
3000 posts for chibo yay. So...what time would singles start? Because if I still go I'll be late.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
singles will start after doubles, normal deal. im gonna be strict and start doubles at 6pm and singles will be after that. so like, idk, 8pm or something? itl be worth it, u should come lol

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
oh snap I thought doubles was starting at 4 or something (didn't read)

the reason I was asking was because I have a review for an exam from 3-6. If keitaro wants to wait for me I'll be there.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Hey Chibo, how do you feel about adding Corneria and Green Greens to counter pick? Those stages are fair, and extremely bad for ROB.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
well like dude, u dont have to go to it lol
Well I feel like I need it. Unless you can provide a dissected human body for me to study at the tourney. Unless you're referring me not having to come to this, which I want to do :)

Hey Chibo, how do you feel about adding Corneria and Green Greens to counter pick? Those stages are fair, and extremely bad for ROB.
I really hope this is a joke lol.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
actually i love corneria lol. i used to allow both at my tourney but was later proved that they arent that good for tourneys. especially green greens. corneria isnt as bad imo, but not good enough for tourneys

edit (didnt see yes' post): na i meant dont go to the review, but i cant supply a dissected human. unless u bring a knife and inui comes :)

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
O come on Chibo, there great stages. I know you want to play me on Corneria and Green Greens. All Falco's buddies with come and shoot you from the sky, and Green Greens it's just so much fun getting chain grabbed into a bomb.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
O come on Chibo, there great stages. I know you want to play me on Corneria and Green Greens. All Falco's buddies with come and shoot you from the sky, and Green Greens it's just so much fun getting chain grabbed into a bomb.

Corneria and Green Greens would be amazing if the walls were gone and if Fox didn't go on 8 supermodel diets.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
O ok, pretty clever.

Someone come to lounge 101 and play Brawl with me right now.
r u there right now? i can smash at my apartment at 4 30 for like an hour and a half maybe. i live within walking distance. im at work now but il be home at 4 30

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
corner of 33rd and baring (walk down 33rd, it goes market arch powelton baring)
609 226 2287

gotta leave by like 6 30 or something though

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Is this tournament on All is Brawl yet? Also, we should make a flier or something and put it in the Dorms and Lounge 101.

Arrogant

Smash Journeyman
You guys are wildin'. I've steady been getting more and more interested in the game, and part reason being the fact that Pakman's been taking me to these gigs and I see it as good fun. I mean, shoot, I'm garbage at the game, but yo. . . You seriously gonna charge me two bucks to chill and add energy? Nah dude, I'm good. I'll go to someone's living room tourney for all that, where there's gonna be liquor, beer, some non-smashers to talk to and I can talk all the shi* I want. It ain't a major tourney, kn'mean?

Man. . . In fact, forget y'all herbs. I'm gonna get into the game and when I start competing I'm fixin' talk mad sh*t midgame. See how they like me now. . .

Top Bottom