• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EddE's tips on TL (some useful, others weird) + some general TL knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
I played a mirror match (Toon v Toon) online last night, and I can testify to SHBDs' uses. My opponent used it to free himself for a boomerang pull AND a bomb pull (I was rather close to the bomb drop location, so I had to shield.) This can be a game of inches, and/or a game of nano-seconds. :p

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
If you don't like R button being jump and prefer X/Y you can perform a "soul calibur slide" from Y to B to perform double short arrow cancel... if you know the series you know what I mean.

It may turn you around though if you accidently hit C stick >_> so maybe it is better to make R jump.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
If you don't like R button being jump and prefer X/Y you can perform a "soul calibur slide" from Y to B to perform double short arrow cancel... if you know the series you know what I mean.

It may turn you around though if you accidently hit C stick >_> so maybe it is better to make R jump.
its all on the tastes...i use r jump for all my chars, helps me do some "advanced maneuvers" easier

i tried doing that, i always end up hitting a before b

got a pretty cool update

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
shdb is pretty much a mindgame, lets see what ur vids got ;o

been away for a week, graduation trip, and in a few days ill be gone fore 2 more weeks

see the 0 death combo thing i wrote there? its paying off big, usually does 59%+ damage and sometimes kills, thats pretty much what ive been up to lately as TL
Um by this were you asking to show you a video? O_O
Or did you already know about the video and were---
nvm, here it is: Its around the end, sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKuTQSF0Ip8

Bomb C-4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-S3W0SmV8
<_< I like it at least....

Edge Game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pPyVu9_7m8
Important IMO.

I have no idea why I'm posting all this I guess its because I can't sleep. ._.
I should probably link you to the threads that explain the uses huh?

Here:
Bomb C-4 (its halfway down)
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190765

Edge Game:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187021

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
heh right on time, i think i did already write long abo about shbd in front of opponent to then follow with dair

checking vids, will edit

edit: oh, i already got info about that, labeled it bomb dropping, and prolly got info on dairing them (bomb gliding) by some other name

youre too good with the bombs rofl, you never explode them... i really liked your ultimate edgeguard

you really know some good edge tricks lol

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Thanks for the compliments. ^_^
The edge is the only place I know how to play lmao.

I'm still looking into something else and I'll show you when its completed.

Oh, and if these count as combos:
Viet's awesome combo - (you need a bomb out): Zair -> bomb thtow-> Usmash.
It's honestly VERY good.

These I made a while back (not very important, but meh):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDo6BOEc4cw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xIPQLEvWlc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtwiVkEleKA

The third one people say is pretty good. The first one I use a lot. The second one kinda sucks. XD

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Sasuke bowser, on that edge game video, how did you make the boomerang reject you... I saw a different video on it and I still don't understand how it works... Also, how did you make the boomerang go through Final Destination...

Indjoes

Smash Rookie
TL's zair can cancel the air dodge, which isn't greatly useful on it's own, but if you air dodge while holding a bomb and press z(or whatever button you have the grab mapped to) while still in the airdodge animation, you will use zair instead of dropping/throwing the bomb. This just gives you one more option to do while still TL's bomb, and is pretty good for mindgames I've found.

ae31695

Smash Rookie
this article is great i tested it nd it really improved my skills on projectiles barrages.. nd how to rack up damage.. thnxxx

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You shorten "and" to "nd"?
point?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I don't think I can remember all of this, but it helped me out a lot. Definitely worth putting off a pre calc test to read.

cougarsrule08

Smash Rookie
that is some very nice information. I am starting to get serious about TL as my main (as you can tell from pic it was DDD and a host of others). This stuff will come in handy, I have to make sure to incorporate the zair into my game

Lobos

Smash Master
Go ahead an add this

Canceling star K.O. - Right before you get K.O.'d into the air....zair, this will cancel the animation of fading into the background and hitting the screen

Useful maybe for teams to get back quicker but other than that its weird. I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
thinkin about picking up toonlink thank alot. mk gets me far in tournies and matches but he is too cheap, ive come to realize that, hope others can too..

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
welcome dynomite :bigthumbu. you made the right choice coming to toonlink. He is soon-to-be top tier. and he takes a lot more skill to master than metaknight. metaknight is the cheapest person in the game and i would never us- *looks down at sig* nevermind.

Edit:why si this thread only words. its kinda boring. edde needs to add some pics and different colors.

KirbycidexX

Smash Rookie
New AT. maybe....

I've only done this maybe ten times but sometimes while jumping and trying to use a dair and find my self stalling in the air not falling at all but instead continuing my path upward while in the animation of a dair. If anyone could provide any information about this for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

gavicioso

Smash Rookie
these are alright i just really can't see dairs and footstool jumps being used in a well matched game, also i cant really make bairs effective unless its chained to a upsmash, can't figure out the whole fighting backwards thing, just too tempted by the reach and speed of the nair

Darkscyther

Smash Cadet
I've only done this maybe ten times but sometimes while jumping and trying to use a dair and find my self stalling in the air not falling at all but instead continuing my path upward while in the animation of a dair. If anyone could provide any information about this for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
It's not while jumping, but after you get hit you stop your momentum with jump and ada, floating in the air.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what you mean there. Reject me?

Sasuke hax.
jk jk, the boomerang goes through anything as its returning to you. So i threw it and forced it to go through the level for it to come back at me. =)
At one part of the video, you threw your boomerang from the edge and the boomerang stalled and then kept on going forward...

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
At one part of the video, you threw your boomerang from the edge and the boomerang stalled and then kept on going forward...
Oh, that. I mind gamed the boomerang into thinking I was on the other side of the level.

(not really, I know how to do it, but I can't explain logically)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You throw the boomerang... and when its at that point where its turning around and coming back.... it has to be withing the hitbox of something (doesn't have to be something that can be hit). ._.
And it has to be very precise?
Thats the best I got.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Wait....so what actually causes that crazy dsmash angle, just the low percent?
I'm gonna make an [educated] guess on this one...

The second hit in the dsmash has knockback that is based on the % of the opponent (and how stale it might be). The first hit, however, will always have the same knockback no matter what % the opponent might be at. It'll always send you in the same distance whether you're at 0% or 999% (ignoring stale move reduction..if it's even affected by that).

The first hit is designed to hit the person into the second one. If someone is at a low %, the second hit won't hit them very hard. My guess is that it doesn't have enough 'priority' (for lack of a better term) to hit the guy out of the angle the first hit sent them. When they're at 20% or higher though, the second hit can hit them out of it. As a result, dsmash sends them at the weird angle whenever they're below 20% (or standing on an angle where the second hit doesn't land at all).

That's just my guess though. For all we know, I could be completely off and look like a moron. :)

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
I'm gonna make an [educated] guess on this one...

The second hit in the dsmash has knockback that is based on the % of the opponent (and how stale it might be). The first hit, however, will always have the same knockback no matter what % the opponent might be at. It'll always send you in the same distance whether you're at 0% or 999% (ignoring stale move reduction..if it's even affected by that).
first hit sent th
The first hit is designed to hit the person into the second one. If someone is at a low %, the second hit won't hit them very hard. My guess is that it doesn't have enough 'priority' (for lack of a better term) to hit the guy out of the angle the em. When they're at 20% or higher though, the second hit can hit them out of it. As a result, dsmash sends them at the weird angle whenever they're below 20% (or standing on an angle where the second hit doesn't land at all).

That's just my guess though. For all we know, I could be completely off and look like a moron. :)
well, its pretty much what i think

first hit isnt the same from 0 to 999, thats the difference between our guesses, i think knockback does increase, but at low %s the knockback is too bizzarre to be hit by the second... i say the 0 - 999 thing because at higher percents like 10-20% the dsmash's first hit knocks opponents even farther away than th eones hit at 0%

no new TL tricks =/... havent been much around

the newest fancy thing ive done with TL is some stupid mindgame that works rarely... whenever you get knocked high, get a bomb and z drop it, pull other bomb and dthrow it - leaves people confused the first time

oh and some other "discovery"... whenever you get knocked away, to greatly brake/reduce the knockback do a zair (if you spam air dodge, control stick to the side and c stick youll get the zair... theres a huge difference on the reduced knockback when you do this)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey, I havn't read the whole thread but has anyone wrote anything about TL's shield? (not the Z shield but, well you know) anyway if you haven't then as far as I can tell, if your standing still or crouching and something is thrown or shot at you and it hits the shield, it is nulified (or sent back in the case of some projectiles like IC's B) and you take no damage.
Sounds great but there are some problems with this. It has to hit the shield not your head or feet. You have to be standing still, you can't run or walk. If you stand still for too long TL will look around and you will get hit. Anyway you guys should check it out. I'd like to see this being used more often. I've nulified a fully powered nintendo scope b4, funny as hell.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I have 5 specific characters I want to ask for advice for when edge guarding. I read about using projectile(which I do that anyway mainly bombs and boomerang)

How to properly edgeguard:
R.O.B-
G&W-
Sheik-(both ways with up-b and chain recovery)
Ike-
Fox-(both ways as well with up b and side b)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Next time put it in the inquiry thread.

ROB- Forget it. (boomerangs from the ledge. Don't jump off)
G@W- You can grab him out of his up-B if you have the timing.
Sheik- For both: Grab the ledge.
Ike- You can Dair his Aether. You can Zair his aether. You can tether hog both aether and quickdraw.
Fox- Firefox is the easiest move to edge guard lol. You can Zair or bomb his illusion (i suggest Zair). Tether hog if he wants to grab the edge.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok I've actualy read the whole first post now (appologies for my last post, it was already in there)
I do however have two tricks that where supprisingly not in the first post.
The first trick is dair sliding. Do a dair and land in any steep slope and TL will slide a long way down/across. I do this all the time because it makes the dair much harder to punnish.
The second trick is more situational. Throw the boomerang out and as it returns, jump and instantly dair. This will send the boomerang over your head and back down behind you. If anyone is behind you they usualy won't see it coming and get hit.
Note: you can also jump over the returning boomerang to make it fly diagonally up, not as easy to hit someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom