• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I finished the main quest on my mage, and set him aside to play a thief. I'm mostly playing 1h dagger with nothing in the offhand, and switching to Bow at times.
Should I go ahead and carry a shield if I'm doing it this way? Blocking with a dagger isn't all that effective anyways. My sneak levels aren't high enough yet that I can just one-shot everything. And in boss-type fights, I'm taking maybe 10 attempts to come up with a LoS trick to be able to arrow them down super low, and I don't want to have to rely on that style of combat. I almost feel like I'm just hoping to glitch the boss out so I can kill it every time.
I uh... I... Uhm...

Well... It could work. I've just never considered a shield and a dagger.

Blocking with a dagger is probably not a good idea. You're most likely better off with the shield.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can you suggest a more standard or effective approach to solve my problem? I don't know much about what everyone else does in this game, since I'm kinda just rolling my own and googling for general tips from time to time.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Can you suggest a more standard or effective approach to solve my problem? I don't know much about what everyone else does in this game, since I'm kinda just rolling my own and googling for general tips from time to time.
I'm not knocking the idea. Hell, you could go shield and magic. The game WOULD let you.

I'm just traditional in my setups; very Dungeons and Dragons I guess. So when I think shield, I think, swords, axes, etc. I've never considered using a dagger.

You COULD go Restoration and use wards instead? It won't raise your block, but it does the same thing.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Ward

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Block_(Skyrim)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Spellbreaker

Things to consider. I'd imagine blocking with a dagger probably isn't great until your block is higher.

From what I'm reading, Wards are better at blocking magic, shields for blocking physical, and Spellbreaker for both.

If you're going for a Thief/Assassin character, I'd try to not worry about block. My first guy went sword and shield, and he was kind Thief like. But the difference is I didn't use dagger. :/ So the blocking issue wasn't a concern.

I'm more than happy to try and help though.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think what I'll do is go sword and shield when I'm in a melee, and only use the dagger for attacking out of stealth.

I just got my dragon armor set made, so that's pretty epic. I'll make some daedric weapons tonight to carry around as well. My enchanting is almost maxed on this guy now too, so I should be able to put some pretty significant damage down.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
So Patch 1.4 supposedly fixed a lot of issues, including a bug that would make initiating the Dampened Spirits quest impossible.

That's funny, because I just tried starting it today and it WILL NOT work! I have tried so many things and the quests still will not activate.

Good **** Bethesda, ****ing idiots.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Most of these seem awesome and I'm wondering why they aren't already in skyrim, like being able to ride a dragon.
They could have added all of it but all it would have done was delayed the release date by a substantial amount of months.

I bet we might see some of these in some Skyrim DLC in the near future.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
They could have added all of it but all it would have done was delayed the release date by a substantial amount of months.

I bet we might see some of these in some Skyrim DLC in the near future.
I certainly frakkin' hope so. And console side too. I really want it for PC now, but I'm a poor ***. :c No way I can afford it right now.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm on the PC version. I installed skyUI mod yesterday and about **** myself over how much better it is than the default UI.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
D

Deleted member

Skyrim has actually been part of the Workshop for a while, but there is some really cool stuff in it.

For example.

I also recommend one of the many Immortal Followers mods.

D

Deleted member

I haven't actually tried any of the mission mods. I might do so after school gets out.

D

Deleted member

Also, there's evidence that Valve will start selling Steam vouchers in stores.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I wish I had the money to get this on Steam.

Well... I have birthday cash...

Does Steam allow you to use gift credit cards?
Yes, I just used up an AMEX gift card yesterday. I've noticed that if you just bought/got the card (and it was activated less than 3-4 hours ago), that it might not be accepted at first. Took about 5-ish hours before mine was able to be used.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Is anyone else getting bored of this game, even with the mods that periodically come out? The only sort of difficulty I can find in this game is if I play full on mage and even then, there's no class restriction or disadvantage on the x2 backstab gloves you get from the Dark Brotherhood.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I got bored of Skyrim after about 25 hours. I started a new Oblivion file last week and I'm at somewhere around 20+ hours so far.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I got bored of Skyrim after about 25 hours. I started a new Oblivion file last week and I'm at somewhere around 20+ hours so far.
I seriously need to work more on Oblivion. I actually have a lot of games I need to play. I would play more Skyrim, but I let my girlfriend borrow it... that is until the Dawnguard DLC is released.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm not really even that far in the main quest. The farthest I've gotten was doing the relic hunts for Martin, and my current character is just at the beginning of that. Most of my time is from doing the Thieves Guild questline and various other things. I'm currently doing the Dark Brotherhood questline and I'm loving the items I get as bonuses for my hits.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I haven't even gotten that far into the game. I remember escaping from prison, going into the Imperial City, and increasing my speechcraft. Yeah, I have tons of work to do, especially if I want to do the Shivering Isles DLC.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
As a Morrowind vet heading into Oblivion, I hated Oblivion with a passion.

Skyrim, though, is pretty great. I recently finished the Dark Brotherhood stuff, and now I'm trying to decide whether to get going on Thieves guild or finish the Companions. I also haven't done much on the main quest.

finalark

SNORLAX
I recently finished the Dark Brotherhood stuff, and now I'm trying to decide whether to get going on Thieves guild or finish the Companions. I also haven't done much on the main quest.
Sounds like Elder Scrolls.

The one thing I liked about Morrowind over Oblivion and Skyrim was how there was no tutorial. You just made your character then you just went. So making new characters is a hell of a lot less tedious.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
As a Morrowind vet heading into Oblivion, I hated Oblivion with a passion.
My problem with Oblivion is that I started playing the game way after I've gotten used to Skyrim, so the differences between the two games are as clear as night and day, and I quickly lose interest in Oblivion. Still, I may just push through the game, just so I can get through the story and have a better understanding of the saga. That, and the Shivering Isles DLC is said to be awesome solely because of Sheogorath.

Skyrim, though, is pretty great. I recently finished the Dark Brotherhood stuff, and now I'm trying to decide whether to get going on Thieves guild or finish the Companions. I also haven't done much on the main quest.
I actually did the main quest last. My favorite guild to do story-wise has to be the Dark Brotherhood.
The one thing I liked about Morrowind over Oblivion and Skyrim was how there was no tutorial. You just made your character then you just went. So making new characters is a hell of a lot less tedious.
That is so true. I loved Morrowind. I played that game religiously. One thing I did at one point was create a separate save, and went across the entire land of Vvardenfell and slaughtered every able-bodied NPC. It took a long time, but I eventually killed off all NPCs, with guards being impossible to kill off for good, seeing as they respawn. Ahh, it was magical.

D

Deleted member

If you're playing PC, there are plenty of mods that allow you to skip the tutorial entirely.

finalark

SNORLAX
If you're playing PC, there are plenty of mods that allow you to skip the tutorial entirely.
True, but I shouldn't need a third party to fix a game they didn't make.

IMO saying you can use mods to make a game better is like saying you can glitch NES games to make them not suck.

Still, I do love those mods.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
That trailer was pretty hype! Can't wait to dive into the world of Skyrim once again. ^.^
^ This

It's cool enough they're bringing vampires more into the story, but for them to really go in depth with the vampire powers and abilities? Now, I have fallen out of the vampire hype with how cliché and overused it has become, but this DLC has actually sparked my interest in vampires again.

Top Bottom