• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Emil Castagnier/Ratatosk V3.0.0-0 Back in Progress (Again) (NEWS!)

Royal_Blade

Smash Apprentice
Judas, I see where your going at. I have played, and beaten, Dawn of the New World. I took that into consideration. I'm a Tales Fan too.

And on the note of Blade/Swallow Fury, what other character (non hacked) has two separate attacks for one special?
I believe no one.

Fliptocat

Smash Cadet
^I wouldn't call it a completely separate attack, it's more like a slightly altered version. But it doesn't really matter if other characters have it or not, without it you'd have to completely change the neutral B or disable it in air.

Royal_Blade

Smash Apprentice
By the way, I just thought of an idea for alternate color schemes:

In the PAL version of the game, they included head accessories for Emil and Marta. So he could have those. (Similar to Jigglypuff)

Judas

Smash Apprentice
An altered version? You're absolutely right, I just verified, and it is true that Swallow fury is composed of two attacks. In fact there is the first attack where Emil goes behind the opponent then jumps in air bringing the opponent with him. But this is not used. And after that, there is an other movement, which is in fact a modified version of Blade Fury but in air, and this is why Emil does an upward hit as final instead of a downward. So, these are not two separates attacks, they are just two versions of an attack, a little like the attacks with the centurions, and a little like some other attacks of non hacked characters, like for example falcon kick on ground and in air, that's why I'm sure it will keep the name blade fury, for no confusion, and because it is blade fury a little modified, all of this, if this part of the moveset is used, and the voice will probably be in concordance of this air attack too.

You're a Tales of fan? I can't deny that, but from what I see, allow me to doubt that you took into consideration the characteristics of Emil. Because if it was truly the case, you wouldn't have suggested that a green eyed Emil, transformed in Ratatosk during a fight, for few seconds and then suddenly vanished, it is impossible for two reasons, and I talk about reasons tied to the game itself, not reasons tied of textures in Brawl; that I won't say because it will be a spoil.

Edit: The accessories of Pal version? Hum.... I think it is better to leave Emil like he is but if it pleases other people, why not. But the most annoying problem is to get these parts of costumes, and being able to apply them on Emil, where it should be, and that it doesn't make any glitch.

Edit2: Oh, excuse me but with your answer, we could ask ourselves if you realized that you were wrong or not. If you realized the problem, ignore the second paragraph, and you have all my apologies.

Fire-Soul

Smash Cadet
fliptocat, for taunt down could be darkness, water or another element you use on game?

Royal_Blade

Smash Apprentice
Who is the outcome of this hack? Emil? or Ratatosk?
Cause, that's quite an important factor for the final smash. (and for an Entry animation)

@Judas:
-Capt. Falcon-
Down+B(Floor): "Falcon Kick"
Down+B(Aerial): "Falcon Kick"

It's the same move but with different animations.
Also, Swallow Fury is technically not even aerial enabled in the original game.

Side Note: Finished my ideas for a moveset:
Neutral Attack - Two consecutive Slashes. (Works like Marth's)

Dash Attack - A forward thrust. 1 Hit max.

Forward Tilt - A kick-spin. 1 Hit max.

Up Tilt - An upward slash. Moderate Knockback. 1 Hit max.

Down Tilt - "Ravaging Tiger": A rising slash followed by a falling slash. The 2nd slash has low-medium knockback. 2 Hits max.

Side Smash - "Blade Fury": Emil recklessly slashes four times. 4 Hits max.

Up Smash - "Light Spear Cannon": Emil slashes forward then thrusts upward dealing multiple hits. 5 Hits max.

Down Smash - "EX Attack": Emil shortly spin-jumps followed by a downward slash. 1 Hit max.

Neutral Aerial - Emil spins around slashing multiple times. 3 Hits max.

Forward Aerial - Emil slashes upwards. (I think his Anti-Air attack) 1 Hit max.

Back Aerial - Emil kicks behind him. 1 Hit max.

Up Aerial - "Heavenly Tempest": Two rising slashes followed by a spin-cut. 6 Hits max.

Down Aerial - "Havoc Strike": Emil leaps from the ground which he then dives, foot first, towards the ground at an angle. 1 Hit max.

Pummel - ???

Forward Throw - ???

Back Throw - ???

Up Throw - ???

Down Throw - ???

Standard Special Move - "Raining Fangs": Emil jumps into the air and launches several streaks of energy towards the ground. If used in the air, the skips the jump and goes straight to the energy streaks. 5 Hits max.

Side Special Move - "Demon Fang": Emil slashes, releasing a shockwave projectile. Either along the ground, or diagonally in the air. 2 Hits max.

Up Special Move - "Raging Heaven": Three rising slashes followed by a downward slash. Emil moves higher with each rising slash. The downward slash can meteor smash. 4 Hits max.

Down Special Move - "Sword Rain: Alpha": Emil slashes across himself, stabs multiple times, then slashes upwards. 8 Hits max. Ground ONLY. (Like DK's Hand Slap)

This does NOT include element attributes yet.
Speaking of which, why not just have you hold down the "A" or "B" button (or whichever one you have set for specials/attacks) until the first hit is activated. If held down, then you perform the elemental version.
Which will probably make it a player only thing.

Judas

Smash Apprentice
In the original game Swallow fury is not an aerial move, I know this. But the logic here is to only use one part of this move, and this part used is an aerial part. And in the original game, it is also an aerial part. So I see no problem with this move as this is not the entire Swallow Fury that is used for B special in air.

About captain Falcon, I know, but this is the same here, the part Fury is a direct reference to Blade Fury, you can't deny that, so it is the exact same move, but with a different animation, like Captain's falcon kick. Barbatos said he didn't want the entire move to be used in air, and I understand him, because it would be completely unrealist and a fault if we look at Emil's characteristics. But as Swallow Fury has a part that is in air, and this part is an altered version of Blade Fury, we can use it. I definitely support this altered arte, which should be called Blade Fury, in ground and in air.

And honestly about the choice of Emil or Ratatosk, even if they are the same person, I definitely think it should be Emil with red eyes, so Ratatosk if I follow your logic. You're right, it has a major importance for the final smash. The entry animation, the choice is less important, even if it has incidence. But, why should we choose Emil with red eyes? If we play the game, it is definitely the best option. Those who have played the game knows that Red eyed Emil is our best option, not only for the final smash, but when it is about fighting, it is much better to have red Eyed Emil, as in the game when you fight, most of the time, you're Red eyed Emil. (I don't think it is a secret for anyone.) Besides, and this only my opinion, as we're talking about fighting in Ssbb, which is rather nervous especially when there are 4 players, the voice of Red eyed Emil (and I'm talking about his true voice, his original voice, so in japanese), would be better for a fight, because this voice express much more the fact that we're in a fight.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Centurion mode: Enters in this state automatically after you have taken 70% of damages
Aw, hecks yes!

And the last mode:

True Ratatosk mode:

Keeps the changes of Centurion mode, activated automatically above 130% of damages.
Wasn't expecting that. O_O

You don't suppose this will have Emil tread both lines of OP and "too large of a PSA" simultaneously, do you? Forgive me if I'm still in the dark about this, but PSAs still have a file size limit depending on the character being replaced, right?

And to finish:

Final Smash: Dual death+ Devil's Hellfire+ Ain Soph Aur. (When Emil activates this final smash, he does Dual Death. He makes a thrust then unleashes two projectiles that travels along the ground ( do not make them travel as far as in the game). 3 hits max for Dual Death. If this movement makes no hit, the final smash is lost, but if there is an hit, those who are touched by this movement, are forced to be hit by Devil's Hellfire and Ain Soph Aur. The other opponents are safe because they are not seen in the screen, like in Captain's falcon final smash for example.) Do not forget to zoom on Emil when it is necessary like in the game.

22 hits max for Devil's hellfire. And 7 hits max for Ain Soph Aur. Ain Soph Aur, has medium knockback in first, mode, better knockback in second mode, and very good knockback in third mode.

The final smash is stronger according the mode you are, and has more knockback too.

If all of this can actually be put in, this will be one of the best Brawl character hacking projects ever. Bar none.

I read all the topic, and as a Tales of fan, I want to express my opinion.

It would be completely unacceptable to make a Final smash where Emil turns into Ratatosk mode. It would mean that Emil mainly fights with his green eyes. And as a Tales of fan, I'm really shocked that Emil characteristics are truly not respected by this move. Those who have played the game know that the move suggested is completely contradictory and unrealist if we take a look at the game, I won't said more because some people may not have played the game so don't want to be spoiled.. I'm really afraid that this Emil in Brawl will truly lose major parts of his true identity... With the suggestions that were made, we're really going to that side... It would be a real shame according to me...
Spoilers:
I'm pretty sure there are a couple times in the game (story-wise, mind you) where Emil goes into Ratatosk Mode during a fight, analogous to Avatar: The Last Airbender's Avatar State. During this time, I think Ratatosk berates Emil by snarking, "You always make me do your dirty work..." or something to that effect.

With that in mind, I think it would work.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
As you say, mid fight transformations are not out of the question but if we are stuck with one form then red eyed is definitely the way to go.

@royal: Dair cannot have Emil "leap from the ground" for obvious reasons and I hope you're taking into account the fact that airborne Heavenly Tempest involves far less movement than its ground based counterpart. Otherwise,your movelist looks good, if a little lacking in throws.

Royal_Blade

Smash Apprentice
As you say, mid fight transformations are not out of the question but if we are stuck with one form then red eyed is definitely the way to go.

@royal: Dair cannot have Emil "leap from the ground" for obvious reasons and I hope you're taking into account the fact that airborne Heavenly Tempest involves far less movement than its ground based counterpart. Otherwise,your movelist looks good, if a little lacking in throws.
I originally had Havoc Strike as a DTilt, so i guess i forgot to change it. And yes, Heavenly tempest isn't meant to gain height.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Seems to me like Heavenly Tempest would work stay truer to its DotNW counterpart if it were a horizontal recovery move along the lines of Ike's Side-B. I don't recall hearing if that was your guys' intentions.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Really? Huh, I guess I never did set it to Neutral B...

Forget I said anything, then! ^^;

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Heavenly Tempest ONLY has horizontal momentum of you hold forward or back on the control stick. If you don't press anything, the spins still and goes up a bit.
It still seems to move horizontally if I stand still and press the Dpad forward but not if I go from my forward tech (Phoenix Rush) into it in mid air. As such, I think it's merely whether you are airborne or not at the start that determines it, though I could be wrong.

Whatever the case, it would likely be unfair if it caused movement in smash.

Judas

Smash Apprentice
Ryuu seika: Try using Heavenly tempest, but in air. Do not press the necessary buttons for this attack in ground, because the effect is different if you press the necessary buttons in ground and in air.

Judas

Smash Apprentice
I will explain it more detailed. When you do Heavenly tempest, if you are on ground, Emil will always move forward, even if there is no pression on the stick.

But if you are in air, he will always make the same attacks, but he won't move forward, even if there is pression on the stick.

Judas

Smash Apprentice
On ground he always move forward. Always, even if you press the stick in one direction. The only case where he doesn't really move forward is when you're against the limits of the battlefield. And in air he never moves. I just verified this in my game.

Judas

Smash Apprentice
I greatly doubt of this. Emil makes slashes in front of him and moves a little forward, then he turns and moves backward when spinning? It is completely unrealist and I've never seen something like that, I know we're not in a realist game, but the moves have a certain logic, it is as if Emil did the demon fang attack in front of himself and the shockwave goes behind him. And besides, it was on ground or in air?

Judas

Smash Apprentice
This is even more unrealist! How can he do something like that without even turning around? And besides, I've tried it many times, on ground, but he still moves forward... I really really doubt of what you're saying... Besides, I've tried it more than 20 times, and I have still nothing!

But, I suppose it is not really the subject. Soon, you will have a long post about what I think about the moveset of Royal Blade, and believe me, I have a lot of things to say! Even if it is not complete...

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
We are talking about how Emil can change his aerial momentum in DotNW right now, right? Because you can do it with a standard aerial attack by holding back on the Control Stick, away from your enemy... Forgive me if that's off-topic. (You know, I find it kind of weird that we're arguing about realism in a game where trophies come to life and beat the ever-loving crap out of each other. XD )

As a question that's on-topic, was an announcer sound effect going to be added for when Emil's selected on the CSS? If so, I could see if I could get a clip for that. Granted, I'm no Pat Cashman, but I could try coming up with a decent replica.

Unless we can get Pat Cashman himself in on the action, as well, but I kinda doubt that.

Judas

Smash Apprentice
There is nothing weird about talking of realism even in a game like Ssbb, because it has some parts of realism. You won't see Mario use his side B with his hands just in front of him and the cape make a movement behind Mario, if a player saw something like that, he would think even if it is a video game with great imagination, that something is really problematic.

An announcer call? Hum... I heard rumors saying that someone took care of this, but I don't know how it turned...

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Still, the aforementioned cape scenario and jump physics are kind of different matters, especially when you take into account that all characters have multiple jumps anyway and can change aerial momentum at a whim. With that in mind, it seems like it would be an expected side effect than an anomaly.

As for the announcer call, Pat Cashman actually did respond to requesters and did calls for some characters (which can be found here), but, sadly, Emil was not one of them.

Judas

Smash Apprentice
No, I'm sorry it is an anomaly. Normally, first of all, the tempest move in air, Emil doesn't move in TOS2, Royal Blade kept that in mind, so it is not a problem for Ssbb. I just understood now what you were saying, we were talking about the move in T0S 2 not in Ssbb. I was saying that it was completely unrealist the fact that Emil makes slashes moving a little forward then spins as he moved forward but instead of this moves backward, and even without turning around... Obviously something like that wouldn't happen in Ssbb as the move is only aerial and he doesn't move. But to answer your question, if something like that was decided, and I suppose animators won't be so idiot to make something like that, first of all, an aerial attacks that allows the user to move like this would be really unfair, this is the major problem, but it is still unrealist. You can't spin like Emil does and go backward with Tempest, it is completely unrealist. But anyway, this is not a problem because it has already been said you won't move by doing it.

Royal_Blade

Smash Apprentice
But, I suppose it is not really the subject. Soon, you will have a long post about what I think about the moveset of Royal Blade, and believe me, I have a lot of things to say! Even if it is not complete...
If you have any issues with my movelist, than say them. I made a movelist to compare with Barbatos' and try to get the best of both for Emil.

And about the announcer call, why not mix parts of other characters announcer calls?

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
^ I tried that before when I began a Xion project, but it sounded a little odd. I suppose it's worth a shot, though.

Royal_Blade

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I made some stock icons for Emil:

The alternate colors can be changed. They're in the same order as Falco's.
This is just a general stock icon. And I used Red Eyes, but that can be changed if were doing Green Eyes.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Those are really good! They even have the black border and everything! Mad skillz, that. o.O

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
The person in my avatar, actually. I dunno why, but I'm very vocal about female characters getting put into Brawl. Go figure.

Royal_Blade

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Fliptocat, I did sprite them myself. I tried to make them look like brawl styled icons. They all fit the requirements of other stocks. Like:

-They're 32x32, (Actually all brawl stock icons are 31x31 but are saved in 32x32 sized frames)
-They have the black outline like Magmar said, (I couldn't decide whether to have just his head/hair outlined and have his scarf not. Or have him entirely outlined and have his lower jaw/higher scarf to not be outlined. So I mixed both)
-I used colors from other stock Icons only. (So Brawl only colors)
-I tried shading his hair and his skin to be like the other Brawl ones.

I'm glad you guys like them!

Btw, how's the beta coming along? I haven't seen any new pictures or videos in awhile.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
^ You know, I'm curious as to what your process of designing the sprites was. How did you do it? Did you painstakingly add one pixel after another?

Fliptocat

Smash Cadet
I honestly don't know about any progress, i haven't talked to ANLGC in a while.

Royal_Blade

Smash Apprentice
Uh... I guess pixel by pixel? Well, I outlined every color i used. I don't really know. I've sprited quite a few different styles. So... it's just putting my skills at work.
Here are the parts that I used. If it helps...

Top Bottom