• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enter The Darkness: Dark Samus Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Considering that Dark Samus is almost literally the Metroid Prime inside hue Phazon Suit? Yeah, I would dig that.

:phone:
I think it would work better as a Samus costume; I'm not sure how good Phazon suit colors would look with Dark Samus. Maybe it would look decent with the Corruption version, but the costume was still originally for regular Samus.

no offense, but
Stopped reading right there.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think it would work better as a Samus costume; I'm not sure how good Phazon suit colors would look with Dark Samus. Maybe it would look decent with the Corruption version, but the costume was still originally for regular Samus.

Stopped reading right there.
All Redgamer was doing was trying to re-direct the discussion towards if DS actually got into Smash.

@RedGamer: I think a lot of people have been talking about how Dark Samus would be implemented in Smash. The discussion tends to rotate and take a life of its own. However, one of the biggest issues concerning the inclusion of Dark Samus is that she has to contend with Ridley and Sakuai's finickiness.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
@RedGamer: I think a lot of people have been talking about how Dark Samus would be implemented in Smash. The discussion tends to rotate and take a life of its own. However, one of the biggest issues concerning the inclusion of Dark Samus is that she has to contend with Ridley and Sakuai's finickiness.
In that case, how would RIDLEY be implemented is smash?

D

Deleted member

It would work like any other character.
Now, take that discussion to the Ridley thread.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Something I thought about, that I'm not sure really makes that big of a difference, is that since Samus' design will probably reflect Other M, it might be possible for Dark Samus to have more of a "Prime" style. I know that her [Samus] design in Brawl was kind of a mesh between Super Metroid and Prime, so perhaps Samus can go with the slimmer Other M design while Dark Samus has that slightly bulkier Prime design? Like I said, I'm not sure it really makes that much of a difference, but it could be a subtle way to differentiate the two further (as if Dark Samus' floating wouldn't do that already).

RedGamer

Smash Ace
It would work like any other character.
Now, take that discussion to the Ridley thread.
......back on subject...

what about combo ability of the aerials and and using one burst of phazon sending the opponent forward and damaging surrounding opponents for the forward throw instead

Something I thought about, that I'm not sure really makes that big of a difference, is that since Samus' design will probably reflect Other M, it might be possible for Dark Samus to have more of a "Prime" style. I know that her [Samus] design in Brawl was kind of a mesh between Super Metroid and Prime, so perhaps Samus can go with the slimmer Other M design while Dark Samus has that slightly bulkier Prime design? Like I said, I'm not sure it really makes that much of a difference, but it could be a subtle way to differentiate the two further (as if Dark Samus' floating wouldn't do that already).
cool idea, but what what about vise versa? if you could maybe make dark samus slimmer and keep samus the way she is. this way they could just copy/paste samus from brawl and use that.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
That's exactly what i was thinking before reding your post.
Could make the "but it's just a Samus" even less applicable to it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I know that her [Samus] design in Brawl was kind of a mesh between Super Metroid and Prime...
YOU DON'T KNOW **** IT WAS HER ZERO MISSION DESIGN WHICH IS PROBABLY WHERE SAKURAI GOT THE IDEA FOR ZERO SUIT SAMUScaps.

With your suggestion, I wonder if Sakurai would instead feel that inconsistency in style would be a point against Dark Samus.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
YOU DON'T KNOW **** IT WAS HER ZERO MISSION DESIGN WHICH IS PROBABLY WHERE SAKURAI GOT THE IDEA FOR ZERO SUIT SAMUScaps.

With your suggestion, I wonder if Sakurai would instead feel that inconsistency in style would be a point against Dark Samus.
Not really, otherwise Ganondorf (or the Zelda series as a whole) is in more trouble in the next game. The only issue Sakurai has ever expressed regarding design is keeping a universal theme between the entire roster, so no one series looks out of place.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You know, I was considering a Dark Zero Suit Samus but I felt that would be overkill. plus, that would further the notion that Dark Samus is just a clone of Samus in the Smash Bros. universe. I would recommend to leave Dark Samus the way she is without no alternate transformation.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
You know, I was considering a Dark Zero Suit Samus but I felt that would be overkill. plus, that would further the notion that Dark Samus is just a clone of Samus in the Smash Bros. universe. I would recommend to leave Dark Samus the way she is without no alternate transformation.
This is another reason why I do not Dark Samus to be a simple alternative costume or a clone. A nonexistent "Dark Zero Suit Samus" would have to be made.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
I personally think they'll keep normal Samus in her Super Metroid style; they didn't change her after the Prime games. It's also the suit that fits Smash's aesthetic the most, since it's colorful and blocky and looks almost like an action figure.

Dark Samus should still resemble the Prime style, if only because it looks more sinister.

Dark Zero Suit Samus!]
Stitch-face is... Interesting. It kinda is a handy explanation for her lack of dialogue.

This is another reason why I do not Dark Samus to be a simple alternative costume or a clone. A nonexistent "Dark Zero Suit Samus" would have to be made.
Well, we technically already have Dark Zero Suit Samus; you even see her at the end of Prime 2 through transparent armor. She didn't look so hot. Not enough skin and two too many eyeballs. ;)

It makes sense; Metroid Prime only was able to survive by hijacking the Phazon Suit, so it probably can't even exist outside the suit anymore.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Do you think if Dark Samus were to have a final smash it should be something relating to her Metroid Prime incarnation, or should it simply be some sort of Phazon based attack?

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I just wanted to give an example of how different DS would look and feel in game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIm8sRc0kA0

That's even a Samus vertex hack, and you'd be able to tell the two apart really quickly. Think about the difference between that DS and Samus, compared with Mario & Luigi.

More streamlined and organic looking suit, different colors, different shape, and levitation as default movement means these concerns about cloning or similar appearance are only due to lack of information.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
^
¦

Nice. Love the way Dark Samus levitates & charges her arm cannon like she does in game. I have a Dark Samus moveset somewhere...this one seems a bit overpowered.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Make me a Dark Supporter
But DS is totally different, first off she is made of phazon, Sakurai could do whatever the hell you want with that. He could create whole new abilities too her outside of those shown in the Primes, the phazon opens up a freaking highway of possibilities.
Here's my idea of a move-set...

B Special Moves
  • Neutral B-A laser that charges for 2 seconds before firing, similar in size to R.O.B's fully charged laser. Travels in a straight line a causes bleed damage on an opponent. 8% damage on hit, 3% bleed damage for 2 seconds, creates small phazon clouds to appear similar to when a character is on fire.
  • Over B- A Phazon copy appears and punches(When standing still) and jump kicks(When running) out then disappears. In air causes copy do lunge down and explode after 2 seconds, or when hitting an enemy or the ground. 6% damage on standing still, 8% damage when running. 4% damage when hit by the copy, 8% when it explodes.
  • Up B- Phazon shoots out of her legs as a jet, doing damage as well as propelling her high in the air. 7% from explosion, length of ability a bit shorter than Lucario's Up B. Directible, but no damage if you hit an opponent with it.
  • Down B- Lunges forward and latches on to an opponent, then kicks them into the air, if used in mid-air, kicks them downward. 5% damage on the ground and in the air. Not a meteor smash.
  • A Attacks
  • A Combo- Punch, Punch, Kick. 3% damage each.
  • Over A- Roundhouse kick. 5% damage.
  • Sprinting A- Ganor (Backflip moving forward) flipkick. 7% damage.
  • Down A- Swings her feet around in arc. 3% damage.
  • Up A- Swings cannon arm above head. 5% damage.

Smash Attacks
  • Forward Smash- Phazon charged fist hits opponent. 15% damage.
  • Down Smash- Extends out both arms and sends out two copies of herself to hit opponents on each side. 12% damage when hit.
  • Up Smash- Kicks up with a phazon charged foot. 16% damage.

Grapple Attacks
  • Smaller but faster grapple beam. Would be a tentacle of extending from her arm.
  • Forward grapple- Kicks them forward. 7% damage.
  • Back grapple- Spins around and throws them backwards. 6% damage.
  • Down grapple- Pushes them into the ground and sends a surge of phazon along the beam. 5% damage.
  • Up grapple- Holds them up and uppercuts them with a phazon surge on the fist sending them diagonally up. 6% damage.

Air attacks
  • Neutral Air- Sends a surge of phazon across her body, similar to Mewtwo's from Melee. 6% damage.
  • Forward Air- Kicks forward with both feet. 4% damage.
  • Down Air- Does a frontflip and kicks them. Meteor Smash 8% damage.
  • Back Air- Kicks both feet backwards. 5% damage, 10% damage with tip of feet.
Final Smash
  • Floats into center of screen while shooting out tentacles of phazon that swing around wildly across the entire map. 15% damage when hit by each tentacle. 8 tentacles in total in all the cardinal(N,S,W,E) and sub-cardinal(NW,NE,SW,SE) directions. Lasts 10 seconds.
Physique
  • Lighter and quicker than normal Samus with a higher jump and sprint speed.

It might require some tweaking as the damages might be too high or low, and the whole layout might be too stacked.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Do you think if Dark Samus were to have a final smash it should be something relating to her Metroid Prime incarnation, or should it simply be some sort of Phazon based attack?
I'm hoping for Metroid Prime, but it's more likely that she'll either get a Leviathan Seed (Since it's from her more recent game) or a made-up Phazon attack.

One idea might be to give her a "corruption" Final Smash that temporarily turns one or more players to your side as CPUs. It'd fit the character, and it'd be a very unique final smash (However, it couldn't last too long, or it would be unfun to just watch your character fight instead of doing anything).

Final Smash
Floats into center of screen while shooting out tentacles of phazon that swing around wildly across the entire map. 15% damage when hit by each tentacle. 8 tentacles in total in all the cardinal(N,S,W,E) and sub-cardinal(NW,NE,SW,SE) directions. Lasts 10 seconds.
This fits the character, even if she never really used it in the games.

I wouldn't mind this if it turned out to be her final smash.

Smaller but faster grapple beam.
Again, she never really used a grapple beam in the games, so I'm kinda against the idea. If she does have to have a grapple beam, maybe it could be more like a tentacle (such as the one Metroid Prime shot at Samus at the end of the first game).

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
The tentacle is a better idea, and I haven't even played prime 3 or other M, I have have just watched videos and read because metroid is in my opinion one of the most potential series of all time. For DS to be in the game, we have to prove that she can be totally different, which is why I think all her attacks should be infused with phazon as an effect to make her more distinct.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Those are great ideas! I like the tentacle **** one lol.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
With all attacks powered with extra phazon, it makes her more distinct and also makes you feel like a total bad@ss
When you are hitting combos and dominating, dark samus appeals to my inner self

I could see dark samus or Ridley being unlocked either by an event match or using samus to beat their new campaign
Metroid needs more reps I mean come one there is like 6 Mario and pokemon characters, can't metroid get more than 1 person that is technically 2

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Regarding the Dark Samus and Grapple Beam thing, there was this as a concept art for her...

http://i.imgur.com/bPnk0.jpg

Maybe the extension of her left hand was meant to be her version of the Grapple?

There's also this which more people know of (most likely an alternate ending for Echoes, showing what would have happened if she managed to absorb the Light Suit). Could work as an alt costume for DS. Highly unlikely, but it's there.

http://i.imgur.com/O9Zea.jpg

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I still don't get metroid can be popular in the US but not in Japan
But in Japan the games we find boring, well I find boring, such as Mario, can be popular in Japan

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's more-so just the Prime games (only thing Dark Samus was in) being unpopular in Japan than the Metroid franchise as a whole.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I would like some feedback on my proposed move set, I feel that if DS would be considered it would be because she is completely different from normal Samus, and I am not saying Falco to Fox different I mean like Ike to Marth different, stronger or faster,not just a few new moves and slightly different attacks
So any advice on my move set would be great

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's more-so just the Prime games (only thing Dark Samus was in) being unpopular in Japan than the Metroid franchise as a whole.
It is not a big secret that the Metroid franchise is a rather niche series in Japan, which is surprising to me because I'd think Star Fox would be more in that position. Funny how things work.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You forget, Dark Samus is the main antagonist of prime 1 as well... just before it steals your phaazon suit.

As much as I am 100% behind Ridley, and I am a super fervent Ridley supporter, I think Dark Samus is badass as well, and support this character 100% if Ridley is already guaranteed, lol.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I would like some feedback on my proposed move set, I feel that if DS would be considered it would be because she is completely different from normal Samus, and I am not saying Falco to Fox different I mean like Ike to Marth different, stronger or faster,not just a few new moves and slightly different attacks
So any advice on my move set would be great

It's not a bad moveset at all. However it is rather difficult to read; can u clean it up a bit by adding paragraphs, bold words, & underlined words?

You can add bolds & underlines manually by referring to this page:

http://www.smashboards.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

Or u can just edit it using the available tools.

I like ur Final Smash as well as it fits her character, but where's her phazon scatter shot? :(

I see her as a fast, light character who utilizes phazon capabilities at any range. She's very versatile. She's a fighter who relies more on racking damage rather than powerful blows.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I cleaned it up a bit with paragraphs but it would be hard for bold and underlined words because I am using my iPod. I'll do it on my laptop later.

Here are some pictures I found.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
its going to be tough for more characters of any game to get in, everyone is pushing these little obscure characters that only appeared as a minor role. there are like 6 mario characters and they are still pushing Waluigi, there are certain games that need more reps such as metroid, and the characters have to play a significant role in the series,

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Dark Samus seems like the best choice for a Metroid rep after Ridley, but I fear the distaste for Prime in Japan may prevent Dark Samus from being added. If she is in, I'd prefer her Prime 2 appearance. Prime 3's looks a bit too much like the PED suit and much less organic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom