• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evaluation/Help your G&W,Video Critique Thread,Updated (11-01-09))

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
yea i've always wanted a capture card myself...moneys always the problem lol..
Camera is good for now D:

i should have a vid or two of myself up in a few days...have more weeklies coming up so i just want to be ready:D.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@FakeGeorge:

Game 1: I don't know much about the G&W ditto. Hard to give advice here. I hear that bair is really good. Save fair as a kill move.

Game 2: I think one of your big problems was you were a bit impatient. You were so focused on doing damage that you neglected the pikmin eating away at your own flesh. Take care of them first with nair. I think playing more patiently and watching your damage is very useful against Olimar. His pikmin are limited, take advantage of it. Also you need to mix up your style more and grab. If you notice they keep tech rolling, you can SH fair them which has the same effect as sour-spot dsmash.

Game 3: Eh, The wario matchup bothers me as well, especially on Rainbow Cruise lol. One small thing I noticed was you not resetting your move decay with uair. There's no reason not to.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help, UTD Zac!

I'll definitely try to remember that stuff against Olimar in particular.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B0mCFT8iHE versus olimar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy8oL3Lt52I versus mk

I think I played rather well, but I lost against a Wario in grand finals... Seriously don't stale your Fair on him because you think you can kill him at 120%..
nice games first of all:p,i think you played really well

Olimar match
im not really sure about this match up,so i wouldn't know;/

MK Match,your spacing was great, especially with some of the fairs,but i think you did it a bit too much,even though you did get him with it a fair amount of times,and if you missed,you weren't really punished for it. Just careful about that

wow,nice job on Launching MK in the air,thrice :laugh:(
first time was greatxD,second time you should have gone for any attack while you both were in the air,looks like you were trying to land before MK did

lol avoid getting up in front of MK:p,you should have rolled away
but as lucky as you got,you tried going for a grab anyway while MK was spamming dsmash:p
you probably already know but never go for any ground approaches while he's spamming dmash:p,especially near the edge. dsmash>all:mad:

Nice dashes near the edge:]
and the random bacons,actually stopped the tornado once lol

Overall you played well,and you clearly took advantage of the tornado spam
but i didn't see too many nairs or uairs,

This MK didn't seem to know how to Tornado that well lol...he did die at the end:p
Uair forces them to avoid the nadospam

ggs,:)

oh and usually i save the grab into dsmash for a kill shot,but idk up to you

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
This was at Gig's a short while ago. (Novabound and Bartuc2029 are both me, in case you were wondering. I made this account before I thought of a neato name.)

Anyways, I'm fighting Tommy_G, and since youtube is random about uploading, I don't have the first and third match up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80W4aCQCsRM

First match he won with a stock, and then third he ***** me @_@.

(I get nervous at tournies D:)

Noa.

Smash Master
Awesome, another FL smasher. I can't evaluate right now, but later today I'll get to you.

EDIT: Ok, overall not too bad. But in general and especially against Zelda, use bair. Zelda gets ***** by bair.

Don't spam dair so much. It tends to get a little predictable.

Try to use Fair for killing. It's much easier to land and it kills pretty early on Brinstar's small boundary.

On Brinstar, you have to stay in the center. Whoever is inside the platforms while the opponent is outside is winning. The strange layout of Brinstar make it difficult to approach. It was good using your nair to keep her from coming in, but you have to fight more for the space.

Good uair juggling.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i'll get to em later today or tomorrow
check back on this post

alright,i saw most of them,this is what i think:x

for wario, well first of all
awesome kills with the up and B and fart lol
was that your intention:p or did ya just get lucky:laugh: good stuff

you need to space your bairs a bit better

for the first video,you seem to do too many dairs,it becomes predictable at a point
that's why the wario was able to counter or dodge the key a few times
i didn't see too many nairs or uairs, personally i think using more nair/uair is great,it'll keep the wario away far enough for you too approach. Plus in this match,wario seemed to be prancing around in the air alot lol,so it wouldn't have been bad,you could have racked up damage easier that way.

Hmm well you seemed to also up and B alot on stage and that only made it worse for you
because wario was either able to get you with his uair or get you to land into another one of his attacks
avoid using up and B too much

also when he gets you near the edge,try to get back to the center,never go for any attacks IMO
his fmash can kill you pretty early:(

well nice spacing overall

as for the ness match,nice lol
you could have bucketed his recovery a few times
and olimar:p,nice three stock

there was a little more i would have liked to say but i have to go xD
anyway nice GW

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
@foofatron

Why isn't it a stock match o_o?
umm well alright,let me see

hmm don't use bacon randomly on the stage like that,you're bound to be punis hed for it
at most release one if your opponent is trying to recover on stage,but there's alot of better options
you need to work on your spacing alot :(,no other way to say it
you're a bit too aggressive,especially with the fairs
it becomes predictable,and against a better snake,you probably would never land a hit in if you used fairs that many times
work on your SH bairs,and definitely use more nairs when snake is in the air instead of fairs
it racks up damage way easier and has a wide range
Avoid floating around in G&W's paruchute ,it leaves you very vulnerable

becareful with snake after 80%,he can kill you very easily
this snake didn't seem to use uptilt lol

learn how to bucket break

oh and lastly go for more kill moves, upsmash(best),downsmash(common),and forward smash if you know how to use it

when snake is at 150%+,you shouldn't be using bair that many times

Overall you need to work on your spacings and your approaches

Pyrostormer,
i'll get to yours later if i can

foofatron

Smash Cadet
@foofatron

Why isn't it a stock match o_o?
umm well alright,let me see

hmm don't use bacon randomly on the stage like that,you're bound to be punis hed for it
at most release one if your opponent is trying to recover on stage,but there's alot of better options
you need to work on your spacing alot :(,no other way to say it
you're a bit too aggressive,especially with the fairs
it becomes predictable,and against a better snake,you probably would never land a hit in if you used fairs that many times
work on your SH bairs,and definitely use more nairs when snake is in the air instead of fairs
it racks up damage way easier and has a wide range
Avoid floating around in G&W's paruchute ,it leaves you very vulnerable

becareful with snake after 80%,he can kill you very easily
this snake didn't seem to use uptilt lol

learn how to bucket break

oh and lastly go for more kill moves, upsmash(best),downsmash(common),and forward smash if you know how to use it

when snake is at 150%+,you shouldn't be using bair that many times

Overall you need to work on your spacings and your approaches

Pyrostormer,
i'll get to yours later if i can
How do I practice on my spacing? I suck at grabs, I can never seem to land any even from the shield. How do I improve on my grab game and when should I throw them in. But I can get grab even if I'm in shield, wtf is up with that? Right after I press shield, it goes up, then grab. I don't use nairs a lot because most times I hit foward before A so they end up being fairs >_<.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
How do I practice on my spacing? I suck at grabs, I can never seem to land any even from the shield. How do I improve on my grab game and when should I throw them in. But I can get grab even if I'm in shield, wtf is up with that? Right after I press shield, it goes up, then grab. I don't use nairs a lot because most times I hit foward before A so they end up being fairs >_<.

Depends on the character on how much you need to space
spacing requires patience
G&W needs to space well most of the times,especially with some of his attacks like bair

if you want to see how spacing is done watch some G&W videos of others
especially vs snake where G&W needs to space very well

lol yea..people can grab you when you shield
watch our for that

and you'll need to practice your nairs if you want to be good with G&W
isnt that hard ,just need practice

Noa.

Smash Master
I saw the match against ROB.

First off, you need to abuse bair. It's G&W's best approach and you were using way too many fairs. Fair is too laggy. ROB also doesn't have many good options against bair OoS, as long as you space it.

You also rolled. As G&W, you never roll. His roll is slow, laggy and short. Complete crap.

Try to get ROB off the ground more and keep him in the air. Uair and nair handle ROB pretty well.

Another big problem, you didn't bucket brake. Super easy to learn, and super effective. It makes you survive to much longer percents.

Don't try to use your smashes to hard. If you want to hit a good opponent with them then you need to apply a constant pressure game and space your smashes correctly. Throwing them out randomly won't hit good opponents.

When you get a dthrow, ROB is too heavy to follow up with dsmash. That only works on light characters that don't tech. Instead follow up with a regrab or an usmash.

A lot of the time, you get near ROB, and do nothing. When you're that close to your opponent, you should be doing an aerial, airdodging, something so that you're not open.

Overall, not a bad G&W, you just need some more work on the basics.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol i completely forgot xD,im sorry
tomorrow i will get to it,check back on this post

or if someone else could do it,thatd be great

alrighty,few major changes i think you need to consider

i really don't know much about the sonic match up but i know it's in G&W's favor
but i'll base this review mostly on the ROB match ups

wow,you need to bair alot more for both the sonic and ROB matches
and you used too much nair
in both matches,i hardly saw any bair. It's great for getting your opponent in the air and chaining with air combos
which is what G&W needs to rack up damage better
You kept the fight on the ground and trying to approach from front,against ROB lol
Try to avoid approaching ROB from the front,his front tilt is just too long,he'll land in his hit most of the times
You become predictable at a point approaching with nairs so that's why ROB was able dodge/block it and counter you.

Try your best to get Rob in the air,use a few more dairs and uairs
you need to space better as well,you were a bit too campy at some points,which is why he was able to rack up damage with his projectiles

oh and abuse the ledge against characters like ROB

Also If you ever happen to grab rob from 0-10 damage, sometimes you can pull off a utilt->uptilt->nair
racks up alot of damage

As for the sonic matches,pretty much the same comments,

Overall more bairs, better spacing, better approaches>.<
and you need to know when to use your nairs

TKO

Smash Rookie
This is my first post on smashboards, I've been using it for a while now but i've never really contributed but i think i can help out some players on this thread in regards to SPACING YOUR B-AIR. if you don't know how to practice spacing, or don't really know what it is, here's some good examples...

This is a video of God-is-my-rock from the Ageold Theatre tourney videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4asvSS9M0&feature=PlayList&p=19D59D278B3EB3EC&index=1

0:03
spaces his bair properly and avoids luigi's d-tilt by simply pulling g&w away during his b-air instead of getting too close, although in this situation he may have been able to hit luigi with the tip of turtle's last frame

2:21
keeps just enough distance to avoid luigi's attacks but still be able to connect with the tip of his b-air

2:45
again, good spacing. when your enemy shields your b-air its important that you know how to space well or they will be able to punish this move everytime with a shield grab or moves that work well out of a shield, like snakes d-air

4:08
basically the same as the last one

spacing g&w's bair is really easy, just pull back enough to stay out of your opponent's range.

ALSO, this is a good video to watch if you roll too much with g&w, his roll is horrible, try not to do it. learn to use up-b to escape situations you would normally try to roll out of, it works much better. god-is-my-rock is uses it well, watch him.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol i'll have a video of myself up this weekend most likely
been a whileD:,

and welcome TKO:)

TKO

Smash Rookie
haha thanks. and thanks for answering those questions on AIM the other day, i used the friend finder and finally got to play some decent opponents instead of my terrible friends and lvl 9 cpu's haha

TKO

Smash Rookie
@Aurion Team
you posted game 1 against waymas twice instead of game 1 and 3 so...

Hedi vs. Waymas 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9WKcXyCnL8&feature=channel

anyways, idk if theres too much i can tell you lol, you play a pretty solid G&W, you should be giving advice on this thread. im sure some of the other guys could point out a few things for you. the only thing i think you could do is maybe incorporate Uair juggling a little, although there werent really many opportunities for you to use it in those matches, thats the only thing that i noticed was lacking.

also, you might wanna look into different ways to land your smashes. charging an up smash and waiting wont work all the time, although you seemed to make it work on every stock lol. here's a thread that discusses different ways to connect with G&W's smashes...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190917

you're a talented G&W, keep it up

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I use EasyCap; it produces good quality video. Buy composite cables + splitters and you're basically good to go. The EasyCap automatically comes with editing software for free on the CD and you'll be recording stuff in no time.
Where do you get this machinery and for how much?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Hedi vs Tama (king D3):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSvkrY0g8vs&

Hedi (me gnw) vs Waymas 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2OLd1GwNpE&feature=channel_page
Hedi vs Waymas 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9WKcXyCnL8&feature=channel
i used mk on the round 2 Xd.

hope u guys can tell me what to improve
alright,first of all,nice job on the matches
you're opponents seemed to get more aggressive as the battle went on lol and you clearly took advantage of that,nice

good match with DDD,great use of nairs and bairs,more uairs maybe?
hmm personally i wouldn't recommend coming down with a key from that distance high up against DDD when he's on the ground, you did do it once or twice.
Be a little close to him,so it's more unexpected

also when you're right in front of DDD,i'd try to get away as fast as possible, you did try and go for a A attack or a dtilt a few times,luckily it hit him, but most of the times,they will block it lol.

The wario matches
most of this is based on the BF match,you did well on the frigate one

although you did space well,you didn't really go for many approaches at first and wario was able to get a few free hits in. I say space nair well to approach ,it creates a wall for you and even if it doesn't hit wario,you can always chain with uair or up and B(uair is better) if they jump. This puts pressure on your opponent and forces them too approach. Again,same comment about the downairs but it really isn't that bad,just pointing it out. When you're high in damage,i'd recommend to avoid doing up and B on the stage to get away mostly because as you're getting down you're pretty vulnerable and warios uair can kill you at early percentages. The only option you have is dair and hoping that it hits lol. Also avoid landing on the platforms at high percentages as well.

Last comment about these matches, when you notice that wario hasn't used his fart yet , try not come down with a predictable dair or bair,i'm telling you this out my own experiences lol

but overall as TKO said,pretty solid G&W and the comments i made are just a few mistakes you made,but we all make them,nobody plays perfectly lol

:)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I'll get to it in about 10-15min,look back at this post

alright,done showering

k here's my opinion on this.
You need to improve your spacing,and your SH bairs

Overall you were too aggressive in this whole battle,which is why you lost:(
Especially when you were down a stock,you got way too aggressive,and started spamming fsmash hoping itd land,spamming fmash wouldn't be advised,it'll become predictable and if you miss,you will be punished for it,especially against toonlink.Usually Fmash is best used when you go for fake outs(like SH pretending to go for a bair but then land and fmash instead)

-Same advice on the ftilt,don't use it too much,maybe use it once or twice as a surprise,but dtilt is always better.

Now,about the dairs,seems to be on of your bad habits,that i bet most G&W players also went through this lol.
I notice that as soon as you get knocked into the air,you do a dair immediately ,which isn't bad 1/2 of the times,but against better players,you'll become predictable and it'll make it easier for them to counter you. Dair is usually one of the best options when sent to the air,but don't do it right away,especially against TL with his Uair that can kill. Just time it well in other words.

Few tips against TL, avoid approaching him from the front or back when he's in the air IMO,
his fair can kill and his bair will most likely hit. Same when sent into the air,i'd recommend that you time your dair well,because he might pull out his uair before you hit him.

Overall you need to space better,use more nairs in your game,best attack to rack up damage and it pretty much creates a wall for you in the air. work on your SH bairs and uairs wouldn't hurt. Also learn how to get your opponent to fall into your attacks like upsmash/fmash/dmash. If you simply go up to them and try to use it,they will most likely shield it or dodge as all his smashes have a slow start. This takes a while to learn how to do,so just simply keep playing,it'll come to ya.

:)

TKO

Smash Rookie
im nowhere near as wise as PentaSalia, but one thing you could work into your G&W game is escaping with up-b. escaping close encounters with the parachute is your fastest and safest option, and is much much better out of shield than G&W's roll which is terrible.

btw, we should play s'more G&W ditto matches on wifi :)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
im nowhere near as wise as PentaSalia, but one thing you could work into your G&W game is escaping with up-b. escaping close encounters with the parachute is your fastest and safest option, and is much much better out of shield than G&W's roll which is terrible.

btw, we should play s'more G&W ditto matches on wifi :)
lol far from wise,i still need a lot of improvement

anyway here's a vid of me from a few weeks ago,i just never got the chance to upload it xD
lawl i got caught by shuttle loop too many times lol

well comments appreciated

Penta vs MK

Noa.

Smash Master
Not too bad Penta.

One thing is that you airdodge too much. Airdodging leaves you vulnerable and it's much safer to use UpB to get out of sticky situations.

Consider using some more UpB in general. It's great for comboing.

You also rolled too much. You should never roll with G&W. I usually roll once per match or just don't roll at all. G&W's roll is absolute crap and shouldn't be used.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Thanks

lol and yea i need to stop that rolling habit,badly
it costs me a lot of matches

and i will consider up and Bing more,
i should,it is good;/
probably the only reason i don't do it outside of recovery is because i feel vulnerable after i use it lol

anyway thanks:)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Buffering an nair with it will more or less keep you from being vulnerable. UpB isn't too easy to punish.
lol tried out a few more up and B's today in some matches as you recommended xD
actually helped me out more than i thought it would:o

anyway thanks^_^
going to a tourney tomorrow
hope i do well

TKO

Smash Rookie
lol tried out a few more up and B's today in some matches as you recommended xD
actually helped me out more than i thought it would:o

anyway thanks^_^
going to a tourney tomorrow
hope i do well