• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everything you need to know about the N-word, by an N-word.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Link to original post: [drupal=5369]Everything you need to know about the N-word, by an N-word.[/drupal]

Part 1: Saying Vs Using

This is something I learned from my philosophy teacher about two years ago. There is a difference between saying a word and using a word. Saying a word does not necessarily mean you're using the idea or concept that that word transcribes. I can describe to you what the word "pretty" means. It's something that looks nice. I just said the word pretty, but I did not use the meaning behind it. Now if I said this pencil is pretty. I am USING the word. That is, I'm expressing the idea that the word is meant to portray. Word's are simply mediums, tools for us to communicate ideas and feelings. There are other mediums in which we communicate ideas and feelings as well such as facial expressions and gestures. You can tell by someone's facial expression if they are sad, happy, ,mad, etc. If someone looks at you in a disgusted way, that could be just as offensive as someone saying "ew" when you walk by. They both express the same idea through different mediums.

So then what does that have to do with the N word? Well look, all mediums can be used in different ways. It's context that is important. For example looking at someone with a disgusted look may hurt their feelings. Does that mean that making a disgusted look is a bad thing that should be banned from humanity? No. In a different context it is perfectly fine for me to make that look. Like if I just ate something horrible. Making the disgusted face is just a face. It's the context and the idea it implies that transcribes whether it's good or bad. Facial expressions are simply facial expressions. Words are simply words. The word pretty has a meaning, but that meaning is not used simply by me saying the word pretty, it must be applied through context such as "this pencil is pretty".

Now then similarly the word ****** is a word. It's meaning is very negative, just as having a disgusted look is negative. But just saying the word does not put use to it's meaning. Using the word is different than saying the word. Many people are offended when someone simply says the word as if it is some taboo that will unleash all hell, but it's not. Right now I am describing the word to you. There are those who will get offended by me saying the word even in this context. Even though I'm not using the word, simply saying the word.

There was a controversy a couple of years ago about Dr. Laura Schlessinger saying the N word multiple times on her radio show. People were outraged and the caller she was speaking with was so hurt by her saying the word. The things is all she did was, once again, Say the word. She wasn't USING it. She wasn't calling the caller a ****** or black people ******s she was simply making the point that black people say the word ****** so why is it not ok for white people to say it. Yes the meaning behind the word is very offensive and very negative, and that's why people take offense to it even when it's just simply said without being used. I'm sure there are those who have felt offense even to me just saying the word in this video. That is completely understandable. I believe, however, that once people become more aware of this, there will be less issues with the matter. We need to understand "that taking offense to anything without context is just reactionism".

To go a bit further into the idea of context and the difference between "saying" and "using" , one can still use a word while trying to pass it off as simply saying the word. Don't get me wrong on that. That's again why context is the key factor here and one of the most important factors in communication. I was once visiting in a rural mountain town with my family in which the black population was near non-existent. During our visit we saw one other black couple who were foreigners on vacation that hardly even spoke English. Everyone else in the town was white and you could tell they weren't very used to seeing black people around very often. This one guy comes up to me and my family and tells us hey you guys know where you gotta go. There's this mountain here it's called NIIIGERRR mountain. Alright you got that. Now listen I'm being genuine here you gotta go there it's called Niggeerr mountain. He framed it in a way as if he were just saying the word, naming the name of the mountain. But clearly in the context, he was in fact using the word even though he did not directly call us ******s. He was still using the word in attempt to offend us. As I stated earlier, words are just mediums to express ideas. Similarly phrases, tone of voice, and etcetera are also used as mediums to communicate ideas. Even though he did not say "you are ******s" the idea that he was communicating by his statements was the very same. It's not the word or medium that particularly matters, but the idea.

Part 2: We are individuals

Generalizing is one of homo sapiens greatest mind tools, yet one of our most limiting barriers as well. Many of us attempt to practice the idea of understanding our biases and generalizations, but they still happen to come through, likely more often than not. It is not as if every black person feels the same way about the N-word, nor it likely that every white person or every individual of any other ethnicity feels the same about the N-word. We are all individuals and each have our own thoughts, feelings, philosophies, and understandings.

While it is true that merely saying the N-word (with no intention of offending anyone) should not be taken as offensive and should not be taboo, it is still important to understand that not every person has come to this conclusion in their life. I have heard on multiple occasions that question "why do black people get offended from someone just saying the N-word?" It is not that black people get offended, it is that the individuals in which you experienced their getting offended, get offended. Each person has their own background, experiences in their perceptions and interpretations. A person who has lived through a generation in which African Americans had been very much oppressed and in which the N-word had been a common term of degradation, will much more likely take offense to the saying or using of the N-word today. Where as a person who was born, say, in the 90s is more likely not to take as much offense to it. I believe that people of the current generation are more perceptible to the understanding that it merely is a word. Again, each person is an individual, not a representation of every person with physical similarities.

The generations of extreme oppression, segregation, and discrimination of blacks within the United States really was not very long ago. My dad is only 48 and it was just 4 years after he was born that Mr. Luther King had been killed and 9 years before that the very first school in the US was desegregated. Rosa Parks had just died about 7 years ago in 2005. I have known people who knew her personally, including the principle of my elementary school. With that in mind, it's no surprise then why there are many people who do still take much offense to even just the saying of the N-word. And that's something we all need to understand. Dr. Laura Schlessinger wasn't in the wrong for the comments she made on her radio show; however, she should have recognized that the caller would have likely taken offense. She, the caller, had already shown that she was hypersensitive to racial matters. It was the very reason she had called in. To say "****** ****** ******" to someone who was already in concern over being racially insulted wasn't the best way to go about things.

Links:
Dr Laura video

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
If you're not black, or a member of an approved racial group, don't say it.

:phone:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Overall, the word shouldn't just be used NOR said around the young and sensitive. There are people who really take heart into that and show a negative affection upon it. My teacher, for example, has great grandmother who suffered around the 1940s to the 1960s, where whites and blacks do not get along. She has seen her own husband get hung by the whites with her own eyes and still remembers it ever since. The fact that my teacher learned what happened is where she started to be against the word for the rest of her life.

I agree with her and I take part of it. I don't mind people saying it, I just want them to consider before saying it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
When I'm not drunk, I will read this. This seems interesting.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If you're not black, or a member of an approved racial group, don't say it.

There are approved racial groups?

I just imagined an NAACP council sitting round a desk and stamping "****** Approved" on particular racial groups and it made me laugh.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Nah, approved racial groups are decided at the local Black People Meetings held the first Tuesday of every month.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So what are they?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Depends on what each local BPM decides. Where I live, Hispanic people can say the N-word, and some really cool white people. Falcon, you'd probably make the cut.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Where I live nobody really uses the word to be racist. It's usually just black followed by a rude word.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
All joking aside, words can mean different things to different people. Perhaps that's not the best way to run a language, but it happens (the discussion of the word "sexy" in one of my threads comes to mind).

The N word is a word with a lot of history, but what it means to people today is completely open to interpretation, like all words. Who gets to say it is dependent on all sorts of things: race, class, location, etc., and it's a privilege that can be conveyed to anyone, but it still has to be used in the proper context, unless you want every race-conscious person in earshot coming down on you.

So I was only half-joking about the "approved racial groups" thing. If you're a white boy and your black friends are cool with you dropping the N-bomb, go for it. That approval doesn't extend beyond that specific context though.

Edit- I wish it was still okay to say the word in general though. I would love to know who's calling me a ****** in their head but are too cowardly to actually say it.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
There are approved racial groups?

I just imagined an NAACP council sitting round a desk and stamping "****** Approved" on particular racial groups and it made me laugh.
New slogan

"Kid tested, ***** approved"

I feel like as a people we're still 2 or 3 generations away from ****** being banned by anyone to just being another offensive word. The younger generations are taking less offense to it than the older generation simply because the actual word has long since lost it's weight. Racial oppression is no longer a constitutional thing so actual racists now have to deal with the fact that they can be outright destroyed for being actual racists. Unless you hate gays of course cus that's icky.

I feel like i should have made this more concise so people wont argue semantics with this post. Oh well.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
It's 'media', not 'mediums'. 'Mediums' isn't a word, it's like saying 'cactuses' or 'criterions'.
You should also add in quotation marks to the part about ****** Mountain.

Grammar Nazism aside, this was a good read. In the last paragraph it kinda sounded like you were defending the caller's reactionism; was this intentional?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I don't know, something about simply labeling the caller "hypersensitive" bothers me. Blaming the victim makes me uncomfortable. The way her neighbors were talking made her uncomfortable (and really, it should have, I think that kind of tone and focus is inappropriate), and they should be aware and respectful of that. Admittedly, where to draw the line between when the offended needs to reevaluate their sensitivity, and when the offender needs to ease up, is hazy. However, I do think the situation she described was inappropriate. When the only conversation you can have with a person is centered around your skin color, that sounds awfully racist to me. It doesn't have to be strictly negative to be racist; it's still ostracizing her for being of a different race. With that said, I don't think it's always inappropriate to acknowledge that you are of a different race, nor ask questions pertaining to your race. So with that in mind, I don't know the details of her story and all I have to go off is the fact that she got offended.

I will say that I think Dr. Schlessinger was absolutely in the wrong. If not for the things she was saying, it was absolutely for the way she was saying it. She was unbelievably insensitive, dismissive, and honestly extremely condescending to the caller. It was as if she really just wanted to say "oh, shut up, all you ******s get offended way too easily because you're ignorant."

The line is fuzzy, but I don't think it's okay to just demand that everyone should be able to use the word freely.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Something is only offensive insofar as you find it offensive. Simply because a word has a history of successfully offending someone, does not mean it falls on each individual not to use it at the off chance it might offend someone. A lot of words have the potential to offend someone, where are we going to draw this arbitrary line? The "N-word" somehow meets that criteria objectively and is so powerful that people just can't help themselves and be offended. We need to use words more often, or be willing to use them, because if we label them as taboo, people will think of it as such, and refer to it as grounds to be offended when it is used.

They are words people. Shouldn't even be a debate.

Also, mediums is a word. Thought it was, checked, and it is.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
New slogan

"Kid tested, ***** approved"
I lied. Would sig if it could be uncensored.

I think the fact that white people are so bothered by the fact that they say it stems from the fact that we like taking everything ever from brown people, especially oil.

White people should just never use it casually around people they don't know unless they want to get stabbed, really only some comedians can get away with it, and even then it has to be part of a really well done joke, not flying off the handle at some heckler. I think this is a good example: (WARNING A WORD STARTING WITH THE LETTER N MAY BE SAID MORE THAN ONCE) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJkiwXcvaA

Morin0

Smash Lord
Wait, what? I read the entire OP thinking the word in the asterisks was ***** and not ****** (count how many asterisks there are and you should be able to distinguish it).

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Something is only offensive insofar as you find it offensive. Simply because a word has a history of successfully offending someone, does not mean it falls on each individual not to use it at the off chance it might offend someone. A lot of words have the potential to offend someone, where are we going to draw this arbitrary line? The "N-word" somehow meets that criteria objectively and is so powerful that people just can't help themselves and be offended. We need to use words more often, or be willing to use them, because if we label them as taboo, people will think of it as such, and refer to it as grounds to be offended when it is used.

They are words people. Shouldn't even be a debate.

My point is that the topic is very sensitive, and it wouldn't be realistic to attempt to find a universal place to draw that arbitrary line. Every person is different; every situation is different; where that line gets drawn may change. Where that line is drawn at one point may not be where it is drawn at another. All I'm saying is that as a human being, you should be considerate of other people's feelings, and as (hopefully) a kind person who cares about how other people feel, you should care about how what you do and say affects other people. You may disagree with whether or not someone should be offended by something, and you can tell them that, and even try to convince them to reconsider, but that doesn't mean it's okay to just go on offending them. I mean, if you really don't care about offending people, I guess that's your choice, but I would like to think that people would prefer to not hurt others.

Basically, because there's no good way to draw the line, you should probably just be considerate of other people's feelings, and maybe compromise your own views once and awhile.

Everyone should be able to say the word freely.
I agree, insofar as we're defining "say" as in the OP.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Well 'mediums' is a word if you're referring to medium as in high-medium-low or small-medium-large; ie, when the definition is middle state/intermediate/mean/etc etc.

If you use it the way the OP used it, the plural of that is 'media', not 'mediums'.
Like when people refer to 'the media', they are referring to things such as magazines, television shows, movies, commercials, etc because each of these individual things is a medium through which messages are conveyed to the public.

I agree, insofar as we're defining "say" as in the OP.
Yes that's exactly what I meant, that's why I used italics.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
My point is that the topic is very sensitive, and it wouldn't be realistic to attempt to find a universal place to draw that arbitrary line. Every person is different; every situation is different; where that line gets drawn may change. Where that line is drawn at one point may not be where it is drawn at another. All I'm saying is that as a human being, you should be considerate of other people's feelings, and as (hopefully) a kind person who cares about how other people feel, you should care about how what you do and say affects other people. You may disagree with whether or not someone should be offended by something, and you can tell them that, and even try to convince them to reconsider, but that doesn't mean it's okay to just go on offending them. I mean, if you really don't care about offending people, I guess that's your choice, but I would like to think that people would prefer to not hurt others.

Basically, because there's no good way to draw the line, you should probably just be considerate of other people's feelings, and maybe compromise your own views once and awhile.
If we are to be considerate of other people's feelings, if we are to take that to its logical conclusion and NOT draw an arbitrary line anywhere and not do anything that has the potential to hurt another, we are to not speak, nor are we to do anything (in fact, that may offend some people, so there is actually no way to do this). What you say is that people do not do things with the intention of offending someone, and that is all good and well, but that doesn't mean not use the word, or any other word. That means you don't speak or act out with the intentions of hurting others. If you are acting or speaking, and anyone nearby interprets it as offensive, that is their fault, not the fault of the actor/speaker. In fact, it is their fault even when the person has the intention of offending, because guess what, if you are trying to offend me, you know what I can do? Not be offended by it. It would not be cool of you to try, and you are right, we shouldn't, but we can make things not offensive by simply not being offended by them. If we somehow magically all stopped caring, if our culture made that transition, we can say things and not have people be offended. Even in such a culture, it wouldn't be right for people to try, but we can still not let anyone who does succeed in what they are trying to.

People need to refuse the lifestyle that is afraid of people reacting negatively to what they are doing, that is a chain in all of our lives that only brings displeasure. It is becoming a norm, and as such is becoming expected and accepted. Hopefully, like I think some people have said, that we may be moving away from that.

@infinite, my apologies then. ^^

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think Aaron McGruder's television series The Boondocks best illustrates this phenomenon of N-word usage with the character Gin Rummy. A white male character voiced by Samuel L. Jackson, his appearance, attitude, everything about him screams "I'm a black kid from the ghetto" but he's white! It's an ironic character - a white drawing with a black man's voice. There's of course some who will find humor in it... as if to say the character is meant to make fun of white kids who think they're black just because they buy hip-hop fashion and talk like Snoop Dogg (or is it Lion now? heh). And indeed in some communities in the US whites and blacks are seen as equally "thug." There's attractions like Eminem.

But make no mistake, saying the N-word can be just as ugly as saying the F-word, or the S-word, or any curse word. It's just bad manners. It doesn't have to be -meant-. It doesn't have to be said in any particular context. If you're in public, and you utter the word, you should be aware that you may offend people, plain and simple. It's not about those people being too sensitive and they need to put on their perspective-lenses. It just boils down to common decency. Why do you think it's so popular to use? Kids have always been trying to get a rile out of people... to stand out, to be noticed, to live their lives in opposition to the status quo. But eventually kids grow up, and the phase to use bad phrases is over. Usually... I'll grant that some kids never grow out of that phase, but the older you get, the more likely someone's gonna call you on it.

As for context, just imagine coming out of church one morning quoting a song lyric or line from a TV show to your friend and the N-word is in it. The context is harmless, you aren't calling anyone a N. And yet... you're still getting slapped on the back of the head by your embarrassed and disgusted mother.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
If we are to be considerate of other people's feelings, if we are to take that to its logical conclusion and NOT draw an arbitrary line anywhere and not do anything that has the potential to hurt another, we are to not speak, nor are we to do anything (in fact, that may offend some people, so there is actually no way to do this). What you say is that people do not do things with the intention of offending someone, and that is all good and well, but that doesn't mean not use the word, or any other word. That means you don't speak or act out with the intentions of hurting others. If you are acting or speaking, and anyone nearby interprets it as offensive, that is their fault, not the fault of the actor/speaker. In fact, it is their fault even when the person has the intention of offending, because guess what, if you are trying to offend me, you know what I can do? Not be offended by it. It would not be cool of you to try, and you are right, we shouldn't, but we can make things not offensive by simply not being offended by them. If we somehow magically all stopped caring, if our culture made that transition, we can say things and not have people be offended. Even in such a culture, it wouldn't be right for people to try, but we can still not let anyone who does succeed in what they are trying to.

People need to refuse the lifestyle that is afraid of people reacting negatively to what they are doing, that is a chain in all of our lives that only brings displeasure. It is becoming a norm, and as such is becoming expected and accepted. Hopefully, like I think some people have said, that we may be moving away from that.

@infinite, my apologies then. ^^
I never endorsed the idea of "never doing anything that has potential to hurt another." That's drawing a line, which I'm saying not to do. I'm saying have an open dialogue with people. I'm saying that if something you do offends someone, and you truly believe it shouldn't, by all means talk to them about it. But you also need to be open to the possibility that you need to adjust your behavior around certain people, and you need to be capable of compromise. Some people are more sensitive than others, and you may not be able to change that about them. What I'm saying is that instead of saying "well, **** you, I'm not gonna stop offending you," you should probably just, out of kindness, be willing to compromise a bit. With that said, please do pursue "helping" others learn when you believe to not be offended (I put help in quotes because often what you may view as helping, they may view as... you know, being a prick).

Offending people is often good. It opens up opportunity to learn and progress. But that can only happen if you're willing to be understanding of other perspectives, and you aren't hurting others for any other sadistic reason. I would never endorse the idea of a world where we never say anything that could possibly be provocative or offensive. I'm sorry if my post came off sounding that way.

Also, if I were to give an example of the sort of thing I'm talking about:
One of my roommates suffers from a host of anxiety and depression issues. She is a wonderful and happy person, but she can get in ruts and moods where she is very hypersensitive to teasing and the like. This will not change, no matter how much I tell her she shouldn't be offended. Now, I could be an inconsiderate **** and tell her to deal with it, and continue acting in the way I am and hurt her. That, or I can accept the fact that she is different than I am, and maybe I should be understanding of that and adjust how I behave around her, for the benefit of both of us. Ignoring the bias in my language, which do you think is the better option? Continue hurting her, or adjust my behavior?
You could argue that this is a different situation because she suffers from anxiety and depression, but really, that's not the big picture. People are different, people react differently and to varying intensities to certain language or behavior. That always needs to be considered.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I think Aaron McGruder's television series The Boondocks best illustrates this phenomenon of N-word usage with the character Gin Rummy. A white male character voiced by Samuel L. Jackson, his appearance, attitude, everything about him screams "I'm a black kid from the ghetto" but he's white! It's an ironic character - a white drawing with a black man's voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTzO-_Yl4d0

two white guys voiced by black guys talking about ******s

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I understand what you mean, my issue is to those who believe they have a sense of entitlement when they are offended, or anyone who thinks firmly that words or meaningless things are offensive. What I mean by the latter is that they do not think they created the offensiveness of something. While your roommate may have issues with being offended, as long as she realizes that it is self-caused, even if she still has issues controlling it, I can provide empathy for her, because I understand. I like to think I am pretty chill, but that doesn't mean I always am, in fact even on these boards I've reacted in unchill ways to things. So what I mean is that I don't think your roommate necessarily contradicts what I'm talking about, hopefully I have am making sense here and have gotten my point across.

If however your roommate was not like that and basically says, "These things are offensive and it isn't my responsibility," I'd try to "help", but if it wouldn't work, I'd honestly respond probably by just avoiding that person for the sake of avoiding that kind of negative energy. If not, I'll continue to try and help but at the same time be careful, because I'm only going to be careful and "feed" it if I can respect where she is coming from, and if it contributes to the potential that she can be better at handling these issues. In other words you don't help any psychological problems by sparking those problems as if they are nothing, and wait for them to see reason, and instead try to cooperate with them. So you could say that while I still think a person has no right to be chained like this, it is beneficial in individual circumstances to not poke and prod the people you are trying to convince aloofly because they don't yet think as you do. Those who do not see themselves as having a problem, and see the problem with everyone else and/or words, then I will indeed ignore them because I will only acquiesce if they can get my respect, of which they are not instantly entitled. Again, to get this respect and consideration, they need to express that their negative experiences lie in themselves and they try to not think of words, jokes, etc. as bad, and that by being a little more careful you may help them progress to a state where they can better handle these situations. Helping anyone else only confirms that things are taboo and makes no changes, potentially convincing them of their position even more.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I understand what you mean, my issue is to those who believe they have a sense of entitlement when they are offended, or anyone who thinks firmly that words or meaningless things are offensive. What I mean by the latter is that they do not think they created the offensiveness of something. While your roommate may have issues with being offended, as long as she realizes that it is self-caused, even if she still has issues controlling it, I can provide empathy for her, because I understand. I like to think I am pretty chill, but that doesn't mean I always am, in fact even on these boards I've reacted in unchill ways to things. So what I mean is that I don't think your roommate necessarily contradicts what I'm talking about, hopefully I have am making sense here and have gotten my point across.

If however your roommate was not like that and basically says, "These things are offensive and it isn't my responsibility," I'd try to "help", but if it wouldn't work, I'd honestly respond probably by just avoiding that person for the sake of avoiding that kind of negative energy. If not, I'll continue to try and help but at the same time be careful, because I'm only going to be careful and "feed" it if I can respect where she is coming from, and if it contributes to the potential that she can be better at handling these issues. In other words you don't help any psychological problems by sparking those problems as if they are nothing, and wait for them to see reason, and instead try to cooperate with them. So you could say that while I still think a person has no right to be chained like this, it is beneficial in individual circumstances to not poke and prod the people you are trying to convince aloofly because they don't yet think as you do. Those who do not see themselves as having a problem, and see the problem with everyone else and/or words, then I will indeed ignore them because I will only acquiesce if they can get my respect, of which they are not instantly entitled. Again, to get this respect and consideration, they need to express that their negative experiences lie in themselves and they try to not think of words, jokes, etc. as bad, and that by being a little more careful you may help them progress to a state where they can better handle these situations. Helping anyone else only confirms that things are taboo and makes no changes, potentially convincing them of their position even more.
All fair enough; I think we're just about on the same page. I suppose the only thing I'm interested in is to what extent you believe worlds are meaningless, or can/should never be offensive. I'm tempted to argue that words are powerful, and this is because words are not merely phonetics, but they are representative. Indeed, there are physiological, neurological reactions to saying and hearing certain words. Obviously this isn't due to the arbitrary, meaningless phonetics of the word, but rather what that word represents (which can be subjective, and varies in intensity). It would be perfectly reasonably to offended by a death threat, right? Would it not be reasonable to be offended by, say, a **** joke, if you had been ***** in the past? Perhaps with those experiences, hearing that word in certain contexts would catalyze very real emotions and very physical reactions. Again, to be clear, I'm not trying to say "never say ****, it may offend someone," I'm simply saying it is something to consider and possibly respect, until the person can get better (so to speak).

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Stop being so gay, swear words have underlying meanings and a specific emphatic effect that cannot be replicated by other words. It isn't a sign of lack of intelligence to use them, it's a sign of lack of intelligence and articulation if you rely on them for no specific reason.

Like Chris Rock or something, really he uses swear words like conjunctions even for someone like me who loves to swear I find that grating.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Somehow I don't think Portal is a good way to back-up the allegation that swear words are used by stupid people. GLaDOS uses a ton of wry and sarcastic humor because that's her character and she hates you. Wheatley uses stupid insults because he's a character that is meant to be the essence of being a moron. They're characters and their personalities don't reflect well onto real life.

Also agree with Teran there completely. There are times when saying certain words are appropriate, just like every other word. If for example I'm seriously pissed off at someone I'm going to use the most cutting words I can, not say, "I dislike what you just did there."

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Somehow I don't think Sol is capable of actually posting anything worth reading.

Also I'm going to picture the **** out of DDD wearing Majora's Mask. Your sig sucks.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh but deep down, we all knew that we missed Sol and his abysmal looking posts.

..Right?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Stop being so gay, swear words have underlying meanings and a specific emphatic effect that cannot be replicated by other words. It isn't a sign of lack of intelligence to use them, it's a sign of lack of intelligence and articulation if you rely on them for no specific reason.

Like Chris Rock or something, really he uses swear words like conjunctions even for someone like me who loves to swear I find that grating.
Surely you mean Kat Williams, not Chris Rock? I mean, Chris Rock swears, but I never found it to be so much that it was grating. Kat Williams uses curse words and the N word so much that if you watch him on TV, you don't even know wtf he's talking about because 3/4 of his dialogue is being bleeped. I mean, I'm not saying that watching comedy on TV with censors is ideal, but I should be able to understand your joke. Get a better vocabulary, Kat Williams.

Top Bottom