• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO South Results!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Chu doesn't use it correctly. That simple.
I think thats a glaring understatement of azen's skill as a player.

While I would certainly take what the people at SRK say with a grain of salt (since in the end, they dont know smash, as we dont know street fighter), I think what they have to say is at least worth considering, since competitive gaming has been around for them alot longer than for us who started and stayed with smash.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I never said anything about Azen. My point has nothing to do with Azen. The point is: Chu doesn't wobble long enough to kill. Wobbles himself has even commented about this in some YouTube vids.

tsetse

Smash Lord
Plain and simple its not a new techniuqe, it was banned before it should still be banned. It is an oversight on EVO's part thats all. But it was only there first smash tourney. So it was not banned for the first one, now lets just make sure it is banned for the next one. This big fuss should of been made before the tourney. Reason it is a big deal now is because wobbles placed first. Without wobbling he would not have beat cave plain and simple. Cave has too many counter pick against ic's. Its a banned tech, its not like it has been allowed before.

It was banned before right?

xif:We can consider what thay have to say about tournament play but not about the metagame in smash.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Um, that's actually not true. It's never been banned except in some small tourneys here in TX. That's why this whole debate exists. If it had been banned before, no one would be complaining about it, they would simply aknowledge that EVO had made a mistake.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
What i'm saying is that to explain away chu's lack of dominance with wobbling solely upon him is a little ridiculous. He tried to use it against players that were able to get around it. If he were to get better at it they would only become better at avoiding it. You see, this is what you need to remember about top players. They are so good because of their ability to adapt to any style, and to overcome any tactic used against them.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
I know Smash AND Street Fighter. And I know several top players in both commuities.

The two games are can easily be compared to each other. Sure, they're not exactly the same, but they relate far more than most people let on.

That doesn't mean you have to agree with their opinion, but you shouldn't dismiss them just because they're not known as Smashers.

Holy crap I'm agreeing with XIF. This is very new.

D

Deleted member

I just read the SRK thread... and you guys got spanked lol

GJ guys... the SSBM community just got a worse reputation...
link me pls

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
I don't care what I sound like.

And it's good to see at least some people who didn't take my posts literally (ie the real concept behind DO NOT GET GRABBED) actually understood what I was saying , regadless of how crass and bothersome I came off (some of you in this thread deserved it really).

Ah well.

Keep wreckin fools Wobble.

DestradoImpulse

Smash Rookie
Although I do not play Smash at all, I have been in the Capcom fighting game community long enough to at least part some advice for you guys.

Within the sixteen to seventeen some odd years since SF2, the only hard banned character we have is ST Akuma. Now truth be told I do not play ST (Super Street Fighter II Turbo) competitively, but read up enough on Akuma to know that ST would basically come down to only playing him because he has the best matchups in the game thanks to his moves being out of the game's scope and mechanics. By that I mean he has a few tools that are accessible only to him and it gives him a tremendous to say the least. To sum it up quickly, he has an air fireball that spans the whole screen, and extremely long blockstun on most of his moves. Nobody else in ST has anything remotely close to these two tools and because almost all the matchups are mostly 10-0 or 9-1.

Now ask yourself this: Is iceclimbing that powerful of a tactic that there is no point in using other characters because that tactic or character is far too strong and comes down to him/her/it?

There is much more to banning a character than you believe, so think long and hard about it.

D1

Banned via Administration
I hope Wobblez just keeps on wreckin mad fools no matter what they say and just make his money regardless of the boos he gets.

DO YOUR THANG BROTHA!!!

Rep AZ hard! Fugg the haters!

tsetse

Smash Lord
if wobbling is perfected then your only real way out of it is not to get grabbed. or eliminate nana as soon as possible. Or make sure that they are desynched or not close to each other when popo grabs you. But yes if they grab you under the right circumstances and they can wobble at will, then you lose a stock.

I just read through the SRK thread on this topic. Sorry to say but SRKers the (non smash players) really have no clue about this game. They say things like younger crowd, less experienced, and so forth. Look smash and other 2d fighters are to way different creatures. They have a few similarities, but the differences are way more numerous. This is a smash issue and I think we should respect what the top level Smash players say about this instead of trying to see what some SRK lurkers would do about it.

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
Leaving wobbling in would actually make you guys PLAY BETTER.

I don't see how that's a bad thing really.

(This was also mentioned by someone else previously in this thread).

:p

Drephen

Smash Master
man master chibi is a ******, first he goes here and starts ****, then goes back to shoryuken and brags on how cool he thinks he is

good job lowering the reputation of shoryuken and its people there

Team Giza

Smash Lord
wtf is wrong with you people? Seriously. Master Chibi is a jerk I admit. But he brings up better points then most of you have in this topic. You all need to comb yo beard and except that wobbling is here to stay, doesnt ruin smash and it doesnt make it unfun. It adds a new level of fighting against ice climbers, new techs and new mind games for it. It raises the level you need to step up to, if you dont want to step up to the challenge then just lose to Wobbles. Dont try to ruin his play style simply because it beats how you play. ****, you peeps gotta learn.

Oh btw, LONG LIVE THE KING!

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
The fact that has been pretty much ignored in this thread is exactly how one would ban the infinite.

Making it so that IC's aren't allowed to even hit during a throw? Or limiting a grab to a certain amount of hits? 3, 4, 5, 20%, 30% of damage? It would be difficult to determine a cut-off point. If someone accidently gets 2% over the limit, they lose the round? That would be an insane rule to uphold.

The only feasible way to ban the infinite is to ban the Ice-Climbers themselves. And I would venture to guess that that would cause much more of an uproar than the technique itself.

And before I forget, "The King" is a Sage.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
oh yeah and thanks for slowing ruining this community wobbles, you truley deserve to be praised for being at such a high level of play only months after evo took us in and, your really helping the community in a big way by showing your ***, thx

i wonder how long they will keep us after seeing how much money they lose because people wont show up just to be wobbled by every other player.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
COMB YO BEARD JUNTAH! Its not that hard to get around the wobbles. You got to up yo game. This isnt Wobbles fault, he just uses a tactic in the game. It would be like ZOMG Chillen shine spiked me!!! WHY CHILLEN?! WHY DO YOU RUIN THIS GAME!?!!?!!?!?! ****. Its not that big a deal, step your game up fools.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
trust me ill own wobbles with GW, its not a big deal to me cept the fact that hes making smash worse by doing that crap, and ive been playing a long time and seen alot of stuff, HE IS NOT HELPIG THE COMMUNITY BY DOING 0 to DEATHS. the only thing he is gonan do is get IC's banned, so he better enjoy his devilish tactic while it lasts. by the way isnt thee tons of other IC infinates? so why does he insisit on useing that one? oh because its takes the least skill to do out of ANY IC infinate, and is actually more effective if you dont suck, like he does.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
If he choses to play simply then he can. It doesnt hurt the community at all. But when I see him play, well all I can say, is he got the skills to pay the shrills.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Needle, I said it in the last thread about the infinite and I'll say it again. You have a problem with me? Bring it. Money match, you can name the amount smart guy. I'll be going to Evo East.

And if I'm such a scrub and can't win without the infinite, then I guess you'll have no problem accepting these suggested terms:

20 bucks.
Every stock, I SD with Nana. In fact, this should nicely benefit you more because I don't even get invinicibility.
So you can beat my IC's without de-syncs and without infinites.

Bring it ****tard.

tharimrattler

Smash Rookie
I'm not going to go into details, but no this should not be banned. To ban it would be bad for smash as a whole. For the evolution of the game, and the evolution of the players. Everyone would suffer in the long run.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
The truth is that you just have to wait it out and see if Wobbling really is so bad. I'm pretty sure it's not going to be banned, but if it DOES turn out to be game-breaking, who cares? It'll be banned. Either way, Wobbles is right that this disruption can only be better for the community. Everything that is allowed should be exploited to it's fullest. If something turns out to break the game, then it can be banned. Everything that's not banned is fair game as tools for you to use to win. Right now it's not banned, and it's good that Wobbles is forcing people to step up and adapt. That's evolving the meta-game. And if it does end up getting banned, then it's good that it will be banned sooner than later, as it was inevitable. Good man, Wobbles. Whatever happens will be productive for the community.

Basically look at competing in Smash (or any game where you compete to win) this way: Everything in Smash is a tool you can use to win. Characters, tactics, stage-picks, etc. Everyone is presented with the exact same set of tools. The object is to win, so you will have to choose whichever tools you think will help you the most, and use them as effectively as you can. Everyone at the tournament had picked out their own tools and practiced using them to whatever extent that they did. Wobbles ended up on top. gg, no johns. I guess most people already agree with this so this paragraph was kind of useless. But it was a good analogy, eh?

Edit: Except for Juntah I guess.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
wobbles lol i dont think you know who ur talking to but ok fine, i agree to those terms. 20 bucks sounds like a fair proposition. dont back down like a loud mouth coward when u see me either

Drephen

Smash Master
nope needleofjuntah = joel from MI

i would like to see the match though. And wobbles i would go with two climbers, joel is pretty **** good

cHaNg-sTa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, and comparing it to the freeze glitch is a little ignorant. Freeze glitched are banned because once completely, the player doesnt need to offer any further input for it to be effective and the opponent cannot do anything, and its just a stall. The infinite requires player input.
Ignorant? How so? The amount of effort should have no bearing on it's ban status. Just because something is slightly more difficult to do doesn't mean you can allow it. Plus it requires the player's input to be able to grab with Nana and then f.B with Nana doing the correct throw. Heck, the frequency you can pull off a Wobble is much higher than a Freeze Glitch because you can't guarantee Nana will throw the correct way. The opponent can't do anything about the Wobble either once it's started, so it's technically a stall as well if you look at it that way. Both tactics can also just deal damage then kill. It doesn't have to be used as a stall.

I'm just really interested in if people support Wobbling, then why be against Freeze Glitch? There IS no real difference in the end, not to mention that Freeze Glitch is harder to perform correctly than is Wobbling.

On another note, for all those who say that Wobbling will only make us better is not an argument that helps your cause. We already aim to not get grabbed by IC's (or any character really) cuz they already can deal sick damage from grabs. Trust me, before Wobbling, I always try to avoid grabs as much as possible. But let's be serious here, to try to avoid a grab for a whole 4 stocks (about 5 minute match) not to mention try to dodge IC's as a character(who are still good) in general is asking for almost the impossible.

Sure lots of fighting games don't ban tactics, but Smash is a pretty different fighting game. Something like this can easily knock off one, two, or even more stocks a match. That's almost saying if 3S Chun's crouching M.kick deal about 25% damage per hit. That's just pretty ridiculous. Now it's not IMPOSSIBLE to beat, but if that were the case, why ever play anyone else, or should we use the argument, "don't get hit by courching MKick"? And you can't tell me 3S tournaments would be just as fun.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
this thread makes me sad, people going on over and over how wobbling is "gay" and "lame." people saying how you should just "not get grabbed," which is, of course, a terribly dumb thing to say, for obvious reasons. people are attacking rob for his reasons and overall use of wobbling, which is unfair to him. he is a great guy and a really talented player (i hope you win your MM). i dont really know what to say, as i know that i cant personally stop all this crazy posting in this thread. i guess i just want people to realize that they are beginning to repeat themselves a lot with really dumb arguments that dont help anyone or anything and are also attacking rob in very unfair ways. i know not everyone is attacking him, as PC is trying to clear up, but still, too many are.........im just saying, this thread seems to be getting out of hand (i cant believe this topic has even leaked over to shoryuken....yikes). so that said, i just hope this doesnt turn into some gigantic war versus wobbles, he is a really cool guy, annnnnnnnnnnd yeah. i guess thats it.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
About the whole "don't get grabbed" thing: A lot of people misunderstand what is meant by that. It's exactly how Isai says "don't get hit." Lots of people keep this in mind when they play and it helps them. "But how can this help ANYONE?" you might ask. "Even Isai gets hit from time to time, so even he doesn't follow his legendary advice!" The suggestion of not getting hit/grabbed isn't supposed to be taken literally, as people have already said in this thread. It doesn't mean that if you try to to not get hit, you fail if you ever do. It only means get hit less. If you're constantly thinking about possibilities of getting hit/grabbed while you play, then with practice you can reduce how often you get hit or grabbed.

Also keep in mind that the IC's have to be synced while they grab in order for them to pull off the infinite, so it's not like every singe grab = wobble time. ADAPT. Try to find ways to help you not get grabbed so much and win. You can start by seeing what your opponent is doing most of the time to land his grabs, for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom