• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVOLUTION 2007= SSBM singles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Teams? <.<;

I can definately understand why you're not running singles and teams, what with all the stuff that'll be going on (and it would make all ther other game players PO'd that smash is the only game with two tournies), but i think singles would be a much better idea than teams. With just teams, you're pretty much guaranteed a lower amount of people coming.

While there are many teams who are really good and want to get better/compete with other teams, most teams in smash are just impromptu. Not many people have one teamate that they stick with, and thats important in smash, since you really have to be synced with your partner to do good. Most people go to smash tournies to better just themselves singly, and see how they individually measure up against other individuals. While teams is quite respectable, singles has more hype and easier access for the relatively newer players.

I'm definately not saying that I won't come - I'm one that actually has a set team partner (although i still prefer singles) - but I know a handful of people from my area that don't really have anyone to team with on their level that they can play with regularly, and i doubt they'll be happy that they have to run around searching for a teammate now. Assuming they even want to try for a team.

And thats enough ranting from me.

MrWizard

EVO Founder
OK ive changed the rules to reflect just general rules at this time. Obviously when Evo staff thought of doing teams, we didnt consider that teams was more of a laid back tournament then a serious one.

Please continue to post and we will have a definate answer on what format in the coming days. Thanks for your input.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Singles is definately taken far more seriously than teams in the competitive smash community.

I have yet to see any professional or major smash tournament have its teams attendance exceed its singles attendance.

I am 100% sure that it will be a major mistake to make it a teams only event and exclude singles.

I, and MANY players in southern california, suggest to have the tournament be a singles event.

And I truly appreciate that the higher ups at EVO are open to our suggestions. That is way too awesome.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Aside from the teams vs singles thing there was one other thing in that ruleset that stuck out to me.

Game Settings: 2 on 2 Teams, VS Melee, 2/3 Games, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer
6 min is right on the edge of too short imo, 8 minutes is probably a better timeframe. Every tournament I've been to (obviously less than some of the people here have been to, so by all means if I'm wrong someone correct me) has had the standard be around 2 minutes per stock. 8 min 4 stock has been the format at the vast majority of tournaments I've been to.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
wow, response time on this forum is amazingly quick. i honestly dont care whether its teams or singles. i love both so either way i am happy, but by the looks of things, it looks like SINGLES would be the better option to take.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I think 6 minutes would be a welcome change, if you ask me. I do not think 8 minute matches make for exciting tourney play.

Edit - I think an agenda we as a community should have is this - we're here to show that smash can be deep and still be enjoyable (to play, and to watch).

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I don't like (aside from doubles only already mentioned about 40 times), is the "no stage may be used twice in a single match" rule.

That should be changed to "a player may not choose a stage he has already won on in a set."

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Teams is very serious business. I'd be all for teams, but it's understandable that the majority would go for singles.

Drephen

Smash Master
no teams = no fun
Lots of players go for just teams

singles is a must too.

why cant we have both? Its really not that hard, and its been done at every tourney evar

except the VGAMES! *cues dramatic music*

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
This sounds great, I appreciate this being added to the line up.

Hopefully we'll have some big turn outs and old veterans as well as new school talent showing up in order to show people that SSBM is a game to be taken on a serious scale that can also be enjoyed by all because of it's simple game play as well.

This is a huge opportunity, so lets not blow this.

Count me in to showing up for atleast one of these.

Cort

Apple Head
I also like the 6 minute timeframe. Honestly most matches never go passed 4-5 minutes and any that do, a player is trying to make the clock run out...

Also I agree with Blackstar, your stage picking rule should be changed to the modified, better one that says "A player may not choose a stage that they have already won a game on in the current set"

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If one should be chosen over the other, singles should take precendence. No one ever became 'famous' in the eyes of Smashers based solely on their teams play. The only person who is remotely close is Isai and he was once viewed as 2nd or 3rd best in the country in singles.

Hugs pointed out that teams play recieves less turnout than singles. This is very true. Teams will usually have 10-20 less entrants in total (5 to 10 less teams) than will the singles tournament. Most of the time teams is held before singles as a sort of "warm up" for the singles event. This isn't to say teams is a joke, no way, but many teams can simply be made by throwing two really good singles players together and breaking the "teams" battle into two seperate 1v1s. Have some teams transcended this level of play? Yes, but they are few and far between.

This aside, teams may/would seem to chaotic to the casual on looker and I would hate to have the Evo crowd judge Smash from what they percieve to be chaos (although, in teams, things sometimes do leave the realm of strategy and meld with that of chaos). For its first go aroud I think if Smash is played only in singles with pretty much only the neutral 6 stages than the rest of the fighting game community may better understand the game because it will become easier to see some of the more simple strategies (edge guarding, feinting, tech chasing, etc.)

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
I'd say make the main tourney singles. We could always hold a 2v2 tourney in the BYOC room after all

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Singles is a must. It's the main event at any Smash tournament. I won't really bother explaining why though, since everyone else did already.

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
Singles is waaaay better than teams.
At least Evo isn't doing an all item FFA single elim tourney.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
This aside, teams may/would seem to chaotic to the casual on looker and I would hate to have the Evo crowd judge Smash from what they percieve to be chaos (although, in teams, things sometimes do leave the realm of strategy and meld with that of chaos). For its first go aroud I think if Smash is played only in singles with pretty much only the neutral 6 stages than the rest of the fighting game community may better understand the game because it will become easier to see some of the more simple strategies (edge guarding, feinting, tech chasing, etc.)
I agree and I think this is kind of important. I know Isai said he likes Poke Floats so everyone has to automatically agree with him because he's amazing. But come on. Watch any video of a match on Poke Floats. Anyways I'm not that good yet and haven't done well in any tournaments, so I don't expect or want to have any influence in deciding this kind of thing, I just want the more important people in the Smash community to think about it and discuss it.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I happen to enjoy Teams more than Singles, and I feel like I perform better in Teams as well, but the majority of players put Singles as their first priority. I don't think it's unreasonable to do both teams and singles tho. If you had to make a compromise, what about crews?

I do disagree that Teams is "laid back" tho. It's taken seriously by many people, it's just that Singles is taken a bit more seriously. Something like a Low Tier tourney would be what I consider laid back, and I main a low tier character. :p

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
It seems like that the Evo rules page just deleted the "2v2 teams" part of it and left everything intact, including the stage selection.

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
Did they put up stage rules for a second or something? Smooth Criminal said something about FoD being banned too but I don't see anything about stage restrictions.
Yeah, they were up.. since it was a team tourney, FoD was banned. They are now under more careful consideration. I'm not sure they fully realized how big/vocal the SSBM community is. Obviously, they're going to want to give you the best tourney possible within the possibilities of EVO. That i'm 100% sure of.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
@ alpha

mlg had counterpicks. people going to evo probably have gone to an mlg before. it's not that big of a leap.

also, we need to just transfer mlg rules over. those were fine.

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
AZ's posts are simply scrumptious.

AZ's posts are to awesome.

AZ's posts turn me on with his thoroughness, his well thought out responses, and his ways of explaining things so that a simpleton can understand.

AZ rocks my Smashboards World.

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
What I want to know is if registration is done on the friday before or the morning of Day 1? And can it be done online?

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

* Game version: US Playstation 2
* Game Settings: Versus Mode, Turbo 3, 2/3 Rounds, 2/3 Games
* Players will have the option to repick the stage if T Hawk or Zangief stage comes up. They must decide this before the round starts.
* Akuma is banned.

What the heck is wrong with those stages? I've never heard of a stage being banned in a Steet Fighter game.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
actually, PC Chris said that he wanted to go to every Evo tourny there was, but i suppose its possible that that wont happen. of course im not PC Chris, so only he knows for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom