• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

.Marik

is a social misfit
I didn't so so well, but it WAS my first Melee tournament, and the entire place was infested with Fox/Falco/Marth/Shiek players.

Got 6th seed out of 9th, had fun.

UpTilt is really good for edgeguarding, haha.

I can't begin to count the times I used Missiles to knock people out of oblivion as they tried to recover.

I agree, aggressive style sucks with Samus. Unless you're playing characters lower than her on the Tier List.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
does jack have hair on his chest?

also dyna

unless you're saying dyna also has hair on her chest

**** son
samus shows no mercy to you
she is a wild beast
you don't tame her
you learn to deal with her
an unbroken wild ride
all you need is an assload of confidence

Geist

Smash Master
Same here. You really have to be on top of your opponent 100% of the time if you want to play dominant and offensive.
No innuendo intended

So I just realized something today, I have no jiggs matchup experience.
Discuss.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
It makes Bamesy sad... :(

Got some fun vs Falcon stuff today a tiiiiny bit.
It's so back and forth. You can get ***** by a combo SOOOO hard then turn it around SOOOO fast.

With proper spacing etc you can pressure while still being safe. Basically forcing them to be defensive just because of your precense there.

And stuff... legs and what not... >_>

Pi

Smash Hero
my bud plays a jiggs,
he stopped letting utilt work
he pretty much just pokes at me the whole game
it's pretty much come down to how i described it before
shoot missiles, kick her off you, charge up your ball when she's in hitstun/not a threat
and shoot her with your ball when she does predictable stuff
it's the gayest matchup i've ever played, and my buddy is the gayest jiggs i've ever played

there are still openings for utilt, ub, ftilt, and all that, but what i was trying to say is he's given less and less as time goes by, he doesn't approach fully, only with spaced bairs, and if i'm on the ground wtf do i do against that, trade with a ftilt? MAYBE?

gay..

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
no comprendo
It's simple, even my posts say it, not hard to lose track on it, if you don't get it, I'll clear it for you.
Being aggressive -never- required extensive training -for me-, I am natively aggressive in every game I play, that doesn't mean I'm dumb, means that my quality is to think on movement.

Being aggressive is hard for -other players- I know, they required extensive training, they even went into Training Mode in order to completely understand the mechanics of being aggro and flashy, and they still struggle with being truly good on that matter.

Let's improve that lecture, por favor. ¿What do you kniht?

samus v. jiggs is only winnable through some massive mindgames

Samus simply can't brute force through the wall of pain, nor can she sit back and shoot at it. Not to mention everything you do can be baired/rested oos

melt87

Smash Cadet
I agree, aggressive style sucks with Samus. Unless you're playing characters lower than her on the Tier List.
Inb4 Dyna XD

yeah hugs is the best so far. as far as the jigs match up its not impossible.

here are some of my old matches against the current best jigs in norcal, im not perfect so no"you do this or that too much"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QWWPHqHNBw
The difficulty increases proportionately with increasing of bAirs by Puff. If Puff is a bAir spammer is a pain in the a$$. Samus has not a great priority

Pi

Smash Hero
It's simple, even my posts say it, not hard to lose track on it, if you don't get it, I'll clear it for you.
Being aggressive -never- required extensive training -for me-, I am natively aggressive in every game I play, that doesn't mean I'm dumb, means that my quality is to think on movement.

Being aggressive is hard for -other players- I know, they required extensive training, they even went into Training Mode in order to completely understand the mechanics of being aggro and flashy, and they still struggle with being truly good on that matter.

Let's improve that lecture, por favor. ¿What do you kniht?
i think every time you post makes me want to ditto you more and more :)

whens the next time you'll be in FL?

HugS™

Smash Lord
I believe each character is like a martial art.

Where all martial arts have their strengths and weaknesses, but for the most part, they can all be applied to different situations with varying degrees of success and all can come out successful.

Now, when you choose a character, or a martial art, it is on the player to choose how to apply it. However, there are characters who are made to be used in a certain way. Deviance from the norm is fine in my eyes, but it requires a complete revamping of the character itself.

I feel that Samus is a character that is meant to be applied defensively whilst applying passive pressure. If you choose to be aggressive instead, then I feel this aggression needs to be applied in unique enough ways to cover up the holes that this style opens up for Samus. Like, you can't just choose to be super aggressive, and forget about what happens when you miss a double jump Uair when your opponent saw it coming. You can't just neglect the fact that Samus is floaty, and she won't make it down quick enough to not get punished. I.E.,You need to cover up that hole if you plan on double jump Uairing falco everytime out of aggression.

Samus was originally viewed as a decently offensive character because of Wes. I chose to play defensively, and I completely deviated from the normal ways of playing Samus. In other words, I didn't just become a "defensive Wes". I became "defensive HugS" and created an entirely new method of playing her.

For example, Samus, while considered good at camping, was not thought to have any kind of advantage within her shield. A lack of a shield grab made her seem bad at true defense on paper. So I took what she had in her up B, a move used primarily for recovery, and used it to cover up this hole in her defensive game by upBing out of shield. I took the "samus martial art" and applied it to be used defensively. I didn't try to be like Sheik and roll away from pillars, didn't try to be Fox and shine out of shield. I took what Samus had, and messed with her abilities to create and apply a style that works.

Aggressive players SHOULD be doing this, but they aren't, for the most part.

TL;DR
What I'm saying is, many of you choose to be aggressive. But you choose to be aggressive in the way that other characters are aggressive. Samus is her own martial art. If you want to be aggressive with her, it has to be in a way that is unique to Samus AND efficient. I have yet to see someone do this successfully, though IHSB is getting semi-close.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I play samus pretty aggresively, but I know when to stop and be defensive.
Basically the nail on the head for playing Samus successfully.

I was going off personal preferences, but both playstyles can be applied.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
very insightful hugs. CC'ing jabs is the first thing i thought of when you say "passive aggressive" . You mention aggressive style to a fox/falco player and they'll think of aerials/shines/etc. But in our case it's different yet still very efficient - I get it.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
I believe each character is like a martial art.

Where all martial arts have their strengths and weaknesses, but for the most part, they can all be applied to different situations with varying degrees of success and all can come out successful.

Now, when you choose a character, or a martial art, it is on the player to choose how to apply it. However, there are characters who are made to be used in a certain way. Deviance from the norm is fine in my eyes, but it requires a complete revamping of the character itself.

I feel that Samus is a character that is meant to be applied defensively whilst applying passive pressure. If you choose to be aggressive instead, then I feel this aggression needs to be applied in unique enough ways to cover up the holes that this style opens up for Samus. Like, you can't just choose to be super aggressive, and forget about what happens when you miss a double jump Uair when your opponent saw it coming. You can't just neglect the fact that Samus is floaty, and she won't make it down quick enough to not get punished. I.E.,You need to cover up that hole if you plan on double jump Uairing falco everytime out of aggression.

Samus was originally viewed as a decently offensive character because of Wes. I chose to play defensively, and I completely deviated from the normal ways of playing Samus. In other words, I didn't just become a "defensive Wes". I became "defensive HugS" and created an entirely new method of playing her.

For example, Samus, while considered good at camping, was not thought to have any kind of advantage within her shield. A lack of a shield grab made her seem bad at true defense on paper. So I took what she had in her up B, a move used primarily for recovery, and used it to cover up this hole in her defensive game by upBing out of shield. I took the "samus martial art" and applied it to be used defensively. I didn't try to be like Sheik and roll away from pillars, didn't try to be Fox and shine out of shield. I took what Samus had, and messed with her abilities to create and apply a style that works.

Aggressive players SHOULD be doing this, but they aren't, for the most part.

TL;DR
What I'm saying is, many of you choose to be aggressive. But you choose to be aggressive in the way that other characters are aggressive. Samus is her own martial art. If you want to be aggressive with her, it has to be in a way that is unique to Samus AND efficient. I have yet to see someone do this successfully, though IHSB is getting semi-close.
And for that, I salute you, caballero.

Geist

Smash Master
Epic post is epic.
Totally saving that.

on a less epic note, imo bombs help kills Jiggs bair spam, or at least the one I played. I usually just wd back a tiny bit out of reach of WoP and attempted to hit it with Charge beam. Such a bull**** matchup so gay ARGH

Pi

Smash Hero
Epic post is epic.
Totally saving that.

on a less epic note, imo bombs help kills Jiggs bair spam, or at least the one I played. I usually just wd back a tiny bit out of reach of WoP and attempted to hit it with Charge beam. Such a bull**** matchup so gay ARGH
yea bombs are good vs jiggs lol

AIDS

Smash Lord
is it possible to cover all options after an upthrow dair? or at least all tech roll directions on say FD
Up throw and dair should not connect.

I assume you must mean tech chase. Ofcourse you can fallow the opponent and I would say you can cover two places by charging a dowmsmash having the front to the middle(where the opponent is) and the back in one direction. But I don't see it possable to cover all 3. Best option is to guess or wait and try to fallow.

Keep in mind characters have differant roll lengths. Luigi is broken!

Alukard

Smash Hero
Up throw and dair should not connect.

I assume you must mean tech chase. Ofcourse you can fallow the opponent and I would say you can cover two places by charging a dowmsmash having the front to the middle(where the opponent is) and the back in one direction. But I don't see it possable to cover all 3. Best option is to guess or wait and try to fallow.

Keep in mind characters have differant roll lengths. Luigi is broken!
really ? up throw dair doesn't connect on spacies i do it all the time ... funny

DARKMIKE

Smash Apprentice
it does combo, you just have to have a precise timing. if they tech, you really cant follow up, if they dont you can get a sex kick, if you land the sex kick at low percent you can grab right after. its not impossible to follow up, its really situational and...positional lol. is that a werd?
u-throw to d-air ***** especially to platforms.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
@ AIDS: I like just about every stage, and it depends on who we're facing. But I like the sound of that jungle. :p
@ DARKMIKE: I think Up throw Dair is the best way to combo a spacie, even without platforms. You can tech chase with another Dair, which can lead to other moves. That's what I do anyways...

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
upthrow -> dair = opponent techs in place and knees/upsmashes/insert devastating move

it's really cool
and sometimes really useful
but that's the same thing for a lot of things
if you like it, then do it

DARKMIKE

Smash Apprentice
ive been experimenting with some weird combo possibilities. at low percent Ive been doing u-throw to reverse b-air to sex kick or reverse b-air to f-air to sex kick. i managed to do it consistantly, can some samus' try this and let me know what they think.

Top Bottom