• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
<33 lol

ayo spacenutz ... which samus did u watch when u started trying to get better ?

dyna same question for u too cutie
Wes/Oro/HugS were the three big names when I started, but of those three I liked watching Oro the most. Then Pure Nastyness introduced bomb tricks to my repertoire, and Femme Fatale made me focus more on playing with style. I also loved the hell out of Aftermath's Samus.

Pi

Smash Hero
phanna's tricky **** inspired me to learn that

i don't remember where i picked up playstyles

also

that lethal ganon

his approaches didn't seem all that calculated

vs. ganon i like doing short hop or full hop, they're both too high, and bair behind his shield, then do another bair to catch if he jumps which they often do when you're behind them, and bair is quick enough to not allow for easy punishment.

most of my match is trying to get ganon to either shield predictable, or jump out of his shield predictable, either with missiles, or jumping over him with aerials.

you can't shield vs ganon, and you can't spot dodge vs ganon, it's pretty dumb

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
phanna's tricky **** inspired me to learn that

i don't remember where i picked up playstyles

also

that lethal ganon

his approaches didn't seem all that calculated

vs. ganon i like doing short hop or full hop, they're both too high, and bair behind his shield, then do another bair to catch if he jumps which they often do when you're behind them, and bair is quick enough to not allow for easy punishment.

most of my match is trying to get ganon to either shield predictable, or jump out of his shield predictable, either with missiles, or jumping over him with aerials.

you can't shield vs ganon, and you can't spot dodge vs ganon, it's pretty dumb
That is if Ganondorf let you get on his back.
It's hard to fight a Ganondorf that destroys your missiles, forcing you to approach, and you know you won't beat his U-Air, there are many ways, but that is by a given circumstance, and this guy eats Samus as breakfast, launch and dinner.

Well, those Lethal Dorf videos are one thing, playing against him is another thing completely, like, seriously.

WokeR

Smash Apprentice
That is if Ganondorf let you get on his back.
It's hard to fight a Ganondorf that destroys your missiles, forcing you to approach, and you know you won't beat his U-Air, there are many ways, but that is by a given circumstance, and this guy eats Samus as breakfast, launch and dinner.

Well, those Lethal Dorf videos are one thing, playing against him is another thing completely, like, seriously.
That's true... u.u

1233 is really aggressive, your missiles do nothing against him.

Btw, is good to see you around here dyna ^^

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
That's true... u.u

1233 is really aggressive, your missiles do nothing against him.

Btw, is good to see you around here dyna ^^
Oh hi there WokeR.

Yes, missiles can become a joke against 1233 unless you are doing it as edge guarding, even so, it's a 50/50, sometimes I get discouraged about missiles, he knows how the work and how they must be used.

WokeR is a living example about it D:

Well, let's drop the 1233 subject.

Pi

Smash Hero
eh

generally speaking if you're being punished for missiling/attacking in any given situation then you shouldn't do it so i mean there are going to be effective ways to missiles and ineffective ways to missiles, some just may not be exploited by the masses or the uneducated, but once they get exploited you just stop doing them

granted a lot of people don't know the samus matchup, playing rockcrock, who has extended samus exp, as well as chaddd who is just a good player in general, and getting my **** rolled, i really hate to fight against ganon.

atm i hate the ganon/cfalc/peach matchup the most.

sheik would probably be in there as well but i don't often fight sheiks who change up their strategy, ie; good sheiks.

xbombr

Smash Ace
Falcon is terrible if you're playing someone around your level or better than you. Samus wrecks lower level Falcons if you know what you're doing, but you shouldn't be losing to lower level players anyway. Falcon literally needs a grab or a hit to get you above him and then there's very little you can do since he's got enough speed that you can't get out of his range at all with your aerial mobility and stuff. Samus isn't combo'd from the ground nearly as well by Falcon as I once thought since DI away and NAir can get you out of most of his crap or at least make it to where he has to counter your Nair to continue his combo. But like I've said, anything to put you above him will end up bad. Mid% stomp, UThrow to a platform, upper mid% Dthrow, properly positioned Uair, predicting a jump, bad di on a Nair can all lead to a lost stock.

Ganon is slightly worse to fight than Falcon. There is literally nothing you can do to him that beats his range. You get under him by accident attempting to get in his range you take 22% from a DAir and then at least 15% from whatever he follows up with. Everything he does destroys missiles. His KO potential makes Samus's recovery mean nothing, especially on a small stage like YS. I'm still trying to work out a good strategy for this as Samus, because my strategy right now is to change to Sheik if they're any good.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
eh

generally speaking if you're being punished for missiling/attacking in any given situation then you shouldn't do it so i mean there are going to be effective ways to missiles and ineffective ways to missiles, some just may not be exploited by the masses or the uneducated, but once they get exploited you just stop doing them

granted a lot of people don't know the samus matchup, playing rockcrock, who has extended samus exp, as well as chaddd who is just a good player in general, and getting my **** rolled, i really hate to fight against ganon.

atm i hate the ganon/cfalc/peach matchup the most.

sheik would probably be in there as well but i don't often fight sheiks who change up their strategy, ie; good sheiks.
In all means, I don't really care if my opponents destroy my missiles, I don't really use them to actually land a hit, but as a decoy, to limit their movement.

What do I do against a marth shielding right in front of me?

like, he gets up close to me and shields, waiting for me to do something. If I don't do anything or attack his shield I get grabbed. I can't keep wavedashing back otherwise I run out of room.

what can I do?

Pi

Smash Hero
you gotta throw some grabs out there tbh

my friend went through a phase like that

or you can try wes jabbing

i still do it and it still works, just not all the time lol

just run up and jab, spot dodge, jab, spot dodge

if you feel you've timed it right you can dsmash or dtilt his whiffed grab

or just run up and stand in front of him, don't shield or anything, just see how he responds

Geist

Smash Master
The only time Falcon should get too overwhelming is when they a) are at a much higer level than you b) they have extensive experience with your playstyle. Focus on not being in the air, and discourage grabs with jabs ftilts, spot dodges, etc. If you do get in the air, DIing properly should make you waaaaay harder to be followed up.

As for Ganon, he's a bad matchup, as everyone knows, but (for the most part) he's far from impossible. I don't know specifics of what to do and what not to do, when I play I just usually try not to get hit, and keep Ganon as far away as possible. He's pretty comboable in midair actually. Watch for DJs and falling dairs.

In all means, I don't really care if my opponents destroy my missiles, I don't really use them to actually land a hit, but as a decoy, to limit their movement.
Quoted for truth

What do I do against a marth shielding right in front of me?

like, he gets up close to me and shields, waiting for me to do something. If I don't do anything or attack his shield I get grabbed. I can't keep wavedashing back otherwise I run out of room.

what can I do?
-grab
-jab cancel his shields
-wd/run behind and Fsmash
-wd/run behind and pivot grab
-walk behind him and slowly progress to the other end of the stage
or pull some slick stuff, like waveland across a platform that's above you and bair when you drop behind him.

Or you can go for the fool's mate, and jump behind him and nair the back of his shield as he falls. He'll probably grab in front of him, missing you, so then you can Fsmash him or whatever. This doesn't work at high level play obv.

Actually Think said something pretty good. Just stand right in front of him. I bet you any money he has a little subconscious timer that will go off and grab you at the same moment every time. So predict, spotdodge, and punish.

.Marik

is a social misfit
First Melee tournament tommorow, going pure Samus.

Wish me luck, any general tips people can throw out really fast?

Thanks in advance.

<3 Blowtoes by the way.

melt87

Smash Cadet
Aggressive style sucks. I'm really frustrated, i tried it today against a puff and the result was a disaster. I have not played aggressively on purpose, but i felt that way, stop.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i don't think aggressive v puff is a good idea unless you're getting off
or they suck
imo

maybe if you were really fast somehow i guess

Alukard

Smash Hero
alot of the time ... i just try too look aggressive especially against marth and ganondoof...

also puff is horrible to play aggro vs LOLOL ... just likee life ruiner said lol ... u need a nickname ruiner >_>

xbombr

Smash Ace
The only time Falcon should get too overwhelming is when they a) are at a much higer level than you b) they have extensive experience with your playstyle. Focus on not being in the air, and discourage grabs with jabs ftilts, spot dodges, etc. If you do get in the air, DIing properly should make you waaaaay harder to be followed up.

As for Ganon, he's a bad matchup, as everyone knows, but (for the most part) he's far from impossible. I don't know specifics of what to do and what not to do, when I play I just usually try not to get hit, and keep Ganon as far away as possible. He's pretty comboable in midair actually. Watch for DJs and falling dairs.
XD I'm probably a one of the most grounded Samus players ever. I don't feel comfortable in the air with Samus at all unless I've predicted their movements with some certainty and/or I'm comboing. Other characters that I use, like Sheik, are a different story. It's not that I don't like being in the air in general, just I don't like to do it much as Samus at least as far as approaches go.

I use my tilts and I'm trying to work more jabs in lately. I don't think that Falcon is overwhelming so much as annoying. I just have trouble with Falcons who are better than me in general, which makes sense. I still feel that it's one of my Samus's (or maybe just Samus in general) harder match ups.

I also realize that Ganon isn't impossible, but you have to work your *** off for it since he's got such a large advantage in both strength and range. On small stages your manueverability doesn't mean **** since he can control them so well. YS, for instance, is a nightmare. Once you gain the upperhand on him, you have free reign to do whatever you want to him since he's so easy to combo and edgegaurd, the problem is getting to that point.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
Aggressive style sucks. I'm really frustrated, i tried it today against a puff and the result was a disaster. I have not played aggressively on purpose, but i felt that way, stop.
Maybe you are not ready to be aggressive, that requires practice, a lot of practice.
Good luck next time.

melt87

Smash Cadet
Thank you all for advices

Maybe you are not ready to be aggressive, that requires practice, a lot of practice.
Good luck next time.
Or maybe i'm not suited to be aggressive. The problem is that when i feel technical i'm driven to play aggressive and carelessly :(

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
Thank you all for advices

Or maybe i'm not suited to be aggressive. The problem is that when i feel technical i'm driven to play aggressive and carelessly :(
One feature of this game, is that you can be aggressive -and- tricky, you must think fast, so, don't be careless while being flashy and technical, use that as an excuse to be way more tricky.

Pi

Smash Hero
if you wanna be aggressive and flashy you have to be 100% comfortable with doing it, which takes lots of practice, idk how many hours i've put into practicing wavelanding and tricky stuff before i really felt comfortable implementing it into matches with the right spacing timing and all that.

it's like re-learning your character because it's a different movement style

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
if you wanna be aggressive and flashy you have to be 100% comfortable with doing it, which takes lots of practice, idk how many hours i've put into practicing wavelanding and tricky stuff before i really felt comfortable implementing it into matches with the right spacing timing and all that.

it's like re-learning your character because it's a different movement style
Well, contrary to your statement, I didn't require lots of practice, I feel like fish in the water, with Melee and Samus.

xbombr

Smash Ace
Well, contrary to your statement, I didn't require lots of practice, I feel like fish in the water, with Melee and Samus.
Everyone falls into certain styles more easily than other styles. It takes less practice to get used to that style because that's how they think the game should be played and how they're most comfortable playing it. It's not necessarily because it's the best strategy overall, but it's the best for them.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
Everyone falls into certain styles more easily than other styles. It takes less practice to get used to that style because that's how they think the game should be played and how they're most comfortable playing it. It's not necessarily because it's the best strategy overall, but it's the best for them.
A lot of wisdom in your words, I do agree.

Top Bottom