• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Why is SHFFM so hard!? I want it to be easier so I can do it lots. I've been trying it on like 2/3 speed in training mode and get like... 20%. I can't do it on normal speed at all. I managed to do it ONCE, then never again. Tried for like an hour a day for like.. 3-4 days. Nuttin'.

Someone should give me tips :D

I'll return the favor with cookie?
I can only SHFFM missles facing left lol, because my thumb is stubborn haha. The motion (for me anyway) is a really quick flick from bottom to the right/left positions on the control stick. And by quick flick i mean: I keep my thumb straight and sort of glide the control stick from one position to the other. Hitting B at the end is less important imo, it's getting that motion down on the control stick. You're going to be doing a lot of bombs. Maybe try running and then jumping, as you'll get just slightly more time in air to get that missile off as you land.

Geist

Smash Master
There's all sorts of tricks and gimmics lol
I used to use a motion very similar to moonwaking, only I'd rotate the stick from about 90 degrees to about 200 degrees, to make sure I didn't bomb by accident.
After a while I changed to something more efficient when I realized you don't have to press down all the way to fastfall. Now I just barely tap down and then missile like I normally would.

Violence

Smash Lord
SHFFM is weird... if I try to do it, I inevitably fail. Sometimes I just do it without thinking about it though. I think it's because my finger movements are more subtle when I'm not thinking.

Blowtoes get@this region already. I gotta work this whole weekend, but next week, you should definitely get@me.

Geist

Smash Master
Leaving tomorrow morning hur hur
PM me your address and I'll see if I can make it to your place sometime during the week.

SHFFMC takes precision. Kind of like learning how to control Pika's recovery well, but less variables.
So imo the only 'good' way to get it down is to force yourself to use it during a match. Lone practice helps, but when you're being rushed down things change.

Edit:
Why don't we have a cool social thread title like everyone else? :[

DarrellD

Smash Ace
Why is SHFFM so hard!? I want it to be easier so I can do it lots. I've been trying it on like 2/3 speed in training mode and get like... 20%. I can't do it on normal speed at all. I managed to do it ONCE, then never again. Tried for like an hour a day for like.. 3-4 days. Nuttin'.

Someone should give me tips :D

I'll return the favor with cookie?
Play fox

Ill take my cookie now =]

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
It's interesting because during a match I pull off a lot of technical stuff like SWD without thinking but the moment I try to show someone in training mode or start to think about using a certain technique I fail.

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
you should play both defensively and aggressively. it's a matter of figuring out when to apply both. watch armada apex videos.. he's so good at using his shield and knowing exactly when to attack out of it.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
I'm likin this thread title. Wifive!

and to darrellllll what I meant by "can't play samus any other way" is that you SHOULDN'T play samus any other way.

Pi

Smash Hero
plup i'll get those vids of my tourney up soon...
i get addicted to little games easy so that's what i've been doing

plup is actually pretty aggro, compared to what samus can do, and his combo's are legit.

Violence

Smash Lord
Just a general question, out of curiosity, who besides HugS, HugQ, and Darrell are Samus players who are ranked in their region?

And Darrell, when should you use dtilt, and when should you use dsmash? I feel like the distinction is important for Samus players.

Geist

Smash Master
Imo dsmash at times when you need to cover both sides of you because of whatever reason. As long as you know where they're going, dtilt is better.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
plup i'll get those vids of my tourney up soon...
i get addicted to little games easy so that's what i've been doing

plup is actually pretty aggro, compared to what samus can do, and his combo's are legit.
ty dawg I wanna show my brother my set vs colin.

And btw blowtoes, falcon can punish with a knee if you down smash or even down tilt on his shield. They both have big lagz. I prefer down smash since its knock back is gigantic range is gigantic and if they CC it they get punished. down tilt seems like a worse version of all that, except a lil less lag and a FEW early precent combo chances (unless vs fox and falco)

DarrellD

Smash Ace
how beat falcon
This match up is about reacting and remembering what falcon does. Im still not the best at this match up but its become one of my better ones over the past few months. One very important thing to remember is to shield EVERYTHING. IMO falcon is the easiest character to avoid getting hit by, but the hardest to get off you once he actually gets started with a combo. Watch where falcon lands after every aerial. When he lands in front do an UPB or he lands behind you react accordingly. When you see something thats missed spaced, you have to **** him up for it.
Keep on the floor and dont stop moving, this will make it harder for falcon to shffle and space correctly. Baiting out a random aerial and dash dancing it for a punish is the best way to beat falcon on stage. Spaced dtilts are really good because falcon has a tough time punishing them(eat it SS and Scar), But falcon CAN knee you if you miss space it. I believe every samus is aware of how important it is to edge guard falcon, just remember theres a time to uptilt and a time to just grab the edge.

how beat falco?
Learn to powershield and read approaches. I personally think samus wins this match up as long as these two strategies are kept in mind. You always want to stay a wavedash to spaced ftilt away from falco. This will discourage him from shooting a laser, especially if your powershielding lasers. Know when to grab falco, like watch when he shields. I usually do something specific to bait a shield.(i.e. powershield to grab after punishing earlier with a tilt) When you have falco in his shield, watch for the moment his shield isnt covering a body part. HIT IT FOR A SHIELD STAB. Use upairs or fairs when falco is on a platform, but DO NOT challenge them when your off stage. A trade will definitely not work in your favor.

Just a general question, out of curiosity, who besides HugS, HugQ, and Darrell are Samus players who are ranked in their region?

And Darrell, when should you use dtilt, and when should you use dsmash? I feel like the distinction is important for Samus players.
It depends on the stage, character, percent, and really the player.

Stage - If im in the middle of FD and a fox upsmashes my shield, ill probably wavedash out and dtilt just becuase of where it sends them. Fox will go closer to the ledge and probably tech away out of fear or getting dsmashed or worse.
If theres a platform above me and their percent is really low, ill dtilt just to try and follow up on the platform with something. Thats when i get creative ;)

Character - Dtilt for fastfallers and dsmash for floaties. If their percent is at kill range, i dsmash. But if its lower, ill dtilt for to follow up with an extra move

Percent - Low percent and bad/good di gets a either one.
Mid percent and good or bad DI gets a Dtilt, not much you can get off a dsmash
High percent and good Di gets a dsmash. Bad DI just sends you straight up

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Im 7th in Washington, but that was back in july. We're updating the pr this saturday so i gotta step it up cuz i havent been playing a whole lot cheaaa

edit: also good advice darrell

Pi

Smash Hero
Fl aint got ranking
But Plup is top 5
1)Hbox
2)Colbol, Linguini, Shiz, Plup
3)Skrach, Rockcrock, UberIce, Uuaa, Darksonic, Nicaboy, Harriettheguy come to mind
I'm probably in 3 or below it

Geist

Smash Master
I thought rockcrock would be higher ._.
Im going to try really hard to get into bc rankings, then see if I can rank in wc canada too.

Pi

Smash Hero
FL is pretty stacked
there's probably a handful more people in or around 3

and for the crusher, plup beat him a couple tournaments ago
don't think he's beaten colbol, shiz, or linguini in tournament

Violence

Smash Lord
I thought rockcrock would be higher ._.
Im going to try really hard to get into bc rankings, then see if I can rank in wc canada too.
Getting ranked is my goal here too.

I think both of us are capable of beating the gatekeepers around here, we just need to step it up and be on point.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
You've gotta plan for the long haul to get ranked in your region.
Step 1: Go back in time to before your conception.
Step 2: Convince your future parents to move to a region you know to be terrible at smash bros.
Step 2.5 (optional): Bring Hugo back with you and get him to be your real dad. Your mom's ***** will be ruined for life, but good spacing is genetic.
Step 3: Skip forward x years and suddenly find yourself ranked in smash.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
FL is pretty stacked
there's probably a handful more people in or around 3

and for the crusher, plup beat him a couple tournaments ago
don't think he's beaten colbol, shiz, or linguini in tournament
I beat linguini last NLL but yeh I dunno about the other three. col bol some how edgeguards me =/
fox shouldnt edgeguard spamus

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You've gotta plan for the long haul to get ranked in your region.
Step 1: Go back in time to before your conception.
Step 2: Convince your future parents to move to a region you know to be terrible at smash bros.
Step 2.5 (optional): Bring Hugo back with you and get him to be your real dad. Your mom's ***** will be ruined for life, but good spacing is genetic.
Step 3: Skip forward x years and suddenly find yourself ranked in smash.
But if you change your dad to hugs, then are you still you?

Geist

Smash Master
Amazing advice ihsb, simply amazing.
I beat linguini last NLL but yeh I dunno about the other three. col bol some how edgeguards me =/
fox shouldnt edgeguard spamus
fox can do anything he **** well pleases. Thats like smash 101 right there.

Top Bottom