• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

DarrellD

Smash Ace
If anyone is wondering how good mango's samus is, watch hugs. Thats it. Theres almost no difference except mango jumps a more lol

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
avoiding hits > CC

Pluplue

Smash Ace
If anyone is wondering how good mango's samus is, watch hugs. Thats it. Theres almost no difference except mango jumps a more lol

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
avoiding hits > CC
CCing > getting combod

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord

avoiding hits > CC
hahaha

hugo where you AT

DarrellD

Smash Ace
I think my original question of HOW to cc was unanswered. Im a n00b here guys, just look at my post count =P

Pi

Smash Hero
na it's all about the shffld dairs now
it combos don't ya know

CCing doesn't work if they know it's coming
they can't just delay the hit then shield
course you can CC grab
but if they decide to CC shield grab then they can do that first lol

Geist

Smash Master
Dsmash isn't that great lol
Lots of people I play still seem to think its like her best move or something, like if they're explaining how to play the matchup to someone they'll say 'watch out for dsmash at all times, he'll totally spam it'.
Dtilt is way better

Also mango plays in the simplest way ever lol. He never throws out moves he doesnt need and he barely moves lol
Hes more like hugs 3 years ago. With more jumping.

Brookman

Smash Hero
in your opinion, how is down tilt better??

also, how much damage does it do compared do down smash?? cause I know down air down smash does ~32 percent.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Down tilt comes out exactly as fast as dsmash, but has less lag after the fact (so you're less likely to get punished out of shield if you mistime it). Not sure on the exact damage numbers, but they're reasonably close, while dtilt is more likely to lead into additional hits.

Edit: Just checked, dsmash does 16% and dtilt does 14%.

Brookman

Smash Hero
dear mr. space balls,

I haven't played samus since 2006 but you have recently inspired me to play her again. Thank you for your crazy wave land up tilts.

yours truly,
the Brookman

Geist

Smash Master
Welcome back good sir

And yeah what spaceballs said.
Including the fact that iirc dtilt is more disjointed? And range differences are minimal.

Alukard

Smash Hero
my favorite samus move is grapple beam ... whether its to grab an opponent or to come back to the stage ... definitely super fun to use ^_^

also downtilt to down tilt to down tilt on fast fallers is hilarious and works alot because samus wavedash is awesome

also twice in a row they never expect it LMAO

Violence

Smash Lord
What I like better, Alucard, is Dtilt-Dsmash, or Dtilt to Dtilt to Dsmash, because you already catch them trying to DI out of it, so the Dsmash can potentially send them at a stupid angle.

Also, GRAPPLE BEAM *****!

I just love the sound it makes. GZZZOWWWOOoooOOOoooOOOooooooooooOOOOZZZZZK!

Brookman

Smash Hero
ya, alukard, i see you land soooo many grabs. Hey, didn't you and I dominate in some friendly teams vs. jman/m2k @ vernon like a year ago

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Forward Tilt is my favorite move since it's so versatile, it can go 3 directions and is relatively safe. It's the one thing I feel confident in using when approaching, everything else feels like a gamble.

If this was 3-4 years ago it would be Down Smash, which now everyone and their moms knows how to counter.

Geist

Smash Master
I <3 utilt and uair, such tricky novelty moves, they fit my style so nicely. :3

Utilt has that fantastic wide clearance and is much less punishable than it looks if you use it properly.
And uair is so nice and quick, it makes me feel all bubbly. Using it in completely random moments works so much better than it should. <33333

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
my favorite spacing techniques are ftilts, wavedash back utilt, jump back FF missile and jumping back with rising missile and missile cancelling another. as for predicting grabs, i usually throw a jab if they're in front or up-b if they're behind.

Pi

Smash Hero
so i started taking some martial arts classes w/ my buddy
he does a bunch of diff styles and i didn't bother to keep track of what style the throws/escapes/defenses i were learning were because it was hard enough to remember how to perform them

but like...
martial arts are like melee
sept...harder...with more depth...and in real life

but even so
just like in melee there are counters to counters to counters
positioning is very important, follow through, commitments, reading your opponent, conditioning your opponent, using gimmicky tricks that can be countered but because they can be countered people don't think you'll use them

etc. etc. etc.

it's pretty overwhelming just like melee lol

so i started taking some martial arts classes w/ my buddy
he does a bunch of diff styles and i didn't bother to keep track of what style the throws/escapes/defenses i were learning were because it was hard enough to remember how to perform them

but like...
martial arts are like melee
sept...harder...with more depth...and in real life

but even so
just like in melee there are counters to counters to counters
positioning is very important, follow through, commitments, reading your opponent, conditioning your opponent, using gimmicky tricks that can be countered but because they can be countered people don't think you'll use them

etc. etc. etc.

it's pretty overwhelming just like melee lol
I do taekwondo at a pretty high level (been to national comps)

the main difference between martial art sparring and melee is commitment. every attack you throw out is a huge commitment and can get you *****. spacing is extremely important and as the bigger opponent, you have to be like Marth and zone out your opponent with feints and then try to bait your opponent into throwing something out. If not, you have to be like Fox and get in at the first opening, ****, then get the **** out of there. This is true in taekwondo at least.

Like I said, everything is a commitment and every attack is punishable. You can't ****ing nairshine or spaced tipper fair in real life, sadly. There's no jab shield pressure because you can do anything out of block (no shieldstun unless you are a dumb****). And like Roy, the very tips of your attacks are weaker.

Reading is a lot less important in real life as well. This applies to taekwondo especially because unless you are ****ing Bruce Lee or something, the endlag on kicks, feints included, is too much to really catch someone off guard. Punches are very different and a much smaller commitment. However they're very easy to dodge and being punched means you messed up your spacing anyways.

Yeah I could go on and on because I always like comparing real life sparring to fighting games. It's much easier with traditional 2d fighters, because... well that should be obvious. But the basic concepts are the same at least lol.

tl;dr taekwondo only has 2 matchups: Fox vs. Marth and Marth vs. Marth.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i wish i had 4 arms so i could block and then **** the **** out of someone with punches, like samus's up-b

also i wish i could combine that with scorpion from MK so i could have grapple and make people "GET OVER HERE"

this reminds me of emerican's combo video's intro

Geist

Smash Master
Jason I never got the chance to see your sig that b@ your ability to have a sig.
I'm curious lol

Also, Violence, just practice against CPUs
It doesn't take practice within itself, just a good sense of control.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
How the hell can you consistently bomb off of someone like that?

It's really hard for me.

How did you practice?
Go to brinstar and use the breakable walls to do it. Then move on to big characters(ie. bowser and DK). Then go to like fox/falco/ness/puff, smaller characters.

Its not to hard once you get the hang of it :)

Violence

Smash Lord
I can do it n the breakables, but even big characters are so hard... I guess I'll keep trying.

(freeze glitch is actually pretty useful to practice this)

Pita

Smash Apprentice
Why is SHFFM so hard!? I want it to be easier so I can do it lots. I've been trying it on like 2/3 speed in training mode and get like... 20%. I can't do it on normal speed at all. I managed to do it ONCE, then never again. Tried for like an hour a day for like.. 3-4 days. Nuttin'.

Someone should give me tips :D

I'll return the favor with cookie?

Top Bottom