• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I found out that jab canceling is a lot easier if you do it by holding the toggle stick like this.

or the opposite direction depending on where you face. just hold back and down (the opposite way you're facing). It seems to make jab canceling easier.

I'm sure you guys knew about this already.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
No plup that comes out to "YGAS" which is vastly different from "IHSP". It's ok though, you're like 12 right maybe you just haven't learned to acronym yet.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Shout out to duck for telling me to edgeguard marth with Utilt. I finally got it.
Do tell!

I played a pretty good Marth this weekend, and while I think I understand the matchup pretty well, I usually have to resort to punishing Marth when he tries to get up from the edge instead of hitting him during recovery.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Do tell!

I played a pretty good Marth this weekend, and while I think I understand the matchup pretty well, I usually have to resort to punishing Marth when he tries to get up from the edge instead of hitting him during recovery.
yea exactly, sometimes trading hits offstage might not go in your favor.

Oroxis

Smash Rookie
idk man, I'd prefer to time an u-tilt on marths up-b recovery to the ledge cause then he's usually dead. Seems riskier to try to dominate him when he has the edge.

yea exactly, sometimes trading hits offstage might not go in your favor.
I agree.
Battling marth in the air doesn't appear to be the best of ideas. Ground yourself.

Rat

Smash Lord
Do tell!

Yeah I used to feel the same way. Basically to do it you need adjust your spacing to marth's spacing. Go farther out when he does farther out. In when he goes in.

Make sure you have the timing of his upB and your utilt down. Try to time utilt so the heel comes down on the last possible sweet spot attempt. It should cover all of his timing options. (watch for overB stalls. Don't be antsy.)

And use fully charged shot when he recovers high. I like to aim for when he double jumps.

In general, I think the match-up is 50/50. It might be 60/40 marth, but samus can **** marth's day up. (Used to think it was like 70/30)

Marth does more damage per hit, but he has to take huge risks to edgeguard samus. Samus does less damage but edgeguards the hell out of marth.

To hit marth, you have two moves: DashA and Grab.
You can use other moves but they generally suck.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
idk man, I'd prefer to time an u-tilt on marths up-b recovery to the ledge cause then he's usually dead. Seems riskier to try to dominate him when he has the edge.
Maybe you didn't notice what I was quoting, but I was asking how to edgeguard Marth so I can do that instead of just trying to punish him on the ledge lol

@Rat, thanks, I guess I'll have to practice my utilt timing. I definitely think some people overestimate how bad the matchup is, though I still think Marth has a slight advantage.

By the way, the dash attack/grab advice is actually legit advice. Both moves work sooo well on Marth.

Rat

Smash Lord
one more thing on utilting marth's upB.

Screw words and advice. Just get a feel for it. It's much much easier to hit if you have that confidence or like emotional trigger. Whatever feeling it is.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
I can never edge guard marth with an uptilt. I just get hit :(

Down angled forward smash to the fuxking dome

:phone:

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
By the way, the dash attack/grab advice is actually legit advice. Both moves work sooo well on Marth.
what kind of marths have you been playing? like i'm actually trying to help here by telling you these things don't work. i have a friend that plays samus and he comes here and sees all the stuff you tell him to do, but they don't work. i mean if you're playing marths and your dashattack and grabs are working effectively, they are crap. PERIOD

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
It depends on skill levels sinister. I agree with rat that dash attack and grab are very effective tools against marth, but thats at a higher level where both players are spacing correctly and have good knowledge of when they are at an advantage and when they arent. At lower levels... other things work.

you can get better for a long time by simply learning when you are at an advantage and when you arent and not attacking just because you feel pressured to. Oh yeah, and not challenging people's stuff every time.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Hey sami, quick question. Do you guys double jump quickly in order to waveland off a platform(when you're directly below it) or do you guys just do a full powered single jump? Which is faster? It seems like there isn't much of a difference, but I can't really tell. =[

Geist

Smash Master
I'd recommend not using you dj unless you know you can get away with it. There's not too much of a speed difference between the two, but djing is a tad faster.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
what kind of marths have you been playing? like i'm actually trying to help here by telling you these things don't work. i have a friend that plays samus and he comes here and sees all the stuff you tell him to do, but they don't work. i mean if you're playing marths and your dashattack and grabs are working effectively, they are crap. PERIOD
Obviously you don't just spam the two moves mindlessly. They are simply very important tools in the matchup - you actually made me go look up an old post by HugS about it just to show you that we're definitely not making this up:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11072912&postcount=9702

Here's the full page if you want to read more, do skip over to the page after that though for a slightly more detailed response:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199342&page=647

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Obviously you don't just spam the two moves mindlessly. They are simply very important tools in the matchup - you actually made me go look up an old post by HugS about it just to show you that we're definitely not making this up:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11072912&postcount=9702

Here's the full page if you want to read more, do skip over to the page after that though for a slightly more detailed response:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199342&page=647
I wish HugS would write a book about all the match ups.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
i like dangle ftilt
so easy lol
I like that too, but you can only get Marths like that at a very specific angle. Players like Skrach seem to know how to space their Dolphin slashes to avoid U-Tilt and D/F Tilts well. The only way I can edgeguard those Marths effectively if I hit them before they touch the stage and force them to alter their trajectory or sweetspot, which can be edgehogged.

Probably the most effective edgeguarding I've seen is what Plup does- grab the ledge into semi-invincible Nair right when Marth Up+Bs a la Sheik's Nair edgeguard. I just need to get the timing down.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Your **** must be really big. And also u must not have ever seen a good samus player on youtube.

also, marth samus...50/50?

Pi

Smash Hero
I like that too, but you can only get Marths like that at a very specific angle. Players like Skrach seem to know how to space their Dolphin slashes to avoid U-Tilt and D/F Tilts well. The only way I can edgeguard those Marths effectively if I hit them before they touch the stage and force them to alter their trajectory or sweetspot, which can be edgehogged.

Probably the most effective edgeguarding I've seen is what Plup does- grab the ledge into semi-invincible Nair right when Marth Up+Bs a la Sheik's Nair edgeguard. I just need to get the timing down.
i edgeguard skrach w/ dsmash huehuehue
no but i played him a couple days ago, dangle ftilt was workin

Hey look a discussion about edgeguarding Marth.
Ctrl + F - "light shield" = 0 hits.

Wut.
i use that when applicable, but it's pretty situational tbh
if the marth has to recover from anything less than max range he's got workarounds
though i feel there is more to be explored with lightshield -> NOT edgehog
ie when they UB AROUND your shield, you waveland off, or when they UB onto the stage, you don't hold out and shieldrop into fsmash or something

Your **** must be really big. And also u must not have ever seen a good samus player on youtube.

also, marth samus...50/50?
lol no marth poops on samus

dtilt

Top Bottom