• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I wish you luck with that, 3.

Also, I really wish I could go to Genesis, but I don't have the money or the ability to go. :( Parents wouldn't allow me to go out that far.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
After playing at brainshock beta, I learned that it is hard to grab marth or get near him. But the extender does help a bit. Marth, sheik, and falcon seem to be my most troubling matchups.

:phone:

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
how do you beat shiek?

What a stupid match-up.
I play with a very good sheik almost every day, and I can attest to you that this MU is extremely difficult when the sheik knows what they are doing. Sinister is a beast in the Sheik vs Samus MU, IHSB can attest to this from the last tourney they played at.

FROM FAR AWAY:
This is going to sound pretty negative, but it is just how it is.. Sheik can outcamp you, there's no ifs or buts about this. Doesn't matter if there are platforms or not... if you are winning the camp war, its solely because the sheik isn't playing properly. Your missiles will probably never make contact and more than likely you'll get pegged by a needle or two.

With that out of the way, let's move onto useful stuff.

UP CLOSE:
Sheik can WD OoS and punish all smash attacks, dtilt, and utilt. If you space your ftilt against her shield she can WD out and try and do something to you (probably grab), but it isn't guaranteed to land (buffer a spotdodge or something like that). You can bomb her shield and get away with it, as far as I can tell, thanks to the frame data provided in another thread I have found that you get that nifty (i think its 10 frames) of advantage when you bomb a shield.

Sheik is going to abuse her amazing shield and try and get you to do something against her shield which will mostly likely lead to you getting grabbed.

IF GRABBED:
Sheik is going to dthrow you, probably 11 times out of 10. She has guaranteed follow ups off this throw at basically every percent and in every direction you try and DI. Unfortunately you just can't get out of this, unless they are slow but that doesn't count anyway. And off this throw getting pegged with a fair will more than likely send you offstage and lead to..

RECOVERING:
Sheik will chuck needles at you at two specific angles. The first and most obvious is directly horizontal from the stage or from a platform, try and avoid bomb jumping in and around this height as it'll only end up with you eating a needle and hindering your recovery.

The second angle is when sheik jumps, either from a platform or from stage, and throws needles. These needles are going to be coming downward at you, but you can avoid them...

If I'm recovering high up, I try to get as close as possible before breaking the horizontal plane of the stage, as you're pretty much guaranteed to eat a needle at this point... And then try and position myself so that I can safely wiggle through where her jumped needles can hit, I like to call it the death angle.

Alright so we made it past the needles... at this point sheik will probably take the ledge and abuse invincibility to bair you. You'll either need to move through the death angle fast enough to be able to grapple recovery before she has time to take the ledge, or wiggle around with bombs and try and make her miss.

MY CONCLUSION:

Be patient, keep your spacing... avoid being grabbed at basically all costs. Most of your options against her shield simply do not work... but that doesn't mean that this MU is impossible, just pretty difficult.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
Beautiful.

Don't forget to CC Sheik sometimes, like during Tilts.

Also, you can Missile Sheik during horizontal needles if time and positioned properly when she recoils. Can be very disheartening to a Sheik player.
but good sheiks won't tilt samus if she's on the ground

-sinister

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Well no, it's not a serious video, it was a humorous response. The point I was trying to make is that charge shot is pretty good against Sheik, and that harassing her with charge shot while she's offstage is alright. Being able to call out a jump and punish it is also a good skill to have in Melee.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
dthrow wd back to charge shot covers all options except if they (for some reason) di up on the dtthrow or jump out out. It's just timing.

Pi

Smash Hero
jumping out is pretty common,which has it's own punishes, but still...i wouldn't say it's 'guaranteed charge shot' =\

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
jumping out is pretty common,which has it's own punishes, but still...i wouldn't say it's 'guaranteed charge shot' =\
Yeah it's usually a good idea to fake them out the first grab and watch how they react so you can gauge them.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Are you able to sh/fh immediate charge shot to cover the jump? I assume its not possible to cover both jump and no jump with a jump&immediate charge shot.

:phone:

Pi

Smash Hero
it's not, she falls too early & samus jumps too high, even on a SH
if it were like fox's sh you might be able to get both options

Pi

Smash Hero
plup for sure lol
(for the 'be on the list', not exactly the 'best samus')
though if he would knock off the SC2 i think he could do it

Pi

Smash Hero
yea, hugs
i'd give djn 2nd best samus too

lol wow i just realized i voted for phanna
i wish he still played man,
phanna vs. spaceballs for most entertaining samus dits?

Top Bottom