• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Family Fun Arcade (Granada Hills, CA) Brawl Tourney: Sunday, April 20th (No Items)

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
lol it was 2 hours because of traffic, not distance lol
this was a great tourney regardless i didnt expect them to be able to run a smash tourney in ffa but too pull it out with 60 ppl i tip my hat hahahha good **** dave for yelling all day over the machines..

i dont see how ppl can explain its a learning experiance im sure next time theyll be more setups and more of a better time constraint the tourney was also good cuz of the snack but and it was never really hot and there was other things to do =)

7th place second brawl tourney hahahah too good =) and to clarify mike had an easy bracket thats y he got 5th he woulda got ***** by me =)

claire u cant really complain though because u guys were late they actually held up the tourney for u just because u were signed up when ppl who were already there were waiting with the money in there hand to enter u have to think about how they felt because u guys took the spots

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
there was nothing indicating a cut off so we drove two hours to get there. Think how you'd feel if you drove two hours, were parking outside the door and told you might have to just drive back home. We called an hour before to get signed up and we were only 10 minutes late (strictly due to traffic). I'm not complaining on our behalf so much as for the people who were unable to enter. All i'm saying is for them to give heads up if there will be a cut off in the future. Isn't that a legit request?

Btw Good job getting 7th! All that Nemar Pott practice hmm? ^___^

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
claire u cant really complain though because u guys were late they actually held up the tourney for u just because u were signed up when ppl who were already there were waiting with the money in there hand to enter u have to think about how they felt because u guys took the spots
Awwww how cute

festizzio

Smash Champion
Fun tourney, although I had a major headache afterwards. >_> Reaaaaaaaally loud in there. =\
Anyways, I'm sure there would have been many more entrants for Melee if 1. The first post had been updated, 2. It wasn't late on a sunday with people having school the next day. I asked plenty of people if they were staying for Melee, and the response was "Can't, I have school tomorrow". So yeah. Maybe start the tourney earlier next time? I don't know what restrictions you guys have and all that, but the earlier the better. Still, great tourney. Props to Dae.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
No just do it like last time with Brawl doubles first and Brawl singles right after. And for the sake of ending it as fast as possible, try to have more TV sets and good ones at that. Also, try to start the tourney around 12:00 this time. 3:00 is way too late.

I think this is the umpteenth time that a tourney was run with both Brawl and Melee. Each time, Melee gets much, MUCH less of a turnout than Brawl. Regardless if it's mentioned beforehand or not. It sucks cuz Brawl doubles will most likely have a much greater turnout than Melee singles. Considering the lack of setups, there is no way you can squeeze Brawl doubles, Brawl singles and Melee singles in one day. So just do an all Brawl (with no items lol) tourney. I'm sure most people will be happy that way anyway.

If your going to do Melee, than just do an exclusive Melee tourney with both Melee singles and doubles and no Brawl. There were a handful smashers who came mainly for Melee and I could imagine how tired they were waiting for Brawl to end considering it's much more slow paced than Melee.

I think everyone will be happier that way. I think Gimpy agreed on this too.

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
there was nothing indicating a cut off so we drove two hours to get there. Think how you'd feel if you drove two hours, were parking outside the door and told you might have to just drive back home. We called an hour before to get signed up and we were only 10 minutes late (strictly due to traffic). I'm not complaining on our behalf so much as for the people who were unable to enter. All i'm saying is for them to give heads up if there will be a cut off in the future. Isn't that a legit request?

Btw Good job getting 7th! All that Nemar Pott practice hmm? ^___^
yeah that is true i didnt know the cut off was unexpected that makes sense my bad haha n nemar pott is too good =)

and p...eat a **** *****!!! hahaha

festizzio

Smash Champion
No just do it like last time with Brawl doubles first and Brawl singles right after. And for the sake of ending it as fast as possible, try to have more TV sets and good ones at that. Also, try to start the tourney around 12:00 this time. 3:00 is way too late.

I think this is the umpteenth time that a tourney was run with both Brawl and Melee. Each time, Melee gets much, MUCH less of a turnout than Brawl. Regardless if it's mentioned beforehand or not. It sucks cuz Brawl doubles will most likely have a much greater turnout than Melee singles. Considering the lack of setups, there is no way you can squeeze Brawl doubles, Brawl singles and Melee singles in one day. So just do an all Brawl (with no items lol) tourney. I'm sure most people will be happy that way anyway.

If your going to do Melee, than just do an exclusive Melee tourney with both Melee singles and doubles and no Brawl. There were a handful smashers who came mainly for Melee and I could imagine how tired they were waiting for Brawl to end considering it's much more slow paced than Melee.

It wasn't that bad...I got to see Forbidden Kingdom. :D Melee doubles + singles though, that's where it's at man.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Considering the lack of setups, there is no way you can squeeze Brawl doubles, Brawl singles and Melee singles in one day.
This has been pulled off before by Nezumi, back at Chapman III! You're right about taking the lack of setups into consideration because Brawl is friggin slow! So slow, that my dial-up can download the entire Extended Lord of the Rings Trilogy before a Brawl tourny can be done!

The Game II

Smash Champion
I've talked to people about this as well, and what you've mentioned is what they've said.

I used to be in favor of "Why not have both games at one venue?" Not anymore. There's just way too many people playing Brawl now to have that. If the average Brawl tourney had 25 or less entrants, then I think the T.O.s could do Brawl singles, Brawl teams, and Melee singles. But we're talking about F.F.A's last two Brawl tourneys having 57 singles entrants (remember, people avoided that one because there were items so it could have easily been more) and 64 entrants, which easily could have been 70.

And it's not just F.F.A. There's tournament series all over SoCal getting attendance numbers higher than when they were doing Melee.

Atlus, Chapman III worked, but that was just when Brawl was fresh and before people started "taking sides." Do the same thing today, and it'll be a repeat of last night.

What happened at Aznforce's tourney on Saturday? He had Melee singles, Brawl teams, Brawl singles. How many people showed up for Melee singles? Aznforce was telling me that we were going to get kicked out because we were running overtime (yes I'm name dropping but I'm making a point here). Take away those 2 hours to accommodate the grand total of 13 Melee participants, and there's no worry of overtime.

Dae, Tom and other future tournament organizers have to say "I'm sorry" to one collective group. Someone's going to be disappointed, but that's the way things go. And I don't think I've said this in a long time; if people want a tournament in their area and nobody's running one, then take the initiative and organize one.

It's best if tournament organizers pick one of the games and do singles and teams for that game. They can then concentrate on promoting just that game.

--GCII

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
that's incorrect, because this tournament would've EASILY got a significant turnout for melee if not for a few simple **** ups. I didn't even see this had Melee in it until Sunday morning; the title wasn't updated nor the first page.

If you treat Melee like a side project in your tournament, it's going to get side project attendance. Don't show minimal effort to incorporate or advertise Melee and then go, "See guys? We told you, now let's stop doing this."

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Claire - I know, thats the problem. There's always traffic near LAX. Sunday - Saturday 24 /7 =/

NeighborhoodP said:
that's incorrect, because this tournament would've EASILY got a significant turnout for melee if not for a few simple **** ups. I didn't even see this had Melee in it until Sunday morning; the title wasn't updated nor the first page.

If you treat Melee like a side project in your tournament, it's going to get side project attendance. Don't show minimal effort to incorporate or advertise Melee and then go, "See guys? We told you, now let's stop doing this."
Actually, Azn Force advertised his Melee tournament one week in advance. He made it CLEAR there were two events. He did not call Brawl the main event, and he did not call Melee the side event. Like 12 people signed up for Melee. So, what's your explanation on why there were 6 times more entrants in Brawl despite both events being equally given attention to?

If you truly believe Melee would get as many sign ups, then maybe you should record the next Spurs Suns game and not skip one yourself =P

That Azn Force tourney to me was indication that even if you have both events, not many people are going to sign up for Melee. It happened at the FFA tournament as well, apparantly, but I suppose you did give a decent reason, but once again there's no explanation as to why the Azn Force one had such little tournout.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Claire - I know, thats the problem. There's always traffic near LAX. Sunday - Saturday 24 /7 =/

Actually, Azn Force advertised his Melee tournament one week in advance. He made it CLEAR there were two events. He did not call Brawl the main event, and he did not call Melee the side event. Like 12 people signed up for Melee. So, what's your explanation on why there were 6 times more entrants in Brawl despite both events being equally given attention to?

If you truly believe Melee would get as many sign ups, then maybe you should record the next Spurs Suns game and not skip one yourself =P

That Azn Force tourney to me was indication that even if you have both events, not many people are going to sign up for Melee. It happened at the FFA tournament as well, apparantly, but I suppose you did give a decent reason, but once again there's no explanation as to why the Azn Force one had such little tournout.
Uh maybe because nobody good entered Melee? It's shown that better players = better turnout. If people saw really good players entering, I'd think they'd be inspired to join themselves. But I also think you're right in saying with Brawl and Melee, people will have to choose due to money restraints, and of course they'll pick the newer game.

So basically my point is, more Melee only tourneys = greater turnout over time. It's a little early to call Melee "dead" by any means.

Edit: Also, Melee started at 9:30. On a Sunday.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend

You're an idiot, Mikael.

WHAT TIME DID MELEE SINGLES START?

WOULD YOU HAVE ENTERED A BRAWL TOURNAMENT THAT LATE? lol ****en joke i swear.

pretty sure half of us were at six flags lol :]

killer tofu

Smash Lord
Not only that.
But after waiting for 4 hours....
14 people is what we got for melee i wonder how many would enter brawl

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
I have to apologize about the 64-player situation. Because of the Melee tournament afterwards (of which we had no idea how long it would have taken or the amount of players that would have entered, which was only 13 in the end), I made the decision to cap it at 64 so that there would be time to run the Melee tournament afterwards, which was a scheduled event. It was an emergency measure for an unprecedented turnout and considering the fact that we had only 4 setups, one of which had a bad picture. For a game like Brawl, I was staring at a 7-9 hour timetable in the face, and no one wanted to stay until the crack of Monday morning. I'm sorry for everyone who showed up after driving all the way over and could not enter through no fault of their own.

To address these issues, the next tournament will have a starting time of 12:00 PM, more stations will be available (we have a new prototype cabinet that has a TV and is console-ready) and we will resume our Brawl Teams + Singles format. If FFA holds Melee tournaments, they will be held as an independent event on their own scheduled day, apart from Brawl.

Edit: In the event of a 64+ tournament, I will institute a Swiss-Bracket elimination format for the considerations of time and train the staff on its implementation. Here is how it will work:

There will be 16 pools of players, roughly even. Each pool is a round-robin format, single match. The top 2 players with the highest score will emerge from each pool into a 32-man Double Elimination bracket with a one-loss penalty applied to the lower-ranking survivor of each pool. All matches from here will be Two out of Three with the exception of Finals-level matches(Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals and Grand Finals).

The Game II

Smash Champion
I imagine that someone's going to say "Allow more people to get out of divisional play."

Just so you know Arly, most tournaments take top 4 in each division. If there's time constraints, then it's top 3.

I don't mind seeing only 2 get out of each division if it's seeded deep enough. Don't change because it's the norm, I'm just warning you of the possible pleas from the community should you run the divisional format.

--GCII

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
Oh, btw, it smelled kind of funny in the arcade once it got late. Do you guys have a skunk problem in Granada?

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
Not only that.
But after waiting for 4 hours....
14 people is what we got for melee i wonder how many would enter brawl
So are you suggesting that out of the 64 entrants that entered Brawl, there wouldn't be at least 14 entrants out of the 64 that would be willing to wait if Brawl started as late as Melee? And what about the tourney on Saturday? Aznforces' tourney. Melee started first and it only had like 10 entrants. Not only was it a complete waste of time but it ****ed over many of the smashers who were willing to stay longer and play Brawl crews. Also, Melee was NOT treated as a side event. It only seemed like that because, as usual, Brawl gets more attention than Melee.

This is pitiful. Most of the fanatics for Melee don't even go to the tourneys they ask for. It's a joke. Kira's tourney which was announced as an exclusive Melee tourney and hyped up for weeks didn't even get as much as a turnout as a simple Brawl Bi-weekly over at S&C.

What does this mean? It means Melee is dying. Simple as that. Most of the Melee supporters that think Melee is going to come back. Sorry it's NOT happening. To think otherwise is just dumb at this point. History is also against the notion of Melee returning. What's happening with Smash now has happened with MANY fighting games. However, the sequels almost always overthrow the game that comes before it. And by the looks of it, the same will happen with Smash. But of course, most of the Melee supporters have only played competitive Smash and are ignorant of the probably future for Melee. Well, whatever. Melee could come back but that is HIGHLY, HIGHLY UNLIKELY. And from the looks of things, things don't look so bright.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE MELEE. But the game is outdated. And of course, nothing lasts forever.

Rob_West

Smash Journeyman
I saw one exciting Brawl match all tourney. DSF vs. Romeo. That was it. But then I saw Romeo land what, six consecutive fairs only to see DSF survive? May bad, maybe it was ONLY four.

Tofu vs. Lovage was freakin' incredible, Tofu vs. Lucky in Falcon dittos was pure win, Festizzio vs. PBody was amazing, MikeHAZE vs. Mango was pretty cool. Let's not forget Lucky vs. Atlus in Falcon dittos. All just wow.

Brawl has better graphics and music. That's all I will give it.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Later this year, I'm going to ONE Brawl tourny! I'm going to prove to all that Brawl is f***ing easy to learn and that any random that has like a weeks worth of practice can r@pe! Mind you, I remember all the times I have played this game, three out of the four days at E for All, Chapman III (imported), and the last time was at Pat's house!

Edit: Cover your a$$whole because you are about to get f***ing r@ped!!!!:mad:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I kind of wish I had gone at this point, but then again I might not have gotten in because of the cap. :dizzy:

Regarding the Melee vs. Brawl debate, I like Melee, but I think it was made obvious that Brawl was going to be much more popular when the weekly(?) Shuffle and Cut brawl tournament outdid the much hyped Pomona Melee tournament in numbers. :dizzy:

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
So are you suggesting that out of the 64 entrants that entered Brawl, there wouldn't be at least 14 entrants out of the 64 that would be willing to wait if Brawl started as late as Melee? And what about the tourney on Saturday? Aznforces' tourney. Melee started first and it only had like 10 entrants. Not only was it a complete waste of time but it ****ed over many of the smashers who were willing to stay longer and play Brawl crews. Also, Melee was NOT treated as a side event. It only seemed like that because, as usual, Brawl gets more attention than Melee.

This is pitiful. Most of the fanatics for Melee don't even go to the tourneys they ask for. It's a joke. Kira's tourney which was announced as an exclusive Melee tourney and hyped up for weeks didn't even get as much as a turnout as a simple Brawl Bi-weekly over at S&C.

What does this mean? It means Melee is dying. Simple as that. Most of the Melee supporters that think Melee is going to come back. Sorry it's NOT happening. To think otherwise is just dumb at this point. History is also against the notion of Melee returning. What's happening with Smash now has happened with MANY fighting games. However, the sequels almost always overthrow the game that comes before it. And by the looks of it, the same will happen with Smash. But of course, most of the Melee supporters have only played competitive Smash and are ignorant of the probably future for Melee. Well, whatever. Melee could come back but that is HIGHLY, HIGHLY UNLIKELY. And from the looks of things, things don't look so bright.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE MELEE. But the game is outdated. And of course, nothing lasts forever.
I wish you were worth the time for me to even refute all the idiocy you stated.

The Game II

Smash Champion
For the record, the SnC Brawl tourney did outdraw the Pomona Melee tournament, but it wasn't by some insane margin. I think it was something like a 5-person difference (30-25?). I have the bracket, I'll check later on, after I work on videos for the next 6 hours.

Hey Dae or Tom, when is the SBO qualifier for GG? I plan to cover that event.

--GCII

killer tofu

Smash Lord
wow this melee vs brawl bull**** is getting intense eh?

The way I see it, The only die hard melee people are people who arent as good as brawl. Now dont get me wrong, mango, gimpy, loveage, they're all really cool guys, and im sure they could wipe the floor with me at melee or brawl. But these guys were top of the chain at melee, and brawl comes around, and they arent as hot anymore. It would piss me off too, but in my opinion, this should just be seen as a fun new challenge. A chance to play some really intense matches again. Its boring and lonely at the top and i think the diehard melee people should suck it up and focus on their brawl game.

I loved melee, played it nonstop for 7 years. and because of that its ****ING BORING NOW. I can barely stand to watch melee now. I've had so much more fun in the last month than during any of my melee years. Brawl is ****ing fun, and I think that in the end it should really be all about fun. And notice the biggest argument from melee enthusiasts isnt melee is more fun, it's "melee is better" they like melee better because it had more ofa technical aspect, and MAYBE a little more skill was needed. Well as far as Im concerned, I'd rather have fun than spend hours perfecting my waveshining.

Now for tournies sake, I think melee should be phased out if for no other reason than it is old. You dont see street fighter 2 and halo 2 tournies for a reason people. Even if you think brawl is a step down, you people demanded a new smash, and then **** all over it when you got it. Oh, and as for the cheering thing, CLEARLY you werent there at Aznforce. During psychomidgits match, and the match between DSF and Mr X. Jesus christ I nearly went deaf. The arcade didnt get as much cheering for brawl because all the noise from the arcades was making people grumpy lol. At least that was the case for me.

Brawl is a fun game, and its giving some new people a chance to be good. Something I've always admired about the smash community is its friendliness and openness to newcomers. no other game has a following as nice as ours. you dont have a ride to the halo tourney? too bad for you, your neighbor wont drive you, they'll laugh in your face. But not smash. The people I've met over the last few months have been so cool, and so open. Let's not drive people away by telling them the game they play is stupid, and lets not divide up the community by trying to stick to the old ways. Brawl is more popular, and it's going to win regardless. Im sorry to say it but thats the way it is.

Now, melee fans, brawl fans, and us douchebags trying to rock both. Lets put these stupid arguments aside, and just go out and have some mother ****in fun!

Smash Love,
Sgt Fluffles
Last i played.
Melee was awesomely fun
Brawl was terribly boring to play/watch.
wtf are you talking about?

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Now dont get me wrong, mango, gimpy, loveage, they're all really cool guys, and im sure they could wipe the floor with me at melee or brawl. But these guys were top of the chain at melee, and brawl comes around, and they arent as hot anymore.
wow, I was top of the chain at melee? ok lol. i'm actually a lot better at brawl then melee, but brawl bores me to tears so I would rather play melee any day. even if the pot is 80% smaller. the game is too much fun

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend

hmmm, pretty sure Romeo left because it was too late, pretty sure i almost left.

Mikael, you're an idiot. You change your opinion every other post, first you say you love melee, then the instant someone says otherwise you say you hate it, come up with your own arguments instead of living through others.

Top Bottom