• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Family Fun Arcade (Granada Hills, CA) Brawl Tourney: Sunday, April 20th (No Items)

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
So.... how about them FFA tournaments? Pretty good tournaments.......

Are they gonna post results on AiB?

When is Glen updating his ranking shinaningans?

I think we should loops this thread back in the right direction... over the span of the last few pages it has turned from a tournament thread into a replica of every other thread in the Pacific West Forums...

Maybe if we tackle this one thread at a time we can turn this site back from "melee vs. brawl"boards.com back into SMASHboards.com

By the way, I know some of you guys get your jollies posting negative comments and bashing little kiddies in a VIDEO GAME Forum..... but honestly now... enough is enough.... and for those of you who are older, you know verbally attacking a minor online can get you in a whole lot of legal trouble? Even if you think it's just a joke, some people actually get really offended by the things some of you say. Thats all it takes. Grow up now ....no johns.

Hasuko

Smash Rookie
I've got a lot to say.

First off, Sunday will always be the day for tournaments at FFA as having it on Saturday causes the arcade to lose too much income. So get this "no more Sunday tournaments" business out of this thread.

Melee will not be happening anymore at FFA on Brawl days. Period.

Thirdly, if you want to blame anybody for the way the tournament was run, go ahead and blame me. Arlieth wasn't there to run it because, well, he has a life and things come up. Jocund50 was nice enough to offer to take over AS A FAVOUR to Arlieth. ON TOP of all that, Arlieth and Jocund don't HAVE to run these tournaments for you ungrateful sods. Jocund doesn't get paid for all this **** you put him through, seriously, you people need to be a little more ****ing thankful. Try running your own tournament, it's a thankless ****ing job and you rarely, if ever, get props for being a tournament planner, even if it goes off well. All people do is ***** and complain about it. In my opinion, you need to put yourself in Jocund's position and see if you have as much to ***** about.

Next.

a few things for FFA
1. If you're going to host a tournament AND take a cut of the money you cannot force people to play on an unplayable TV.
I hardly would call it unplayable. Also, if you haven't noticed, FFA is not exactly rolling in it. They are doing the best they can to provide you people with a tournament venue. Once again, drop this entitled attitude. FFA doesn't owe you ****. They don't have to run tournaments. They don't have to bust their ***** to do the best they can.

2. If you're going to have a cut-off on how many people enter, you MUST announce it on the boards. We drove practically 2 hours to get there, called ahead of time to get signed up, were about one minute away and were told we might not be allowed to enter.
and
there was nothing indicating a cut off so we drove two hours to get there. Think how you'd feel if you drove two hours, were parking outside the door and told you might have to just drive back home. We called an hour before to get signed up and we were only 10 minutes late (strictly due to traffic). I'm not complaining on our behalf so much as for the people who were unable to enter. All i'm saying is for them to give heads up if there will be a cut off in the future. Isn't that a legit request?
First off, the cut off was not announced because the previous turnouts for these FFA tournaments had always been around 30 people. It's a legitimate request, however, we had no idea there would be over 64. Now I agree we should have had a cutoff announcement, but we also had no idea this many people would show up. What would you like us to do? Stay and allow 70+ people to enter? Then you would have been *****ing about how long Brawl took to finish. WAAAH WE'RE HERE UNTIL 1 AM. CRY CRY CRY. Certain things must be done to keep things in line. If the demand for the tournaments is so high, we have to artifically lower it by adding cutoffs, raising entry fees, etc. There is no way we can run a tournament of that magnitude and have everybody out by a certain time. It's just not possible unless you have more setups than we can possibly have at FFA.

3. More set-ups, more organization, more chairs, more respect for the people playing. Yelling at people who in essence each payed you 3 dollars to be there will not only ensure a miserable tournament, but guarantee that fewer people will be bothering to go back for future tournaments.
Respect. You want to talk about respect. Try a little respect for your organizers. Dae was not supposed to run that tournament, he was doing somebody a favour and did VERY WELL with what he had. Drop. The. Entitlement. *****. Attitude.

Also. LOL. Three dollars. THREE DOLLARS. Do you realise the absurdity in that statement? You're acting as if paying FFA $3 means they should genuflect to you and yours. I lol. Also, see above re: FFA not rolling in it.

4. be more alert of where the plugs are and who is near them. An important tournament match had to be replayed because the system got unplugged.

Considering 1 guy practically ran this chaos by himself, it went fairly well (kudos to that guy!). 8 hours for one event though? No bueno.
OH MY GOD SRS BIZ WE HAD TO REPLAY AN IMPORTANT MATCH. Get the **** over yourself. It's a **** game. Chill the **** out and have fun.

While complimenting Dae is nice, I would honestly like to see you do a better job when you were stepping in without much prior notice. Please. He had to make some really tough decisions, including disqualifying his friends. If you're going to show such blatant disrespect for somebody who's busting their *** ON THEIR OWN TIME ON THE WEEKEND WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE TO BE THERE.. Well. LOL. That's really all I have to say. Lol.

So what then? Change the venue? That's great, but where would we host it?

Unless you're stepping up with possible alternatives or running your own **** tournament, I really don't want to hear any *****ing.

Edrees don't even waste your breath or time. They are full of excuses. Nothing more and nothing less. Bet half of them already know Melee is going to die. It's dumb and a complete waste of time. Some people just can't handle the truth. Oh btw, I attended both Aznforces tourney and the one at FFA when I had a mid-term to study for the next day. Just to let you people know how much I like Brawl.
Lolpriorities.

Also. Take this Brawl VS Melee bull**** out of this thread.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Wow, stop with the flaming. Claire was just giving you suggestions and you just took it up the ***.

Hasuko

Smash Rookie
Her suggestions work for a small, 25-30 person tournament in a larger room. We don't yell at people out of anger. We yell to notify them their matches are up and to get ready. When the numbers get bigger, things change. Lots of people in a tiny area.. Well, if you've been to Evo, you'll know what I mean.

It's also the way she phrased her suggestions (in a very entitled manner) and what she said. Based on her comments, you can conclude that she has never been to a larger tournament.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
She has been to larger tournaments, including the 200+ person tourney in Reno at the beginning of April.

Hasuko

Smash Rookie
Alright, then a 200 person tourney that had how many organizers and how much more advice notice? I'm assuming more than just one poor guy to fend for himself.

You have to understand the circumstances here.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I understand the circumstances. But as a TO, you should always expect the worst when running a tourney. Based on what others have said, it makes me believe that you assumed every tourney would be the same and nothing would change, making your job easier. A good TO makes plans in advance to avoid things that can drive people away, cause the tournament to run slower, etc.

I think people would've preferred to stay late for a tournament rather than not be able to enter at all

Hasuko

Smash Rookie
I'm not running the Smash tournaments directly, though I do run other tournaments at FFA. That was just the conceived notion the Smash TOs had.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
just to throw it out there... yes, that tv was completely unplayable for a tournament match.

never ever ever ever use that tv for tournament matches. ever.

never ever ever.

seriously.

never again.

one last note to the apparent TO that wasn't the actual TO...
caaallllmmmmm ddooowwwnnnnn

i'd go into detail more, but i'm not gonna bother, theres enough spam and arguments in this thread already.

seriously, everone knows the tourney went great etc etc we had a lot of fun and all things considered we had a lot of fun, but theres no need to come in here and start swearing at everyone over a few suggestions.

it's not like people don't appreciate TOs (which apparently is something that you think is the case?) we absolutely do, and everyone just wants every event to go as smoothly as possible.

just hire neal or something, he will make all of your tourney problems go away hahaha

Charoo

Smash Champion
just to throw it out there... yes, that tv was completely unplayable for a tournament match.

never ever ever.

seriously.

never again.

i'd go into detail more, but i'm not gonna bother, theres enough spam and arguments in this thread already.

seriously, everone knows the tourney went great etc etc we had a lot of fun and all things considered we had a lot of fun, but theres no need to come in here and start swearing at everyone over a few suggestions.

it's not like people don't appreciate TOs (which apparently is something that you think is the case?) we absolutely do, and everyone just wants every event to go as smoothly as possible.

just hire neal or something, he will make all of your tourney problems go away hahaha
and his trusty sidekick, champ

EzynJAY

Smash Lord

never ever ever.

seriously.

never again.

i completly agree with gimpy..and before anything is said too me i was one of the ppl supporting ffa and dae in my post for running the tournament and doing what he did

we understand you guys run a buisness and have to make good with what you have..but at the same time u need to calm down and not react the way you did to some of the things she said espcially if your running a buisness..

it was a very important tournament match and the tvs turned off while futile was winning and because of that had to replay the match bassicly costing him the set..which is a completly legitimate reason to complain when u pay money to compete..that tv was unplayable i was getting a headache just looking at it..

which is why i dont understand when u have big screen tvs with marvel y u couldnt hook up a wii too one espicailly when we payed an extra 3 dollars and it was 60 ppl and marvel is getting a quarter a play..u cant say u did the best with what u have when we pay more and should get at least a little more effort thats all we ask for. =)

LuCKy

Smash Master
yea those big screens were tight.....lol why didn't we use them?

also...was there a limit to how many wiis could be set up?

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
yea those big screens were tight.....lol why didn't we use them?
ok now guys think about that statement, on why FFA didn't. Where can we put the marvel machines at then? I'm pretty sure almost all of you saw people playing on those machines, it wouldn't be fair for them. If we do put them in the other cabinets, some of the sticks aren't even working or the buttons b/c FFA aren't recieving any of the parts for it. And again think about the business of fairness.

Hasuko

Smash Rookie
we understand you guys run a buisness and have to make good with what you have..but at the same time u need to calm down and not react the way you did to some of the things she said espcially if your running a buisness..
I don't run FFA, and I have nothing to do with it. My issue was with people bagging on Dae, as he busted his *** to run this tournament, and the general populace seemed ungrateful.

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
it was a very important tournament match and the tvs turned off while futile was winning and because of that had to replay the match bassicly costing him the set..which is a completly legitimate reason to complain when u pay money to compete..that tv was unplayable i was getting a headache just looking at it..
They weren't even using that bad TV. I don't want to be rude, but why are you complaining on two different subjects that aren't related. During the tournament, I did indeed stop using that TV and only used the other three.

Rob_West

Smash Journeyman
I understand as to why the Marvel machines weren't used. Well, at least the one on the left. The one on the right one's P2 was broken so I think it may have been usable. But not my tournament and not my suggestion to make. Especially considering it will more than likely be fixed the next time the tourny rolls around.

Dae managed this tourney really well all by himself. I still give him huge props. :/

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
They weren't even using that bad TV. I don't want to be rude, but why are you complaining on two different subjects that aren't related. During the tournament, I did indeed stop using that TV and only used the other three.
lol how is it two different subjects..the tv costed some1 a set and placing and this wasnt a free tournament it goes together pretty well to me

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
just a few things.

1. I've hosted a 95 person tournament, by myself with 5 events that started at 2 and ended at 9:30
2. I've been to at least one tournament every weekend for the last 2 years. Some weekends I've attended 2 or three.
3. I had to play 2 (almost 3) tournament sets on the broken TV
4. I was giving tips as one TO to another, since I know how insane it is running a tournament. I gave him a lot of kudos at the end of my contribution on how to run better tournaments in the future. He did an amazing job running things solo, but it doesn't change that there are things that can be improved for future events. If it came off as condescending or rude, that wasn't really the intent. Other TO's appreciate constructive criticism...I know I'd appreciate tips on how to make my tournaments run better.
5. Apparently I get yelled at for trying to shift the direction of conversation in this thread.... I guess if i have to take a hit for the "melee vs. brawl" tangent to end, then so-be-it.

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
lol how is it two different subjects..the tv costed some1 a set and placing and this wasnt a free tournament it goes together pretty well to me
Like I said they weren't even using the broken TV, ask The Game II b/c he was recording the match from the TV that was working.

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
Like I said they weren't even using the broken TV, ask The Game II b/c he was recording the match from the TV that was working.
no no i meant to say the power shortage sorry for the confusion that other tv was just unusable period

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
no no i meant to say the power shortage sorry for the confusion that other tv was just unusable period
lol its cool, yeah I know thats why I just stopped using it to a point. But we were on shortage on TVs, and considering the amount of people I had no choice but to use that TV. The Power shortage was just bad luck.

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
lol its cool, yeah I know thats why I just stopped using it to a point. But we were on shortage on TVs, and considering the amount of people I had no choice but to use that TV. The Power shortage was just bad luck.
yeah i know thats why i was suggesting using the big screen but regardless its all good and its over so it doesnt matter

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
Well I like to give explanations to my reasonings so that way people don't think we're trying to cheat you guys for your money.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
it's not that, it's just that if you guys needed a TV, i'm sure somebody from the community could have helped out...unless you didn't know the tv was messed up lol

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
Didn't know at all really, I thought all TV's were good to go, but that surprised me when you mentioned it that day.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
yeah that third tv has a couple blown color guns from the looks of it, I didn't play on it personally so I didn't get a good look at it, but I don't think its practical to try to fix it, unless you got a buddy that has connections for parts on that model, and you're certified for electronic repairs, its probably cheaper to replace it (note: it might have been something wrong with lighting, in which case i know nothing about that)

also, to hasuko, in your words "chill the **** out and have fun." we've given nothing but props to dae (didn't care for the house taking a 37.5% cut though) and dae did a very good job for running a 64 man tournament by himself

Top Bottom