• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flashy Sonic Combo (yes, a real combo)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Since I'm obsessed with footstool jumps, I've been trying to find characters who can combo into them from regular attacks. I've come up with some nice character-specific combos so far involving footstools and the Ice Climbers, Fox, Lucario, ZSS and a few others. But one of the biggest standouts I've seen in terms of flashiness is Sonic.

If you've played against a level 9 Sonic CPU, you may find that sometimes he'll use his side B and then somehow footstool you after hitting with it.

You can do this by jumping as soon as you hit the opponent with Sonic's side B attack (I can't remember the name of it. All his B moves are pretty much the same thing 9_9) and then jumping again just as you overlap with the flying opponent. Sonic should foostool off the opponent and send them falling helplessly to the ground.

Now the good thing about Footstool jumps is that if it's done to an opponent in the air, and they hit the ground mid-fall, it can't be teched and they're vulnerable during the bounce. This means that Sonic can DI backwards very slightly before using his Dair to get both hits on the prone opponent before they can do anything. Very stylish, even if it is difficult to do and the damage isn't really worth it.

You MAY be able to hit with a homing attack instead, but I'm not sure. Haven't tried it.

I'd record it if I had access to recording equipment, but unfortunately, I don't.

Ereki

Smash Cadet
I tested this myself. It works, but using the D-Air is rather hard to pull off. Granted, they are on the ground for a set time, but if you can't aim it properly, you might get punished on their wake up.

The Side-B > Neutral B works wonders, though. It does 1% more damage than Side-B > D-Air [13% guaranteed], granted that you Homing Attack Cancel.

This combo in its entirety becomes obsolete around 80-90%+, however, as the Side-B knocks them a little more ahead of you, so your best bet afterwards is to follow F-Air/U-Air, depending on their position.

andy6915

Smash Rookie
I found this bloody useless. I either actually go through my opponent (Sonic passes right through them somehow), or it hits them away before a footstool can even happen,or makes my do my "jump out of a spin" move. I did, against three different 4 different characters, did not get it to work (Pikachu, Pit, Fox, and ROB). So either this doesn't work, or I will have to throw this in with stutter step x2 as AT's that I can't get to work.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Andy, if you can't get the stutter step x2 (can't we get this thing a better name?) down then you're probably not the most reliable source of testing information.

Ness, is there really any point to foot stooling rather than using an aerial attack? @.@
The second you can footstool you can nair right?

Of course, I've never really seen the practical use of foot stooling to begin with but... if I'm missing something here please let me know.

andy6915

Smash Rookie
Footstooling has plenty of use. It acts as a spike, so if you can pull it off on a recovering character, it will send them in a downward spiral that will probably kill them. Though, it is hard to land on them just right to do it. And, sorry for sucking too much for you, meanie. I can get the normal one to work absolutely perfectly. The other one just makes me do my dash attack on accident, or makes me just do the stutter step x1. Really, jerking the stick in two directions before doing an attack immediately afterwards is very hard. I'm sure I'm not the only Sonic mainer to think that it's too hard, and not worth it when the first version works well enough anyway.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
isnt necessarily true andy, ft jump helps u a bit but its not worth the risk to jump out there and sacrifice an attack for an ft. Plenty of ppz can burn their 2nd jump then use their 3rd jump with no prob. chars like pit whos up b is a super recovery, it wont affect him almost at all, though it will be easier to gimp his wings and watch him fall to his death. Point is ive tried to implement ft gimping but it isnt effective, and the spindash to ft isnt really new. It his highly situational. :/

andy6915

Smash Rookie
I actually agree with you.I think I've killed maybe two people, ever, with a footstool. I've for the most part given up on using them like that, because it usually killed ME. I'm just trying to say, that they're not 100% completely useless.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
hehz. its fun to get one off every once in a while, that eet es.

It can help if by chance u happen to be at the right place at the right time, other n that....just a poo skill.

skrach8

Smash Lord
here is a combo i came up with.

charge down b, both the attack on the floor and the attack in the air need to connect. after that footstool jump. immediatly after the foot stool jump immedietly do a reverse up b into a down air. the spring will connect forcing the opponent to the opposite direction. down air will connect.

easiest do it on dedede at 0%.

the Skrach combo. video up soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1nARLPkck

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Very nice of you to take total credit for what's otherwise a modification of my original combo. Although that is very flashy.

Why are you using down B instead of side B, may I ask? Side b is faster and easier to hit with.

skrach8

Smash Lord
not taking credit for the whole thing. well actually i figured out the whole thing with out reading this thread. but to be fair u threaded already. im claiming i use the spring and the dair.

i use the down b because u can start it faster. and it hits more. easier to set up.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
This combo looks soo awesome. It's a shame it's so hard to pull off.

I did nail someone online with this combo, except that I missed the dair at the end.

It's still incredibly effective though, and I want to practice the timing some more later.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
not taking credit for the whole thing. well actually i figured out the whole thing with out reading this thread. but to be fair u threaded already. im claiming i use the spring and the dair.

i use the down b because u can start it faster. and it hits more. easier to set up.
Alright then. I haven't gotten the hang of down B yet so I rarely use it since Side B just seems to be the same thing only easier. I'm really not much of a Sonic player.

Emerald Chaos

Smash Rookie
Say... can the Side/Down B to Footstool jump be done off the ledge?

And if it can, would it be effective?

Jaz

Smash Ace
Good work Nessy!

Nessbounder is the footstool enthusiast, i'm not sure how the footstool and recovery times work yet, i'm sure there is a thread around here somewhere, it would be effective if you could do it off the stage, but i can see it being really hard to hit a air born off the stage character with the side or down B unless the down is jumped?, a Fair would be a safer/easier option.

I trialled both side and down B on a snake in training and it worked really well, especially with the spike right afterwards, the computer doesn't tech that either so you can do into a dash cancelled Usmash

sonic + lag ='s frustration i'll have to wait till i vs a human in the flesh

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yeah, I used to think footstool jumps were godly and able to flinch the opponent even through shields and attacks, but I was sorely disappointed when I got the game and found out that they only work on people who are either in a neutral stance or suffering from hitstun/lag.

However, they still have some cool properties to them, like giving some characters rare combos thanks to the un-techable ground bounce.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
pretty nasty guys. I like the sound of that upb dair thing, i gotta try that. is the stool jump even necessary in that combo though? (i guess i could see why it may be, but i am just curious)

and have you guys ever tried finishing that combo with a Dair? if you catch the opponent in the startup frames of the dair, sonic kicks them twice. Once when he is bringing his leg up, and then again as he brings it down and starts to descend.

EDIT: Footstool jumps definately work off the edge whetehr you are in spindash or not.

You gotta understand that if you jump while spindashing, you can cancel into anything including footsool. This is a really good idea if you can pull it off over the edge.
Plus sonic's recovery, you should be able to get back no problem so long as you dont get slammed into a wall or somthing.

The one thing you must be weary of. If you have already used your second jump, and you do and spindash/charge in the air, you will not be able to cancel out of it until it is done.

IN FACT! i have noticed that if i START a spindash/charge while in the air(having used air-jump already), and land after i execute the dash, and proceed off the edge in any mannor, i get stuck in the spin dash and die spinning into oblivion.
Be carefult about that, it has gotten me a few times. Its probobly a good rule of thumb to just initiate spin dashes and spin charges from the ground if at all possible.

but if you use it any other way, make sure u can get to the ground and stay on it.

Top Bottom