• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool possibilities! *MAJOR DISCOVERY found=vid on front page*

_Pope_

Smash Cadet
man. the timing is TIGHT

i have no way to capture frame data, but from what i have tried so far the hardest part of this for me is definitely getting the bomb out at the precise height to make sure you also can get the nair out later. I believe the lock is easier to get if you make sure to land on one side or another, not in the center of the opponent, as this reduces the chance of your bomb messing something up by causing samus to jump. I have been trying to land from the same direction i jumped so as to allow the hit from the nair to extend to the opponent from samus, then when she lands her leg is 'tucked' so as to be far enough away from the bomb explosion. the opposite side seems to works just as well, and can even be easier due to the fact that you don't necessarily have to worry about samus's toe hitting at the precise moment, instead just allowing her larger lower body to get the hit in.

does it matter if you short hop or full hop into the footstool? im guessing short hopping would be better to get the precise distance every time, but do you have to use it in order for the combo to work?

btw, I have been trying from only 1 direction and on gannondorf at 38%, and its still incredibly hard to pull off. hopefully i can get a bit more consistency to actually test some different percentages and characters. if someone did this in a match against me and ended with a charged shot, i would say he deserved the stock, lol.

_Pope_

Smash Cadet
EDIT: after trying it some more i actually believe that its easiest to DI the nair so that you hit the highest part of the opponent in his grounded state with samus's body, not her foot. Im not completely sure, but i think if the bomb causes you to jump you did something wrong, so i guess there is no point to trying to avoid that situation when its easier to do it with samus actually inside the opponent. what i said earlier about trying to move to one side or another just seems to add another step and more timing that is unnecessary if its all done perfectly to begin with.

Where

Smash Rookie
is there any reliable way to actually get the opponent in the air to footstool them at like 0% or something?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
is there any reliable way to actually get the opponent in the air to footstool them at like 0% or something?
As Carter said, Utilt'ing them, On heavies it works like 3 or 4 times, but on lighter wieghted chars the Utilt lock of ours only works like twice. Third U tilt will send them far away from you as you'll hit them out of the air. We don't want this, I'd suggest 2 Utilts on light weights and 3 on heavies, time them well guys.

Where

Smash Rookie
so why not try this stuff at 0 instead of 30 or 40. and ive noticed that to time this to where you get a bomb immediately you have to alter you finger placing a bit and it feels really awkward. i put my index finger on X and thumb on B. would this be easier with a diff control scheme?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I'm just wondering when we can ever get an Utilt on a grounded opponent.

That's dangerous to be that close.
While yes, you are correct in this, it's our only shot to get this in, also it's not very applicable, it's just fun to do on a friend of yours that doesn't play competitively. there's no way a legit player would get hit by an Utilt, all chars can spot dodge during the start up animation of samus' Utilt.

we hit with it due to mind games, and it's generally them getting hit out of the air. if not however try and set this up

Werk!

Smash Rookie
My memory's foggy. Isn't FF-canceled U-air => U-tilt one of the only "true" combos we have?

Or does that result in an aerial U-tilt hit?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
question:

i have jumped on people in the air and it makes me do a SUPER jump while they suffer no footstool. WHat is that?
You can full hop a footstool the same way you can short hop one. Most players short hop their footstools, I know I do. As for my contribution to the thread, there's the oh-so-situational-and-very-hard-to-perform-trick-that-might-not-even-work-in-the-first-place-thing. Here's how you do it. Utilt>sh forward>footstool, platform auto-land (or whatever it's called)>drop through>do stuff. So yeah, you might be able to get to try it on smashville and lylat cruise. Good luck and have fun.

0RLY

Wooh! I confirmed my above trick in a game! Of course, I was more excited about succeeding in the trick than the actual game so the combo wasn't all that amazing. It was on Lylat and I did a drop through nair which started a jab lock that only lasted 2 jabs... stupid stage tilting... but it led into an ftilt. Not the best idea... but if I was more prepared/no stage tilting... I'd be able to get a much longer jab lock... or at least an fsmash in place of the ftilt. It works... it's just... hard. Just like every other trick with Samus.
Yeah, I think all these other tricks kinda work with other characters too... so it's not exactly unique

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Falco does that to Metaknight at Rainbow Cruise for a ~ 0 to death combo. It's a hidden video on youtube but it's been around for a while.

And Xyro I face the same problem. Like when Pit uses his Up B (level 9 CPU) I have tried three times now to fall off and footstool, but instead I do that ridiculous super jump.

It's also happened a few times where I was King Dedede trying to do a SH jump -> immediate dair, but I do a super jump instead.

This is not a full hopped footstool either, because the footstool sound does not go off, and the opponent suffers no footstool lag and you don't even SEE the character jump off thier head. The whole animation is skipped, the opponent moves freely, and you are way up in the air.

An explanation?

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I believe that this occurence is when the opponent is in the middle of their jump. Try jumping with a character, then doing a footstool immediately off of their head. It is hard to get the timing right, and I am not even sure if normal jumps are subject to this.

But I am almost completely certain that characters that are in the middle of using up B are immune to the stun and spikage of a footstool. Also, as you stated, you go much higher as a result of this, and I dont think that you can make it any lower. You might be able to space jump with it... I dont know. That would be pointless to our discussion.

0RLY

Footstools are glitched. They don't always work. Footstool canceling is like a detrimental technique. It doesn't help you in any way and you can't really control it. Footstools don't work when whoever you're jumping on is in the middle of a certain animation. In such a situation, the entire footstool animation is skipped, there is no sound effect, and your opponent does not tumble/fall down. If you check the heights, the "super jump" goes exactly as high as a FH'd footstool.

As for pit, just nair or fair.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Footstools are glitched. They don't always work. Footstool canceling is like a detrimental technique. It doesn't help you in any way and you can't really control it. Footstools don't work when whoever you're jumping on is in the middle of a certain animation. In such a situation, the entire footstool animation is skipped, there is no sound effect, and your opponent does not tumble/fall down. If you check the heights, the "super jump" goes exactly as high as a FH'd footstool.

As for pit, just nair or fair.
fall off and fire a homing missile towards him, srsly it will prolly always hit him, or your UpB with and he won't be able to do anything.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Is it like a setup>footstool>bomb>detonate>bombcrouchcancel or something>jabcancel>setup>rinse/repeat or something like that... I'm just guessin' before its actually posted. Or maybe somekind of projectile (super missile?) >setup or d-air>footstool or jabcancel>bombcrouchcancel to jabcancel after footstool>rinse and repeat.

again. I'm just posting for the fun and possible chance of coming close to getting it right. ^_^. I'll be waiting for the release. Just hope we don't get rick-rolled or something ^_^.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Is it like a setup>footstool>bomb>detonate>bombcrouchcancel or something>jabcancel>setup>rinse/repeat or something like that... I'm just guessin' before its actually posted. Or maybe somekind of projectile (super missile?) >setup or d-air>footstool or jabcancel>bombcrouchcancel to jabcancel after footstool>rinse and repeat.

again. I'm just posting for the fun and possible chance of coming close to getting it right. ^_^. I'll be waiting for the release. Just hope we don't get rick-rolled or something ^_^.
if xyro knew about something he'd want to tell all of us. it's very rare he keeps secrets about samus, he's all about futhering ner metagame so he doesn't like hiding something.... this makes me skeptical about this godly new tech..

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.

The original plan was for me to stay out of sight I believe but I really don't see a reason now.

The tech is not as primitive as a simple set up. It has something new with it to make this the second most legit footstool combo in the game next to ZSS's.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
*Guessing for fun again until the release*

-let' see... Z-air>something>maybefootstool..
-jabcancel on shield>footstool>bomb>other things>lock>ownage?
-platform dependent bombcrouchcancel shenanigans?
-initial footstool>ground>bombcrouchcancel>bomb explodes>jump>footstool again (can you even do that?!)> bombcrouchcancel again> rinse and repeat?
-something similar to one above but some d-air (aerial where opponent is send into ground)

-Oh i got it... "something">footsool>"something else">"another thing">"more things">"possibly the same previous things"> "something amazing in the end". DUDE! I think i got it!.... lol. ^_^

*again... i hope its not a rick-roll... lol. ^_^

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
-Oh i got it... "something">footsool>"something else">"another thing">"more things">"possibly the same previous things"> "something amazing in the end". DUDE! I think i got it!.... lol. ^_^

*again... i hope its not a rick-roll... lol. ^_^
Yep your figured it out. lol

It isn't...... <,<

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
if xyro knew about something he'd want to tell all of us. it's very rare he keeps secrets about samus, he's all about futhering ner metagame so he doesn't like hiding something.... this makes me skeptical about this godly new tech..
Trust me. I am 100% about taking samus to the next level and i WILL unleash everything i know for you guys to pick up and perhaps make better(FF u-air to UP+B or Smash was my first example of this). Except for this NEW tech. It requires more testing because me and savior were workin on it last nite and THOUGHT we completly destroyed the tier list with this new tech but we were wrong. We need to mess with this some more and then it will be released but heres some more hints if you HAVE to have them.

Why would i bring this new tech into the FOOTSTOOL thread?
What rhymes with that ZS vs rob vid?

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
i dont understand how this could work she's really floaty and a lot of her move are spacey so i dont see hoe we could have anything like the Zss video.

but i am intrested to see a video with samus just so that i can be wrong.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
It turns out me and savior cannot test it as much as we WANT to due to various reasons so we will release the video in a few hours. Fair?

Top Bottom