• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For glory? More like for Jack***es

Status
Not open for further replies.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
Oh my god I wish there was no cussing penalty on here cause that's all this would be. WHAT IS IT WITH YOU PEOPLE!? literally the only thing that happens when I play for glory is someone spamming the same move over and over or comboing me over and over WITH THE SAME COMBO! You cheap idiots do NOTHING but combo spam and ledge guard ALL THE TIME you don't play to enjoy it. You play to win. That's not something to be proud of! I would play "For Fun" but I hate items. And I like a flat plain stage to fight on.
This was gonna be a calm collected thread about players being too aggressive, but as I started making it I realized how truly infuriating the whole thing is.

Ugh...you people ate ridiculous, do you think doing the same thing over and over makes you good!? HAH, Do you really suck so badly that you have to do the same thing over and over to win? If that's the case you're pathetic.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Oh my god I wish there was no cussing penalty on here cause that's all this would be. WHAT IS IT WITH YOU PEOPLE!? literally the only thing that happens when I play for glory is someone spamming the same move over and over or comboing me over and over WITH THE SAME COMBO! You cheap idiots do NOTHING but combo spam and ledge guard ALL THE TIME you don't play to enjoy it. You play to win. That's not something to be proud of! I would play "For Fun" but I hate items. And I like a flat plain stage to fight on.
This was gonna be a calm collected thread about players being too aggressive, but as I started making it I realized how truly infuriating the whole thing is.

Ugh...you people ate ridiculous, do you think doing the same thing over and over makes you good!? HAH, Do you really suck so badly that you have to do the same thing over and over to win? If that's the case you're pathetic.
No johns

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. If someone is spamming the same move over and over again like you say they are, then that's a free glory win.

Last edited:

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
If you're getting hit by the same thing over and over again, maybe you need to rethink your strategy and adapt.
This is a fighting game with real people fighting against other people with their characters, wits and skill. If you're not punishing opponents for playing in a suboptimal way then you're going to need to rethink how you defeat your foes.

Yes, it sucks when you're being zoned out or being hit with the same thing over and over again. But you must be willing to punish your opponent's mistakes and make them use a different strategy rather than getting frustrated. Otherwise, you'll be clouded with angry thoughts that makes you play even more aggressive and reckless which will cause you to lose.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
Welcome to online gaming.

I've played with some excellent players and I've played with some straight up butt heads that spam moves constantly or are obviously trolling (jumping all over he stage without attacking). If it is bad enough I don't even finish the match, I just suicide and don't play them again. Or if I finish the match (it's not hard to beat spammers and trolls generally) I quit playing them after that.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I'm sorry but this sounds almost TOO much like Verlisify...

Last edited:

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
If you're getting hit by the same thing over and over again, maybe you need to rethink your strategy and adapt.
This is a fighting game with real people fighting against other people with their characters, wits and skill. If you're not punishing opponents for playing in a suboptimal way then you're going to need to rethink how you defeat your foes.

Yes, it sucks when you're being zoned out or being hit with the same thing over and over again. But you must be willing to punish your opponent's mistakes and make them use a different strategy rather than getting frustrated. Otherwise, you'll be clouded with angry thoughts that makes you play even more aggressive and reckless which will cause you to lose.
Yeah, I understand that. Only I'm terrible at adapting mid-battle. I love action games but I'm primarily a strategy RPG player...I'm not used to suddenly having to think up a new tactic as the enemy attacks

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Those players are doing you a service in the long run.

If you can't find a way through their combo/projectile, you get plenty of chances to practice against those moves and improve your game in those matches.

It's not like those moves won't give you the same amount of trouble against someone else, it's going to remain a constant obstacle until you decide that your battle record/pride is not as important as getting better should be.

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
Well the point of For Glory is for players to compete to win, so you can't really fault them for playing that way. There will probably be a lot of responses yelling at you for making a rage thread. I don't think that helps anyone. So I typed out some primer tips that maybe you'll find helpful.

First, take a breather when things get frustrating. This is true of players on any level, when you start playing against people better than you it gets frustrating quickly. Try and adapt during the match if you can. When the battles over, think about what you could have done to punish what they were doing. This might pay off the next time you go online and face a similar situation.

As for spamming, this goes all the way back to when Street Fighter 2 took off in arcades. Everyone, everyone when they first play fighting games has a knee jerk reaction that spamming the same move (cough fireballs cough) over and over is cheap. Take that thought and toss it out the window as it will hold you back from getting better. If an opponent is projectile spamming (or any move for that matter), they're doing it because it's being effective. Players, will naturally repeat any strategy or move that appears effective and isn't being punished. Mediocre players who do this get predictable very fast. Most projectiles aren't safe at close or medium close range. What these players are counting on is that you'll make mistakes when you get frustrated and charge in with something like an unsafe aerial.

A big part of fighting games is accepting a new mindset of analyzing why you lost and striving to improve so you don't lose that way again. It's very easy to get frustrated when you encounter a strategy you can't beat. Two things will help you overcome though. Having the attitude of self-improvement in your game. And matchup experience. If you play with the activity to actively improve while your fighting opponents, you will get better. Even if you get frustrated at times, you'll improve.

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
Keep working on your mind games.
I had the same problem at first with a LOT of practise i got slighty better.
This is my first smash I whant to play on competive level i needed to learn a lot also.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
Well the point of For Glory is for players to compete to win, so you can't really fault them for playing that way. There will probably be a lot of responses yelling at you for making a rage thread. I don't think that helps anyone. So I typed out some primer tips that maybe you'll find helpful.

First, take a breather when things get frustrating. This is true of players on any level, when you start playing against people better than you it gets frustrating quickly. Try and adapt during the match if you can. When the battles over, think about what you could have done to punish what they were doing. This might pay off the next time you go online and face a similar situation.

As for spamming, this goes all the way back to when Street Fighter 2 took off in arcades. Everyone, everyone when they first play fighting games has a knee jerk reaction that spamming the same move (cough fireballs cough) over and over is cheap. Take that thought and toss it out the window as it will hold you back from getting better. If an opponent is projectile spamming (or any move for that matter), they're doing it because it's being effective. Players, will naturally repeat any strategy or move that appears effective and isn't being punished. Mediocre players who do this get predictable very fast. Most projectiles aren't safe at close or medium close range. What these players are counting on is that you'll make mistakes when you get frustrated and charge in with something like an unsafe aerial.

A big part of fighting games is accepting a new mindset of analyzing why you lost and striving to improve so you don't lose that way again. It's very easy to get frustrated when you encounter a strategy you can't beat. Two things will help you overcome though. Having the attitude of self-improvement in your game. And matchup experience. If you play with the activity to actively improve while your fighting opponents, you will get better. Even if you get frustrated at times, you'll improve.
I understand, the only flaw in that isn't the tip but my inability to think and adapt quickly. I'm always somehow getting put into a situation in which I get juggled so much that I'm not playing anymore, or its like looking at a gif, even when I do find a way around it, they cone right at me with something else.
how bout you get good
Hah! I'm good, believe me.

SmellTheJava

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0834-0767-5817
"Don't combo me! I want to hit you back but I can't! I just want to hit you and don't get hit!"

Sasuga FGC.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I play to win, and nothing less. If there's no outside rule keeping me from doing something "cheap" and it works, I'll do it. If it was a glitch I'd think about it, but just the moves a character has? I'll do whatever it takes to win.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
"Don't combo me! I want to hit you back but I can't! I just want to hit you and don't get hit!"
That's...not even close to what I said. I don't care about getting combo'd I just HATE being endlessly combo'd on the edge over and over to where I don't even get to play anymore. I could literally put my 3DS down and have the same result.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
So basically you consider that it is wrong for people to play to win in a mode made to play to win?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You're playing a mode that puts people on a flat stage and that records a win and lose ratio, it's a competitive mode, people play to win, you're not going to find people that just sit around and wait for you to hit them. Combos are a natural part of fighting games, luckily for you in Smash there are ways to get out of them, like DI'ing (or vectoring as it's called for this game) and air-dodging. Mind you there are many different combos for characters too, it's your own fault if you fall for the same thing continuously. Many of us also find the For Glory playstyle fun and exciting, so we do play to have fun, I can have fun in a match that I lost too if my opponent performed really well.

Don't get mad at people that outplay you, practice so you can outplay them.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Grrr people play the competitive mode competitively. Grrr I don't like that. Grrr everybody should play the game how I play the game 'cause I'm right and they're wrong.

Grrr

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431

*suppresses urge to say gitgud*

Like others have said, just practice with friends. It's more productive than ranting on Smashboards.

On another note, I'm not sure what's all the hate over MLP. It isn't groundbreaking but it's pretty decent nonetheless.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
Saltines anyone?

No, but for reals. I suck online. I get beat ALL THE TIME by people who aren't creative or particularly talented. But I know it's because I SUCK. I just try to improve. Don't blame your opponent, you'll never improve that way.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I'm terrible at adapting mid-battle. I love action games but I'm primarily a strategy RPG player...I'm not used to suddenly having to think up a new tactic as the enemy attacks
Then you're kind of playing the wrong genre. Reading your opponent and figuring out how to overcome them is basically what Fighting games are all about.

Anyway, if you continue playing Smash you will start to get better at it. Smash is good for teaching you how to adapt because it doesn't obscure matchup dynamics with complex input barriers or anything like that.

As for combos, most combos in this game are escapable by vectoring. A really simple escape method is to just hold up and mash the jump button when you get put into a combo. This is not foolproof, but it will get you out of a lot of situations.

SaiPrime

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-4638-8843

Sounds like you're a competitive type of player too, but you just aren't as good as the people you lose to. I play Little Mac online, and I know for a fact, I lose sometimes. I don't get mad, even when I'm trying to recover with a Jolt Haymaker and he Hydro Pumps me away from the edge. Sometimes it's a bad matchup, sometimes you slip up and make (a) wrong move(s), sometimes they're just better. You just need to evolve as a player. Play on your strengths, recognize and try to cover your weaknesses, and recognize strategies, tells, and chances to make your move. And BTW, I haven't seen but maybe one or two spammers in my time on For Glory. And also, if you're talking about players being too aggressive, it seems like I found one, and it's the person I quoted.

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
They have a for pansies mode. just set a computer to Lvl 1. Happy day.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I understand, the only flaw in that isn't the tip but my inability to think and adapt quickly. I'm always somehow getting put into a situation in which I get juggled so much that I'm not playing anymore, or its like looking at a gif, even when I do find a way around it, they cone right at me with something else.
Well, don't blame others for your own problems. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom