• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Why would you say yoshi's is in falco's favor? I think the fact that falco has NO room to move around hurts him a lot... its the dilemma of DL64 vs yoshi's. On DL64 fox can run away all day and you can't hit him; on yoshi's story you can't move at all because fox can ride your ***.

@foxlisk

I thought most fox players said FD was fox's advantage >_>
i say it because on stages that have room for falco to move around, he loses anyway imo (dl and fd)

which leaves bf, fod and yoshis. i think whichever player happens to be more confortable on fod will win (cuz most people hate it)
as for BF, i think its ridiculously even on that stage, fairly big, nice platforms etc.

yoshis though i think he just has the advantage due to combos. he doesnt need that much space, he's got nice low platforms to camp lasers under, and his uptilt and bair go through the plats.

its between BF and yoshis i think. fox wins on the bigger stages imo

edit: yea and the stuff raynex/unknown said

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
the thing about fox benig able to approach falco on YS is that falco has amazing defensive resources against fox. utilt, CC, and platform camping (not to mention lasers) put a serious damper on how well fox can actually approach. that's part of why fox wins more on the bigger stages (and FD >:o). fox's approach on falco isnt that great unless he gets to set it up, and falco can just **** up fox faster on yoshi's, which makes it easier for him. and fox gets nothing off of almost any upthrow. only a non-DI'd central uthrow at low % has a guaranteed follow up, as falco can always land on a platform otherwise.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
ummm... maybe i'm doing it wrong but as fox against falco i usually knock him down once and he techs for the rest of his stock.

Lovage

Smash Hero
yoshis is fine for fox yall smoking crizzack

its all personal preference whatever stage you feel good about is the one you should go to

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hey Lovage, do you have any good tips vs. the Ice Climbers on FD? anything brief will do.

I have to trust Socal ppl on this one cuz... well... that Fly guy... yeah. LOL

EWC

Smash Ace
Hmm yoshi's is actually my go to counter-pick against falco. Then again this might be influenced by the fact that the best falco I play against regularly is mega campy. I just find that it's a lot easier to corner him there than on any other stage but FD.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
@unknown and raynex

So you don't think a fox that kept falco cornered on yoshi's has the advantage? I understand the combos are ridiculous, but falco has next to no room to breathe when fox approaches from the right angles. Of course falco can catch fox out of the approaches, but its really hard to maneuver at all.

And FD is bad for fox? Hmm these are ideas that are pretty different from mine... any further justification on either of these would be nice.
A Fox that has Falco cornered on any stage has the advantage. I doubt anyone will argue that. But hit for hit, Falco wins - his CCs is nuts and his shine hits harder. On Yoshis this is amplified. You're zooming around the stage in close quarters and you're bound to get hit more often, pressured more often, lasered into your shield more often. The strange arrangement of platforms on Fountain is usually enough hinder Falco's movement, but not anymore. Unlike the bigger stages you have nowhere to run to. Going up on platforms is great and all, but Falco is only an utilt/SH uair away. But you're right; Fox can approach from different angles and make it difficult for Falco to create space. The issue here is that we're theorizing under the assumption that this Falco sees space as a necessity. If you've played Shiz/Mango you know what I mean. With cc shine, shine oos, and properly placed lasers to steal any burgeoning momentum, Fox is now the one that needs to maintain that favourable spacing.

IMO, the Yoshis match-up goes like this:

1.Fox struggles to run offense
2.Fox realizes he has less priority and a LOT TO LOSE if he gets shined / knocked off the stage / pressured into shield
3.Fox tries to regroup by retreating.
4.Oh wait, it's Yoshi's.

I love FD vs. Falco. DL64 and FD are both good choices, but FD is better if you're consistent with fastfaller combos. DL64 is more manageable for me because of the space, the ability to CG on the bottom of the stage, and the platforms. If I feel I can overtake my opponent and pitbull them on techchasing and techskill alone its FD all day. Oh, and if I win the first match against Falco I don't ban FD.

edit: On a completely unrelated note, I really enjoyed watching your mm vs. Tope. Good stuff.

In this one set Vs. FullMetal...I find myself compelled to ask why you didn't ban FD. You could have skipped the middleman and 3 stocked him again. But I won't beat you up about it; from what I hear the whole place was bringin' ya down during the set. : (

ummm... maybe i'm doing it wrong but as fox against falco i usually knock him down once and he techs for the rest of his stock.
Don't worry Sveet its not your fault. Play better Falcos. ;)

Nah I'm trollin

On the real, against really good Falcos you have to do that every stock. It becomes a real challenge, because mid combo you're like "man I can't **** this up"...you know you're dreading the moment Falco regains his composure. Then he hits you once and evens the damage AND carries your *** into an edge-guard.

Hmm yoshi's is actually my go to counter-pick against falco. Then again this might be influenced by the fact that the best falco I play against regularly is mega campy. I just find that it's a lot easier to corner him there than on any other stage but FD.
I co-sign this formula.

Campy = Yoshis / FoD to shut down his defensive bubble
Aggro = DL64 / FD to dictate the pace of the match and wear him out.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Hey Lovage, do you have any good tips vs. the Ice Climbers on FD? anything brief will do.

I have to trust Socal ppl on this one cuz... well... that Fly guy... yeah. LOL
my advice is to be mindful to mix up your approaches

full hop bair = low chance of getting grabbed, low reward

full hop nair approach = higher chance of getting grabbed, slightly better reward (anything that leads to shine will put u in a great position cuz of how far they slide)

running shine = low chance of getting grabbed, high chance of getting stuffed by fsmash/dsmash/sh fair, good reward (especially near edge)

SH drill = super high chance of getting grabbed, great reward, only use if you're confident in your tech skill at that moment lol

grab = super high risk super high reward, hope you grab the right one and hope nana doesn't fsmash you

oh ya and never recover with illusion (ledgehop illusion is fine if you trick them to get closer to the ledge, this works against all slow characters btw samus peach doc etc)

sweetspot firefox from above whenever it's safe, if not go high and be tricky with your fast fall and air control

edgeguard them like falcon, you can go out and shine if ur ballsy but 50 ledgehop bairs will also do the trick (you can ledgehop uair at like 95 when they go over you, just make sure the uair connects cleanly or they'll make it back safe)

and ummmm

space :D

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'll add a bit:

-SH bair, shine, dair->shine them out of predictable WD approaches. Don't let ICs slide towards you for free.

-Fsmash predictable ledgedashes, they are not 100% invincible. All IC players spam it to hell.

-Don't grab unless you've separated them. Bthrow shine Nana if Popo isn't around. Uthrow uair Popo if nana isn't around. If you aren't close enough to an edge for bthrow shine then just bully Nana with shine and try to intercept Popo when he comes to the rescue. You'd be surprised at how much free damage you can get by just keeping them away from each other.

-Don't stop moving and poking with shines.

-Like Lovage mentioned, FH Bair is your friend.

-Do NOT be predictable with your jump and bair and dair in the same way. They can CC those bairs and avoid the dairs for grabs/dsmashes. Everytime you bait something you get a free drill and shine. I'm of the opinion that you should rarely attack them head on. Keep it varied.

-Lasers aren't as useful. Stick to baiting with your jump and running away on platforms. With their limited air mobility/speed and long conspicuous WD, they'll be hard-pressed to keep up with you without making a scene. Especially if they jump; man, they hang in the air for sooo long. Just drop through platforms for an easy hit and lather, rinse, repeat.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@Raynex: are you sure they're not invincible at least for the duration of the unactionable frames of the ledgedash?

I feel like if you're frame perfect enough, you can waveland -> shield with complete invulnerability.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
@Raynex

Yeah, I can't say I've played shiz/mango before so I can definitely see how that might change my perspective... maybe one day :)

Thanks about tope, though I felt it unfortunate that the bracket match wasn't recorded... it was combo vid footage :laugh: Also, I do stupid things in tournament for no logical reason. Versus Cyrain when I played falco I didn't ban DL64... not sure why, because its easily falco's worst stage in the matchup... but I didn't. Versus fullmetal I was confident/nervous simultaneously; I'd never lost to him, so I wasn't worried about FD really but I wasn't thinking straight enough because of my nerves to really correct my bad thought process. I'm still learning how to play in tournament more successfully, so hopefully more and more of my matches will start looking like that first one ^_^

And yeah... maybe I was just imagining it, but I swear the only people cheering were all for fullmetal's hype >__________<

@Chival

ICs waveland should be equivalent more or less frame-wise to fox's? I know fox's gives you full invincibility, but I wasn't sure about ICs.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
@Raynex: are you sure they're not invincible at least for the duration of the unactionable frames of the ledgedash?

I feel like if you're frame perfect enough, you can waveland -> shield with complete invulnerability.
At Apex I had the opportunity to play more IC players that I ever had before. You, Wobbles, Trail, Kyu Puff, etc. I started fsmashing the ledgedashes as an answer to them, and it always worked.

I called KK a few minutes ago to set up a smashfest, and asked him if it was 100% invincible, and he said he'd ask Fly Amanita about it. It's probably true that ICs can ledgedash and shield before you hit them, but their invincibility does not last long enough to cover moves. It could be that all the ICs I faced either tried to grab, dsmash, jab, or aerial and got hit.

EDIT: IC have 11 frames of invincibility. That's more than Sheik. WHAT THE ****

@Raynex

Yeah, I can't say I've played shiz/mango before so I can definitely see how that might change my perspective... maybe one day :)

Thanks about tope, though I felt it unfortunate that the bracket match wasn't recorded... it was combo vid footage :laugh: Also, I do stupid things in tournament for no logical reason. Versus Cyrain when I played falco I didn't ban DL64... not sure why, because its easily falco's worst stage in the matchup... but I didn't. Versus fullmetal I was confident/nervous simultaneously; I'd never lost to him, so I wasn't worried about FD really but I wasn't thinking straight enough because of my nerves to really correct my bad thought process. I'm still learning how to play in tournament more successfully, so hopefully more and more of my matches will start looking like that first one ^_^

And yeah... maybe I was just imagining it, but I swear the only people cheering were all for fullmetal's hype >__________<

@Chival

ICs waveland should be equivalent more or less frame-wise to fox's? I know fox's gives you full invincibility, but I wasn't sure about ICs.
No matter how confident or nervous you feel, never leave the competitive mindset. Regardless of your disposition that day you have to understand that you paid money, you are in a bracket, this is serious. Treat every match like its grand finals and you'll notice both more consistency and improvement in your gameplay as you progress.

Don't be a Mango and remove the importance from matches that aren't SFs and GFs. Each bracket match is a stepping stone to something greater, despite how easy the next fight may be for you.

Super

Smash Apprentice
This question has probably been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer to so I'll have to ask.

What are some effective ways to deal with Falco's ledgehop double laser??

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Trail was at APEX?!
Pretty sure is was him. I remember him beating Jman in pools. Or was that Fly? My memory is bad.

Thanks for the frame daaata

stand next to the edge, shield, shine OoS before falco hits the ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJAFf1VnTtI#t=3m52s
You can actually just take the lasers and CC shine. But either way is good. I'd rather just spam down B instead of having to deal with a SH and slight blockstun.

You can also dash attack it into shine or dsmash depending on percent.

Fsmash trades if you time it correctly.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
shield->shine is pretty safe no matter what ledge option they choose

but yeah, it may have been trail. It just surprised me cause like he doesnt even make it to anything local out here.

that threads about chain throws, not uthrow uair lol.

it depends who youre fighting. most ppl you would use uthrow uair to kill with it works up to like 120

also, what do you guys think about fthrow on ICs when theyre together? it seems like you always throw one into the other and it has pretty good knock-back. idk tho, i am only playing cpus >_>;

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Grabbing is so risky. If you're that close you might as well shine, right? 1 frame, creates distance, no risk.

I'm of the opinion that there are only two good times to grab:

-When they are separated
-When you KNOW you can get Popo and are at low enough percent that Nana can't kill you.

Every other time you're taking a huge risk imo.

Fthrow is good to use at the edge though, I agree.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I dont have much IC experience but something I do sometimes is tomahawk shines...if I am above them or approacing and IC are shielding I won't do a nair or dair sometimes and justempty short hop and do a shine. It seems safer to me, even though if they caught on they could easily punish..

Lovage

Smash Hero
also, what do you guys think about fthrow on ICs when theyre together? it seems like you always throw one into the other and it has pretty good knock-back. idk tho, i am only playing cpus >_>;
yeah ive been thinking about that too

have you tried dthrow? i wanna test it next time i see fly

unknown522

Some guy
@unknown and raynex

So you don't think a fox that kept falco cornered on yoshi's has the advantage? I understand the combos are ridiculous, but falco has next to no room to breathe when fox approaches from the right angles. Of course falco can catch fox out of the approaches, but its really hard to maneuver at all.

And FD is bad for fox? Hmm these are ideas that are pretty different from mine... any further justification on either of these would be nice.
I made an edit to elaborate why, but my internet had ****ed up and I haven't been able to get online until now.

I will elaborate in a bit.

leffen

Smash Champion
yoshis is falcos best stage by far imho. The platforms are perfect for falco. With everything from guaranteed techchases with utilt to falcos bair ****** fox platform camping. Fox cant keep stage control nearly as good as on the other stages cause the platforms are so awesome for falco.
Falco has a million **** ledge options and his by far best one (wavedash onto the stage, that **** has over 10 invincibility frames ) pierces right through fox control. You get past that part where fox can use a million bair mixups by dropping from the 2 platforms and utilt and his other moves stuffs this way better than on the other stages.

Recovering is also way easier cause of randall , walljumps and shyguys. Cant really see whats so great about low ceilings for fox either, it helps falco just as much ( upb kills ftw )

unknown522

Some guy

d-throw is only good as falco. It's bad, trust me.

edit - @ druggedfox: Vs falco on Yoshi's, with the stage being smaller, falco has to put in minimal effort to pin down fox. On top of that, because of the height of the platforms, falco can cut off fox's frontal approaches while being able to u-tilt through the lower platforms if fox tries to approach from above. The slopes on top of that, make it even harder to get around the lasers.

Falco's combos there are still as good as on most other levels, but now it's easier to land hits on fox due to limited space, and several anti-air/anti-pressure tools. (I mean fox has shine oos and some monstrously gay ****, but it doesn't compare to falco). Even short combos get fox off the stage, and with falco's laser control, and d-air he can very often cover all of fox's options/force him to recover in certain ways where it's reasonably easy to cover all options. Since fox's combos have more horizontal send and knock down (thank you DI), it is way easier for fox to get combo-broken by edge-cancels off platforms, and just grabbing the edge in general (thank you CC and ASDI down), which results to no edgeguard. But falco can control whether you do that or not most of the time. He also has good vertical kill since he can do that shine -> firebird crap which means he can almost always finish combos on that stage (or turn it into an edgeguard. Take your pick).

With recovery on that stage, since the stage is small, falco doesn't get forced to go low much and with the faster illusion startup speed, that is way better than what fox can do in the matchup since fox's lasers can't control falco. In the end, he has more options, since half of them aren't taken away by lasers, and the free d-air spike.

FD: Fox just has a much more limited approach since there are not platforms. He gains a chaingrab, but falco gains auto death combos which can even be combo'd off his grab. If fox approaches from the front = get lasered. If he approaches from above = u-tilt. I mean fox can not approach and try to let falco approach him, but what do you do when he decides not to approach.......Fox also has insufficient range to gay falco and force him get out of his comfort zone (which is where speed and fakes come in, but there's no real pressure is what I'm trying to say).

*sigh*. There was more, but I can't remember some of it.

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
so ive been playing my friend in fox ditos, and when he recovers he firefoxes high and aims for the ledge. from there i usualy try to pc edge hog or foward tilt downwards. but what should i do if he goes straight and not to the edge, is there an option for both ways he recovers?

it doesnt seem like it would be too effective. i was thinkin bout that too
Grabbing is so risky. If you're that close you might as well shine, right? 1 frame, creates distance, no risk.

I'm of the opinion that there are only two good times to grab:

-When they are separated
-When you KNOW you can get Popo and are at low enough percent that Nana can't kill you.

Every other time you're taking a huge risk imo.

Fthrow is good to use at the edge though, I agree.
i agree, but i think if you knew when to use grab it could be good when theyre together. they dont really expect grabs, and as soon as the nana gets grabbed theyll try to punish so you can prob thro nana at them, and it sends them pretty far, even at low %s. idk tho, might just be safer to shine or do somethin else.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LMFAO @ Silent SWAG

dopest username ever

anyway, SILENT SWAG, i think the best way to edgeguard a firefox that isn't coming from below, and that you can't just shine (like if it's right next to the stage and the hitbox hasn't come out yet) is just get on the ledge and bair. like, you can often do a low bair to hit the ledge, then you might have time to react if they go high. obviously a little reading is required tho

otto you done ****ed up with your name. you got outclassed hard.... LOLOL

Lovage

Smash Hero
Edge hop nair is under rated and/or majorly unused.
eh unless u do it super late it's gonna be weak and CCable up to like 70 lol

and if you do it super late its a lot easier to dodge, thats why dairs better since it hits earlier (and has big followups)

Top Bottom