• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Like someone else said, I use the firrebird edgegrab when im too close to the edge to get a dash cancel shine out. otherwise, i DC waveshine.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I like it mostly for the fact I'm able to turnaround DJ bair if they decide to like Illusion/Phantasm up high or something.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
C-stick is useful when you try to space and helps you at timing your attacks.

For instance, you could do an ADA in the beginning of a jump with the c-stick, and then fastfall with the white stick ASAP.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Can someone answer this for me? Everyone knows the regular shine turnaround firefox edgehog. I have the habit of running then jumping off then STA FF so I dont get the fall animation and instead completely clear the ledge. I dont get punished for it nor can I put my finger on its viabilty. Would be better to run off and do it normally, or side b into the ledge? Side b seems kinda meh though tbh.

@ ryucloud: It depends on how you want to space/ personal preference. Its not hard to run forward and bair with A but you definitely do aerials faster with A. Its only a time difference of a few ms, but the timing of the aerial itself should be correct not what button you press.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
oh. better to run off and do it normally. you lose momentum from a running jump compared to running.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
laser shine hogs are hard for me because I don't have the aerial control when lasering. I just suck *** at edge canceling anything that isn't a straight up jump and then fading, auto ledge cancels, or fully forward ones.

do u know if u can invisible ledge jc shine?

:phone:

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I do the jump off 'STA FF' edgehog as a little mindgame if I've just like nair chained them offstage or something similar. It seems to trick people because it looks kinda like you're jumping out there to hit them. Normally though its better to run off rather than jump off.

laser shine hogs are hard for me because I don't have the aerial control when lasering. I just suck *** at edge canceling anything that isn't a straight up jump and then fading, auto ledge cancels, or fully forward ones.

do u know if u can invisible ledge jc shine?

laser shine hogs have nothing to do with aerial control, or dont have to at least. Just make sure you dont alter your jump speed and it will be all about your short hop spacing and your shine timing and jump timing. theres no edge canceling involved either lol. dont get me wrong tho, its still a tough trick to pull off consistently.

if you mean shine hog with an invisible, no you cant. you can however shine hog with a pseudo invisible shine, like i did the second time in that one clip where i do them in active artworkon yoshis. its prob easier with falco tho

Why don't people use shinegrabs + waveshine oos, its not even hard ;o (yes I can consistently pull em off in real matches)
because people dubbed it as "too hard" a long time ago and not enough people have started doing it to convince most people otherwise.

its true that neither one is very difficult, but being able to do waveshine oos with fox consistently is definitely difficult, whether you can do it or not. in my opinion, to be able to do something means to be able to do it with consistency, otherwise you cant do it very well.

leffen

Smash Champion
I did waveshine oos/doubleshine/w/e over 90% correctly during the hour or so I messed around with fox in friendlies (this was before I decided to main him, I'm gonna practice to get it much more consistently now). Maybe its just me, I mean on paper its a 1 frame timing but it really doesnt feel that hard.

People should just learn to not take friendlies seriously and actually improve their game ;o For example, basically every technical player knows how to shield drop and can do it while focusing on it, but there is a few number (lovage/fuzzyness is the ones i've seen) that actually can use it in tournament matches, and even then you see how they kinda limit themselves and dont mixup at all when they shielddrop because they havent explored all of it yet.

I sadly believe that I'm probably the only one who uses shield dropping against shieldpressure etc to a decent level (probably because I play Yoshi, which really needs it/***** with it).

Quit being lazy guys :(

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Why don't people use shinegrabs
Yea. I know right.

Foxes mobility differs from falcos. Falco players tend to shine grab more then fox players because its easier and it doesn't require that much reflexes.

For instance, If you start off your shield pressure with a nair>shine>nair>shine then try to grab after, their may be a chance you would miss it.

It takes practice though. I'l research it a little more. Ha ha

JPOBS

Smash Hero
..i'm very aware of this

i worded the plat thing wrong i guess, i just meant shining onto the platform from below -> grab
Just continue to hold down after the waveland. The trick to shining on platforms is to be holding down pre-shine, so once you waveland to the plat, just continue to hold down and shinegrab normally.

you probably already knew that. meh.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
that's the thing though, there is no waveland during the motion. it's simply shinegrabbing as you land through the plat.

unless you mean, waveland -> shine -> grab

which might be a little slow :c i dunno

JPOBS

Smash Hero
oooohhhh you mean that thing. yea i never do that so idk.

I was thinking about the stuff falco's do like your opponent is sheilding on the plat, so you jump shine (under the plat)-> waveland->shine grab.

but i see what you're saying. i have no idea how to do that trick

leffen

Smash Champion
Not any recent no, I decided to main him like 3 days ago xD I've been doing better with my fox than my falco anyway in seriouslies/w/e and I guess its because I have more motivation.
I don't feel like I'm going to evolve the falco metagame that much so it got a little boring.

I do however, currently suck in the spacies matchups with fox unless I get hella warmed up and/or have reads on the player himself. So I'm gonna use Yoshi for spacies since they are so much fun to face and the matchup is honestly pretty even though I dont know what I'm gonna do in NTSC since fox ***** and Yoshi sucks there :/

@Shineland-> grab isnt that good, when you hit someone with shinelands it takes 5+ frames before you land or smth lol.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
@Shineland-> grab isnt that good, when you hit someone with shinelands it takes 5+ frames before you land or smth lol.
shouldn't you be touching the ground when you're shining on the platform though? if you shine at the right time through the plat, youre grounded

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone thinks shine-grabbing is hard (i think its definitely useful for fox), but its strictly worse than falcos, so there isn't really any point in comparing usage between the two

Top Bottom