• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Framerate Data

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
Fox Frame Rate Data
(From the first frame of the animation to the last.)

Hey all. Here is a compilation of Fox's framerate data; everything from specials, to aerials, to taunts. Hopefully some useful research can come from this. Cheers.

Disclaimer: This data may not be completely exact. Any errors found in the data can be reported here. I'm estimating a margin of error of +/- 1 frame.

Specials

Blaster (B)
15 frames
Note that this is one shot from the Blaster.

Reflector (down + B)
6 frames

Firefox (up + B)
26 frames

Illusion (side + B)
15 frames

Aerials
(Note that all aerials are done on a single full jump. Each aerial's frame data is measured from the time the attack starts in the air and ends when Fox lands and completely recovers.)

Up air (Up + A in air)
13 frames

Down air (Down + A in air)
9 frames

Back air (Back + A in air)
12 frames

Forward air (Forward + A in air)
12 frames

Neutral air (A in air)
10 frames

Tilts

Down tilt (C-Stick down)
12 frames

Forward tilt (C-Stick forward)
13 frames

Back tilt (C-Stick back)
13 frames

Throws

Up throw (Grab + up)
9 frames

Down throw (Grab + down)
14 frames

Forward throw (Grab + forward)
10 frames

Back throw (Grab + back)
10 frames

Taunts

Up taunt (D-pad up)
24 frames

Down taunt (D-pad down)
20 frames

Forward/Back taunt (D-pad forward/back)
20 frames

Others

Jab (A)
5 frames

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
No data for his smash attacks yet?

Also, I'm very surprised that fox's jab takes 5 frames. Lucas's apparently starts hitting at frame 1! Unless the lads at the Lucas boards stuffed up somewhat.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Umm... are Fox's back air and forward air seriously the same length?? His forward air is a series of five kicks, whereas his back is only one... something's wrong here...

Superstar

Smash Champion
No data for his smash attacks yet?

Also, I'm very surprised that fox's jab takes 5 frames. Lucas's apparently starts hitting at frame 1! Unless the lads at the Lucas boards stuffed up somewhat.
Well, its 5 frames [if he is correct] from the beginning when he starts to when it pull it back. I doubt Lucas' only takes one frame to finish.

And Eldiran, each kick of the fair is quick, the Bair has ending lag. Although, how was this data attained?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Not to try and be a downer, but I doubt this data is completely accurate. How is Fox's taunt 1/3 of a second?

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
This data is not when the attack hits; just when the animation ends. For example, Fox's jab may take 5 frames, but it may do damage on frame, say, 2 or 3.

Yeah, it's probably not THAT accurate, but I'm doing more testing. I may have done some typos, as well.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Yeah, and I'm telling you that you're doing something wrong, because Firefox does NOT take 1/2 of a second to complete the entire animation.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
The aerials all need to be completely redone, with two measurements for each aerial. One for how long they take to execute in the air until their completion. The other for how long the landing lag is if you land in the middle of the animation. Not saying this isn't useful, but that info would be a lot more useful to know.

Btw, when you say "back tilt," you meant "up tilt," right?

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
This is done by recording Fox's moves, then simply counting frames using WMM.

Thanks for the tips and fixes, this was slightly rushed. Improvements will come.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Do you know the frame rate of the video? Its most likely 30 frames per second on your video, the game runs at 60 frames per second. You have to do a conversion...

(60/x) * n

x is the framerate, n is the number of frames you counted.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Do you know the frame rate of the video? Its most likely 30 frames per second on your video, the game runs at 60 frames per second. You have to do a conversion...

(60/x) * n

x is the framerate, n is the number of frames you counted.
Except for the part where it's being recorded at 1/4 speed, so it's actually 15 fps, meaning the video gets 2 frames for every 1 frame of action ingame.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Ahh, then its:

(15/x) * n

And it would be 2 frames for every one action if it were 30 FPS, but it can't be, because that would make it faster than what he recorded, each one being half of what he took, so I doubt the video is 30FPS or the game was set to 1/4 [maybe slow Brawl, which I THINK might be 1/2...].

Juker

Smash Apprentice
I would be more curious to find out the frames it takes to start a move, and the recovery of the moves - ie the useful stuff. If you could get these, that'd be great. Frames it takes to start a move meaning, how many frames it takes from the start of a move until the move hits, and recovery being how long Fox takes to get back to ready after a move ends. I have a feeling his jab hits before his shine. I'd guess his jab takes 1-2 frames to make contact, and his shine 2-3.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
This is amazing Samuman! It's great to see someone putting the effort into figuring this out. If you need any help, I can also record video and would be down to do some testing for you! I just never knew how to do this before :)

Let me know! (And good work!)

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Ahh, then its:

(15/x) * n

And it would be 2 frames for every one action if it were 30 FPS, but it can't be, because that would make it faster than what he recorded, each one being half of what he took, so I doubt the video is 30FPS or the game was set to 1/4 [maybe slow Brawl, which I THINK might be 1/2...].
*facepalm*

You can put the game at 1/4 speed in training mode, causing it to be played at 15 fps. Then when you record it with a camera at 30 fps, there are two frames of recorded footage for every ingame frame, so you can use that to count the number of frames. WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

Superstar

Smash Champion
No, I understand it Leaf, problem is that if the video is 30 frames per second and the game is played at 15 fps, then once you do the conversion the values on the first post will be smaller, instead of firefox being 28 [SWF is too blech to load first post, so I'm using memory], it'd be 14 frames, which is an even worse approximation.

So either his counting sucked by a long side, or he didn't use the 1/4 speed [15 FPS]. Or that is some real bad quality video. He might have used Slow Brawl or Normal Brawl to record it [I think Slow Brawl is 1/2, the special Brawl I mean].

You don't have to be condescending, I'm not [I hope] stupid.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
The problem is not that he had a problem figuring out what the frame rate conversion was, but the fact that the frames are just so god awfully WRONG.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yeah, we really need actual HITBOX frames...

And yeah, I didn't realise that this was how long it took for the animation to finish.

Still, Lucas's jab hits on the first frame. I wouldn't expect Fox's to be ANY slower. Making jab attacks the new shine.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Cake, maybe its both. If the game was left in normal speed and the video was 15FPS, then Firefox would be about 2 seconds in length if he counted it the same way, which is a bit closer [I get a 3 second vibe on it, but I'm using my memory]. So probably its a combo of both. Samu just counted the frames without taking the conversion into account.

Still, the jab was closer to a realistic length, so still. Counting frames is some work I believe.

Magus420

Smash Master
Eww at WMM.

Just record in normal game speed with VirtualDub or something. You will have a 640x480 interlaced video at 29.97fps, with each interlaced frame containing 2 "in-game frames" (one in each field). If you separate those fields of each interlaced frame to 2 separate frames (I use an AviSynth script) you will then have a 640x240 progressive video at 59.94fps that you can resize (if you want, otherwise it will look stretched horizontally) to 320x240p @ 59.94, and containing every in-game frame at the correct speed. THIS is what you want to do.

It's not only 100% exact, but is very efficient. You could probably record a clip of a move, drag the script into vdub, and count the frames all in well under a minute.

If you come up with Fox's f-tilt attacking on frame 6 you are doing something right, because I can tell you with 100% certainty that is correct as I used that move for my video disproving super armor on grabs.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
SA is on grabs dude. Just not on like the last few frames. I have attacked people when they were trying to grab me and sometimes they eat the attack and grab me other times I hit them out of it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm just telling you what I experienced bro.

I'm not saying you are wrong.

Edit: I read your thread. And it makes sense. Just a way for people to get in damage even if a grab beats them.

Top Bottom