• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Foxy Video Library/Critique

M@v

Subarashii!
Also I looked at the matches again. I actually do cancel some of my fairs. Just not all of them.

zero212

Smash Apprentice
hmm have you ever tried to autocancel a fair into someone that shields? i think it's usefull for getting behind someone and then follow up with a utilt once you're behind them. i think this tactic is the most usefull against bigger opponents so you can eat their shield away while getting behind them. on smaller characters i only use it to throw them off. if this doesn't work in your opinion let me know but i haven't punished by this unless i screwed something up myself.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
WOW M@v bro...you were wayyyyyy off your game. Your reaction time was horrible that match :(

Few things...

there were a few instances vs falco where he had overextended in his positioning and you could of side b away to safely get on stage.

Be careful going low vs falco cuz he can actually just bair your fair jumping REALLY easily. You should use more shine stall tactics offstage vs falco to mix it up. I learned that the hard way =/

Camp more in the beginning. Free dmg is free dmg. And this way you get more than if u just let yourself get cg.

Work on your movement. Like idk how to explain it. You just didn't seem to flow well this set.

WORK ON AC AERIALS D:< :laugh:

Work on being able to laser mk :p

For nado try nair once u pop out or shine to jump or AD or a move depending on where the nado is in correlation to your position.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
Me vs Xzax in Chibo's experimental ruleset side tourney. Rules were 2 stock, 5 minute matches. Everything else was usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM8KX0Wnd5o&feature=channel_video_title

I was playing really off, especially in the first 2 matches. Missing all sorts of inputs that cost me gimmie punishes :3

Also I need to stop trying to punish missed tornados with down airs everytime.
I have a question, you know when falco chain grabs you to an off stage spike. How to do a rising fair from his spike?

knuckles213

Smash Ace
@knuckles213
You just have to just rising Fair jump, nothing special. Although if you just meteor cancel with a regular jump you should be able to make it to the ledge.
Really though, you should SDI the spike to land on stage. Here is a video that shows you how to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPdVrVrl7gg&feature=channel_video_title
Don't forget to tech when you land on stage!
thanks, also how do move your shield foward or down when you block (where you have control of which direction you can move your shield to block dtilts or nasty front attacks with having your character roll)?

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
@knuckles213
You move your shield by holding the shield button and moving the control stick in the direction you want your shield to go. The problem is if you go to far with the control stick, you will either roll, spotdodge, or jump if you have tap jump on. You have to learn to move the control stick so that you don't do any of those things.
Also, if you are already holding the control stick in the direction you want your shield to go and you hold the shield button (i.e. you are walking forward and you press shield) your shield will come out in that direction.

Kuares

Pizza
vs Olimar. I don't think I've actually used Fox in tournament, so don't expect much.
Yeah, your Fox is terrible. Of course your opponent was pretty bad too so he didn't take advantage of your bad habits(too many dash attacks and rollings). All your kills were random hits, which I saw also in your other friendlies as Peach.

Work on using your aerials for approaching and learn to auto-cancel them. I only saw you frame trap once and those are important.

Kuares

Pizza
That's in the Q&A.

All of them autocancel. Only Fair, Uair and Bair can be done from shorthops(which is why they're good for frame trapping). Dair/Nair you just need to be in the air slightly longer than a shorthop(fullhop/down incline) but there's no reason to Autocancel Nair because it's got little lag.

crifer

Smash Lord
I think it´s a huge misconcept that nair is somehow safe on block...
nair´s ending lag is 9 frames... dair is 12 frames. and it´s commonly known that dair is like reallys easy to punish if it´s shielded. 3 frames is not that much difference between this moves.

Chuee

Smash Hero
nair´s ending lag is 9 frames... dair is 12 frames. and it´s commonly known that dair is like reallys easy to punish if it´s shielded. 3 frames is not that much difference between this moves.
It takes 7 frames to drop shield.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
When you nair behind someones shield it can be somewhat difficult to punish if your not marth/mk Even with 9 frames.

Really? Why did i read somewhere it was only 4? hate being misinformed.

Kuares

Pizza
Well your technique is pretty sound but you did alot of stupid things.

First match on Battlefield you got 2 kills by a run upsmash. I saw you were going for your 3rd and that's not going to work. In fact, pretty much all of your kills were upsmash(1 was an uptilt). Learn to use other moves to kill.

Let's look at how you died:
-Miss spaced your fair during Wario's fart time.
-You got killed by an ftilt from the ledge
-You got knocked off and should've been killed by that U-air, but you stayed in shield to long.
-You tried to shine Wario when didn't have your second jump forcing an Up-B. Got punished
-You got Upair'd randomly.
-You momentum canceled and were in range. Punished

What could you've done that may've let you live longer:
-Retreating fair or go for a shield grab.
-Shine stall for a bit or ledge drop, jump away and illusion onstage during cooldown
-You should've died there, but after he missed you could've DI'd the Ftilt better and lived.
-Get back onto the stage and just left the situation as is. At the point where you were Up-Bing, you should've gone for the less obvious option of the SV platform.
-Run away better during their invincibility.
-Learn to not momentum cancel when you don't need to.

Why are you trying to grab release Wario?

does anybody here know the code for "tag names in replays"?
Tags in replays
0404B140 38A00000

crifer

Smash Lord
First, thx. I know I did some really silly things (especially the last kill in that set was soooo bad -.-).

to point 1: didn´t know that wario could do that lol.
point 2: learned something, I though I could hit him with rising fair.
point 3: Yeah, I need to jump sooner, I always wait in my shield waiting for a mistake of my opponent
point 3: I wanted to risk that... It could have gimped him
point 4 & 5: yeah :-(

If he makes a jump input while being grabbed he will be air released which gives me a free usmash, fair or (really awesome) dair to grab (and maybe air release again)... but he didn´t :D

thx again :-) there were some obvious mistakes that you mentioned that I realized before but it´s good to hear another opinion :-)

oh yeah and I tried sometimes bair for killing but only the weak spot hit him... I really like to just run through the opponent waiting for an air dodge, backroll or something and usmash them :-)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
i can say this. U need to stay grounded vs wario more. Dair, jab, and grab are amazing. If he bikes towards the stage it's a free upair cuz he can't act as soon as he jumps off the bike. i've netted so many kills that way lol. Fair is only good when he's jumping around i don't suggest using SH fair much. Nair and dash attack are really good in this mu as well.Try to cover his landings better.

Kuares

Pizza
i can say this. U need to stay grounded vs wario more. Dair, jab, and grab are amazing.

If he bikes towards the stage it's a free upair cuz he can't act as soon as he jumps off the bike. i've netted so many kills that way lol.

Fair is only good when he's jumping around i don't suggest using SH fair much.

Nair and dash attack are really good in this mu as well. Try to cover his landings better
1. I wouldn't say stay grounded as much of a sense as stay mobile. If you stop moving at all then they're going to go for a bite qnd you know how well that works vs Fox.

2. If the Wario knows his stuff, he'll bikes far enough from the stage to recover high or far enough from the stage to jump off before you hit them.

3. But they're always jumping around >.>

4. I only Dash attack or Nair when they're spamming their spot dodge. If you're talking about SHAD'ing then I agree that Dash attack is good there.

crifer

Smash Lord
I think nair is really great against wario... I often hit (S!C) with it before his hitboxes came out and it counters his pressure game with nair really good.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
1. I wouldn't say stay grounded as much of a sense as stay mobile. If you stop moving at all then they're going to go for a bite qnd you know how well that works vs Fox.
You don't WANT to be jumping around HIGH. Sh and on the ground. Thus me saying grounded. You should be mobile ON THE GROUNDBite only works if your being afraid in your shield when hes coming down on u. It has horrible horizontal range. Just walk a bit in any direction away from it/him. And it's a free upsmash afterwards. Or fsmash.
2. If the Wario knows his stuff, he'll bikes far enough from the stage to recover high or far enough from the stage to jump off before you hit them.
Yea this is like any mu though. They SHOULD be biking away from the stage when recovering BUT IF THEY DON'T it's good to know WHAT YOU CAN DO. You shouldn't just dismiss anything.
3. But they're always jumping around >.>
Uh he used it on grounded wario several times. And like theres three distances of jumping around. Short(hop), Mid(first level of bf/smashville platform, and high(third level of BF/top brinstar platform). Fair is best used when they are at mid and sometimes high. Nair is better at short. and safer.
4. I only Dash attack or Nair when they're spamming their spot dodge. If you're talking about SHAD'ing then I agree that Dash attack is good there.
I am. It beats airdodge quite well just like nair. And it hurts SD spam. It covers their landings nicely sometimes as well. Just be careful not to get read and get farted on.
I think nair is really great against wario... I often hit (S!C) with it before his hitboxes came out and it counters his pressure game with nair really good.
Ya nair is amazing in this mu.

response in red.

knuckles213

Smash Ace

Kuares

Pizza
hey whats up everyone, I'm looking feedback since I just went to two tournys the past two days. I was able to get 3 replays in to put on here. (Sorry none of the matches I was is was recorded) :(

I was hoping someone on here could critique my fox.

ignore some of the rolling, I usually dont do that to often.
I think the main approach I saw you use was either Run In Shield, RI Upsmash, or Illusion(why?).

That movement with Fox was disjointed. either it was running in and shielding or jumping out of a stand still. You were shielding so much those matches out of dashes and that stops movement so much. Quit using shield and learn how to approach safely.

Then there's stuff you should already know about facing Falco. What were you thinking that second match? Camping a Falco when he's in the lead.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
I think the main approach I saw you use was either Run In Shield, RI Upsmash, or Illusion(why?).

That movement with Fox was disjointed. either it was running in and shielding or jumping out of a stand still. You were shielding so much those matches out of dashes and that stops movement so much. Quit using shield and learn how to approach safely.

Then there's stuff you should already know about facing Falco. What were you thinking that second match? Camping a Falco when he's in the lead.
1) Well I'm not use to fighting falcos or approaching them cause I only get few falcos that like to camp laser, chain grab and then illusion when I get to close. The guy I went against usually a hard camper so I have to always approach. and yeaaa.... that second match was crap.

2) As far as the Run in shield, I was trying to do that Skid Cancel that some fox users do when they run plus my shielding is a reflex after watching that Metagame Minute on Skid Canceling Shield Grab. I used the illusions to see if I could rack up damage, but the last one was on accident in the first match.

3) whats an RI upsmash? "Quit using shield and learn how to approach safely" how do you do so with falco?

crifer

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAp-...lated&playnext=1&list=SP656F920307F85E28&hd=1

It´s like ridiculous. This "C-Stick" (Who appearently is Gaia) plays so damn good and only places 2nd in the B Bracket (which is like an amateur bracket?) :O
I learned Dealing with lasers only by watching this:
Play on reaction! If he does a short hop in order to shdl, react if you see his sh with a sh on the platform, you can air dodge.

I´m pretty good at power shielding lasers but always moving is much better imo.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAp-...lated&playnext=1&list=SP656F920307F85E28&hd=1

It´s like ridiculous. This "C-Stick" (Who appearently is Gaia) plays so damn good and only places 2nd in the B Bracket (which is like an amateur bracket?) :O
I learned Dealing with lasers only by watching this:
Play on reaction! If he does a short hop in order to shdl, react if you see his sh with a sh on the platform, you can air dodge.

I´m pretty good at power shielding lasers but always moving is much better imo.
That is one way I can try, so falcos wont give me a hard time. Thanks

One thing I dont have control over the illusion to cancel it like C-stick did; is there a easy way to do it.

Top Bottom