• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gainesville Florida Smash and Heroes Of Newerth Chit-Chat

Linguini

Smash Master
max that pic is ****ing epic. a win like that is like only thing that would truly satisfy me in a brawl match LOL

Tomorrow's fest is looking live!

Special guests colin, rx, eli, and marsfool will all be there!

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Holy Smashfest, Batman. There were roughly... 20 people there. And they were all cool. Nice seeing old friends and good meeting new people! Thank you Jville and Otown (and Trikrome) for doin' it big and hanging out w/ us! Good playing you all and catch ya next time.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Mighty Mo is the biggest troll in Gainesville. I'm changing his avatar from that whack-*** flower to Lakitu; the biggest troll in Super Mario:

Look at that stupid thing just trollin'. It has on those ******** glasses that Mo likes to wear, lol.

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
Project M is a ****ton of fun, but it won't replace melee.

A fun side even maybe, but its not perfect.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
There's certainly potential for it to do so.

There will be more competitively viable characters and stages, and overall they are trying to make a good replica of melee. In which case it will be the brawl all of us were hoping for originally, and what we would have willingly jumped to from melee if Sakurai hadn't been an *******. Some people seem to have jumped from "Brawl is a terrible game" to "Melee is a perfect game" in the 3 or so years we've been a stratified community. The latter is false.

The demo already feels like Melee 2.0. Even with minor differences in landing detection/shield inputs, and other glitches still unbugged (tether wall grapples, others,) the overall play is absurdly similar to melee, with old top tiers having access to their ENTIRE old metagame. The new characters are ALL we were ever asking for, just new characters with new movesets and new combos. Even the old low tiers with new tricks provide potential for revamping their mostly unexplored metagame.

Try it. I'm incredibly pleased with the demo version. It's not exactly what I expected, because some things still look and feel strange, but it is exactly what I expected and hoped for brawl to be in its original release. I am super excited for the finished product.

Renth

Smash Hero
Mark, does that mean we're teaming?
I'll have to talk to john (plank) about it whenever I go to arlington with him sometime this week. Because I didn't register doubles, I only did for singles but if he will let me register doubles at the tournament or whenever I see him sometime this week then sure thing.

edit: @ dennis/thomas I will check it out at pound before I pass judgment on the idea of remaking a game to be another game.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
Cool post, Thomas. What's landing detection (is it...plastic legs?) and how is shield timing different from melee?

It would bring me great pleasure if my Hannah Montana wii housed Project M.
Do any brawlers have it, Max? I want to spitefully uncharge shot.

Gabe, Project M will look so good on your resume. You guys have legit credits of who did what, right?
Can you...add clouds to wavedashing?

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
In melee your character "landed" when their shins/knees touched the ground. In brawl there's a hovering specific point below your character which determines when they land, it's usually much closer to the feet. The affects things like Ganon not being able to make it to the lower platform on DL in one full hop, CF not being able to second jump waveland across YS plats, and other minor things like some characters landing earlier from aerials (it's more difficult to double SHfair with marth for instance.)

To be continued...

Shield timing is different in that there is still only brawl shields, but that now instead of activating on the click of the shoulder buttons, it activates on first depression. This includes air dodges (rather than click you must just press lightly.) This affects WD timing, since you no longer have to press all the way down to get a WD and can potentially lead to botched WDs. It also affects specifically shield WDs, I believe, since the timing is usually tighter, and also results in you not being able to shield WD with one button like you could in melee.

Like I said, it's basically what I hoped brawl to be in its initial release. There are some small changes, but that's to be expected with any new game; not the overwhelming mass changes of brawl originally. I can handle the small differences.

XoFF

Smash Journeyman
Do you think alot of the Brawl community will jump all over this game? People who were beast at melee already have a huge advantage because some characters still have the same muscle memory for combos (Fox) and this might scare them off. Debating on playing this game forealzies

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's true that people who played melee will have an advantage in terms of the learning curve, but it could be said that brawl players would have an advantage in terms of matchup knowledge (outside of combos of course, but as far as I'm concerned that's something you learn really quickly).

Of course, this should apply to melee low tiers as well, since they're now...good.

I doubt large sections of the brawl community will want to play it, because they still prefer brawl. It's my hope that most smashers IN GENERAL will just play project M in addition to whatever game they play. It'll probably be more natural for melee players because it's their engine, but we've gotten mostly positive reviews from all levels of melee and brawl players, so I encourage everyone to give the demo a fair chance.

Give yourself 6-10 matches to fully adjust and you'll probably end up having a lot of fun. Try characters you wouldn't normally even consider, since EVERYONE has new tricks up their sleeve (yes, even Fox and Falco. RAR's and B-reversals are kinda cool)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
<content redacted>

"Developers such as id Software, Valve Software, Bethesda Softworks, Firaxis, Crytek, The Creative Assembly and Epic Games provide extensive tools and documentation to assist mod makers, leveraging the potential success brought in by a popular mod like Counter-Strike."

"Another signature mod is Team Fortress, which was based of the Quake engine and became a whole series of games, such as Team Fortress Classic, Team Fortress 2, and an unofficial mod made originally as a fan made sequel to TFC, Fortress Forever."

That's right, Team Fortress was a mod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(computer_gaming)

Being a mod does not make it bad, being a bad game would make it bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom