• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gainesville Florida Smash and Heroes Of Newerth Chit-Chat

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
you already know in this game melee top tier characters will remain top tier where as brawl characters will be mid-low tier. I haven't played the game yet but by judging from vids this game seems to be created for ppl that are butt hurt that their chars. sucked/arent the same in traditional brawl. Falco is the same pillaring rigged ****, jiggs looks the same, fox the same, and snake looks pretty identical to melee sheik, tech chase and now his uptilt is basically her past f-tilt.

I'd be surprised if they could balance brawl characters into the final version but i doubt it.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Maybe we just don't like brawl? When brawl was announced a lot of people wanted melee with more characters and stages. Heck, when the E for All demo came about it basically WAS melee with more characters and stages (L-canceling was different and even more broken, but the engine was mostly the same).

So brawl came out and a lot of us didn't like it. Some played it anyway and didn't like it even after giving it a "fair chance." But now we're turning it into a game that we DO like (what we originally wanted from brawl in the first place) and you use this strawman argument to demonize us by labeling us with false motivations?

btw Snake is nothing like melee sheik...at all.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
even your post sounds salty about Brawl not being Melee
Because...I wanted brawl to be an expansion on melee obviously (a LOT of people did).

Plus the animation on Snake's uptilt was janky as **** (did you know that he actually sticks his leg out a reasonable distance, but does it so quickly nobody can see it consistently?)

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
lol. Project M is great. Fun to play. The changes made were to balance the game (and make more characters playable) and retain the melee engine and mechanics. Its goal is not set it stone nor do you know what the outcome will even be. This game is in the alpha phase. Give it time, it will get better.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I personally think it's pretty awesome right now, but I'm kinda biased.

Melee's still better for my melee main atm, but the new characters and stages are pretty awesome. It's not uncommon for me to sincerely want to play project M over melee for a while.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
I think it's pretty awesome right now, and I'm not biased. :)

(Why am I still subscribed to this thread. Good luck at Pound V Gainesville!)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I apologize for derailing the Gainesville social thread with all these project M rants. I just want people to try out the game because a lot of smashers I know enjoyed it (there are those who don't obviously).

And I'm so god damn tired of the "I didn't try it, but based on X I think it's doomed to fail" statements.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why is a mod flaming me? Gonna report that post, but I doubt anything will happen.
I got your back.

Regardless, I agree with you on the point of Project M being a bit of a mess in some ways. It takes a -lot- of time and intelligent manpower to be able to make things function in a balanced, efficient way, and being able to fix the codeset will end up having people feel okay with letting out what isn't "right" or balanced to have the public to test, rather than trying to make a community standard from the start.

Even many major developers fall into the problem of letting future patches make up for a shoddy launch when the option of patching is there. Look at Brawl+. Squirtle is broke **** in the most current version; I won a fairly large tournament despite never having played the game prior, because the people behind that version don't know what the hell they're doing as far as balance goes.

Not to say that top players don't know how the game works--It's just that people are predisposed to making the game work the way they feel it should. Those people have a vested interest in what happens in the end, and those people are those who will want to play and succeed. Different philosophies will clash, and it will be -very- difficult to manage even remotely well. It lends itself to trouble.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
I know it's a completely overused argument, but tripping in brawl is an eff you to any competitive community, there's really no reason to include it. Unless you think the fact that it works on all characters at the same % is balanced. I don't think I could argue with that, just scratch my head.

Magus is involved in the design, as well as getting feedback from the best of the best. Those designing are doing little more than just coding the changes, at least as far as I know...

to be continued tomorrow, out of

Purple

Hi guys!
There's a difference between accept and support.

Those are completely different things masky, you're saying something you can't control whatsoever is the same thing as something that you can control and has to be done perfectly. perfect stalling techniques are just that, perfect. They have to be done perfectly in order to work, and no one's perfect. Tripping will exist in brawl no matter what you do (yes, there are hacks, but since they aren't accepted technically there is nothing you can do at professional events), there is no "turn off tripping" button in brawl.

Isn't planking a perfect stall technique in brawl? correct me if i'm wrong.

Knowing me though i'm missing the point of this subject altogether, it just seems like you're taking things out of context to make your argument solid.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Because they changed the animation and made it look really bad when it totally wasn't even necessary, the original animation looks way better.
You may be the only person in the universe to think that this:

Looks more natural/better than this:

Fun fact: Snake is actually floating for about 10 frames of the VBrawl Utilt animation. Surely we'll never reach that level of polish in our work.

Linguini

Smash Master
I'd be willing to give Project M a chance, just like i'd give Coll of Duty(LOL Dennis) a chance, simply as a "fun" game. This isn't because I think it's a poorly designed game or because the characters look bad(although I really do hate the way brawl and project m look: very cartoonish and goofy characters), but because I have already found the game I want to play competitively and am completely satisfied with it.

I've been playing melee for more than 4 years and i'm not bored any bit; plus I don't have time to invest in other games anymore at this point in my life. That being said i'm so down to fvck around with it at the next fest/tournament if someone brings it and might even enter the side tournaments if one of the characters entertains me enough.

I hope to god the music was altered, because when I hear brawl music it induces an immediate gag reflex LOL.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I hope to god the music was altered, because when I hear brawl music it induces an immediate gag reflex LOL.
I thought I was the only person who liked Melee's soundtrack better than Brawl's.

To be fair, I love nostalgia and old video game tracks, but nothing beats that orchestrated magic.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
i know no one gives a **** but max wtf

project m is pretty fun albeit goofy atm (and i hope what i see of wario changes tho it doesn't look god awful)

max don't be mad because you play wario super lame (it's the truth bro)

darksonic give Jax that dev. copy of project m awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
On a Pound V note. If it is top 2/5 (or 2/4) advancing at pound, it will be pretty tough. Armada will be fun. Foxy is pretty good from what I have seen. The others are definitely beatable or don't have any vids.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
*L-Canceling comment*
So we have no idea what we're doing and have no chance of creating a proper game... Because we're following some of the design choices made in Melee? For the record, countless PMBR members have fully admitted that L canceling is "bad game design," due to it being a tech that there's no reason to not do, but we're also leaving it in because that's what our core audience wants.

I'm still trying to figure out how tournament-level players somehow know less about the game than the game developers. Unless they were intentionally sand-bagging, this is how "good" they are.

Also you sent me this via wall message, and I figured I'd give a full response here.
Masky said:
Yes, it is called an axe kick, also known as a hammer or stretch kick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXiUo2LgoO8#t=1m08s
This is the kick included in your video.

This is Snake's.

If you can't see the difference there, then I don't know what to tell you.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Colbol and Trikrome being in the same pool sucks.

Raistlin and Zoro too Q_Q

Florida's gonna wreck this **** though. Sorry I can't make it (gonna be watching the stream all day every day though, so try to stop by sometime).

Renth

Smash Hero
Recording Schedule

G-reg Vs. Renth - 2:15 PM
Lovage Vs. Plank - 2:35 PM
Ramen Vs. Alukard - 2:55 PM
Shroomed Vs. DJ Nintendo - 3:15 PM
Vist Vs. Kyupuff - 3:35 PM
Amsah Vs. Rohins - 3:55 PM
Overtriforce Vs. D. Disciple - 4:15 PM
Armada Vs. Blind Ghost - 4:35 PM

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
I saw! That's awesome. I like the matchups against all of the players I have in my pool.
Foxy: fox
Armada: peach
Moophobia: falcon/fox
Bl@ckChris: ganon

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I just searched him, found him. And I like that matchup, too. Anyone else really excited for pound?

No falco, no samus, no doc, no IC's. I love my pool. But it seems it will probably be changed, because those 3 guys are from NC. Meh.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm still trying to figure out how tournament-level players somehow know less about the game than the game developers. Unless they were intentionally sand-bagging, this is how "good" they are.
I agree that it's good to have the insight of top players to help balance and keep it close to the ideals of your core audience--There's really no arguing otherwise. However, design choices tend to work better when the basics are treated as (far and away) the main focus, as advanced techniques, optimal moves, and the like usually fall into place on their own through players becoming familiar with the game.

Developers usually have no idea what a competitive scene will turn into, and so they just try to make what feels right and balanced on a general level. That's part of the beauty behind metagame development--People don't really know what's going to happen until people experiment and make things that we wouldn't never imagined otherwise happen. That is also part of what makes a game fresh after time has passed. I just feel like Project M is developing its metagame before the game comes out, because people know what they want. I worry about how much that and inevitable patching will stifle metagame growth.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I worry about how much that and inevitable patching will stifle metagame growth.
We only plan on patching for game stability (no freezes or things like the soulstunner glitch, ect).

Balance patches won't be happening even if a character ends up too good or too bad (I honestly can't see this happening at this point though).

While it's true that in one sense we are kind of developing the metagame before the game is even out, it's still going to be interesting to see people apply our changes.

Your concerns are warrented, but many have high hopes for this game (myself included) and many are ecstatic to just to be able to explore the demo. With 39 characters (possibly 40) there's no way that we're going to be able to figure out the entire metagame during development, nor do we plan to. Imbalance WILL HAPPEN, we're just doing our best to give every character a wide array of tools to hopefully make fewer situations where you feel like "I can't do anything about X tactic."

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
i was looking at it more and I think snakes new up-tilt is fitting for the game. I'd miss its old brokenness but honestly snake probably needs a tilt that pops some1 up more than a move that is only a kill move with a long delay afterward for this type of game atleast. But yeah wario does look terrible rofl.

On another note tho, does any1 here know how to use matlab?

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Hey Emilio Linguini and Eli Trikrome, what do you think of my driving skillz? I picked up alot of my technique from mastering Need For Speed and Gran Turismo back in the playstation one days.

On a Pound V note, I wish you all good luck. Wish I could come along. I love to money match alot of players outside the region here, especially that "black" doctor from California.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Well theres this equation that I cant figure how to input it into matlab, ill type it out: (<= is greater than or equal to)

Read about the function plot3 given that 0<=t<=30, use this function to plot a circular helix with the following components:

X1(t)=cos(2t) X2(t)=2cos(5t)
Y1(t)=sin(2t) Y2(t)=5sin(5t)
Z1(t)=2t Z1(t)=5t

make sure you choose enough points to make the curve smooth.

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
Well theres this equation that I cant figure how to input it into matlab, ill type it out: (<= is greater than or equal to)

Read about the function plot3 given that 0<=t<=30, use this function to plot a circular helix with the following components:

X1(t)=cos(2t) X2(t)=2cos(5t)
Y1(t)=sin(2t) Y2(t)=5sin(5t)
Z1(t)=2t Z1(t)=5t

make sure you choose enough points to make the curve smooth.
Put the following into the command window (you can just copy and past the whole thing):

t=0:1/1000:30;
x1=cos(2*t);
x2=2*cos(5*t);
y1=sin(2*t);
y2=5*sin(5*t);
z1=2*t;
z2=5*t;

plot3(x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2)

There are a lot of other ways to do it. But that's the easiest. That will plot both of those functions on the same 3D graph.

Top Bottom