• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I don't think Brawl had a printed guide by Nintendo that had all the moves listed and named like that. Kind of another way how Melee had more depth, I guess you could say.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yeah, I don't think Brawl had a printed guide by Nintendo that had all the moves listed and named like that. Kind of another way how Melee had more depth, I guess you could say.
oh dont start that in here lol

And clearly ganons Utilt is actually called the murder balls

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
If they do nothing else right in this game, at least give Ganondorf his own moveset that makes an ounce of sense.
And preferably not be the singularly worst character in the game again.

Unless he has a sheath, it would be impossible for Ganondorf to grab items without ditching one of his blades. After all, Ganondorf can't make a bow out of his swords.
**** it, give him three swords! The lord of darkness needs no items! :awesome:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Give him two swords.
OH yeah! Wind Waker style! That would be pretty cool
How about just make him like i dunno... FAST! Really was there any reason to make this guy slow in the first place? I know he hold the Triforce of power but you could show his power in other ways than just making him a hard hitting big slow guy type, thats so over done!
I'd say give him the crazy magical powers he had in his old games - the teleporting, his homing fire bats, his big balls of dark light, etc.
For weapons let him switch between his trident, the twin swords from Wind Waker and the sword of sages for different attacks -
Smash Attacks: Trident
Tilt Attacks: Sword of Sages
Aerial Attacks: Twin Swords
Specials... I'll get back to you on that.

DarkMagicX2

The Worst Ganondorf Ever
NNID
DarkMagicX2
3DS FC
5386-7375-0560
I agree with the idea of if he is going to use a weapon at all, make it the trident. We have a few characters already that wave swords around. A trident would add some much needed diversity.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I agree with the idea of if he is going to use a weapon at all, make it the trident. We have a few characters already that wave swords around. A trident would add some much needed diversity.
Because, y'know, all characters who wield swords use them in the same way, right?

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
if ganon had a sword i feel like he would use it too much like ike. a trident would be a cool creative touch to ganon. i hope they do it. i just hate that in brawl he taunts and shows a sword but doesnt use it. also i think he does it in melee but they also have the new challenger approaching icon with a huge sword. i was so excited when i saw that. disappointed when he didnt have one.. give him a trident

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
So, he shouldn't get a sword because he might use it a lot. How about him using it some...Nobody said he had to just use the sword.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't want Ganondorf to use a sword. And it's not because of the typical "too many swords" bull.
It's because he doesn't really need it.
Using raw power backed by dark magic befits not only his status as wielder of the Triforce of Power, but also as the King of Evil.

That being said, he could be changed up a bit more to make him different from Falcon, while keeping his differenciated moves from Brawl (but tweak the playstyle to be more like Melee Ganondorf if not just better than Brawl Ganondorf, who is an embarassment).

I rather like the sword as a taunt. It pretty much says "Look, I have this nice sword, but I can kick your sorry *** without it." Like how Captain Falcon has his laser pistol, but he won't waste it's fire on you when he can just simply PAWNCH.
However, in order for it to have meaning, Ganondorf's got to be restored to his former glory. No more huff-and-puff slug man.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't want Ganondorf to use a sword. And it's not because of the typical "too many swords" bull.
It's because he doesn't really need it.
Using raw power backed by dark magic befits not only his status as wielder of the Triforce of Power, but also as the King of Evil.

That being said, he could be changed up a bit more to make him different from Falcon, while keeping his differenciated moves from Brawl (but tweak the playstyle to be more like Melee Ganondorf if not just better than Brawl Ganondorf, who is an embarassment).

I rather like the sword as a taunt. It pretty much says "Look, I have this nice sword, but I can kick your sorry *** without it." Like how Captain Falcon has his laser pistol, but he won't waste it's fire on you when he can just simply PAWNCH.
However, in order for it to have meaning, Ganondorf's got to be restored to his former glory. No more huff-and-puff slug man.
This.

Ganondorf doesn't need a sword, I think that he can have a cool playstyle without it. I too think that he is a boss when he shows his sword when taunting.

And yes, he could indeed have a new moveset that is a bit more unique. Personally, I would like to see a projectile, since that is characteristic for him, although I am not sure if one should be able to hit it back...

D

Deleted member

Well, some characters can reflect projectiles already, and everyone can if they shield at the right moment (hard to pull off, though).
We don't really need to pull off the OoT Tennis thing, unless Ganondorf can reflect the attack right back as well. Such as, he send the projectile, and until it goes away, the attack command is replaced with a motion to reflect it in case it gets sent back.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Well, some characters can reflect projectiles already, and everyone can if they shield at the right moment (hard to pull off, though).
We don't really need to pull off the OoT Tennis thing, unless Ganondorf can reflect the attack right back as well. Such as, he send the projectile, and until it goes away, the attack command is replaced with a motion to reflect it in case it gets sent back.
I wouldn't call powershielding "hitting" back, but that's just me. I was just thinking of Link's sword and maybe other, similar attacks. Like I said, I am not sure if that should work or if it's just going to be a normal projectile (which you were talking about).

I think the projectile should be an energy ball, but maybe they can tweak it and make it a bit smaller (unless they implement charge) compared to the ones in OoT.

oirasorledyelsie

Smash Apprentice
I feel that giving him a projectile would be like the sword problem...

"I rather like the sword as a taunt. It pretty much says "Look, I have this nice sword, but I can kick your sorry *** without it." Like how Captain Falcon has his laser pistol, but he won't waste it's fire on you when he can just simply PAWNCH."

It feels like he need to be a wuss and camp...

NO Ganon doesn't care about that bullcrap... He will freaking plow through most projectiles. Projectile spamming should be one of his weakness but should not be a major setback...

D-Special has no flavor or creativity and should be his dash attack.

D-smash... I think the trident idea would work here... He slams the trident on the floor causing shockwaves since he has the Triforce of Power and given godly strength...

D

Deleted member

Giving him the trident is no different than giving him a sword.

He has shown to create shockwaves with his fists in OoT, he doesn't need a trident for that.

oirasorledyelsie

Smash Apprentice
Giving him the trident is no different than giving him a sword.

He has shown to create shockwaves with his fists in OoT, he doesn't need a trident for that.

I don't play Zelda games but that sounds even cooler. Just fell in love with them a few days ago due to their more dramatic storylines in their games...

His U-smash should be a dark giant explosion.. And U-tilt a faster version of Ganon's old U-smash.

Ganon could have the coolest moveset but somehow turned into a clone and not a good one too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What about a slower sort of teleportation as one of Ganon's special moves? He's always been teleporting around in the final battles in Zelda. It could be like a dark hole kind of attack that would allow Ganondorf to teleport in a way much like Mewtwo and Zelda's Up B, but the teleporting is slower, and a shadow would follow Ganon (think aLttP final battle) which would do damage if B is being pressed. And if you don't hold B, the teleporting is slightly faster but does no damage. It cannot be used in midair though, but does have super armor afterwards so it's much harder to punish Ganon for this move than what we are used from him. Sometimes (like, 1/4 chance) a Fire Keese appears that does around 8% damage when touched (and disapears after a few seconds of when being hit). This could easily replace his Down B.

No good ideas for a neutral B attack though, but a sort of "holding" projectile that has a lot of hitstun would fit him. Or indeed, a Warlock Punch aimed at the ground which would much like a slower, but stronger DK's Down B basically.

I feel the Side and Up B as they are in Brawl are fine now, except that Side B should be stronger / more damaging and Up B could use a boost in overall distance.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
the teleporty thing would be a good form of recovery (think of it being similar to mewtwo's) to differentiate him from falcon. i would like to se him keep a similar moveset to the norm though.
Perhaps having a side-b with one hit of armour or something would work for dealing with projectiles

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Teleporting... That sounds interesting.

I like the idea with a slow teleportation with a shadow that follows him. I think about Akumas teleport in SSFIV, which has invincible frames and can be used as a defensive manouver. Maybe something similar would work for Ganondorf?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, the way I see it is it being a sort of mix between Zelda's Up B, Fox / Falco's Side B and MetaKnight's Down B... If that makes any sence. Except the move is ground-bound. The Ganon shadow which would follow up as an attack would make the move function sort of like Melee Ganon's Down B anyway, so he loses nothing in terms of attacking possibilities (think of the shadow as Wizard's Foot and it being of similar strenght to the Melee version and about the similar speeds), he just gains something defensive. Which suits the character very well, and is one of his weaknesses (many as they are) currently. The attacking part however would shorten the lenght of the teleport to 2/3th max of the maximal lenght, which would be about as wide as the total distance Wizard's Foot travels, maybe a little further. To active the attacking part you press B, similary to how Diddy's Side B sex kick works instead of doing a DA HUMP.

@Ove: I've got no knowlegde of other fighting games, but please show a video of this move, as it sounds sort of like how I pictured it in my head.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
What if Ganondorf keeps the warlock punch but he can angle it in all directions? He could have the punch if you press B but shoots a projectile when you hold B.

I like the teleport idea btw.

:phone:

ShinyLucario1000

Smash Rookie
Give the old set to Groose. Give Ganon a projectile/sword set, perhaps keeping the side b.
Nononononono!

Groose does not even fight in Skyward Sword. He doesn't do much in the story, other than being a rival to Link and building a cannon to defend the sealed grounds, but that is it. And if they were to add a character from Skyward Sword, why not a character that we have seen fight, like Impa, Girahim, or even Demise?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa, hell yes. Ghirahim I'm not too keen of, but seeing his support and movepool, he'd work easily. Demise would probably just rival Ganondorf too much, but would love to see him being used as an inspiration for Ganondorf's new moveset if he where to use a sword. Groose would be a nice AT with his Groosenator, or a stage object in a Skyward Sword based level in the Sealed Grounds.

And Ove, yeah in terms of using the move could work like that but in Ganon's case it'll probably look less like a dash and more like an actual teleporting move. And I'd personally picture it traveling further than that. Also, Ganondorf's teleport should have an attacking part, and it'll probably be a little slower (but with super armor).

D

Deleted member

Nononononono!

Groose does not even fight in Skyward Sword. He doesn't do much in the story, other than being a rival to Link and building a cannon to defend the sealed grounds, but that is it. And if they were to add a character from Skyward Sword, why not a character that we have seen fight, like Impa, Girahim, or even Demise?

Can you point out to me where Zelda has used Din's Fire, Naryu's Love, and Farore's Wind in OoT?
How about when Sheik used needles or a chain whip?

Or for a non-Zelda example, point out to where Captain Falcon does anything other than drive a racecar in the F-Zero games.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
He needs the energy volley ball attack so we can play the "hit it back and forth until someone messes up and gets hit and stunned" game.
^^This!

I wouldn't mind if they kept SOME of the "clone" moves, because they did alter his mechanics to make him more slow and punishing, whereas Captain Falcon is athletic, lightning-fast and has quick releases.

They need to give him moves where he doesn't look like an acrobat and make him look for like a psychotic warlock. Give him magic moves like Zelda (not LIKE hers, but with the same hit-box and range advantages) but allow him to demonstrate his sheer power. Maybe keep two of the old specials but implement the light ball move (which would be awesome to watch in the middle of an epic battle anyways) and some sort of possession move?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
My two cents:
Ganondorf never used a trident, only Ganon. And there IS a difference- the Trident shows off the pure bestial, demonic strength and anger of the Ganon beast. I think of Ganon as a foil to Ganondorf- the beast is all physical, while GanonDORF is a man of strong ambition and plots. The sword just fits the immortal schemer better, especially considering most of his recent human-form appearances have had him using at least one sword.

That being said, I would have loved to have a spear character- instead of having slashy arcs that all the swinging characters have, it'd be a lot of thrusting strikes. Nice and different. I could see that stab-fighting style if he kept swords in his sleeves like he did in Wind Waker, and just let them quickly jab out during some A-attacks.

I'd like to see them emphasize his sorcery. He is a keenly intelligent villain, not someone who tries to brute himself to victory.

Up B, Umbral Crawl
A shadow-themed move where he turns into a shadow and then can be moved. After a second or so, he reappears where the shadow was along with a damaging explosion.

Neutral B, Shadow Orb
A chargeable projectile that can't be stored- think something like Link's bow that gets stronger the longer you hold it. Difference being that the projectile also grows larger but travels slower. Automatically is fired once fully charged.

Side B, Grim Hold
Same as the current Side B flame choke, except while choking the victim on the ground you can choose to throw them in a chosen direction instead of the more damaging drop.

Down B, Phantom Sentinel
A sword-wielding Phantom Ganon steps out of Ganondorf's shadow and stands there for a second before making a large swing and then disappearing.

(Also, with Demise as an alternate costume.)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
your argument of Ganondorf not having using the trident is compelling. he solely used magic in Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf's debut, so it could be a nice throwback at his original appearence.

not a bad moveset at all. having Demise as an alternate costume is also a big plus, especially if Ghirahim makes the cut!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes it's a cool moveset. I that remember Phantom Ganon in OoT used a trident in the fight against him in the Forest Temple, but other than that he hasn't used it outside of his Ganon-form.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why does everyone forget the awesome Wind Waker fighting style?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not forgetting it, it's just in the category; 'too good to be true' unfortunately

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Demise Alt Costume. And give ganon a sword/ trident/ something

:wiiu:

D

Deleted member

I have to say, even if they were cloned, his move names in Japanese were badass.

Warlock Punch: Demon Fist
Flame Choke: Hellfire Grip
Dark Dive: Thunder Palm
Wizard's Foot: Demon Burst Foot

Shirekeldeo7

Smash Cadet
Ganondorf was awesome with his moveset but it was a copy of Captain falcon i'd say make him use his sword he carries around because in Melee if you win as Ganondorf in Vs. mode sometimes it'll show him swinging a sword with a dark aura around it and it'll be perfect for a weapon

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If they wanna keep Ganondorf with his current style, it's also good. At least, if they made it so that he can grab his sword during the fight, similary of how Nightmare does this in Soul Calibur. Ganondorf's moveset without the sword could still resemble C.Falcon's a bit for all I care if they did this.

FishSlappinDance

Smash Cadet
In regards to sword usage, I'd like to pull your attention to not only Twilight Princess but also Ness's use of "weaponry" in his smash attacks. What do I mean by this? I believe that any sword-based attacks Ganondorf should have should only apply to his smash attacks, though I am a bit biased to only have it for his Forward-smash.

I love the way Ganondorf elbows Link and then follows up with a slash. That said, I'd love if that were to be implemented in his forward smash and work similarly to the way Link's forward smash works: Press the button combination for the first attack (elbow) and then press it again to perform the second part of the attack (sword slash).

But in all, I think Ganondorf's moveset should deviate away from Captain Falcon's though I do admit I do like his specials and feel they fit his character: slow yet powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom