• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Garde's Link Guide

SNTRL

Smash Lord
Yeah the spin move can be used as a really good edge-guarding move.
Main point is to not over use it to the point for the opponent to find away to adapt and counter act.
Remember there is always some way to counter somethign.:)

Holla!!!

X Japan

Smash Lord
whats up everyone.if all u don't know this by now i'm back in NY.i kind of sacred the **** at of Kubuu when he saw my at the NJF tourney(J/King, but he was shocked).right now i'm trying to get my **** together for life and stuff and also try to see about traveling a lit bit, but for now it looks like i'm stuck in NY for a bit.also i want to tell everyone about one of NY best Smash tournies is the Phillyfest tournament.this year is different we having so out of state players coming(mainly a lot of FL. players).it suppose to happen during the week of April 10-17.i hope to see some of u guys there.i know Kubuu might come.but hope to see some more outside players.later!!!

X Japan

Smash Lord
**** not this BS again.no one got anything to say about Link or some new BS with him.one of these days everyone on this thread need to get on AIM and have some group chat or something.not even someone trash talking.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Yes, I believe Jigglyfuuk and Cloud Strife X are coming to Phily fest. Just be ready for them, they are south florida's most dangerous Jigglypuff and Marth. I wish I can go with my crew too, but money is an issue for me, and I wont be able to go. Those 2 have all the fun! :o

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Originally posted by X Japan
**** not this BS again.no one got anything to say about Link or some new BS with him.one of these days everyone on this thread need to get on AIM and have some group chat or something.not even someone trash talking.
Yeah, it's been slow. REAL slow. School and college and stuff. On a side note, i'm watching Naruto and i finally saw the episode where you got that sig from. :bee:

Uhhh...hey Link players, let's talk good jiggly strategy. How much trouble do you think they are? I can't have any good jiggly pratice because no one i know plays 'em. I'm thinking to keep your distance with projectiles and abuse his foward tilt (something i rarely use) because it stays out there and covers above Link and has some pretty good range. And it's probably best not to grab jiggly....ever. I'm thinking it can duck the hookshot, if not dodge it, and go for the rest. Any other ideas?

JDouGH

Smash Rookie
Bomb slide .. easier for me

Heres a couple things i learned while trying to bomb slide ... its hard *** **** with the rang lol but if pull out another bomb jump streight up and then throw it down u get the same results.. i also found in my own experiences that it will only go right not left.

JDouGH

Smash Rookie
also ... im going to be at the phili v-fest so if anyone wants to talk about that aim me at JDouGH the Great

JDouGH

Smash Rookie
me again

lol yes im on crack ..... i ment to say when u bomb slide ive found that it will only go left not right :beezo: :confused:

-West Coast Wes-

Smash Journeyman
1 ur post is pointless
2 ur wrong. U can slide both ways if u know what ur doing.

at least apologize and ask for a mod to close this if it was an accident.

Ungodly-Evil

Smash Apprentice
you have to press left- right just before your coming out of your morphing ball and then you'll slide to the right

X Japan

Smash Lord
Originally posted by SS4Ricky
Yeah, it's been slow. REAL slow. School and college and stuff. On a side note, i'm watching Naruto and i finally saw the episode where you got that sig from. :bee:

Uhhh...hey Link players, let's talk good jiggly strategy.

dude if u just got to that ep then u got a h3ll of a long way to go.that ep was 26-27.u haven't even seen the cool fight with Garaa vs. Lee,Neji vs. Naruto,and Sasuke vs. Garaa.

well with Jigg tactic.
the best thing to do is to use ur tilts a lot.if ur enemy like to abuse shot hop Back Kick to a LC and REPEAT!!!! just dodge the kick and Meteor F+A his ***.if u have a bomb in hand run up on him throw it.if it hit short hop F+A,LC,throw boomer at him,as he still in the air short hop or jump(depending on how high Jigg is) either A or F+A.

hope that helps.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
If you can get under a Jig and use air+up+A, Jig will go up high, it doesnt have much resistance to anything that hits it up, that Jigs weak point. And most Jigs will use Wall of Pain, or Will KO you with Rollout. Link will never win in the air with Jig, unless Jig gets stunned by a attack. F-air with C-Stick, Up+air, Up+B, Boomerang, Bomb, F-Tilt, Forward Smash. Those are basically counter moves for a Jig when its performing its wall of pain strat/ Rollout. Be aware that Jig can turn in directions 3 times during rollout. When you fight a Jig, its best to choose Great Bay, non-rollout territory.

Chaoser, thanks for giving the word out about helping get another banner, i like this one!

X Japan

Smash Lord
ok i don't know wtf ur talking about.i'm sorry i'm just not in the right state of mind at this moment.anyway i still hope some of u Link players try to at least think about coming to Phillyfest'04.look at what u are getting a bunch of new smash players to meet,the sites of NY,and a chance to take Phillyfest from Wes and Mike.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Anyways, I forgot to mention Links throws with Jig. His best option is to Up+throw Jig cause as long as ur underneath Jig, Jig will get more hurt, and the setup works better so you can send Jig flyin by juggling. Just dont down throw Jig, cause it will use Rest when it recoils from the ground, and send Link flying.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
CaliburChamp, I think that you're right about not down-throwing jiggs, but only at low percentages. Below 70%, you'd probably want to opt for an up throw, but once you get to 70%, you can down-throw to upthrust, and on a stage like yoshi's story, that's death for jiggs.

The GERM

Smash Ace
Time to ****

Boy, I haven't posted here in a while. You know what's funny, I just got done looking at that piece of s#%t "who beats Link thread" and read everyone's posts about "Link gets owned by anyone and everyone period"....HAHAHAHA. How little do they know about master Link players and Linkologists such as myself and all of you fine gentlemen. I think we owe it to ourselves as the "underdogs of the middle tier" to simply **** anyone and everyone who underestimates the hylian elf. Nobody seems to appreciate and understand the amount of skill it takes to master Link, and get him to that level where he can beat any character at their own game. It's time to go to a tournament and pick Link and watch your opponent cringe like a little girl, it's time to **** the high tier.

I leave you with these parting words: "There's nothing more sad and nauseating than a Link player who switches to Sheik"-The GERM

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Really, there is a thread about Links ownage? lol. These people presume too much! Link has certain moves that counter every character, but I still have to look for moves that counter Fox and Falco's movesets, I seem to have the most trouble with them, heh.

JesustheDarkLord

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Tray, I managed to hang with and even defeat on occasion both Fox and Sheik, played at a high level , with my Link. I keep trying to catch you on AIM, but you never seem to be on. Hit me sometime and I'll give you details.

Hmoob Koob

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by CaliburChamp
Really, there is a thread about Links ownage? lol. These people presume too much! Link has certain moves that counter every character, but I still have to look for moves that counter Fox and Falco's movesets, I seem to have the most trouble with them, heh.
True that, I have more trouble with Falco than Fox, however, I do like the fact that they are rather easy to edge guard. However, the mere fact of the damage they can do in a few measely hits makes them difficult, also, I have a tough time with Marth as well. Yeah, I also read that stupid "Who Beats Link" I'm going to post something in it soon, but honestly, let them say what they want, reasons why Link isn't considered "good" is because from what I've seen 80% of the Link players who have gone to tournies or play at high level...don't really go beyond, throwing bombs, boomerangs, and SpinAttack, thats it, probably the reason why Link is so poorly looked at.

Also, their are only a handful of us who are here who actually have made Link become a contender, given I've yet to go into a tournie outside of my hometown, but I worked extremely hard to make Link competetive. I play a Marth too, and I can say that it takes much more timing and precision to make Link win than with Marth.

To all Link player's, don't listen to people who say that Link can't be competetive, for if we all keep on working on Link, he can become competetive, besides I don't know if some of you people have had this enjoyment, but I remember pawning a Shiek player who was bashing that my Link wasn't a "contender" safe to say that I beat him, after that I didn't even say a thing, I just got up from my chair, and waited til it was my turn again, all his friends and everyone was bashing on him their after.

Let Link's actions speak for him, and you be the wielder.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Originally posted by JesustheDarkLord
Hey, Tray, I managed to hang with and even defeat on occasion both Fox and Sheik, played at a high level , with my Link. I keep trying to catch you on AIM, but you never seem to be on. Hit me sometime and I'll give you details.
Can you tell us your way, of how to beat Fox and Sheik with more ease?

JesustheDarkLord

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but until Cloud Strife X and I settle some scores on the battlefield, I don't tell WA my secrets. I will say that using the boomerang, sex kick, and fair were the primary components. Dash dance as much as possible, and don't be slow. Against Sheik, I had good luck shield-grabbing out of her fsmash and dash attack, and against Fox, I tried to keep my boomerang out constantly, usually thrown at odd angles so that he had to shield, shine, or avoid.

When I use my boomer, I like to bounce it off of the ground instead of a straight throw. You sacrifice a bit of distance and speed, but you can change the angle to change the timing, which can really **** some people up.

SNTRL

Smash Lord
Even though im not good as any of you, but what JDL just said is true.

And one thing when playing agains a quick opponent like them if ur going to use ur up up+b, try using it effectively.

One thing i also do is pull out a bomb and throw it into the air and throw my boomerang at the ground which bounces up..ya know. While doing that i'll be jumping backwards while charging my arrow. A combination of Link's projectiles..each one would cause a lil destraction if ur ooponent is charging you.

But there might be alot of flaws in this technique..well i;m not a master at Link anyways:) .

Holla!!

JesustheDarkLord

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Chaoser

And one thing when playing agains a quick opponent like them if ur going to use ur up up+b, try using it effectively.
Are you saying that against slow opponents I should try to use my whirling blade ineffectively?

X Japan

Smash Lord
Are you saying that against slow opponents I should try to use my whirling blade ineffectively?

oh no.i hope this doesn't become some BS fued over words.i got enough of that **** happening on the Smash hub.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Sorry, but until Cloud Strife X and I settle some scores on the battlefield, I don't tell WA my secrets. I will say that using the boomerang, sex kick, and fair were the primary components. Dash dance as much as possible, and don't be slow. Against Sheik, I had good luck shield-grabbing out of her fsmash and dash attack, and against Fox, I tried to keep my boomerang out constantly, usually thrown at odd angles so that he had to shield, shine, or avoid.

When I use my boomer, I like to bounce it off of the ground instead of a straight throw. You sacrifice a bit of distance and speed, but you can change the angle to change the timing, which can really **** some people up.
Cloud Strife X is a Marth player, not a Fox or Sheik. Unless you have the same kind of strategy/combo thats works the same for them, then I will see why.
He beat me pretty bad with Link at Red Dragons tourny, until I learned how to counter Marth, with my special defensive combo. :chuckle:

Cloud Strife X

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cloud Strife X is a Marth player, not a Fox or Sheik. Unless you have the same kind of strategy/combo thats works the same for them, then I will see why. *Hint he Forward Smashes alot and spaces out so he can get the tip advantage*
He beat me pretty bad with Link at Red Dragons tourny, until I learned how to counter Marth, with my special defensive combo. :chuckle:
wooow I sense some nasty confidence calibur :chuckle: this will be interesting....:chuckle: can't wait to see this super saijan link move you have :rolleyes:

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Im sorry, I just had to learn it, too many Marths at Reds Tourny, had to learn it for my sake of ranking high with Link in tournys, now Fox and Falco are my primary problem, anyways hope to see you at Neoxcape when it opens, then I will gladly show you! And Good Luck at the Tennesee tourny, PWN them!:D

EDIT: I took out the hint I gave to JtDL, so you will win this tenesee tourny!

X Japan

Smash Lord
i need to ask this question.y do ppl say that if u make Link look fast then u are consider good?

i ask this becuz i think it was like 2 or 3 days ago and i was watching what ppl was saying on Kubuu's smash hub on DC++ and a discussion came up that invovled DeriLink's Link and GERM's Link.a lot of ppl was saying that his Link is good becuz it was fast and DeriLink's is garbage becuz it was slow, but the thing is that Derlink won most over GERM.so i ask y ppl confuse speed with smarts.cuz if that's the case then my Link is MADD GARBAGE.

P.S. u don't have to reply to this if u don't want to.i'm listening to the Fight Culb ST right now and i need to rant about someting.I am Jack's Medula Oblongata!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Cloud: Cloud I am confident when it comes to this move. But at the same time, Im overestimating you, if plan A fails I can go to plan B, then C, so on and so on. Im not trying to be cocky, Im being confident because, Confidence is what you need to win.

X Japan: I would say Links dominant quality, Power, is what you should should bring out on him the most, but its also important to be speedy. I never seen how the Germ or DeriLink play yet, but its kind of hard to say cause everybody's style is different, and mind games are vital to win! But I cant say what I think yet, cause I havent seen their match.

X Japan

Smash Lord
Cloud: Cloud I am confident when it comes to this move. But at the same time, Im overestimating you, if plan A fails I can go to plan B, then C, so on and so on. Im not trying to be cocky, Im being confident because, Confidence is what you need to win.

X Japan: I would say Links dominant quality, Power, is what you should should bring out on him the most, but its also important to be speedy. I never seen how the Germ or DeriLink play yet, but its kind of hard to say cause everybody's style is different, and mind games are vital to win! But I cant say what I think yet, cause I havent seen their match.
u didn't get to what i was saying i was talking about how ppl confuse skill and speed.i wasn't really talking about Germ and DeriLink.forget it.its nothing to fight over.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
i wanna see some germ and derilink matches...:(

anyways, both are essential. Link really doesn't have much going for him, you gotta give 'em all you got. If you've got predictions and mind games, you've got smarts. If derilink was slower, then he was probably anticipating alot of germs moves, or mabye he couldn't perform that quick, never played him. But if you l-cancel all your moves, fastfall, short hop aerials, dash dance, wavedash, all that's technical skill which accounts for speed. It also looks more appealing to the audience. You always gotta please the fans...If they consider germ's link better because of this, even though he lost, well.....i dunno. We've all agreed that ditto's don't prove alot, but a win's a win. i can't debate this too well 'cause i've never seen them in action.

But....ehh....you gotta get all the technical stuff down first....but mabye derilink just wasn't being flashy. If he got all the cancelling down, and used it only when he needed to, people would see him as slow, but it still wouldn't make him a garbage link. Everyone's got their own style of playing. I don't know what i'm saying, does this help any?

X Japan

Smash Lord
it was a rant man.i was a little piss off about what ppl was saying on the hub and i just mention one of the Link disscusion that was on the hub.no one didn't had to answer the reply.thats it i'm going back to Twin Snakes.i'm done with smash for a while.

Garde

Smash Ace
Blaine, the reason why people confuse speed and skill is because it's hard to play characters fast, especially Link. It requires a lot of skill to play Link as fast as the GERM does, but DeriLink was better at using a more traditional Link style than GERM was at using his speedy tricks. DeriLink is a great Link player, but The GERM's playing style was more impressive since people rarely (if they ever) see Link move that fast. I think that The GERM has a lot of potential with his playing style. It's sort of like when you first learn how to WD, and you find it a little bit trick to incorporate into your playing style, well, The GERM's playing style is completely like that, and is mad on mind games. With a little work, he could possibly beat DeriLink (in the majority of matches)...

Well, just my 2 cents...

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I dont really used a speedy Link too much either. WD has very little worth for Link, unless ur Y. Link. I like to keep my Link Rock Steady, while using speedy execution attacks that come out fast and keeping safety in mind. I just go for the Counter/Mind game strategys to give me more of a chance to win. I dont emphasize speed in terms of movement cause its not Link's strong point, unless your opponent is playing defensive.

Garde

Smash Ace
WD has very little worth for Link, unless ur Y. Link.
Riiiight.... Don't go talking to Blaine like that, he'll tear your head off. :p

Seriously though, WDing with Link is under rated, and Blaine agrees with me (last time I checked). Just because he doesn't have the best WD (far from it) in the game doesn't mean it should never be used. Against a Fox who loves to SH d-air, you can WD back to d-smash or f-smash before they even land (or right as they land). Against a Marth that loves to SH f-air, you can WD forward, sidestep and then SH to b-air. There are a bunch of thigns that WDing can be used for, you just need to search for them.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I WD with Link, but I am very cautious when doing it. I mean I use WD for going on the defensive, but when Im going on the offensive with WD I just seem to get punished more. Just to save confusion I do use WD for Link, but only defensively. The other characters are able to do more with their WD than Link can, which is why I said that. Anyways, that my kind of style, playing defensive.

Top Bottom