• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Suzie

The Epitome of an Unparalleled Knight
Anyone watching Nanatsu No Taizai?
I started reading the manga a while back, the anime is great.
So then you'd recommend Nanatsu, perhaps ? I've actually been really meaning to watch it. But I've sort of been focusing on other anime at the moment.

nessokman

Smash Lord
So then you'd recommend Nanatsu, perhaps ? I've actually been really meaning to watch it. But I've sort of been focusing on other anime at the moment.
It's a pretty good series if you new to kill some time, I would recommend it. Don't take it too seriously though.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think the issue is that it's not really good at anything. It's not an engaging adventure, the quality of action varies, and the characters aren't anything special.

You'll like Kiseijuu then. Plenty of senseless violence. It's like if Tokyo Ghoul wasn't horrible.

Suzie

The Epitome of an Unparalleled Knight
Hmm, I'd probably try it when I get more free time. But for now, I'll probably hold off on Nanatsu.

I'd actually been recommended Kiseijuu quite a bit. And Shingeki no Bahamut.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I've had a weekend to think about Guilty Crown and I'm mad about it now.

Why did it have to suck so bad

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I've had a weekend to think about Guilty Crown and I'm mad about it now.

Why did it have to suck so bad
You could kind of tell just based on the premise that it was going to be a disappointment in the same vein as Deadman Wonderland, Mirai Nikki, Mahouka, Sword Art, and any other series that has a very juvenile "fanfic"-esque style of writing. I've found that if you keep your expectations low for those shows, you won't come out of it with such a horrible experience, lol.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Not many openings become incredible in their full song version but wow

that 30 second build up is incredible

also I started Tokyo Ghoul tonight, it's pretty coo

Someone is gonna get hurt if Touka dies though

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not many openings become incredible in their full song version but wow

that 30 second build up is incredible

also I started Tokyo Ghoul tonight, it's pretty coo

Someone is gonna get hurt if Touka dies though
No Game No Life's full OP is so good. Found it amazing when I first heard it.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
lots of OP/EDs become more amazing in full ver

DRRR OP2, SAO1 ED2, FZ ED1 come to mind immediately
Oh for sure, but NGNL's having an intro to the part that becomes the show intro just has such an awesome quality to it

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The damage has been done, I saw it earlier. You have forsaken me, Miloaf.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
So I just finished watching the Berserk anime...I need to know what else happens @_@

Is there any continuation anime/OVA/movie etc. to the 25 episode series? I remember seeing something about the Golden Age Arc, but I have no idea what it is (no spoilers please!). If there is no more anime, I will just have to resort to reading the manga (not much of a fan of reading manga tbh). Thanks!

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
So I just finished watching the Berserk anime...I need to know what else happens @_@

Is there any continuation anime/OVA/movie etc. to the 25 episode series? I remember seeing something about the Golden Age Arc, but I have no idea what it is (no spoilers please!). If there is no more anime, I will just have to resort to reading the manga (not much of a fan of reading manga tbh). Thanks!
The Golden Age is basically the entire beginning portion (not counting the "prologue" chapters) which is what the anime adapted. I think the third Berserk film adapts a bit of what was left out, but yeah, just read the manga. It's great.

GeZ

Smash Lord
So what are your guys opinion on the change in anime dynamic and quality over the last ten years?

I think it's unfortunate that it's gone down the crapper and most of what we get now is moe trash, but apparently some people are partial to that. What's the general consensus here?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Could anyone here tell me just how gruesome the torture scenes are in Monster?
With Monster being such a long series, I forget any particular torture scenes. I don't recall the series as a whole being too gruesome, though; it's rooted in realism, and there are multiple instances of violence, but certainly nothing near Berserk-level gore.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
So what are your guys opinion on the change in anime dynamic and quality over the last ten years?

I think it's unfortunate that it's gone down the crapper and most of what we get now is moe trash, but apparently some people are partial to that. What's the general consensus here?
The style changed to meet the demand for it and that's fine by me. There was more than enough garbage back in the day even with the more anatomically correct character designs and realistic animation. And now that I think about it, the truly memorably anime from the past was few and far between, although I will admit that it was probably better as a whole. It certainly had a better quality by year ratio, but I attribute that to the higher volume of shows being released nowadays. And even with the general public preferring style over substance, the last decade still gave us a lot of unconventional shows that break the mold and stray away from typical art and stories (e.g., Ping Pong, Mushishi, Aria, Kaiba, Shigofumi, Kyousou Giga, Kaiji).

Of course with that being said, I do share your sentiment that it's not going in a favorable direction. Then again, I can't say that I ever expected much for foreign cartoons. God bless moe trash.

GeZ

Smash Lord
@ :mad: :mad: I agree and disagree with your post so much it hurts.

Anime definitely always has been bad, from a majority view point. Like most of anime has always been bad. Older anime definitely had higher highs though. Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, Eva (not the **** rebuilds), etc, are really solid not just as anime but just as expressions of a creators thoughts.

The general public wanting style over quality is really what's killing it though. There's a book that I picked up a few months ago that's a compendium of interviews with Hayao Miyazaki, called Turning Point. I was first impressed with how smart, and artistic, and open he was, but I later appreciated his very frank views on the way anime is going. He says in one interview that the Otaku moniker that people wear proudly now, isn't something to be proud of. Otaku's are killing anime, because they're the general consumer who appreciates solely the medium without any eye for quality.

There definitely have been some good shows that break the mold, and I personally loved and highly praised Ping Pong for being so experimental and open, and Mushishi for being evocative and quiet, reminiscent of its subject matter perfectly, but no shows have captured the old story telling. FLCL was this kickass coming of age story, but like most good stories, was not up front with what it was pushing. It relayed all of the growing up through symbolism and metaphor. Eva is this whole crazy complex maelstrom of ideas and is great not as an anime, or as a show, but rather just as art.

I'm sad that I've grown up to understand some of the greater accomplishments of anime, just so I can notice its swift decline due to its newfound mainstream appeal.

And moe trash is the poison. I can't even enjoy it because watching it just makes me think of how **** like Haruhi and Naruto are easy cashgrabs with practically built in fanbases that overtake and stifle the artists that really need the funding to made exceptional work.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
There's always been tons of insubstantial works in all forms of entertainment/art, and there'll always be some gems between those. Seriously, it's not like there was another [insert favorite anime here] every year in the 90s, and nowadays all that's released is brainless trash.

Also, moe trash is the best.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Regarding your first point, I think it really comes down to the medium as a whole being shallow. They're typically glorified commercials for the source material and the anime originals vary so much in quality that there's not a lot of room for comparison. It's hard to capture the same charm when you're working with less creative freedom, harsh deadlines, and an industry that's rapidly evolving. For better or worse, the consumers interests change and the industry is only still afloat because they're able to make sales. It sucks, but what can you do other than support the studios that you think do it right.

I've read some excerpts from the Miyazaki interview and I don't think he's really one to talk given his formulaic approach to sell his films. He can reel in viewers with touching family films, others do it with pantie shots. I'm all for "artistic quality", but I think there's still some merit in giving people what they want. Good shows won't go away, you'll just have to search a bit harder to find them.

As nice as those are, you have to consider what entertainment is. People purchase (or pirate) anime first and foremost to be entertained. Whether or not it has any significance or meaningful messages is secondary for most people and there's nothing wrong with that. I was in a similar boat to you for awhile where I looked down on the endless harems and brainless moeblob comedies until I spoke with a high school student about why he liked Sword Art Online, Shingeki no Kyojin, and other mainstream dreck. He explained that his mother died and since then, he looked to anime for the imaginative worlds and obvious wish fulfillment. It made him happy. He said he didn't need complex stories riddled with meaning, he just wanted something fun. It was a chance to turn his real life off and enjoy himself. I felt like an idiot for not realizing that sooner and since then, my views on the subject have lightened up. I also remembered it was true for other mediums as well. It's why people like generic pop music and dumb popcorn movies. So while these insipid shows keep getting churned out, I can't fault them too much because they make people happy.

Those "artists" you speak of aren't typically bothered by not having their ideas adapted because manga and light novels are still profitable.

GeZ

Smash Lord
There's always been tons of insubstantial works in all forms of entertainment/art, and there'll always be some gems between those. Seriously, it's not like there was another [insert favorite anime here] every year in the 90s, and nowadays all that's released is brainless trash.

Also, moe trash is the best.
Doesn't mean there isn't currently a clear decline. Of course there will always be insubstantial work, but if you hold something to its highest points over a timeline you can definitely trace changes in the nature of things.

And the best anime have been growing worse over time.

Regarding your first point, I think it really comes down to the medium as a whole being shallow. They're typically glorified commercials for the source material and the anime originals vary so much in quality that there's not a lot of room for comparison. It's hard to capture the same charm when you're working with less creative freedom, harsh deadlines, and an industry that's rapidly evolving. For better or worse, the consumers interests change and the industry is only still afloat because they're able to make sales. It sucks, but what can you do other than support the studios that you think do it right.
The medium has the ability to be better than the sum of its parts, just like all artistic mediums. The industries rapid evolution is what is killing it, and that is for worse. Even if we can't change it, that doesn't mean it's not happening. It just means it is.

I've read some excerpts from the Miyazaki interview and I don't think he's really one to talk given his formulaic approach to sell his films. He can reel in viewers with touching family films, others do it with pantie shots. I'm all for "artistic quality", but I think there's still some merit in giving people what they want. Good shows won't go away, you'll just have to search a bit harder to find them.
He actually acknowledges that a large part of his early career is to soft, and toting happy nature, which is why he made Princess Mononoke so ambiguous, with no real villains or hero's. You should look more into it. The guy is thoughtful as hell. Good shows definitely won't go away, but it's unfortunate that good shows come about less frequently.

As nice as those are, you have to consider what entertainment is. People purchase (or pirate) anime first and foremost to be entertained. Whether or not it has any significance or meaningful messages is secondary for most people and there's nothing wrong with that. I was in a similar boat to you for awhile where I looked down on the endless harems and brainless moeblob comedies until I spoke with a high school student about why he liked Sword Art Online, Shingeki no Kyojin, and other mainstream dreck. He explained that his mother died and since then, he looked to anime for the imaginative worlds and obvious wish fulfillment. It made him happy. He said he didn't need complex stories riddled with meaning, he just wanted something fun. It was a chance to turn his real life off and enjoy himself. I felt like an idiot for not realizing that sooner and since then, my views on the subject have lightened up. I also remembered it was true for other mediums as well. It's why people like generic pop music and dumb popcorn movies. So while these insipid shows keep getting churned out, I can't fault them too much because they make people happy.
If you view anime as purely entertainment, of course you're ****ed. Same goes with music, and movies.

It's great that the person you talked to could use anime as an escape, but that doesn't speak to the quality drop. People will find escapism always. One of my closest friends uses video games to ignore his dads cocaine addiction and his bipolar sister. It doesn't speak to the subject matter though, and it doesn't mean that that content isn't bad, and harmful to the medium.

It's about striking the balance between making people happy and making substantive content. If the object was to just make people happy, then of course, make anime as it is now, and have Michael Bay direct every movie, and have all music be radio pop, but that's a bleak future man. Brave New World portrayed that kind of dystopia, and at the time, and now, it is a dystopia. The pleasure bots are taking over. They've got enough of everything as is. Art and entertainment need to be taken back. A balance can be struck, but it won't be by blatant acceptance of these entertainments new forms and roles.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Doesn't mean there isn't currently a clear decline. Of course there will always be insubstantial work, but if you hold something to its highest points over a timeline you can definitely trace changes in the nature of things.

And the best anime have been growing worse over time.
Those changes aren't inherently negative though, they just don't appeal to your tastes.

The medium has the ability to be better than the sum of its parts, just like all artistic mediums. The industries rapid evolution is what is killing it, and that is for worse. Even if we can't change it, that doesn't mean it's not happening. It just means it is.
Depends on your definition of "killing it". With the advent of Crunchyroll and other streaming services, they're making more money than ever. It won't die, but maybe your spirit will. You're becoming part of an ever-growing minority.

He actually acknowledges that a large part of his early career is to soft, and toting happy nature, which is why he made Princess Mononoke so ambiguous, with no real villains or hero's. You should look more into it. The guy is thoughtful as hell. Good shows definitely won't go away, but it's unfortunate that good shows come about less frequently.
We get a good show or two every season. That's not too bad, all things considered.

If you view anime as purely entertainment, of course you're ****ed. Same goes with music, and movies.

It's great that the person you talked to could use anime as an escape, but that doesn't speak to the quality drop. People will find escapism always. One of my closest friends uses video games to ignore his dads cocaine addiction and his bipolar sister. It doesn't speak to the subject matter though, and it doesn't mean that that content isn't bad, and harmful to the medium.

It's about striking the balance between making people happy and making substantive content. If the object was to just make people happy, then of course, make anime as it is now, and have Michael Bay direct every movie, and have all music be radio pop, but that's a bleak future man. Brave New World portrayed that kind of dystopia, and at the time, and now, it is a dystopia. The pleasure bots are taking over. They've got enough of everything as is. Art and entertainment need to be taken back. A balance can be struck, but it won't be by blatant acceptance of these entertainments new forms and roles.
That really just comes down to subjectivity. Simple =/= bad, just because it isn't complex or insightful doesn't mean that it's terrible. You'll find that people don't exclusively indulge in just the brainless stuff.

If it's about balance, I think they do a fine job as it is of creating easygoing dumb shows that still maintain some substance. Brave New World is an extreme example and you know it. We still have access to alternatives from juvenile fluff and we always will.

It seems that you're looking for Da Vinci level paintings at an elementary art show. Try more manga and visual novels if you're still worried about anime's dark future.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Those changes aren't inherently negative though, they just don't appeal to your tastes.
Moe trash is bad. SNK was barely above average.

Depends on your definition of "killing it". With the advent of Crunchyroll and other streaming services, they're making more money than ever. It won't die, but maybe your spirit will. You're becoming part of an ever-growing minority.
It's a business. Of course dying =/= going bankrupt. Dying = loss of integrity.

We get a good show or two every season. That's not too bad, all things considered.
That's super optimistic. We get a show of slightly above average quality semi consistently. Good is much harder to attain, and isn't attained nearly as often.

That really just comes down to subjectivity. Simple =/= bad, just because it isn't complex or insightful doesn't mean that it's terrible.
Very seldom is art praised for being conventionally solid. Advancement comes from forward thinking. Different thinking. Simplicity isn't necessarily bad, but it is even less often good.

It seems that you're looking for Da Vinci level paintings at an elementary art show. Try more manga and visual novels if you're still worried about anime's dark future.
It seems like you never placed much faith in anime's ability to be really spectacular. It can do really amazing things, but this passivistic look at it only brings it down to the scope you believe it fits. That's why anime is so tired. A lot of people who would value its strengths and critique its failings convince themselves that it's all of a piece and all motion is forward motion.

You gotta just want a little more. I mean, this conversation shows that we feel different ways about it, and yours is the more favored one, but I gotta keep that want. If being a musician has taught me anything, it's that complacency and acceptance just lead to gray fields.

Last edited:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
We feel the same on a lot of things actually. I just feel that I've been too harsh on not just anime, but everything. I've since become happier after opening my mind and trying new things. It's nice being able to enjoy both ends of the spectrum. That's true balance in my opinion instead of favoring one idea of what quality is.

Much respect to you though.

nessokman

Smash Lord
SNK was barely above average.
I would argue otherwise. SnK is great for why it is.It doesn't have a deep plot,not every show needs one. SnK is an awesome action series with incredible animation and an epic soundtrack. It appeals greatly to those who use anime as an escape.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Ooh interesting conversation going on here. Am I too late?

I don't think I can really contribute much to it but I am generally interested in unique anime whereas I try as many manga which seem interesting. Some of them turn out to be great, some good, some generic and some just duds. I agree that manga like Naruto aren't exceptional, I read it mainly cause my friends were raving about it.

I can see how excessive moe "trash" may be spoiling the anime/manga industry where some great mangas are discontinued whereas ecchi/fan-service filled manga keep going on on and on... It gets annoying when I read a manga with something unique only for it to turn out to either degenerate with addition of unneeded fanservice/moe-ness or just get plain discontinued.

On a similar note:
I just finished Evangelion and I must agree that it was different to anything to I ever saw. The music, idea, and atmosphere. Plus the infusion of philosophy, especially around 2/3rds way in where it really changes. I guess you could call it a greater art form then an anime, especially considering everything that it fits into the show. Plus it is confusing as well.

Anything else awesome to watch?

Plus how are the rebuilds? I know that the storyline is drastically changed plus the creator wants to make it more accessible to non-Eva fans...... ( I know that doesn't sound nice...)

Top Bottom