• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
They do huh?

Well I guess I will still try them out to see what was wrecked changed...

I don't know if I will call myself an Eva fan yet, but I definitely liked it.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Those still seem like a steaming pile of nonsense to a non-Eva fan like me ;)
It's fine to not get Eva, man. Most people don't. That's why fan opinions are so mixed. Unless you're talking about the rebuild. That just blows ass.

Ooh interesting conversation going on here. Am I too late?

I don't think I can really contribute much to it but I am generally interested in unique anime whereas I try as many manga which seem interesting. Some of them turn out to be great, some good, some generic and some just duds. I agree that manga like Naruto aren't exceptional, I read it mainly cause my friends were raving about it.

I can see how excessive moe "trash" may be spoiling the anime/manga industry where some great mangas are discontinued whereas ecchi/fan-service filled manga keep going on on and on... It gets annoying when I read a manga with something unique only for it to turn out to either degenerate with addition of unneeded fanservice/moe-ness or just get plain discontinued.

On a similar note:
I just finished Evangelion and I must agree that it was different to anything to I ever saw. The music, idea, and atmosphere. Plus the infusion of philosophy, especially around 2/3rds way in where it really changes. I guess you could call it a greater art form then an anime, especially considering everything that it fits into the show. Plus it is confusing as well.

Anything else awesome to watch?

Plus how are the rebuilds? I know that the storyline is drastically changed plus the creator wants to make it more accessible to non-Eva fans...... ( I know that doesn't sound nice...)
To address your last question first, the rebuilds are trash. It removes all the profundity, character diversity (as well as strength of personality), and realism from the show and boils it down to another mech anime that tries at strange rather than being genuinely intensely cerebral.

I've got a relatively small list of Anime that I'd say are the greats, so working through the list will definitely expose you to some of the most exceptional stuff.

It goes:
Cowboy Beebop
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
Trigun

I know I'm forgetting a few, but I'll edit this to add those.

Things of not the highest caliber but still worth mention because of their quality and difference goes:
Baccano
Mushi-shi
Ping Pong the Animation

Again more I've forgotten.

If you want a great source for thoughtful anime review, and honestly the only good anime reviewer I've found, check out Demolition D+ on youtube.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Oh well Gurren Lagann, FLCL and Cowboy Bebop were on my list anyway. Guess I better try those first.

Thanks for the heads up on the others though. Had heard of them but hadn't really noted them down in my to-watch list!

And the rebuilds are now just generic mech anime huh. Guess if I ever watch them, I will keep my head empty. Although I did see that the last movie is remaining.

Now to just wrap my head around that Eva ending...

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Did you watch the last two episodes or The End of Evangelion? (the movie)
Yep. Done with everything that came out before the rebuilds. I watched both the last episodes, the death and rebirth thing (although death was just a recap and rebirth was the first 30 minutes of the movie) and then the remaining part of the movie.

I think I have understood most of it. Also I THINK I preferred the episodes. Although the movie did help put some things in perspective (and we got some action) + confirmed what is implied in the episodes.

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Anime suggestions:
- Gintama
- Boku wa Tomodaci ga Sukunai
- Elfen Lied
- Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!
- Berserk
- Freezing, Freezing Vibration (ecchi but still has a compelling story)
- Yu Yu Hakusho (older anime art style and a bit cheesy at times)
- Soul Eater
- Sket Dance
- Noragami
- Log Horizon

There's an anime on this list for just about everyone. Action, romance, slice of life, ecchi, comedy, harem. Everything short of yaoi/yuri.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Well, Akame ga kill's anime is going on an anime only ending.

I really don't understand why the actual **** they decided to go on an anime only end. They LITERALLY skipped 12 chapters of the manga.(battle at the cathedral), which is by far the best fight of the series thus far.

It's not just that they skipped it, they literally hinted at the esdese fight in the cathedral and skipped it completely. It makes no sense how the characters got where they were at the start of today's episode. I feels like they already animated it all, then decided to cut the fight and make a bull**** end.

To everyone who thought the akame anime was bad, I highly recommend you read the manga from the beginning. It is better in every aspect.(pacing is weird, but not as terrible as the anime. It has better character development.)

On the bright side, unlimited blade works has me incredible hyped. The series thus far has. 9.5/10 from me.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well, Akame ga kill's anime is going on an anime only ending.

I really don't understand why the actual **** they decided to go on an anime only end. They LITERALLY skipped 12 chapters of the manga.(battle at the cathedral), which is by far the best fight of the series thus far.

It's not just that they skipped it, they literally hinted at the esdese fight in the cathedral and skipped it completely. It makes no sense how the characters got where they were at the start of today's episode. I feels like they already animated it all, then decided to cut the fight and make a bull**** end.

To everyone who thought the akame anime was bad, I highly recommend you read the manga from the beginning. It is better in every aspect.(pacing is weird, but not as terrible as the anime. It has better character development.)
I hate it when that happens. Although I do admit I avoid manga based anime adaptations, having anime only endings which most of the time suck makes me stay clear of the show as much as possible. Personally haven't read or watched Akame ga Kill but my some of friends rave on about it.

On the bright side, unlimited blade works has me incredible hyped. The series thus far has. 9.5/10 from me.
It is going real well? I only watched episode 0 as I am waiting for the series to end so I can watch the series in one go.

Seeing Ufotable's past works, and what they did with Fate/Zero, I think they can definitely much better than the past Fate/Stay Night anime.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I hate it when that happens. Although I do admit I avoid manga based anime adaptations, having anime only endings which most of the time suck makes me stay clear of the show as much as possible. Personally haven't read or watched Akame ga Kill but my some of friends rave on about it.
It is a good manga, basing animes on existing material usually leads to failures. Some of my favorite series have anime only endings. soul eater's manga finished a little over a year ago. Blue exorcist's manga is still going strong, the anime's end was terrible.

It is going real well? I only watched episode 0 as I am waiting for the series to end so I can watch the series in one go.

Seeing Ufotable's past works, and what they did with Fate/Zero, I think they can definitely much better than the past Fate/Stay Night anime.
It is undoubtably the most incredible series visually that I've ever seen. The story holds well, and the action is breathtaking. Definitely. Must watch.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I preferred Blackrock Shooter, visually.
UBW has a decent enough story though, unlike the aforementioned :D

@LastermasterA: do you feel that VN / LN adaptions are better in terms of not going for fan-fiction endings? If not, you can't be watching a lot of anime :p

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
@LastermasterA: do you feel that VN / LN adaptions are better in terms of not going for fan-fiction endings? If not, you can't be watching a lot of anime :p
Well that is actually true. I don't watch tons of anime, prefer manga (not to mention backlog of games coupled with the lack of time). Most of the anime I have watched are ones which had no manga series or atleast not initially. Dragonball Z might have been the only anime I watched which is based on a manga, and that was long back, before I started manga when I was around 14-15. Plus Fate/Zero recently.

I am unable to sit through animes greater than 30 episodes in length, too much time!

Side note: I want to see what all the hyped up visuals of BRS are.

Which fan-fiction endings would you be referring to?

Personally, I liked the UBW route the most in Fate/Stay Night so I look forward to see how it turns out in the hands of Ufotable. I saw the zeroth episode and I liked it, plus the series is getting positive reviews and all.

I wonder how they will fit Heaven's Feel in a movie considering the UBW movie was a mess.

By the way, you turned me into Lastermaster....

Last edited:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
First of all, sorry about the name :( (I blame the small keys on the laptop keyboard (yes, my s and t key are right next to each other))

@Long running anime: Yay, finally a ally. I only ever finished three animes with episode counts higher than 30 on MAL (Fma:bh, Princess Tutu and Death Note) :D

@Fan-fiction endings: I just jokingly use that term for "anime only endings", so stuff like the original FMA run.

@fate: I'm not really in the position to judge which route is my favorite. I've watched f/z and finished reading the saber route, but quit somewhere in the ubw route. I'm rather enjoying the anime adaption though; animated action sequences are a big plus to me here. (They aren't necessary for all stories, G-Senjou no Maou or Umineko were perfectly fine without, but Fate - to me - is a bit lacking without them)

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
First of all, sorry about the name :( (I blame the small keys on the laptop keyboard (yes, my s and t key are right next to each other))
Heh? Your keyboard has which layout?

@Long running anime: Yay, finally a ally. I only ever finished three animes with episode counts higher than 30 on MAL (Fma:bh, Princess Tutu and Death Note) :D
Glad to meet an ally :) For me it would be Dragonball Z and GT. That is about it I guess. I am about to watch KNK (Kara no Kyoukai) sometime in the future but it is a set of 9 movies so it should not qualify in that criteria. Already read Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note (really boring after that half way point...). What is Princess Tutu?

My friends tell me to watch Fairy Tale or some other huge anime and I look at the episode length and decline. Anyway, they already exist as manga, plus I avoid one of those huge mangas as they are usually overrated and full of fillers (I know that is a broad sweeping generalization). Although I have read some generic shounen here and there, liked some, some not so much.

@Fan-fiction endings: I just jokingly use that term for "anime only endings", so stuff like the original FMA run.
Yes that is the most significant anime only ending I know about. Original FMA branches off whereas Brotherhood follows the manga. I still don't think I will watch it, too long.

@fate: I'm not really in the position to judge which route is my favorite. I've watched f/z and finished reading the saber route, but quit somewhere in the ubw route. I'm rather enjoying the anime adaption though; animated action sequences are a big plus to me here. (They aren't necessary for all stories, G-Senjou no Maou or Umineko were perfectly fine without, but Fate - to me - is a bit lacking without them)
Fate has some bad writing plus action sequences are sometimes hard to imagine in VNs. I will watch the anime adaptation probably when it is done as I know the story anyway so I can wait it out.

Off topic, you actually referred to existing profiles called Long, fan and fate! :laugh:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Heh? Your keyboard has which layout?
I'm typing Colemak, which I totally would recommend, it's a lovely layout and the switch from querty wasn't too horribly lengthy (was at least back up to ~40 wpm within 3 weeks)

Glad to meet an ally :) For me it would be Dragonball Z and GT. That is about it I guess. I am about to watch KNK (Kara no Kyoukai) sometime in the future but it is a set of 9 movies so it should not qualify in that criteria. Already read Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note (really boring after that half way point...). What is Princess Tutu?
Yeah, death note dropped so badly after the first half... It's still okay afterwards, so it's still nice as a whole, but it could've been so much better :(

My friends tell me to watch Fairy Tale or some other huge anime and I look at the episode length and decline. Anyway, they already exist as manga, plus I avoid one of those huge mangas as they are usually overrated and full of fillers (I know that is a broad sweeping generalization). Although I have read some generic shounen here and there, liked some, some not so much.
Pretty apt generalization, though, I think :D

Yes that is the most significant anime only ending I know about. Original FMA branches off whereas Brotherhood follows the manga. I still don't think I will watch it, too long.
And you've also read it anyways. Personally I wouldn't read the Clannad VN (I'm not too big on manga, I rather like colors. So the only things I've ever finished there are the important ones... *cough* Touhou *cough*) despite enjoying the anime a lot... there's just too many things where I don't know the story already (:

Fate has some bad writing plus action sequences are sometimes hard to imagine in VNs. I will watch the anime adaptation probably when it is done as I know the story anyway so I can wait it out.
Action sequences in writing are just pretty pointless, to me at least. I think they have their place in animated / live action things, since there they are at least pretty to look at, but in books/comics they could do so much more interesting things in the same time (:

Off topic, you actually referred to existing profiles called Long, fan and fate! :laugh:
Guess I should use this style of replying nowadays :D (they're still at fault for having too generic names, psh... :D)

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I was imagining that Long, fan and fate would come here to find out why they were tagged, but as expected the ones having the most generic names are the ones that stick the least.

Action sequences in writing are necessary! How would you have action novels then? And on film/animation some things would be just too fast to follow. Plus it is pretty detailed so it can be cool to envision to what's happening. It often happens that the movie adaptation fails to capture the same thing.

Manga and anime are different since anime just take the manga fight scenes and fill 'em out. Same thing in comics.

I don't even usually read VNs. The only VN I read anymore is Phoenix Wright :p

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Random:
Onepunch-Man (Manga) / I don't want this kind of Hero (Manhwa) is a nice recommendation for a different kind of Shounen series.
****ting on shounen cliches basically.

And so far (150 from around 400+ Chaps) Zettai Karen Children seems to be fairly good for an endless Shounen (hopefully it holds true to the newer chaps and doesn't get them cliches).
Esperstuff.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
I need a new series, I'm tired of having to wait weekly for my current series to release new chapters/episodes. Something epic and bloody that I can marathon.....

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Anime:
Deadman Wonderland (Action), Psycho Pass (Action/Psychological), Berserk (Action), Corpse Party (Horror/Gore)...

Can't really offer much in terms of bloody... I tend to not do that well with such Anime.

Manga:
Bloody Junkie (Not that long though and incomplete forever... 8/ But fairly nice Deathgame/Survical stuff)
Deadman Wonderland again (longer than the Animeversion)
Jackals (Ok Series, kinda like Berserk in terms of Epicness. Big Dudes with Big Weapons)
Kodoku Experiment (Not sooo bloody, it's more Sci-Fi Survival Horror... may not be the epicness you look for)
Wolf Guy (Action... be prepared for harder sexual content)
Berserk (longer than the Anime)

Manhwa
Superior Day / Melo Holic / Hanged Doll from Team Getname
Not epic in terms of action, but they do have epic stories and are fairly dark, thus also fairly bloody.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I just finished watching Hellsing Ultimate quite recently.
Anderson and pip are the best characters on the show.
Also, 8.1/10

nessokman

Smash Lord
Watched seraph of the end's trailer. It looks beast as hell. It's by WIT, (attack on titan) so it will at the very least have amazing animation. I haven't had much luck with series this year, every one I get hype for turns out pretty badly. Akame was garbage, terra formars was epic but censored. Can't catch a break.

hoping seraph is a fun ride

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

DAT ENDING MUSIC THO.

This got me so pumped last night when I watched it. Can't wait for the second half!
Nice remix of the original's OP.

Awesome and nostalgic. Would definitely pump one up.

I like marathon-ing anime so I will probably wait for the whole show to come out. Know the whole story anyway.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Sao ii is finished, it was really well done. It had a few pacing issues, but overall I really enjoyed it. It beats the first season into the dirt.

Miharu

Smash Hero
im not gonna last 4 months, even if i know whats going to happen already

time to do some catchup work in the meantime

Twewy

Smash Lord
Find me a better official dub than Ghost Stories. Starts out decent but then it becomes 10/10.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOK OUT TED.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hmm it was confusing but I did love every moment of it. Plus I could watch it over and over due to its VERY short length.

Twewy

Smash Lord
The new JoJo series came out? Damn, I haven't even started the manga.

Shulkamania

Smash Rookie
NNID
thatguy13
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a very good anime/manga.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Attack on Titan is quickly losing all of my interest. It feels like the focus of the series has completely changed. I always feel that in recent chapters, it's trying to be something it isn't. I hate to say it, but I'm only giving the series 3 more chapters, after that I drop it.

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Gotta read the Jojo Manga sometime... the first anime was decent (and fabulous) once I got over the characters talking so much.

Randomstuff:
For Psychological/Supernatural stuff Ghost Hound is a pretty nice, underrated anime.
So far I haven't seen it getting any attention at all, which is kinda sad.

After I don't want to know how many Chapters of meh story/fanservice Fairy Tail actually managed to make a pretty nice twist in the story.
I'm pleasantly surprised. So it wasn't completly for naught to pick it up again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom