• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
This was just a rumor, but I remember hearing that before the director switch, Basch was the original hero at the beginning. There was something about the Wada saying that Basch wouldn't appeal to people as the main hero and decided for it to be Vaan (who was originally suppose to train under Basch after they set their differences aside). I heard this on a forum, but I can't say it's absolutely true or not.
I think I would have perfered that.

I always found Ashe to be the main character, but maybe I was just way off into gameplay to notice Basch.
Well (IMO) Basch was the most interesting character out of the bunch. The man was a war hero who is trying to prove that he didn't kill his King even though everyone is convinced that he did. How is that not interesting?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Too bad Basch stopped talking in the middle of the game. It felt like he was written out of the script or something. I swear, I think he only spoke at the beginning where he was important, and then at Old Archades.

Vaan was alright. They just shouldn't have drawn him in that dumb pose and they could've made him do a little more stuff if they wanted to make him the main character. It just seemed like his conflict with Basch just stopped and Vaan just tagged along for the ride.

I do want to replay XII again. I actually liked it.

This game could've been amazing if the director stayed. Considering the guy made FF Tactics and Vagrant Story...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I look at FFXII and cry. >_> I can't get over I lost all that data. I did like Basche, a lot, and honestly it was his and Ashe's story. Vaan didn't belong.

finalark

SNORLAX
I look at FFXII and cry. >_> I can't get over I lost all that data. I did like Basche, a lot, and honestly it was his and Ashe's story. Vaan didn't belong.
Pretty much. To be it felt like SE finished the game then suddenly realized that they didn't have a main character so they just threw him in. Seriously, he does almost nothing to move the plot along and is given very little characterization other than "his brother is dead and he lives on the streets."

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Pretty much. To be it felt like SE finished the game then suddenly realized that they didn't have a main character so they just threw him in. Seriously, he does almost nothing to move the plot along and is given very little characterization other than "his brother is dead and he lives on the streets."
All they needed to do was give him baggy pants, bling bling, and a mic.

I'm Vaan, King of Dalmascan Streets

My step so ***, so bounce to these beats.

The Bangaa love me, Vierra adore me,

Hell all of Ivalice guna come know me.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I'm neither old-school nor new-school. I may love VII and hate XII, but that doesn't mean I'm a die-hard fan. I treat the series with a level of expectations. Sure, they're individual games but if you're going to plop the "Final Fantasy" title in there, it better feel like I'm in a Final Fantasy game. If you don't have your Cids, airships, chocobos or moogles, you're pulling my chain.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm neither old-school nor new-school. I may love VII and hate XII, but that doesn't mean I'm a die-hard fan. I treat the series with a level of expectations. Sure, they're individual games but if you're going to plop the "Final Fantasy" title in there, it better feel like I'm in a Final Fantasy game. If you don't have your Cids, airships, chocobos or moogles, you're pulling my chain.

I love the FFVIII design the best. FFXII is really cute, but I agree, it's not a moogle.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I like XII's moogle actually. People hate on it, but that's how moogles look like in the world of Ivalice.

M.K

Level 55
Final Fantasy Tactics A-2: Grimoire of the Rift is so much fun to play! Its one of the few games of it's kind that I really love to play.
Sometimes I would get so carried away with the sidequests that I forget about the actual quests that move the story along!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
VIII's definately is a bit different. Moogles in XI were slaves, slaves!!!

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
When i played for first tiem FF xii, i really hoped to see a moogle like from FF IX, but "that" things apeared :S

For you, who is the Bes FF? For me the VI and the IX

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I like XII's moogle actually. People hate on it, but that's how moogles look like in the world of Ivalice.
Yeah, it's really not that bad.

I didn't even remember moogles in FFX though, aside from Lulu's dolls.

Final Fantasy Tactics A-2: Grimoire of the Rift is so much fun to play! Its one of the few games of it's kind that I really love to play.
Sometimes I would get so carried away with the sidequests that I forget about the actual quests that move the story along!
I didn't like TA2 as much as either of the first 2 Tactics games. Starting a battle with 0 MP is not cool imo.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Tactics are better than all 3. Tactics Adv is "okay" A2 is again "okay". Tactics..I loved the story.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Tactics are better than all 3. Tactics Adv is "okay" A2 is again "okay". Tactics..I loved the story.
Which was why I wished the Tactics director stayed and finished XII. :(
Surprisingly, I want to replay XII again and try out all the sidequests.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I didn't like the plot of Tactics all that much. It was just conspiracy theory within consipiracy theory within consipiracy theory within consipiracy theory within consipiracy theory within consipiracy theory. It's like Dune the video game only with Chocobos instead of giant sandworms.

Incidentally, Dune would make a cool game if they did it right.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Too each their own I suppose. Also, XII was okay, but it felt like a Tactics storyline that wasn't as good. A2... I only borrowed it so I'm merely going off game-play on my previous post.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I still haven't finished Tactics but I plan to this summer. The script is much better in the PSP version compared to the PS1 script. The only downside I have with the PSP one is that there's a little lag before spells and stuff. I don't think it's because of the PSP UMD, I just think Square was too lazy to fix that as they ported it.

I do love Tactics though.

finalark

SNORLAX
Does nobody remember that the FFXII moogles were first in FFT because they both take place in the same world?

Besides, that's actually my favorite design for them. Screw tradition, I like the new, more realistic take on them.

Also, I read the article for Four Warriors of Light in Nintendo Power. When it was first announced I was like "AKA 'Let's Recycle FF1 again'" but after reading the article I got all nostalgic and it looks like it will be a treat for old-school RPG fans.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I never beat the game but I don't remember moogles in FFT. I definitely remember them in FFTA though.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
If Nomura's in development, chances are moogles play a meager role.

XII was an abomination. I hate getting into this because I always get into heated arguments but I always feel the need to explain why this game sucked. Forget that it's even a Final Fantasy and treat it as a unique game and it still blows. T.T

Ignore me opinion if you must >.>

-If you took away the entire cast and left Ashe in there, nothing would change. The main character is just a facade. Vaan and Penelo have no purpose in the story.
-You can start a battle, go take a shower, come back and the battle will have finished itself.
-The main plot was way too predictable.
-Cid is a bad guy. WHY? WHY?!
-The secret boss battles aren't hard. They just take forever. That's not a challenge. That's called "leaving your PS2 on".

Yes, I know. XI and XIII share similar problems....
That's not a good thing. -_-

I only beat it to see if there were any redeeming factors in the game. I even hated the ending. My god.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I hated FFXII as well. I only played it to get to the Gilgamesh fight because Gilgamesh is awesome in FFV, one of my favorite bosses of all time. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore.

FFXI does have sort of the same problems, but it's an MMO so it's kind of excused from it to an extent. This is unacceptable for a single player game though.

I never thought about it but you're right, Nomura never includes Moogles much in his games. I guess they clash with his general theme of broody androgynous protagonists with more zippers and belts than clothing.

Also, I just realized that we need this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdJ_J5rGTc&feature=related

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Does nobody remember that the FFXII moogles were first in FFT because they both take place in the same world?

Besides, that's actually my favorite design for them. Screw tradition, I like the new, more realistic take on them.
Meh. Not as though the realistic approach automatically makes it better. A more recognizable one would have been better. It doesn't resemble a Moogle. At. All. If I tied a large poof ball to a string and taped it onto my head, am I a Moogle? Sure, I may be atrociously cute but don't be mislead.

And yes, lest we forget they're only in there because of how Tactics originally portrayed them. So I shouldn't be blaming XII. I should be blaming Tactics! =O [/sarcasm]

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I have this love/hate relationship with XII. It's not one of my favorites, but I did like how big the game was mostly. Exploration was the main thing I liked. License board was fun as well. It felt like a non-linear sphere grid (good and bad). But it made everyone play the same (unless you played International which helped).
-If you took away the entire cast and left Ashe in there, nothing would change. The main character is just a facade. Vaan and Penelo have no purpose in the story.
-You can start a battle, go take a shower, come back and the battle will have finished itself.
-The main plot was way too predictable.
-
Cid
is a bad guy. WHY? WHY?!
-The secret boss battles aren't hard. They just take forever. That's not a challenge. That's called "leaving your PS2 on".
-To be fair, Balthier had a good role. Basch is a distant third with Fran tailing behind Basch as fourth. The other characters had as much depth as Guests (besides that one Prince whose name I've forgotten)
-Semi-agree. Gambit was a cool idea, but it was easy to take advantage of things which made it boring.
-I can't remember the plot well so I can't say if it was predictable. But me forgetting the plot is a sign that the plot wasn't good. :laugh:
There were some moments I enjoyed, but they weren't memorable like in other FFs.
-I didn't like it at first. But I thought he was an awesome character in this game.
-Never bothered with the secret boss battle. Secret boss battles in FF games are usually really easy like in VII, or really repetitive and boring like X and XII (from what I've heard).

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Without resorting to cheap ranged tricks, Yaizmat isn't a cake walk on his last 10 bars. The first forty were unnecessary though.

finalark

SNORLAX
Meh. Not as though the realistic approach automatically makes it better. A more recognizable one would have been better.
Completely subjective. I'm not saying that it's better, I'm saying that I liked it.

It doesn't resemble a Moogle. At. All. If I tied a large poof ball to a string and taped it onto my head, am I a Moogle? Sure, I may be atrociously cute but don't be mislead.
I'm not a hardcore "IT HAS TO BE PERFECT" kind of guy, so it really didn't matter to me.

And yes, lest we forget they're only in there because of how Tactics originally portrayed them. So I shouldn't be blaming XII. I should be blaming Tactics! =O [/sarcasm]
I know, how dare they keep the same design because it takes place in the same world!

And yeah, you should be blaming tactics if you don't like it because it did it first.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I won't lie...the Scene in XII when the people who created the Sun Cryst say "Velat (sp) is a heretic!" to Ashe and you hear the wind blow and stuff, is one of the funniest scenes ever to me. It wasn't badly acted, or bad timed, it was just funny to me.

It made me want to go up to someone, give them a sword, then when they ask about something scream at them. >_>

Wrath`

Smash Master
I thought the Gambit system was great, I liked being able to have what I like to do in a battle on auto and then from there only worry when a situation arises where I need to use different moves or strategies. I just wish some of the Gambits were a bit more customizable. I remember that healing was based on below 60% or 40% health only, why no 50% for us with a little OCD?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Lol, I felt the same way. I felt the exact, same, way.... =/

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
At least XIII eliminated the need for a game where all you did was watch the game play itself. Though XIII lacked in many qualities, the gameplay was stunning.

I have no problem with XII's AI/gambit. I had a problem with the extremes in having to rely on them.

1) If you don't rely on them, combat becomes
  • a) [on wait mode] tedious and you'll find yourself constantly pausing the game to input/change commands
  • b) [on active mode] incredibly taxing and nerve-wrecking unless you can strategize instantaneously on fast speeds. On low speeds...you might as well play on wait mode.

2) If you rely on them
  • a) you can set your main gambits off and leave the others on. (this is the only way I managed to play the game without falling asleep]
  • b) leave only a few essential gambits on like cure if HP < 40%. This also backfires when you can mistakenly override these with manual inputs that are poorly timed.
  • c) leave all the gambits on and put the controller down. go make a sandwich or something.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
At least XIII eliminated the need for a game where all you did was watch the game play itself. Though XIII lacked in many qualities, the gameplay was stunning.

I have no problem with XII's AI/gambit. I had a problem with the extremes in having to rely on them.

1) If you don't rely on them, combat becomes
  • a) [on wait mode] tedious and you'll find yourself constantly pausing the game to input/change commands
  • b) [on active mode] incredibly taxing and nerve-wrecking unless you can strategize instantaneously on fast speeds. On low speeds...you might as well play on wait mode.

2) If you rely on them
  • a) you can set your main gambits off and leave the others on. (this is the only way I managed to play the game without falling asleep]
  • b) leave all the gambits on and put the controller down. go make a sandwich or something.
XII had some decent controls. That seems very black/whitish, your comparisons, and I think their is more too it than that.

Battle Wise, XIII is great.

Lack of equipment/customization compared to other FFs, Exploration, In depth stat grinding, etc etc... the game lacks a lot of FF rpg gameplay. It had a good Battle System, that's about it...

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I'm far from extolling XIII. I loved the gameplay. Raged over everything else.

I barely ever raged in XII. In fact, I was barely ever in the room.

Wrath`

Smash Master
The only time gambit backfired on me was when I used reflect once and then wondered why the boss was magically getting healed, other than that I only had 3 gambits for my allies. (the only gambit on the character I played was telekinesis) Gambits being (Attack Closest Monster/Attack leaders Monster if a boss fight),(Telekinesis) and (Curaga under 40%). A bare bones gambit, but it eliminates the hassle of tidiuis command picking.

How did it backfire on you?

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Get hit
(HP < 25%) Gambit: Cure
Accidentally overrode it by pressing X. Now attacking.

I don't mean to say it happens often. But when it does, it wastes time and effort.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard 14 is going to be an MMO

so 13 lacks a lot of options?

It might just be time for me to retire from the Final Fantasy franchise. I already have my eyes on an MMO and Final Fantasy just won't match up in content.

Didn't particularly like 12 either. Skipped 11 (Can't afford 2 MMO's)

10 was the last one I really played - and didn't like it much

PS1 was the glory days

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm far from extolling XIII. I loved the gameplay. Raged over everything else.

I barely ever raged in XII. In fact, I was barely ever in the room.
Yeah, bar the battle system everything else fell apart. Aside from graphics, of course. That's too important these days.

The only time gambit backfired on me was when I used reflect once and then wondered why the boss was magically getting healed, other than that I only had 3 gambits for my allies. (the only gambit on the character I played was telekinesis) Gambits being (Attack Closest Monster/Attack leaders Monster if a boss fight),(Telekinesis) and (Curaga under 40%). A bare bones gambit, but it eliminates the hassle of tidiuis command picking.

How did it backfire on you?
Yaizmat casts Reflect. You Cast Renew. Oops. I saw that on Youtube.

Get hit
(HP < 25%) Gambit: Cure
Accidentally overrode it by pressing X. Now attacking.

I don't mean to say it happens often. But when it does, it wastes time and effort.
It can be annoying, but it's still fun XD I'm with you though, that waste time a lot for me.

I heard 14 is going to be an MMO

so 13 lacks a lot of options?

It might just be time for me to retire from the Final Fantasy franchise. I already have my eyes on an MMO and Final Fantasy just won't match up in content.

Didn't particularly like 12 either. Skipped 11 (Can't afford 2 MMO's)

10 was the last one I really played - and didn't like it much

PS1 was the glory days
PS1 was epic. PS2 was good too. XI was great if it hadn't been such a time sink. What MMO are you looking at? FFXIV looks AMAZING, but 13 dollars month + 3 dollars a character isn't worth it to me. I could buy PS3, 3DS games with that money, or better yet, go out with my girlfriend and company lol. I think my MMO days are over as I'm 18 now, and I think I've grown out of my life revolving around video games, and that's what MMOS seem to do.

I love old games, I'm a dinosaur like AVGN except for JRPGS. I'm getting a PS3 mostly because half teh PS1 games that are 50+ dollars are on PS online for wayyy cheaper. (That and, PS3 has some great American and a few J Rpgs)

Still, I wouldn't retire. SE usually makes some good stuff after bad stuff, it's a cycle they follow. XV should be epic.

Really though, I'm halfway wanted to play XIV, but half of me knows I won't have the time. College, Girlfriend, Work, non-MMO games... I'd never have time. Now that I think about it 80% of FFXI's players were
A) Middleschool/high schoolers
B) Poor people without ambition
C) Really Rich people without the need to work all the time
D) Moms/Dads who mooch off the other

I no longer fit in any of those 4 =/

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
You do realized that you more or less summed up just about every JRPG ever made, right?
Lol if you ever want to oversimplify things, it basically applies to all games. In Melee, all you do is press the little buttons and jostle the sticks around. Sticks and not just one stick because THE PROS USE THE C-STICK. P:

Wrath`

Smash Master
Is there any way to beat CC on your own? I mean I got to the boss at the end of the final level and just got wrecked.

Top Bottom