• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I havent really struggled with any FF. Except for maybe, 3 for DS because of its incredibly bad save system. It made me RAGE. I havent played 2 and 5. :/

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I havent really struggled with any FF. Except for maybe, 3 for DS because of its incredibly bad save system. It made me RAGE. I havent played 2 and 5. :/
o.0 Well, you didn't play II, so you're excused. III's always had a horrendous save system. It was just like that in the original Famicom version. Also, the save system in the original FF wasn't so great either.

I didn't really enjoy the remake of III. Sure, they spruced it up but somehow, it was still very lifeless and tacky.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm replaying Final Fantasy Master Quest for SNES because I failed to finish the game a long time ago. I can't decide which Final Fantasy I like most. =P

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Now that I think about it, what do you guys think was the hardest Final Fantasy? For me it's II.
Final Fantasy II was the hardest for me. Like you said, if you ended up in some place they didn't want you, you'd get OHKO'd easily.

Second hardest for me was FFV. Strange thing is, I felt the PS1 version was easier. I didn't struggle on the last boss compared to the time I played it on the SNES. It's either I got real lucky or they made the game easier.

On the SNES version, the first form kept doing that move that'd petrify you and bring your HP down to zero. I don't think he even did that once to me on the PS1 version.

FFIV is the next hardest for me. But honestly, FF games are easy. The older ones are hard since you'd need to grind, but that was about it.

finalark

SNORLAX

FFIV is the next hardest for me. But honestly, FF games are easy. The older ones are hard since you'd need to grind, but that was about it.
Pretty much. I think the only time I didn't finish an FF game was when I was younger and really didn't have the attention span for it.

EDIT: Scratch that, I finished FF1 when I was ten.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Did you ever play Final Fantasy II?

Ugh, I remember my first time with that game. "Alright, I guess I'll take a few steps this way to see what's over her- OH MY GOD THAT MONSTER JUST ONE-HIT MY ENTIRE PARTY."
FF1 on the NES says hi. >_>

Even worse, oh wait we had this conversation.

So once I beat some games I'm going to buy FF5. Is the story any good?

finalark

SNORLAX
So once I beat some games I'm going to buy FF5. Is the story any good?
The story isn't wildly awesome and is actually pretty standard classic RPG stuff. Basically, the world is having problems because the four crystals are out of whack so you and your buds have to do set things right otherwise a very unpleasant fellow will come back and do mean things.

Nothing special, but the characters are enjoyable enough to make you care and there's enough twists thrown in to keep things interesting.

And the game play is awesome.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
The story isn't wildly awesome and is actually pretty standard classic RPG stuff. Basically, the world is having problems because the four crystals are out of whack so you and your buds have to do set things right otherwise a very unpleasant fellow will come back and do mean things.

Nothing special, but the characters are enjoyable enough to make you care and there's enough twists thrown in to keep things interesting.

All that matters.

I thought FF3 on the DS was AMAZING. I thought FFIV was okay. FFIV had a good story. FF3...really didn't care to know it had a story. Gameplay > Story/Graphics (varies on what kind of game imo)

felipe_9595

Smash Lord

I think the story is AMAZING, and the sidquest are great ;D

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think the story is AMAZING, and the sidquest are great ;D
I liked FFV's story. The only flaws I thought (for an RPG of that time) was having a weak main character and also the final villain. I haven't played it in a long time, but
did Exdeath have a reason for fighting/killing people
? I can't remember if he had a motive.

finalark

SNORLAX
I liked FFV's story. The only flaws I thought (for an RPG of that time) was having a weak main character and also the final villain. I haven't played it in a long time, but
did Exdeath have a reason for fighting/killing people
? I can't remember if he had a motive.
For you question:

I'm currently replaying it and no, Exdeath had no motive. He was just a great big douche bag who killed people and caused chaos for the evlulz.

But yeah, I felt like Bartz could have been a much better character. They give him some back story but they never really explored anything or develop him particularly well.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Once I beat some of these games I've got to get FFV. You guys make me want to play it bad.

finalark

SNORLAX
Once I beat some of these games I've got to get FFV. You guys make me want to play it bad.
I've heard the GBA version is the best one. The PS1 version (the one I own and the only version I've played) has a pretty atrocious translation (they translated Wyvern into Y-Burn, really Square?) and I think it's less difficult but it's fun.

EDIT: Those of you who played Final Fantasy X might get a kick out of this: http://www.squidoo.com/fansub

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I've heard the GBA version is the best one. The PS1 version (the one I own and the only version I've played) has a pretty atrocious translation (they translated Wyvern into Y-Burn, really Square?) and I think it's less difficult but it's fun.

EDIT: Those of you who played Final Fantasy X might get a kick out of this: http://www.squidoo.com/fansub
Which version is easier, PS1 or GBA? You make it sound like PS1 but I wanted to clarify.

That translation is LMAO.

Like Bronze Sword in Breath of Fire 2 being BrzSD and Knuckles being "Knuckdr"

finalark

SNORLAX
Which version is easier, PS1 or GBA? You make it sound like PS1 but I wanted to clarify.
I don't know, I haven't played the GBA version but I've heard that the PS1 version is the easiest out of all three versions.

That translation is LMAO.

Like Bronze Sword in Breath of Fire 2 being BrzSD and Knuckles being "Knuckdr"
Yeah, it's a pretty terrible translation. When it isn't being boring and uninspired they're doing things like translating Sarisa to Salsa or Karlibos to Karl Boss (which would actually be a good name for a musician, now that I think about it).

Get the GBA version just because the translation is ten times better.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I guess I'll toss my list here.

1. X - I loved X for the romance story, the characters, and the environments. Also, it's the only video game to ever make me cry. I just ignore X-2.
2. VIII - It's actually very hard for me to decide if this should go first or second. I loved VIII for it's character development and plot. It felt more deep and psychological, and I like that.
3. VII - Dur.
4. The rest - I really wouldn't be able to separate the rest, as none stuck out like X/VIII/VII did for me.

finalark

SNORLAX

M.K

Level 55
The only one that I've ever beaten completely through is the one with FuSoYa and the whole moon landing thing. That was great fun.
Next, the one with Bartz, Lenna, Faris, and Galuf/Krile, because I loooooooove job systems <333

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
That is FFIV Meta-Kirby, and it is amazing.

You know, I wish Square would go back to the job system in their main FF series. FFXI had a job system, which is probably why I loved it so much, but it was still an mmo.

The reason the new MMO XIV disapoints me some, is largely from the lack of jobs. Melee and Mage jobs are fully separated, meaning Red Mages and Blue Mages won't exist. It also means a class like Ninja will not be the same, either. FFXIII(not Versus) and XIV really are really just "meh"ing me.

But off of the MMO rant, and back onto what I was going to say. I feel like the earlier FFs delivered a lot more fun because of job systems. With todays technology, and the past jobs, SE could make FFXV(I guess?) a job system game..

They could have somewhere around 25ish jobs, and it'd make leveling/playing so much more fun. (As long as they don't make jobs determine stat growth, I hate that for perfectionist reasons. I like it when Stats@100 are pre-determined and final x.x)

Anyways, what are your thoughts? I just wondered if I'm the only one who misses having "Jobs" (I.E. FF1,3,5, + Tactics/TacticsAdv/A2 +XI)

Edit: That music is pure win by the way.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I love the job system in Final Fantasy games. They were fun since you got to plan out on how your characters would turn out. I really liked III and V since the job systems in those were fun.

Also, FFXII International had jobs. There are 12 different (Zodiac) jobs on the license board that you can choose from which are just like the old jobs. Once you picked one, you can't change them. Also, each one has its own license board so your characters will play differently.

I really wished they brought XII International over. Since XII lets you switch characters in and out of battle, and with a job system on top of that, I would've loved it. Maybe I'll play XII International one day just because of the jobs.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I don't like the "once you pick you can't swap" deal though. If I did I'd like FF9's jobs as well. I like it where you can master them all. FFIII, FFV, etc. It seems like they are letting their icons die. FFXIII and XIV are so... different. I miss Red Mage, Black Mage, you know? It sounds simple and stupid to most, but I always found it fun. FFXIII/XIV's graphics + that concept would be amazing. =/

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I know that within the FF fandom opinions on each installment are generally all over the map, be regardless of what you think of FFVI or VII you cannot deny that that was awesome.
Yeah it's hard to deny the win this guy possesses.

I HAD to get those on my iTunes, I listen to it like all the time.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
You can get his music on iTunes? What is his name and stuff?

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't like the "once you pick you can't swap" deal though. If I did I'd like FF9's jobs as well. I like it where you can master them all. FFIII, FFV, etc. It seems like they are letting their icons die. FFXIII and XIV are so... different. I miss Red Mage, Black Mage, you know? It sounds simple and stupid to most, but I always found it fun. FFXIII/XIV's graphics + that concept would be amazing. =/
Um, actually FFIV is going to use a job system very similar to that of V from what I've read. Basically, whatever weapon you have equipped determines your job. While leveling as that job you can learn abilities that can be used with other classes. Just like FFV.

But I agree, I miss a lot of the old classes. Why make up new ones, Square? Just use the old ones.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Um, actually FFIV is going to use a job system very similar to that of V from what I've read. Basically, whatever weapon you have equipped determines your job. While leveling as that job you can learn abilities that can be used with other classes. Just like FFV.

But I agree, I miss a lot of the old classes. Why make up new ones, Square? Just use the old ones.
But I swear I read somewhere they are making distinct differences between melee and mage, no? Which means Red Mage like players won't exist.

And you froget the XIV community is going to be XI community 2.0. They (or at least the server I was on) were very single minded. A Red Mage trying to melee Greater Colibri was lulz.

So I can see it just being like. you're either this or this, but not that. If that makes any sense...

Though, if they make it weapon/armor based like you say, it definitely puts a small safety net on the game from that happening.

If only PS3 version came out when PC did, I could start @ release... but, if I do play, I have to wait for both versions. Though I'm still partially undecided. Sounds cheesy, but I'm afraid I'll get obsessed with it like XI >.>.

finalark

SNORLAX
But I swear I read somewhere they are making distinct differences between melee and mage, no? Which means Red Mage like players won't exist.
Maybe, I haven't read anything like that so I don't know.

And you froget the XIV community is going to be XI community 2.0. They (or at least the server I was on) were very single minded. A Red Mage trying to melee Greater Colibri was lulz.
Don't forget that sometimes the game shapes the community and the reason why nobody was willing to do stuff like that was probably because of how much time it sucked up. This time things are going to be much easier.

So I can see it just being like. you're either this or this, but not that. If that makes any sense...
Who knows? I think if they can somehow transfer over what they did in FFV to an MMO successfully it might work.

If only PS3 version came out when PC did, I could start @ release... but, if I do play, I have to wait for both versions. Though I'm still partially undecided. Sounds cheesy, but I'm afraid I'll get obsessed with it like XI >.>.
I'm not going to jump on right away, I'm going to just wait a while for the reviews and player feedback before I check it out. I'm planning on getting the PS3 version since my computer kind of sucks for games.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Maybe, I haven't read anything like that so I don't know.

Don't forget that sometimes the game shapes the community and the reason why nobody was willing to do stuff like that was probably because of how much time it sucked up. This time things are going to be much easier.

Who knows? I think if they can somehow transfer over what they did in FFV to an MMO successfully it might work.

I'm not going to jump on right away, I'm going to just wait a while for the reviews and player feedback before I check it out. I'm planning on getting the PS3 version since my computer kind of sucks for games.
Well, I actually have hope for this MMO. I lost hope in FFXI when they screwed Ninja 7 times in a row.

(In a bad sense)

Do you know when PS3 version comes out? That is when I'll start playing, so me and my girlfriend (and you) could play. I'm pretty sure I'll play this, even if the job names are dumb. (Pugilist = Monk...lolol)

Unless it's terrible, then I won't. There is always that possibility.

finalark

SNORLAX
Do you know when PS3 version comes out? That is when I'll start playing, so me and my girlfriend (and you) could play. I'm pretty sure I'll play this, even if the job names are dumb. (Pugilist = Monk...lolol)
As far as I know, nobody know when the PS3 version is coming out. But I'd imagine that early 2011 is likely.

Unless it's terrible, then I won't. There is always that possibility.
At this point I'm just waiting for the reviews to come in and for some player feedback before I spend sixty dollars on the game and then pay $13 a month.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I used a youtube downloader to get the songs. *shifty eyes*

I'm not sure I like the direction the battle systems are going in the FF series.

The classic turn based is great, FF10 had it good, where it's active, but you kinda just move around your enemies a bit instead of staying completely stationary.

The materia system in FF7 I really liked too.Gold Saucer was also really cool.

I LOVED the battling with Aeons in FF10.I thought that was one of the best parts.

The Card games from 8 and 9 were really good and I really liked Blitzball too.

FF4 for some reason I really like, the storyline has so many twists and turns, even though I played it about 6 years after finishing 7 I still really liked it.The graphics didn't even matter.

I had a ****** moment against Zeromus though, that part where you have to use the crystal, took me like 10 mins to realise you had to use it.......not my finest moment.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
As far as I know, nobody know when the PS3 version is coming out. But I'd imagine that early 2011 is likely.

At this point I'm just waiting for the reviews to come in and for some player feedback before I spend sixty dollars on the game and then pay $13 a month.
I'm waiting for PS3 as well. And maybe some time after that to see if it's successful. It may suck at first, who knows, but updates can be the hands of god.

I used a youtube downloader to get the songs. *shifty eyes*

I'm not sure I like the direction the battle systems are going in the FF series.

The classic turn based is great, FF10 had it good, where it's active, but you kinda just move around your enemies a bit instead of staying completely stationary.

The materia system in FF7 I really liked too.Gold Saucer was also really cool.

I LOVED the battling with Aeons in FF10.I thought that was one of the best parts.

The Card games from 8 and 9 were really good and I really liked Blitzball too.

FF4 for some reason I really like, the storyline has so many twists and turns, even though I played it about 6 years after finishing 7 I still really liked it.The graphics didn't even matter.

I had a ****** moment against Zeromus though, that part where you have to use the crystal, took me like 10 mins to realise you had to use it.......not my finest moment.
Eh. FF7 had the best. ATB is a good concept. FF13's battle system is actually pretty pro, it's one of the few good things about it. My only complaint:

I want to play as all the characters not one. I don't like AI in that. FFXII; same problem...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681

ATB was first in Final Fantasy V.

Remember I never played 5, so I wouldn't know...

Either way you just made me realize not just did that post make no sense, but it was incorrect.

FFVI was the first ATB I ever experienced. The only "bad" ATB was FFIX's, and mainly because of the lag and slow battle time.

By the way, FFIV was the first ATB.

finalark

SNORLAX
The only "bad" ATB was FFIX's, and mainly because of the lag and slow battle time.
Don't get me wrong, I loved FFIX but the battle system was a major problem for me. Mostly because it generally felt like it could have used more polish but also the slow ATB and the terrible Trance system.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, FFIX's ATB felt a little off. It wasn't bad, but VII and VIII did have it better (faster?).
I can't really say why, but it just felt that way. I could be mistaken.

D

Deleted member

I was within 20 minutes of beating FFXIII last weekend. Then, after my marathon 7.5 hour session without saving, my power went out.

Yeah, I'm pretty well done with that game for a while.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Don't get me wrong, I loved FFIX but the battle system was a major problem for me. Mostly because it generally felt like it could have used more polish but also the slow ATB and the terrible Trance system.
Yep, by the way Final Fantasy IV had the first ATB

Yeah, FFIX's ATB felt a little off. It wasn't bad, but VII and VIII did have it better (faster?).
I can't really say why, but it just felt that way. I could be mistaken.
They worked really hard on everything, but it's clear the battles fell short. I hated the lag; I wonder if they did it to make Excal2 even harder.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I'll agree that IX had a cripplingly slow ATB system but it was far from unplayable. The game was all about reliving the Final Fantasy experience the way it once was. In a way, they succeeded. You can argue that the exclusion of Limit Breaks ruined the combat, but to the more old-school fans, that was what made the battles great.

HOWEVER

Trance itself was rather pointless and unbelievably flawed.
  • If you die, your meter resets.
  • The meter builds very marginally
  • All the effects are pretty lame
  • It cannot be activated manually
  • Should you enter Trance during the end of the battle, it'll go to waste and the meter will reset for the next battle.

-_- Why did every battle have to start with that stupid rotating camera BS? Seriously. It took forever.

And yes, IV had the first ATB system.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yep, by the way Final Fantasy IV had the first ATB.
Um.... no it didn't.

Well, that's debatable. The reason why I excluded it was because it had no bar but now that I think about it you're right.

I was within 20 minutes of beating FFXIII last weekend. Then, after my marathon 7.5 hour session without saving, my power went out.

Yeah, I'm pretty well done with that game for a while.
This happened to me with Mass Effect. I bought it, popped it in, got addicted, played for hours then.... power outage. And I forgot to save.

Top Bottom