• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Nier was trash. Their attempts to appeal to westerners get overshadowed so bad.

Their hack-n-slashes don't hold a candle to GoW or something. Even Dante's Inferno is better.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I miss Squaresoft so much. It was when they merged with Enix and absorbed Eidos that their game quality began to slump. When they were just Squaresoft, they kicked ***.

D

Deleted member

I miss Squaresoft so much. It was when they merged with Enix and absorbed Eidos that their game quality began to slump. When they were just Squaresoft, they kicked ***.
I'd have to agree on this point. Let's face it, the last 4 Final Fantasies may have been the weakest ones since the NES era. The last 4 Final Fantasies were also made after the merger. Coincidence?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Hey XI was amazing.

It wasn't like Wow-clones in that it's armor got thrown away and made better every expansion. Byakko's Haidate was amazing from 2004-2009...

It had an epic story.

I loved the community<3

I rep FFXI :p Well... from 2005-2009 anyways.

finalark

SNORLAX
^ Hey XI was amazing.

It wasn't like Wow-clones in that it's armor got thrown away and made better every expansion. Byakko's Haidate was amazing from 2004-2009...

It had an epic story.

I loved the community<3

I rep FFXI :p Well... from 2005-2009 anyways.
Yeah, but it also had a horrid interface, bland graphics and did its best to make sure the game was impossible from newbs to get into.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not exactly FF, but it is Square-related, I'm replaying Chrono Cross again. It's been forever since I've last touched this game. Even though I already loved the game as a little kid, I'm appreciating it even more now. The game's just beautiful.

As for FFXI, I never had the chance to play it, but MMOs aren't my thing.
The idea of playing with friends is fun, but I just wish MMOs had a more engaging battle system.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I never played Chross, 100%ed CT though.

As for mmos, I quit them. They ruin your life, well they can.

Fun Fact: I met my gf [whom i live with and love] on ffxi, and we live together now. Cool story xD

<3 I thank "God" I found ffxi, because I found her. :3

The story of rize of zilart/chains of promathia were bad*** none the less.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
i'm currently playing FFIV: TAY.. must say it's better than i was expecting. IV was my favorite title so seeing it being expanded on is awesome to me. No spoilers plxx

Saux

Smash Apprentice
I never played Chross, 100%ed CT though.
Ive never played cross either, but im planning on it. Trigger has gotta be my favourite snes game though, its just pineapples!

As for FFXI, i wanna play it too. Is the server still up? it looks like alot of fun, though mmo isnt really my genre. Does it have a regular story like the other ffs? or is it kinda like runescape and such..?

Annnnd FFIV is great! Golbez is one of my favourite vilians, however the dungeons were especially tedious... like the lunar sub terrain! Oh boy, awfully painful. But deffinately worth a good play, and a good re-play lol

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
FFXI sucks now. SE was good about making armor hard to get, but once you got it, it was good forever. It took me 2 years to get the Red Mage Tier 2 hat, but it was goood from 2001-2010. They did it that way. then it 2010 they release Abyssia, and make it EASY to get better armor than everything they ever made. A lot of people quit because of that.

They also randomly upped the level cap from 75 to 90, which was not needed at all. So the game is hardly a challenge now.

I was a lv75 red mage, blue mage, ninja, monk, samurai, beastmaster, and Dragoon. My GF was lv75 red mage, ninja, warrior, bard, white mage, black mage.

:3 We were the ****.

Saux

Smash Apprentice
sounds real good actually, but yeah some gay updates.. final fantasys are alot more rewarding when it took some effort to pull off a win in the battles. Has anybody played XIV? Is it any good?

finalark

SNORLAX
When is the last time you played it? I have to disagree with you on this one.
I haven't played it yet, and I know that initially got pretty poor reviews. I've heard that the game has improved quite a bit from its original state and when I get a better computer I'm planning on giving the game a shot.

D

Deleted member

Isn't XIV supposed to be making it's way to the PS3 eventually? I'll probably rent it if it does, as my computer can't handle it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
When is the last time you played it? I have to disagree with you on this one.
One of my FFXI friends spent so much money to play it. New computer with specs, etc.

It's interface covers 80% of the screen.
You could only do X amount of things a day.

Those two killed it for me. If they changed that great, but it was terrible when he was playing it on launch, that's all I know. :3

It may not be as bad as it is now, but I'll wager it still isn't great. SE has a bad past with making stuff take FOREVER to be good at. While I enjoyed doing that at ffxi, I also didn't have a job, college, etc. I had to put like 700 days+ playtime to be as good as I was in FFXI.

Maybe that won't be the case with XIV, iunno. It's just never been their nature to make something not time consuming.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So a monster hunter FF Game? (MMO on psp, XD)

Sounds neat, what is Type 0 part of though?

Matt07

Smash Master
Not exactly FF, but it is Square-related, I'm replaying Chrono Cross again. It's been forever since I've last touched this game. Even though I already loved the game as a little kid, I'm appreciating it even more now. The game's just beautiful.

As for FFXI, I never had the chance to play it, but MMOs aren't my thing.
The idea of playing with friends is fun, but I just wish MMOs had a more engaging battle system.
I hope you're enjoying Chrono Cross, one of my favourite games I've ever played. Seriously for anyone who hasn't played it, I recommend you do.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm currently playing the 20th Anniversary Edition of Final Fantasy. I've never played the original and I can easily say it's one of my favorites. An instant classic. No wonder the series has been so successful.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Legend of the Lulzgoons. :p

Squeenix game, you should get Moon Diver. Stride-esque game, was quite fun ;)

Spire

III
BRoomer
I just want Legend of Mana without paying $100+ on Amazon. That is a perfect game imo.

There's this awesome game store in Austin that supposedly has every console and more games than you could ever fathom. A friend recently told me about the place, so maybe I'll make a trip up to check for Mana among a thousand other games I'd like to pick up. Jumping Flash? Hell yeah.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
there used to be a store by me that had a huge collection of retro titles, some sealed some not.. they lost everything they had for breaking street date on some titles like black ops.. something crazy like 75k for each game, like each individual game they sold, not just per title.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well, FFXI will be dead soon. It's population has decreased so much. This is still a bad idea though.

Bad idea. They think 3 mmos will make stable income? Hardly when ffxi is dying and ffxiv is free.

Edit: My bad...double post.

D

Deleted member

Does Square understand that no one wants their ****ty MMOs? XIV epically failed, why do they think this will be any different?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Does Square understand that no one wants their ****ty MMOs? XIV epically failed, why do they think this will be any different?
Well back in the day, like 2002, FFXI did great. It actually had a good run for a mmo, I really liked it anyways. This made Square think they can just repeat the exact same thing but in better graphics for yet another result.

This is why FFXIV failed. Realizing this, they made FFXI way to easy (killed it), and everyone I knew is quitting gradually. It's dying, but it's about time for it to go anyways.

So...

A Dying mmo, a free crappy one, and a new one = more money?

Key to success with them:

-Make an IP that copies Monster Hunter (Not 0, but for real. Copy it, it'll work. Not an mmo, but an online game)
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-FFVII~FFX remakes.

Profit >_>

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I think the main issue with the MMORPGs Square made is that they were actual numbered Final Fantasies. If they were spin-off things like Final Fantasy Tactics or something, just called say... "Final Fantasy Online", I think they might have been a bit better received.

Top Bottom