• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yeah...when XI is gone one of their numerals will be gone. Forever.

On a jrpg note, I've been playing Breath of FireII. Not Squeenix I know, but close.Just found out it'd take 3,500 battles on this one island to get lv99...

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
BOF 2's a pretty good game, and I liked the whole "you get a base that's a town!" thing that seemed quasti-Suikoden-esque. I do admit I kind of liked Breath of Fire 1 and the two that came after it (so 3 and 4) better. That doesn't mean it's bad in any right, just that those 3 are really good.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Capcom -really- needs to revive the BoF series. It'd give Square Enix a run for their money, on a FF level. Seriously, the way SE is bombing these days, couple BoF with Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, etc = win.

All of this is off topic I know, but I feel this is an rpg thread. My only dislike of BoF is maxing out stats/levels is pointless and takes way to long.

If you run Ryu/Jean/Katt/Nina with Katt/Jean Shamanized...

You end up with nearly max offense on all 3 chars, and Nina is crowd control with spells.

Dragon > Charge > 400 damage(or 212) > Spell/Wfruits
Wfruit > 999 Damage > Same things > Spell/Wfruits
Repeat. Infinity.

finalark

SNORLAX
You're making me want to play Breathe of Fire again.

These days I feel that Square's decline is more or less a symbol for modern JRPGs as a whole. It's only fitting while the genre is in decline the most well-known maker of such games is too.

Although this only real counts for consoles, as JRPGs are doing quite well on handhelds.

EDIT: I'm gonna rant for a bit, is everyone alright with that? Alright, good. Okay, Square needs to pull their heads out of their collective ***** and realize that they are not as relevant as they used to be. They still think then can just slap Final Fantasy into the title and not only will the game sell like Halo 3 in 2007 but will also be the critical darling of every game critic in the world only to be slapped in the balls when they got a mixed reaction out of XIII (which I actually liked, btw) but then to they go and try TO BEAT A WORLD OF WARCRAFT EXPANSION by releasing XIV early in an unfinished state again thinking that the Final Fantasy name would cause people to over look its flaws because it has Final Fantasy in the name. Jesus, they need to ****ing accept that Final Fantasy isn't relevant to modern gaming anymore and give the ****ing franchise a rest until people become interesting in JRPGs again.

Speaking of giving something a rest, they need to knock it off with all of the countless and frankly mediocre Kingdom Hearts spin-offs. Nobody gives a **** about the handheld games, I haven't played BBS but I've heard that is the only spin-off worth your time. Chain of Memories came off as a failed experiment,
Coded was slammed with reviews, I don't know anyone who cares about Dream Drop and Days was **** and was basically Square trying to make a very Phantasy Star/Monster Hunter esque game out of Kingdom Hearts but because Square sucks at multiplayer. NOBODY GIVES A RATS *** ABOUT ALL OF THE ****TY KH SPIN OFFS. MOST OF US WOULD BE PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH KH3 AND WOULD NEVER MISS THE SPIN OFFS.

Speaking of multiplayer, your MMOs suck, Square. XI is inaccessible as **** and is sure to drive away any new players who want to give the game a shot. Making the game easier isn't how you make it so more people want to play, all you're doing is just driving away your players who enjoy the game for its challenge. Inaccessible to new players + players leaving = server population dropping and eventually a defunct game. Seriously, Square, why the hell couldn't you just limit the MMOs to their own franchise? And do I need to bring up XIV again? No? Well, I will anyway. You dropped the ball so hard on that one to the point where YOU MADE THE GAME FREE AS COMPENSATION FOR IT BEING **** ON A DISK. Around the net everyone who I have talked to that played the game says its horrible and it only excels in being pretty assuming your computer can even run the damn thing. And what the **** are you going to do with a THRID MMO? XI is loosing players, nobody likes XIV and most people agree that you guys can't make a decent modern MMO to save your lives.

Oh, and stop whoring out FF and KH and try to revive and promote some of your other franchises, alright guys?

/endrant

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well Monster Hunter has become the new symbol of jrpg imo. They are some of the greatest games ever made, and Tri was a sign btw. They wanted to test if console MH would sell well, and it did.

Capcom talks off a MH on 3DS, NGP, obviously, but also rumors at the idea of ps3/360 (since that was Tri's original idea)

Project Cafe? I hope so.

Thjat and Dragon's Dogma both give birth to the idea that they could -easily- start pumping out BoF again and screw SE over. FFVI might've overshadowed BoF, but this time I can see them doing it to SE.

Ryu, the dragon child, come on? That's so much better than Hadokens.

finalark

SNORLAX
At this point it wouldn't be hard to topple Square, given that everyone with decision making power in that company has no idea what the **** they're doing.

The only Monster Hunter I've played was on the PSP, I thought it was alright. I would give Tri a shot but at this point I'm holding off from buying any Wii stuff until I see if the Cafe interests me or not. As for Breathe of Fire, I really enjoyed the ones I played on the GBA (although that was years ago). It would be pretty nice to see the franchise make a return.

I think I would be happier with Capcom becoming the new leader in the JRPG business. Capcom is a hell of a lot more competent then Square is.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
At this point it wouldn't be hard to topple Square, given that everyone with decision making power in that company has no idea what the **** they're doing.

The only Monster Hunter I've played was on the PSP, I thought it was alright. I would give Tri a shot but at this point I'm holding off from buying any Wii stuff until I see if the Cafe interests me or not. As for Breathe of Fire, I really enjoyed the ones I played on the GBA (although that was years ago). It would be pretty nice to see the franchise make a return.

I think I would be happier with Capcom becoming the new leader in the JRPG business. Capcom is a hell of a lot more competent then Square is.
Capcom is a great company. While I suck at their main thing (SSFIV/MVC3), it isn't because they're bad, but because they require immense dedication to be good at. I lack the time for this...(High tier fighters, yo)

Also I think MH was a test to see if jrpgs could stand the test of time. Dragon's Dogma is another test, and.. maybe BoF will return.

Capcom wouldn't let Level5 own BoF because they said they had plans for it...so who knows?

Also Finalark, Monster Hunter Tri is easily the best game on the Wii. **** get it so we can hunt! :/ Me, you, my rl buddy, and my girlfriend, yo.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Last I checked, the KH dev team is STILL working on FF13 versus.
:glare:

I haven't kept up with Squenix news since FFXIII had a us release date, so can I get an full explanation on why they are in a rut???
:smash:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Store is too hard to download anything atm. It took 30 minutes to redeem my Mortal Kombat Avatar's Code. XD. Sucks because I really want to play Outland.

finalark

SNORLAX
http://uk.kotaku.com/5807713/dont-worry-in-deus-exs-dark-future-there-is-still-final-fantasy
Oh come on, do they really expect us to believe that Square can make 13 more FF games in 14 years? I'll be shocked if they get past FFXVII by then.
If we're going by the three-a-gen model which laughably feel to pieces this generation during Square's decline then it's possible. Then again, do they really expect FF to even be around fourteen years from now?

Aside from my minor rant, nice Easter egg.

finalark

SNORLAX
The lack of cool things happening is making me not visit this thread.
What can I say? FF news is slow. Wait until E3, though. I'm sure we'll get some exciting announcements there. Maybe a release date for Versus XIII, perhaps a new trailer for XIII-2, or maybe an epic anti-suck patch for XIV.

I don't know, I feel like we might get something interesting from Square.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Well, I have this really good feeling that we're going to get some good news(though Idc) on XIV, and XIII-2 info(I want this, this sequel actually needs to be made)

Aside from that, I'm just hoping for 3DS games, and maybe info on XV? You know I bashed Square so much recently, but somethings they've been doing has suprised me.

It's funny, FinalArk was right in that they're taking innitiative(sp) on making new IPs/publishing/contributing to new titles, where they're lacking success is in there main franchises. I realized DQ9 is like so different from the originals, and kinda makes that series great. FF and KH (the other 66% of the big 3) is flailing though.

KH fails from the lack of KH3, and FF fails from the lack of good installments. 13 was good, but everything else lately has been meh.

<.> I was so stuck on my hatred of Cavia to realize Square dropped them/they disbanded after Nier, lol.

I think they got this.

finalark

SNORLAX
KH fails from the lack of KH3, and FF fails from the lack of good installments. 13 was good, but everything else lately has been meh.
I agree with here. KH suffers from having too many low-quality spins off being constantly pumped out (I haven't played Coded or BBS, but I've heard that Coded was a joke and that BBS is the only spin off worth playing). If they stopped milking the franchise for all its worth on portables and just released KH3 already then I'm sure most of us would be happy.

As for KH, its a mixture between poor games and a lack of relevancy. I personally think that XIII was actually pretty damn good. Hell, a friend of mine who used to be a XIII hater actually tried to game when I lent it to him and he ended up liking it. However, it seems that public conscious believes that XIII sucked. Now, if XIII was released back in the PS2 era I'm sure that critics and fans would have been much kinder to it. And this is because Final Fantasy isn't relevant anymore. JRPGs sadly have no place in a western dominated console market and Square doesn't seem to realize this. As usual, focusing only on their homeland and wondering why their games are failing elsewhere. They haven't tried to rework the franchise to appeal to western fans, instead just hammering us with remake after remake while not trying to make the new games appeal to anyone outside of FF's fanbase and Japan.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Why should Square change what FF is just to appeal to people that don't like the series?

I wouldn't say that JRPG's don't have a place now either, there have been many JRPG's on handheld systems this generation. XIII gets a lot of hate because it did many things that not everyone will like, not because it is a JRPG. That game shouldn't represent the genre imo, especially when every game in the series has its share of hate.

Besides, JRPG's haven't been the most popular genre outside of FF, and even though FF has been losing popularity for a while I don't think the genre's place has really changed.

finalark

SNORLAX
Why should Square change what FF is just to appeal to people that don't like the series?
If they want it to stay relevant they should.

I wouldn't say that JRPG's don't have a place now either, there have been many JRPG's on handheld systems this generation.
That's why I said in the console market they have no place. JRPGs are doing well on handhelds.

XIII gets a lot of hate because it did many things that not everyone will like, not because it is a JRPG.
Despite the fact that its ridiculously similar to X, which revived a lot of praise back when JRPGs were relevant?

That game shouldn't represent the genre imo, especially when every game in the series has its share of hate.
I just think at this point Square needs another VII. Not as in another game in the compilation, but rather another game that brings mainstream appeal to JRPGs and ends up representing the genre in its era.

Besides, JRPG's haven't been the most popular genre outside of FF, and even though FF has been losing popularity for a while I don't think the genre's place has really changed.
I disagree, I think that JRPGs had quite a bit of popularity back in the PS1/PS2 era even outside of FF.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I agree with here. KH suffers from having too many low-quality spins off being constantly pumped out (I haven't played Coded or BBS, but I've heard that Coded was a joke and that BBS is the only spin off worth playing). If they stopped milking the franchise for all its worth on portables and just released KH3 already then I'm sure most of us would be happy.
Square needs to do this at E3!!

Sure the portable versions are nice but square nowadays is focusing the KH series to much on handhelds, I've yet to play either, but it's about time we console fanboys got something at least for wii if they must, even great titles such as Dissidia deserve to be seen in HD such as MGS:peace Walker

If moves like these that make me lose interest and hope of ever seeing a potentially good sequel.

:phone:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
The cool thing is, Square is actually doing good outside of their Main Franchises. They are branching out and doing new stuff, but they need to keep the center holding, y'know? Dragon Quest is the only one really doing that (I wanna play IX so bad now).

KH:

Make KH1/2 on PS3 remastered with trophies, etc. omgggg please do this.
Make KH3

Make XIII-2 (I really want this, really, really, bad)
Make XV, and make it a combination of 13 and 12.

profit.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
KH:

Make KH1/2 on PS3 remastered with trophies, etc. omgggg please do this.
Make KH3

Make XIII-2 (I really want this, really, really, bad)
Make XV, and make it a combination of 13 and 12.

profit.
QFT!!

Square needs to do what Konami has done, turn those classic's into HD along with trophies, maybe even include Dissidia in a collection, if square did this it would be the best collection EVER!!!

It would definetly ease fans up that have long awaited KH3!!

I can't wait for Final Fantasy XIII-2, hopefully even get a demo of this at e3, speaking of X-2 I would also lime to see FFX in HD, I'm still playing that game, funny thing is I haven't completed in 4yrs.

:phone:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6315324/index.html
I'm going to talk about my opinions on the stuff in this trailer. It does have spoilers for FFXIII so if you still haven't played FFXIII yet then it should be fine because you're obviously never going to don't read below.

+ = Things I like
- = Things I don't like
~ = Things I'm not sure whether I like or not/don't know what to think of them/no opinion/etc.

~ Opening shot has buildings in the background. Could make for cool settings.
~ Lightning has some sort of emblem on her breastplate. Maybe she's part of some sort of order of knights or something.
~ Serah is back and playable.
- Team Nora is back.
~ Someone (Hope?) running along one of the beaches on Jurassic Park.
+ Same battle system, Paradigm Shifts, Break meters, Tekken juggles and all.
~ New character: Noel - Dark hair, seems to be holding knives and wearing some kind of kimono.
~ Temporary party member: "Pulseworker"
+ Is that Fang? If so it would make no sense seeing as she died in FFXIII, but she was awesome so I don't mind.
+ Moogle!
- Some chick that looks like she's from the Ivalice universe.
- Bishonen everywhere.
~ "The Floor Is Lava" stages.

D

Deleted member

From the looks of that trailer, Serah seems to be very central to the story. Weird how they didn't show Lightning in battle too.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
There making a FF 13 sequel? ...

Playing Anthologies right now (V and VI) Good stuff.

finalark

SNORLAX
The Anthology translation of V is one of the most atrocious translations I've seen in all my years of gaming. When it isn't being bland and uninspired its translating Sarisa as Salsa and Wyvern as Y-Burn.

D

Deleted member

I guess we'll be seeing sequels to every main game if the trend continues. We've already had one for VII, X, XII, and XIII. I suppose they don't feel like dedicating tons of time to making a new game when they can just reuse a ton of character models and still make a successful game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
If by whatever bizarre, tiny chance they unveil the remake of FF7 (lol), I promise to go buy a PS3 either today or tomorrow.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I guess we'll be seeing sequels to every main game if the trend continues. We've already had one for VII, X, XII, and XIII. I suppose they don't feel like dedicating tons of time to making a new game when they can just reuse a ton of character models and still make a successful game.
Don't forget FFIV.

And FFXII: Revenant Wings wasn't really re-using the character models since it was 2D instead of 3D.

If by whatever bizarre, tiny chance they unveil the remake of FF7 (lol), I promise to go buy a PS3 either today or tomorrow.
If Sony announces a remake of FFVII, I'll pay for your PS3.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN GUYS.
****ING GET OVER IT.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Don't forget FFIV.

And FFXII: Revenant Wings wasn't really re-using the character models since it was 2D instead of 3D.

If Sony announces a remake of FFVII, I'll pay for your PS3.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN GUYS.
****ING GET OVER IT.
y u mad tho?

if it happens though, I'm holding you to your word on his account. LOL

Spire

III
BRoomer
Because people have been constantly talking about it ever since that damn tech demo and it's getting ****ing annoying.
Well I hope you at least recognize that it's the most desired Final Fantasy game in the eyes of the public. It would be smart on Square's part to do it at some point. The PS3 may not be the right system for such an endeavor however.

But if they unveil it, you're buying me a PS3 :awesome:

Top Bottom