• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I really hope they release FFVI on Wii Virtual Console soon. I feel like if they don't within the next 6-10 months then they never will since the WiiU will be coming out next fall and Nintendo will drop all support of their old consoles like they always do. It's already out in Japan, so hopefully it'll be released soon.
It's also been out in UK/Europe for ages, heck I seem to remember Chrono Trigger is on Virtual Console as well, do you guys have that yet?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah... my mom is EXTREMLeY picky about what i play... and those wouldnt meet her standards x_x (just 3 years and i can move out of the house DX)
If your mom wouldn't let you play any of those, she probably won't let you play FFXIV either. It's basically about as violent/sexual as those only without blood (and I'm sure you can turn off blood in WoW and most of those other games too).

It's also been out in UK/Europe for ages, heck I seem to remember Chrono Trigger is on Virtual Console as well, do you guys have that yet?
Yeah, Chrono Trigger is on VC in North America but FFVI isn't.

NoA isn't too keen on releasing games in America it seems, but that's another discussion.

finalark

SNORLAX

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Makes sense why they would remake this before any PS1 games. There's not a huge overworld with multiple city's that you have to design, just one large path. Far more linear than the PS1 games.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
and yet people *****ed about XIII. :glare:
Even though X was linear, it was still way better in that department, IMO. XIII was just constantly dungeon after dungeon.
Anyway, I'm pretty excited for this since I enjoyed X and never expected a remake (?) so soon.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Do not want. Probably going to be more of a port like the SNES FFs on the GBA, with some better graphics.

But I don't care, I'll spend my money on JRPGs I like instead. Like Persona 4. :/

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Cloud vs Sephiroth.....

I'm tired of hearing about who is stronger, who defeats whom...etc. Although cloud seems to "win" at the end of ACC, games, or what not, it is clear that cloud is no match for Sephiroth. Not only does he not train and gets his "special powers" out of nothing and has no brains(especially compared to Sephiroth), but the fact that his "victory" is solely scripted has been confirmed by the creators of the FF7 universe

Developers "It's said that Cloud was outmatched when it came to the fight with Sephiroth.
Sorry everybody who thinks that Cloud was almost on par with him: he wasn't.
Even worse for Cloud, Nomura said that Sephiroth didn't sweat during the
entire fight and never exerted himself. In other words, he wasn't even trying
hard. Cloud on the other hand was clearly giving it his all and was described
by the book as exhausted"
~Source: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/698/698416p1.html

It was made that way rather you want it or you don't want it. "good" has to win over "evil" that's the only reason why it seems like cloud emerges "victorious" where in fact he simply cannot get rid of Sephiroth. If not for his scripted wins he would be but a mere tombstone in an abandon grave site somewhere. He isn't really that good. He is actually pathetic as a character and fighter. He's made special so that people would naively believe that someone who's a regular nobody can save the world and then return to a bar. This is the way it is. Sorry but it is the truth. If you don't like it talk to the creators and give them your complaints.

Anybody have something to add? or a Valid reason why The top warrior(Sephiroth) should be taken out by a failed soldier(cloud) for no logical reason other than the fact that he is "the good guy"? Anyone?

NephilimRising

Smash Rookie
Oh for once someone has LOGIC. ;)
Generally, whenever you go and say something about Sephiroth vs. Cloud, all you get in return is rage, no reasoning. Indeed, it is tiresome. I am a HUGE Sephiroth fan and I freely admit my liking of his character, however, it is not a reason for me to be illogical. So Cloud fans should not have misconceptions about their fav character either. They may like him all they want, but you cannot like something that is just not there and aside from him being the good guy of the story there isn't much. IN FF universes, good guys ALWAYS win; sometimes there is logic in it, sometimes none at all. Cloud winning is a prime example of very feeble reasoning. Especially if you remember his background and what he was created as - as a Sephiroth clone, whose only purpose was to submit to Jenova's will and prove the Reunion theory.

Thank you for posting it! I really have nothing to disagree with. :)

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm gonna need about a full month of preparation time for ME3, so without fishing for other excuses, I will probably not be buying XIII-2 upon release.

I like that FFX is getting an HD port. It's not what anyone wanted, but it makes sense. If they port FFXII as well, I'll be satisfied with this direction. With that being said, I firmly believe that 7, 8, and/or 9 will receive proper treatment again in the future. Next generation, just wait.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm tired of hearing about who is stronger, who defeats whom...etc. Although cloud seems to "win" at the end of ACC, games, or what not, it is clear that cloud is no match for Sephiroth. Not only does he not train and gets his "special powers" out of nothing and has no brains(especially compared to Sephiroth), but the fact that his "victory" is solely scripted has been confirmed by the creators of the FF7 universe

~Source: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/698/698416p1.html

It was made that way rather you want it or you don't want it. "good" has to win over "evil" that's the only reason why it seems like cloud emerges "victorious" where in fact he simply cannot get rid of Sephiroth. If not for his scripted wins he would be but a mere tombstone in an abandon grave site somewhere. He isn't really that good. He is actually pathetic as a character and fighter. He's made special so that people would naively believe that someone who's a regular nobody can save the world and then return to a bar. This is the way it is. Sorry but it is the truth. If you don't like it talk to the creators and give them your complaints.

Anybody have something to add? or a Valid reason why The top warrior(Sephiroth) should be taken out by a failed soldier(cloud) for no logical reason other than the fact that he is "the good guy"? Anyone?
Allow me to enlighten you.

I really don't think that anyone can argue that Cloud is stronger than Sephiroth. It's just that Cloud is one of the few people who can hold their own against him. Strength is one thing, but it takes the entire character to personify someone. And why Sephiroth loses is due to his hubris and looking down on the potential of his opponents. He was clearly surprised by Cloud's will strength even BEFORE he was experimented on and injected with Jenova S-Cells. Defeating him when he was just 16, then at 21 years of age, then 2 years later. You would think Sephiroth would learn after the second time (both in his transformations and in Cloud's head).

Cloud is far more focused and intent on the kill and defeating his opponents than Sephiroth is (at least when they face one another where the latter toys with him). That's the one edge that he carries. Also, saying that Cloud didn't train and that his new powers were pulled out of thin air is a load. No one gains the ability to utilize the Fusion Sword like that (using it as a boomerang that SPLITS OFF INTO MULTIPLE BLADES) and creating copies of himself composed of his energy that can attack the opponent with seperate blades (Omnislash Version 6) without having to fight for it and learning something new. Like it or not, Omnislash Version 6 overwhelmed Sephiroth before he could have the chance to realize just how much trouble he WAS in.

That, and if Cloud is such a pathetic fighter in the first place, how come no one else has been able to finish Sephiroth off? Especially when people like Zack, Genesis, Angeal, those are the people that seem far more qualified and trained. Cloud has a gift that I like to call will. When he found himself again, and we saw it when he beat Sephiroth at the Nibelheim Reactor. Honestly he should have died then, but look what happened. He pushed forward, turned the tables and beat SEPHIROTH instead, whom was surprised.

Sephiroth is the stronger swordsman, certainly. But he suffers from what I may as well call Gilgamesh syndrome. For those familiar with Fate/Stay Night, he's a character whose immensely powerful, and would probably be nigh-unstoppable if he actually fought seriously. The only other character who may have been able to take him on when he fights all out would be Saber with Excalibur, but anyway. Long story short?

Gilgamesh is cocky, arrogant, hardly tries, and by the time he realizes he needs to step it up, it's usually too late. Guess who he ends up losing to in one of the routes, Unlimited Blade Works? The main character who is completely weak in terms of using mana and lacks experience, but his abilities completely countered Gilgamesh's arrogant style and use of Gate of Babylon. And before he could properly compose himself and take the fight seriously? Shirou had already won. Same thing for Sephiroth really. He lost to Omnislash, remembered it and countered CLoud for it, but when Cloud escalated to a new degree of power with Omnislash Version 6, he overwhelmed Sephiroth and amounted the right offense to claim the victory.

Sephiroth is his own downfall in the end, and even then it says a lot about Cloud's strength to be able to do it THREE TIMES when no one else has managed to so much as lay a finger on him. Clearly Cloud's desire to protect what he had left in the world turned out to be stronger than Sephiroth's pride and desire to destroy the Planet.

Call him what you will, but when you look at the grand picture from a storyline perspective and not just some "good must triumph over evil" thing, there's a reason why Cloud keeps defeating Sephiroth.

[EDIT]

And no offense dude, but you don't exactly make for a good argument when you're saying Cloud has no brain. You make it sound like you're a Sephiroth fanboy. Disclaimer, yes I am a Cloud fanboy, but I at least acknowledge he should stand no chance against Sephiroth (when he's trying) and justify the reasons WHY he wins in the end outside of you resorting to "lol copout".

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I agree with Kuraudo.

I'd make a huge post too but I'm lazy and I'll just say this.

The reason why I love Sephiroth so much is because he hasn't ever used his full potential in a fight. I like that he toys with his opponents with his overwhelming strength. I like how he doesn't care for the win because he knows he can take it at any moment.

Also, @Nibelheim indecent: Cloud really didn't defeat Seph he kinda just did a cheap shot when Seph's back was turned. Then the following events that happened after were do to Seph being mortally wounded.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
True. But who was the doofus that's trained to be aware of enemy attacks from behind, only to get stabbed by the guy who wasn't even in SOLDIER. :awesome:

Just playing. Though it was a defeat nonetheless. Sephiroth defeated Aerith with a cheap shot, didn't he? LOL

[EDIT]

calling Sephiroth a doofus makes me giggle for some reason. It's so silly.

NTA

Smash Lord
Final Fantasy X HD for PS3 and PS Vita Announced at TGS 2011

According to Square Enix producer Shinji Hashimoto during Sony's Tokyo Game Show press conference, the PlayStation 3 and Vita update is being created in celebration of the game's tenth anniversary.

Unfortunately, neither a release date nor Final Fantasy X HD gameplay footage is available yet.

To quote from GamingEverything.com (linked above): "A representative said that development is progressing, but didn't share any actual details. He told fans to be patient for updates.

For those wondering, the project will be a HD port/enhancement of the PlayStation 2 title."

I"m looking forward to this since I lost my old memory card and PS2 game before I could beat it. Doesn't seem like it would have any kind of compatibility with old PS2 gamesaves though since the removal of PS2 and PSX support on the newer consoles.

NTA

Smash Lord
Square Enix Reveals Final Fantasy XIII-2 PS3 and Release Date

Following up on their Final Fantasy X HD PS3 and PS Vita announcement from this year's Tokyo Game show, Square Enix have also revealed a http://tgs.playstation.jp/lineup/ps3/#M3P_20_F132 PS3 and release date today.

Similar to the White Final Fantasy 13 PS3 Bundle, the Final Fantasy XIII-2 PlayStation 3 Lightning Edition version 2 console's character design is also done by Tetsuya Nomura.

To quote from Andriasang.com: "Square Enix announced today a final release date of December 15 for Final Fantasy XIII-2. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game will be priced ¥7,980.

The PS3 version will also be released as part of a hardware bundle called 'PlayStation 3 Final Fantasy XIII-2 Lightning Edition Ver. 2.' Priced ¥37,960, this includes a 320 gigabyte hard drive.

Overseas, the game will be released in North America and Asia on January 31. The European release is set for February 3. Square Enix did not say if the special PS3 will be released outside of Japan."

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I read all that for nothing <_<. How can anything you say not go under the category of "good guy wins"?. You typed all that just to say what everyone says about every villain to be defeated. It's just like the scene in movies where the bad guy most take the time to explain everything so that there is enough time for his plans to be foiled. Yeah it's his fault but it can't happen any other way because the bad guy has to lose somehow. My only point is if they crossed paths somewhere else(deadliest warrior for example) no way can this cross dresser possibly win. Why not create a worthy protagonist? Why have someone just get beat up for a few minutes and they get what I call the hero's epiphany. When....

A) They remember someone dead they are fighting for
B) notice a random object laying around they can use to win.
C) use the dragonballs to save themselves
D) get aid from their trusty sidekick
E) get so mad by one of the villains insults that their strength doubles.
F) gain a new skill
G) get ****ed up and then win during a cut scene.
H) suddenly gain power because they are "the chosen one"
I) let out a fart which leads to an attack that results in victory
J) say to themselves "oh wait i'm the good guy" followed by sudden victory.
K) All of the above (Rare)

Is it too much to ask for something new? Something better at least than what I've been getting?

Spire

III
BRoomer
When it comes to sheer physicality, Sephiroth wins. Within the context of the story, Cloud wins. Screw the "Deadliest Warrior", we literally have a Final Fantasy brawler now. According to the Dissidia tier list, Cloud is two tiers above Sephiroth, so within the context of that series, Cloud wins. Cloud wins in all known entries of the Final Fantasy VII series as well. I think what is most important is that Cloud and Sephiroth are rivals. They were created to quarrel. Square can do anything they want with the story and franchise so I say there's truly no argument. Cloud is designed to beat Sephiroth, as Link is designed to beat Ganon. Taken out of the context of Hyrule and all its magic, Ganon wins hands down. Same with Sephiroth.

Furthermore, I don't see Cloud as the true source of victory over Sephiroth. As Jenova is a plight to the planet and Sephiroth her corrupt extension, Cloud is but an extension of the planet, a WEAPON himself if you will. FF7 is largely about transient spirituality throughout an entire world. Jenova is earth's enemy, and we play as characters from around the planet, so we are essentially playing as Earth. That's FF7 to me at least.

:phone:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
@ Spam Arrows

u mad?

Mario is just some little italian plumber. Bowser is a gargantuan beast. Mario kicks his *** anyway.

Deal with it. The good guys win, but usually not without the villain really messing some stuff up in the end. I explained that Sephiroth's own arrogance is why he loses to begin with. You pretty much just ignored what I said or didn't get the point of it entirely.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well, I remembered reading that long ago, so I googled and confirmed with the gamefaqs tier list. It may not be accurate, so feel free to contest it.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I can understand why they're re-making 10.

11 is already a current game, easy to port. 10 was used with PS2 SDK, and it is almost trivial to port over to ps3 and filter the graphics and character models. If they were to re-make 7, 8, or 9, they would have to make the game from scratch with nothing to base off of except the tech demo they made 5 years ago, which they probably don't have the source for anymore now that I think of it.

It's a better business move. It will cost next to nothing compared to completely redoing any of the ps1 games.

Although I want the ps1 games remade more, I would rather they follow their current strategies. If they were to re-make ff7 from scratch, for instance, it will be a hit or miss. I can understand updated graphics and sounds effects. But the soundtrack for instance, I want untouched. No remixes. This is just a personal pet peeve that I am sure many ff fans share. There are so many different factors that could leave the game inferior to the original in terms of presentation.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
AFAIK this is the most recent tier list for the original Dissidia
http://dissidiaforums.com/showthread.php?6727-Dissidia-Tier-List

The short version is that (on an S through E scale) Sephiroth is A tier and Cloud is C tier.

Dissidia 012 only came out 6 months ago and the Dissidia community is really small and disorganized, so I'd be shocked if they came up with a tier list for that already.

But yeah, Spire, idk where you're getting your information on tiers. For original Dissidia at least, Cloud is ridiculously slow and can only get good damage from stages with lots of walls and small stages, meaning that he can get counterpicked for free to something like the FFV stage and zoned like crazy. He just has a ton of trouble getting in and when he does he has to be a punishing character because all his attacks are so slow and easily telegraphed. Sephiroth is also kind of slow but is at least faster than Cloud and he has more range, can punish better, and can zone better. Sephiroth is just better overall, and in a matchup against Cloud the Sephiroth player usually wins. Cloud is only really better if he uses his infinite, but Dissidia tournaments usually ban infinites (and I think Sephiroth may have one too).

They're both free to Zidane, Terra, and Kuja though so it doesn't matter that much.

This is all for original Dissidia btw. I've never played Dissidia 012 and I don't intend to.

EDIT:
gamefaqs tier list.
That explains it. >_>
Come on Spire, don't you know better than to trust GameFAQs for these sort of things?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Lol duder, I'm on my phone at school. just trying to get my thoughts out quickly.

Seeing a far more accurate tier list, my support for Sephiroth is justified that much more. See, Cloud doesn't "win" in everything.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Even so, if you just google "dissidia tier list" the second link takes you to that same forum as the link I posted.

Never ever ever trust GameFAQs message boards. Ever.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Ah Gates beat me to it, that's what you get for editing and then going away for ages :p

Dissidia 012 doesn't have a tier list yet but I watch a lot of videos and read around and it's metagame looks horrible lol. ExDeath and Sephiroth especially look ridiculously good and I think Feral Chaos will be banned when a agreed ruleset is made

I almost got a PSP just to get the game but competitively, it doesn't look very fun. They also nerfed Terra to high hell and back which upset me :(

Gates

Banned via Warnings
ExDeath was considered really powerful in the original Dissidia too at first, then people found some moves that went through All Guard and started mindgaming the **** out of ExDeath players. Basically ExDeath players would get counterpicked by character's who had stuff he couldn't All Guard (Terra's Flood, Kuja's Ultima, Emperor's traps) and people just stopped playing him because of it.

Or does ExDeath have real attacks now instead of being nothing but counters and a teleport? Because that would be pretty threatening.

Terra kind of needed a nerf in the original Dissidia. She was a phenomenal zoner and in EX mode she basically turned into Kuja, another phenomenal zoner. Holy was also glitched in the original Dissidia so that you could use it, dodge cancel, use it again, and if the first one hit you could still hit confirm it into her HP attacks that linked off of it (I think it was Flare and Ultima?). Bartz had the same glitch available to him and when I played Bartz I abused the **** out of it, with most of my matches being decided with me at the top of the screen spamming Holy down at my opponents. I ASSUME this glitch has been fixed, and if so then she's probably just at a reasonable level instead of being completely terrible. If they did this and gave her Onion Knight level damage, THAT would be bad.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Read an actual book instead of playing video games, reading manga, and/or watching anime. You'll probably find what you're looking for.

Smooth Criminal
I have read more books than I care to count. Some of which farther disappointed me However I've come by some good ones.

When it comes to sheer physicality, Sephiroth wins. Within the context of the story, Cloud wins. Screw the "Deadliest Warrior", we literally have a Final Fantasy brawler now. According to the Dissidia tier list, Cloud is two tiers above Sephiroth, so within the context of that series, Cloud wins. Cloud wins in all known entries of the Final Fantasy VII series as well. I think what is most important is that Cloud and Sephiroth are rivals. They were created to quarrel. Square can do anything they want with the story and franchise so I say there's truly no argument. Cloud is designed to beat Sephiroth, as Link is designed to beat Ganon. Taken out of the context of Hyrule and all its magic, Ganon wins hands down. Same with Sephiroth.

Furthermore, I don't see Cloud as the true source of victory over Sephiroth. As Jenova is a plight to the planet and Sephiroth her corrupt extension, Cloud is but an extension of the planet, a WEAPON himself if you will. FF7 is largely about transient spirituality throughout an entire world. Jenova is earth's enemy, and we play as characters from around the planet, so we are essentially playing as Earth. That's FF7 to me at least.

ohhh your getting deeeep on us now ;).

I agree for the most part minus Cloud being 2 tiers above Sephiroth but someone's already posted an actual chart on it so...whatever

@ Spam Arrows

u mad?

Mario is just some little italian plumber. Bowser is a gargantuan beast. Mario kicks his *** anyway.

Deal with it. The good guys win, but usually not without the villain really messing some stuff up in the end. I explained that Sephiroth's own arrogance is why he loses to begin with. You pretty much just ignored what I said or didn't get the point of it entirely.
your explanation wasn't ignored it was simply invalid. Sephiroth is arrogant and he toys with cloud because HE HAS TOO. Just as villians in other films stall for enough time to be thwarted.

I agree about Mario...how the hell is he a plumber with the **** he can do?

finalark

SNORLAX
I have read more books than I care to count. Some of which farther disappointed me However I've come by some good ones.
98% of everything is crap. The amount of books, games and movies I found disappointing heavily outweigh the amount I thought were actually good.

And honestly, books tend to be better at telling stories than any video game or Japanese cartoon (although there are a very few exceptions).

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
ExDeath was considered really powerful in the original Dissidia too at first, then people found some moves that went through All Guard and started mindgaming the **** out of ExDeath players. Basically ExDeath players would get counterpicked by character's who had stuff he couldn't All Guard (Terra's Flood, Kuja's Ultima, Emperor's traps) and people just stopped playing him because of it.

Or does ExDeath have real attacks now instead of being nothing but counters and a teleport? Because that would be pretty threatening.

Terra kind of needed a nerf in the original Dissidia. She was a phenomenal zoner and in EX mode she basically turned into Kuja, another phenomenal zoner. Holy was also glitched in the original Dissidia so that you could use it, dodge cancel, use it again, and if the first one hit you could still hit confirm it into her HP attacks that linked off of it (I think it was Flare and Ultima?). Bartz had the same glitch available to him and when I played Bartz I abused the **** out of it, with most of my matches being decided with me at the top of the screen spamming Holy down at my opponents. I ASSUME this glitch has been fixed, and if so then she's probably just at a reasonable level instead of being completely terrible. If they did this and gave her Onion Knight level damage, THAT would be bad.
Just to clarify, I don't actually play either of the games, I just love watching them :p

From what I've gleaned from videos, ExDeath does have a couple of real attacks but the really dangerous stuff is his teleport and blocks still - the new Assist system works in that doing something regardless of it hitting builds up your Assist meter. ExDeath can mix up spamming teleports and blocks to build up Assist and iirc he's got a move that requires charging but hits you anywhere. Make a mistake and you'll get hit by a HP attack, then attacked by a Kuja assist and then get hit by another HP attack. Oh and just about all of his attacks cancel into blocks

This is sort of what I'm on about

Feral Chaos lols as well, although it's more to do with the stage

Terra sucks now (Onion Knight is actually alright :p) because the range on Holy and Blizzara got halfed, possibly more (although for Holy, this isn't always a bad thing since it's harder to reflect it back at Terra and hit her with it) - most people use Thundara instead of Blizzara because the range nerf crippled it. Meteor is more spread out iirc so it doesn't hit as well. Her attacks are slow, very very easy to reflect and moves like Meltdown give you plenty of time to react and block back at her. Fire combo's in a HP attack though and that's about the only decent thing she got, everyone else got buffed and the new characters are all pretty good. That Holy glitch is still there but it's nowhere near as good because Holy's range got nerfed so much

Decent example of how Holy and Blizzara got nerfed

Oh and Ex Mode is utterly useless now, takes forever to charge and damage is pathetic. Your better off using something called Ex Revenge which freezes your opponent for a while

It's a shame really, I think SE tried to nerf Ex Mode and implement the Assist System to balance things out but it didn't really work out - some would probably argue it makes things even more unbalanced

Don't take my word for it though because I don't actually play the game, I just read about it and watch lots of videos on. I think ExDeath, Sephiroth and Kuja are a few of the top characters excluding Feral Chaos who they'll probably ban once they sort out a ruleset

Gates

Banned via Warnings
From what I've gleaned from videos, ExDeath does have a couple of real attacks but the really dangerous stuff is his teleport and blocks still - the new Assist system works in that doing something regardless of it hitting builds up your Assist meter. ExDeath can mix up spamming teleports and blocks to build up Assist and iirc he's got a move that requires charging but hits you anywhere. Make a mistake and you'll get hit by a HP attack, then attacked by a Kuja assist and then get hit by another HP attack. Oh and just about all of his attacks cancel into blocks
So basically he gets meter for whiffing counters and teleports? That's pretty annoying. Can't other characters do similar things too? Like Gabranth's EX Charge?

But yeah, this is basically the equivalent of Storm running away and spamming j.HP to build meter while she calls Sentinel/Commando/Psylocke/Magneto/Cable/etc.

Also, EXP to X abilities are legal now? I thought that **** was banned because of the wide variation on Special Days and stuff.

Oh hey, it's the theater stage from the beginning of FFIX! Cool.

But yeah, Square (and Nintendo for that matter) needs to put more thought into what makes a poorly designed stage when they're making stages. That whole time it was like Sephiroth was trapped in a box and just got ***** by Chaos' huge range.

Terra sucks now (Onion Knight is actually alright :p) because the range on Holy and Blizzara got halfed, possibly more (although for Holy, this isn't always a bad thing since it's harder to reflect it back at Terra and hit her with it) - most people use Thundara instead of Blizzara because the range nerf crippled it. Meteor is more spread out iirc so it doesn't hit as well. Her attacks are slow, very very easy to reflect and moves like Meltdown give you plenty of time to react and block back at her. Fire combo's in a HP attack though and that's about the only decent thing she got, everyone else got buffed and the new characters are all pretty good. That Holy glitch is still there but it's nowhere near as good because Holy's range got nerfed so much

Decent example of how Holy and Blizzara got nerfed
Wow, yeah that is a pretty big nerf. All they really needed to do to fix Holy was to fix the Holy glitch I described above, but it looks like they decided to nerf something completely different and make her a worse character because of it. And why isn't Flare chaining to Ultima correctly after Holy?

Meltdown was never really that good though because of the charge time required.

Oh and Ex Mode is utterly useless now, takes forever to charge and damage is pathetic. Your better off using something called Ex Revenge which freezes your opponent for a while

It's a shame really, I think SE tried to nerf Ex Mode and implement the Assist System to balance things out but it didn't really work out - some would probably argue it makes things even more unbalanced
Is EX Revenge what they call EX Burst now? ie. that thing that happens when you activate EX Mode to break out of a combo? Because doing that has always been way better than just raw activating EX Mode since it staggers the opponent for a free HP Attack into EX Burst.

EX Meter does seem to build much, much more slowly in this game though.

But yeah, it's pretty obvious from both Dissidias that Square doesn't really know how to make a fighting game lol.

Top Bottom