• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
DQIX has grinding, but... I can't say why but I enjoy it. You never have to grind to beat the game, though. It's merely just to be OP and stomp everything. The extra missions require it, though.
In DQVIII you had to grind like a mother just to survive the first dungeon. Grinding is fine if its optional IMO, but when you force it on the player its just fake game play lengthening.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
In DQVIII you had to grind like a mother just to survive the first dungeon. Grinding is fine if its optional IMO, but when you force it on the player its just fake game play lengthening.
The same happens with DQIX.
You have to grind to at least level 12 to have a good chance to get through the first dungeon relatively unscathed, but after that you don't really need to grind until a few boss fights.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, Final Fantasy I is a constant grind. That game is hard.
I remember that the only reason why I was able to progress through that game as a kid was because I spent so much time wandering around trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing to the point where I was usually over leveled by the time I got to where I was supposed to be.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I haven't even been able to finish FFI yet, not because of grinding but because I keep getting lost on the freakin' world map, it's ridiculous.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I haven't even been able to finish FFI yet, not because of grinding but because I keep getting lost on the freakin' world map, it's ridiculous.
Likewise. And since they don't give you a handy map to look at, it makes it just boatloads of fun to navigate.

This is why I stopped playing the game. Beat Lich and Marilith. I'll go back some day.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
The same happens with DQIX.
You have to grind to at least level 12 to have a good chance to get through the first dungeon relatively unscathed, but after that you don't really need to grind until a few boss fights.
I never had to grind O.o I made it to Contagion without grinding, then did it soley for the metal slimes.

<.<

finalark

SNORLAX
Oh, its worth mentioning that Square threw in a new item in FFXI to make the game ****ing playable for new players.

Or you know, they could have just scaled the monsters in the starting areas down but that would be doing something smart with their MMO.

OmegaXXII

I played FFXI briefly, I was a bit overwhelmed with the environments, too bad it was laggy for me:/

XII was better, those awesome Judges were difficult for me.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
XI used to be pretty awesome. I have a pretty cool story from it, at least. ;)
But my favorite class (Ninja) was always sub-par =/

Also, they broke their pattern. Unlike WoW where items got outclasses every 2years it seemed, in FFXI if you got Byakko's Haidate, it was the best leg piece for Ninja, Monk, Warrior, etc, from like 2004-2010. They broke their pattern when they started raising level caps and making easy obtainable armor.

Teh sux.

finalark

SNORLAX
Also, they broke their pattern. Unlike WoW where items got outclasses every 2years it seemed, in FFXI if you got Byakko's Haidate, it was the best leg piece for Ninja, Monk, Warrior, etc, from like 2004-2010. They broke their pattern when they started raising level caps and making easy obtainable armor.
In WoW if you had some decent gear from raids that would carry you through the expansions without you having to replace most of it until you started raiding again.

And there's really no point in keeping the best for you class continuously the best because after you get it there's basically no point in going any further. Then again, in XI you could freely switch classes, so that means that you could spend quite a bit of time getting the best gear for all of them.

EDIT: Well, at least Square is trying to make XI accessible for new players. The problem is that the game is ancient, hasn't done anything to fix that and its modern counterpart (XIV) is just as bad. Honestly, I think the only people who still play XI are clingy folk that are really attached to the game and don't want to see years of playtime wasted away. IMO Square should just close XI's servers and focus on making XIV good.

finalark

SNORLAX
*bump*

Some minor but interesting news. LittleBigPlanet 2 is getting FF7 related DLC in the forms of costumes for Sackboy. The costumes available will be Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, Vincent and Sephiroth. They will be priced at 1.99 each or 5.99 for the whole set. And you only get Vinny if you get the complete set.

I wouldn't cross my fingers from any other FF characters, seeing how Square seems to be only interested in monopolizing off of FF7's legendary status amongst JRPG fans.

Sauce: http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/07/final-fantasy-7-lbp2-dlc/

OmegaXXII

Why does Sephiroth have glasses?

I can't wait for FF XIII-2, too bad we're probably never going to get a remake of FF VII. :(

:phone:

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Sooo... how about that rainbow pudding?

I think this is 2 days of killing yellow flan in ff4 w/o a single rainbow pudding drop. **** YOU NAMINGWAY.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So I had the realization I miss teamwork. I had the 2nd realization that Monster Hunter isn't good teamwork because 90% of it isn't localized.

So, considering FFXIV around November. Gotta finish some games first, and handle some stuff. I bashed it a lot, but I've been reading the updates, and it looks better. Until PS3 release, me and my gf have to take turns, but anyone here play it? :3 We could do stuffs.

finalark

SNORLAX
So, considering FFXIV around November. Gotta finish some games first, and handle some stuff. I bashed it a lot, but I've been reading the updates, and it looks better. Until PS3 release, me and my gf have to take turns, but anyone here play it? :3 We could do stuffs.
I have a friend who plays, he says it feels like Square just tried to remake XI with very minimal modern updates but the game has been improving but he doesn't feel like its enough to warrant a buy yet. I'm holding out until the PS3 version is released and it gets re-reviewed before I pick it up, personally.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well see, I want an XI-like game. I really just want to play XI casually, but I can realize that in a year or two it's going to crash. It's running out of updates fast.

XIV looks a lot better since launch, and I've got to get a computer regardless. Since it's free... I think me and my gf may take turns playing very casually till the ps3 release. Then me and her can team up (and my friend irl)

At least that's my plan.
Everything I read says "It's getting better, but no new content"

Well...I'd rather them fix glitches than make new content. Also, in their defense, people online keep saying "XI didn't have these problems" Wrong. The first launch year of XI was JP only, and it was pretty darn bad. I can't believe I'm defending them, lolz.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well see, I want an XI-like game. I really just want to play XI casually, but I can realize that in a year or two it's going to crash. It's running out of updates fast.
What do you mean by an "XI-like game?" Because I'm pretty sure that there is no way to play XI casually.

XIV looks a lot better since launch, and I've got to get a computer regardless. Since it's free... I think me and my gf may take turns playing very casually till the ps3 release. Then me and her can team up (and my friend irl)
I probably would have picked it up already if my computer didn't suck.

Well...I'd rather them fix glitches than make new content. Also, in their defense, people online keep saying "XI didn't have these problems" Wrong. The first launch year of XI was JP only, and it was pretty darn bad. I can't believe I'm defending them, lolz.
Yeah, pretty much. All MMORPGS are pretty poor when they first launch.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
XI has changed so much dude, abyssia is casual. Dynamis-esque end game is like dead now.

I still want to play a fresh mmo, not a 7+year old one.

XIV looks like a casual[er] XI, and it has so much potential. The lack of content is excused by the fact this new dev team has been getting rid of most of the glitches. They say that comes first, then content.

And yeah, it's hard to "build" an mmo. People give XIV a lot of hell[me included], but it's getting better. >.>.

finalark

SNORLAX
XI has changed so much dude, abyssia is casual. Dynamis-esque end game is like dead now.
Really? Well, from what I've seen with the new trailers on Steam Square does seem to be making XI more casual-friendly. I would give it another chance but I don't feel like paying a monthly fee again for a while.

XIV looks like a casual[er] XI, and it has so much potential. The lack of content is excused by the fact this new dev team has been getting rid of most of the glitches. They say that comes first, then content.
I still don't think that XI is particularly casual friendly. But I'll take your word for it. Regardless, I do agree that fixing glitches comes first.

And yeah, it's hard to "build" an mmo. People give XIV a lot of hell[me included], but it's getting better. >.>.
Yeah, there's a lot of variables in building one that you just can't be certain about. There's still no excuse for using outdated game design, especially after WoW made the entire genre accessible to people outside of the usual group of lifeless dudes.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Well, I'm just going from what my friend says. He works full time, school, and gets stuff done on XI barely playing. So it might be. I'd play, but I want a new mmo, something fresh.

XIV looks even casual(er); Square even wants a limit on quests so you're not on 24/7. I'm actually pretty excited to play it tbh, but I've gotta save up for this laptop I'm getting. So it's going to be until like October... but then again, it's not going to be until then the next 3 big updates are done or w/e. So it works out :D

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ TOR?

God I miss my Ninja on XI sometimes. It sucks now, but I had near haste cap(23/25%), full Dual Weild enhancements, ~88% Acc on high level mobs, etc. >_> I held hate off Samurais man... and Paladins.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Well if they're doing that for the cutscenes while trying to make it look prerendered at the same time, no wonder it's taking so long.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
1. I think you mean groundbreaking. Game breaking is usually not a good thing.
2. It's not really even that ground breaking. MGS4 had cutscenes where Snake and Otacon were talking in their home or wherever and you could control the Metal Gear mark II. You'd even get bonus face camo for bumping into people during these cutscenes, meaning that you could do the unthinkably awesome and turn the game into Metal Gear Otacon. Heavy Rain was also pretty much just one big interactive cutscene.

Top Bottom