• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I should just camp Bowser with blizzard and ice shots. Push him to the edge and then hit him with uair if he tries to jump over or grab him, if he tries to roll away. Try not to hit his shield with smashes/aerials. Go for a lot of grabs. That's pretty much the match up for me. However, I'm most likely not going to play against him, unless I lose to Matt or he beats Scar.

Don't know how I feel about DEHF. From what I see it looks like he plays the match up rather safe. No crazy shield pressure. His main strategy seems to be jump in and shine with Falco then double jump away when the ICs are together. If he hit with the shine and the climbers split up he will go for Nana and kill her rather quickly. If the shine was shielded he will jump out of reach and try again. Now, the videos I've seen are over 3 years old, but I think it's a strategy he most likely still would be using today. He looks pretty solid.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
Mattdotzeb has been moved from my pool and replaced with Pseudoturle, a player I've never heard of. Apparently he plays Ganon, so it seems like I'm going to feel dat NTSC punch for the first time.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
oh LOL

wow what a relief

well i did spend several hours last night perfecting the sheik vs peach matchup so.. all is not lost LOL. any preparation is good preparation

this cort is named Hugo Cortez

oh also i figured out that wavedash back + ftilt is one of the few ways that you can actually control the pace vs falcon. pretty dang reliable, reminiscent of sheik's main strategy vs falcon

Binx

Smash Master
oh LOL

wow what a relief

well i did spend several hours last night perfecting the sheik vs peach matchup so.. all is not lost LOL. any preparation is good preparation

this cort is named Hugo Cortez

oh also i figured out that wavedash back + ftilt is one of the few ways that you can actually control the pace vs falcon. pretty dang reliable, reminiscent of sheik's main strategy vs falcon

Oh snap, ill have to try out that forward tilt strat, does it work vs anyone else?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
That Cort is HugQ. He's a pretty solid Samus.
ah thanks so much for the heads up. that helps a lot! if it ain't darrell it's done

Oh snap, ill have to try out that forward tilt strat, does it work vs anyone else?
mm maybe, but i only use it for falcon. his running jump speed is comparable to our wd back so it's more likely to hit him than other characters

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
see ya bro good luck in your pool

edit:

watching fly's set vs KK since i don't have sheik players to train with

man fly that set is so good

well on your part at least

kk made a lot of bad decisions

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Mango looks very predictable, he for sure is fearing Wobbles ICs :D
If there is a rematch tomorrow dont forget to turn pause off!

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Des anyone else think that there should be a separate tier listing for SoPo as he is (in all honesty) SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than reg. IC???

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Every time I see Wobbles play I get a huge urge to play this character but they're just too damn hard

Amazing amazing showing at EVO Wobbles, completely blew everyone away

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I don't play Ice Climbers at all but Wobbles your performance was inspirational, entertaining, and all-around remarkable. Six digits worth of people are all still in awe of your performance an hour later. Amazing.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
Revival of ICs boards? wobbles you have always been my hero and your hard work has finally paid off. I think alot of people will pick up ice climbers in the near future after being insired by you and then probably most will drop them once they figure out they cant just grab and hit a fast. I hope some will stick around for the long battle that is playing ice climbers.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm gonna chime in here.

I picked up competitive Smash in 2006 because of Chu Dat. After getting more involved in the scene I bounces around characters and stuck with Falco for a while. Wobbles, you have always been on my radar, and have reignited my motivation to relearn this character back in 2011. This tournament has confirmed my desire to stick with the Ice Climbers. I hope this is not you're last tournament, but if it is, you have been an inspiration and motivator to me, and I thank you for that.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Watching Evo was a huge inspiration for me as well. I always knew that ICs were capable of keeping up with the best of the best but some reinforcement always helps. Noticed tons of little tricks I'll be trying to implement into my own game soon!

Engo

Smash Ace
Ladies and gentlemen the highest caliber IC's play of all time... Congratulations Wobbles!

I think what gave Wobbles an edge was not so much wobbling but the fear of being wobbled. And he definitely used that to his advantage.

edit: Also anyone else think IC's with wobbling are as good if not maybe better than falcon?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think one can make the case that ICs are better than Falcon, but I'm still not sure. The thing is that Falcon does much better against Peach, Samus, Ganon, and the Mario Bros. which imo are some of ICs weaker matchups aside from Fox. ICs are obviously better at the Sheik, Falco, and Jiggs matchups though.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Also congrats to Wobbles for being rechristened Wobblez by the stream and by every news outlets' results reporting I've seen

Wobbles the Phoenix has been REBORN AS WOBBLEZ

Wobbles may retire but Wobblez will carry on for twelve more years

...then be reborn as Wob$

noobird

Smash Journeyman
let's not forget wobbles taking out hbox with SOPO. or has his tag officially become wobblez lol

ZeroHackerX

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone. I am relatively new to smashboards. I have been playing melee for a while but haven't really decided who to main yet. I really like to learn ICs and would like to main them but don't know where to start. What are some important things to learn and threads to read first? what techniques are really important in learning first?

There are a lot of guides/threads in the IC subforum and I am a bit overwhelmed. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
Fly's Guide is a great place to start, it introduces the main differences of ics from other chars and explains basic characteristics of the char. If i can offer any advice i would say dont focus on wobbling despite what you saw at EVO, learn how to move and what your strengths and weaknesses are as ics. It can be frustrating to work on alot of the tricks ice climbers possess but i can guarantee you will never run out of things to improve. Good luck on your practice and if you have any specific Q's dont hesitate to ask as we are all learning.

Binx

Smash Master
Read Flys and Choks guides, then consult the matchup guide if you have any specific questions on what you should be doing vs a character. Also if you can post a video here we can point stuff out.

Top Bottom