• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Silvair

Smash Rookie
I've got a question.

So, when performing hobbling or the dthrow -> fair chaingrab, is it true that Ice Blocks make the victim stand up, unable to roll away or get-up attack? Because I cannot seem to get that to work at all. Ever. Period.

Is there something specific in the timing? Or ... ?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
If its a percent lower than (35?), then they will stay standing up.

At the higher percents, all you need to do is buffer the ice block, unless they tech it, they will always get up right after.
If you wait too long, then it wont work at all.

Silvair

Smash Rookie
If its a percent lower than (35?), then they will stay standing up.

At the higher percents, all you need to do is buffer the ice block, unless they tech it, they will always get up right after.
If you wait too long, then it wont work at all.
Okay, so, basically, post the 'get on the ground' hit, I need to be hitting the b-button so that popo hits the opponent with an ice block almost instantly?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Okay, so, basically, post the 'get on the ground' hit, I need to be hitting the b-button so that popo hits the opponent with an ice block almost instantly?
Pretty much. The should hit the ground, then about 5 frames later be hit with Ice Block.

don't practice the bthrow hobble ice block forced getup on bowser, it doesn't work
Err, I dont think I've said it before so I'll tell you now.

Boswer's get up animation is too fast for Back Throw and Forward throw hobbling, The ONLY working hobble on him is D-Throw hobbling.

It works a lot like F-throw hobbling, except the timing is easier. The biggest problem I have with it is that sometimes you may accidentally buffer a jump with popo , then throw the Ice Block.

My question to you all is how to I handle the Diddy MU? I'm trying to gain some MU experience and need adivce.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
You can totally regrab from it. It causes his regular get up animation like hobbling on anyone else. You just usually have to b-reverse the ice block because he lands behind you.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Snakes Ftilt:

What to do against it - Run away, Shield, Blizzard.

What not to do against it - Get hit, Spotdodge/Roll.

Snakes F-tilt is ********, those are really the only options I can think of. If they misspace it and are in you face during the first hit you can shield grab before the second hit comes out.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
TBTC: If you're REALLY good at shieldlag desynchs, you can actually double shield drop, double powershield (requires two shield buttons). It's REALLY hard, but it guarantees you a grab.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
"everything that follows is a result of what you see here."

i suggest you go talk to elev8. he's probably the best IC in your state.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Hey could anyone help me with my grab game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQiMYGWhdVM

In that vid lain does a grab from 1:36 to 1:40 and i just cant figure out how he does it. Could someone please explain to me how you do that grab? Oh and is it infi? Like is that grab 0-death?

Thanks
Not gonna spoon feed you the answer (nor do I believe anyone else will >.>), please at least look through the information in stickies.

If there is something about that information that is unclear (which is likely, since it hasn't been updated in some time), then mention what is unclear. Referring to what you don't understand in one of the guides, or a post with an explanation at least shows that you attempted to use all of the resources available to you before asking.

The IC's boards should have their very own bot to post something like this automatically =P

Iceberg

Smash Rookie
Go on youtube and just look up guides on how to chain grab. Im sure you will find what your looking for ;)

sauc3

Smash Lord
Hey could anyone help me with my grab game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQiMYGWhdVM

In that vid lain does a grab from 1:36 to 1:40 and i just cant figure out how he does it. Could someone please explain to me how you do that grab? Oh and is it infi? Like is that grab 0-death?

Thanks
For metaknight,

1. grab with popo, wait for nana's grab animation to be over.
***2. hit "back + grab" to regrab with nana (popo throws mk to nana)
3. hit "down" to triggor down-throw with nana.
4. walk a bit, and hit grab once you see/hear mk hit the floor (popo will grab mk from nana)
5. Repeat until high percents (usually around 110%), then smash (with popo since he's stronger)

*** for step 2, the back + grab speeds vary from character to character, but for mk you hit them at almost the same time, but if it isn't working trying grabbing a tiny bit after hitting back. Also, when you hit back, in step 2, hit it with authority, so nana pivot grabs, instead of dash grabs, it will make you walk less in step 4.

This is posted somewhere, although it isn't that easy to find, so I can understand why people always post this question here. So everyone, go easy on them. :)

Chain

Smash Rookie
I have a question. My play style is chain grabbing and i was wondering if someone could tell me all the characters that can chain grab. I havent been playing chain grab style for very long but once i picked up on ice climbers i just cant quit it lol.

So the characters i know of that can chain grab are ICs, Falco, G&W, D3. Im not sure about any other characters so if you know of any please tell me.

Oh and does kirbys Fthrow then Uair repeat count as a chain grab?

Thanks ^^

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Sauc3, there was absolutely no reason to voice it when there are plenty of guides everywhere.

EDIT: Chain, G&W doesn't have any cg at all, if you're talking about D-Throw, you can tech it to get away.

CG'ing in general is a broad term, as there are character specific things that can happen. For example, Marth's Grab release infinite on Squirtle (which can lead to Dair).

sauc3

Smash Lord
I have a question. My play style is chain grabbing and i was wondering if someone could tell me all the characters that can chain grab. I havent been playing chain grab style for very long but once i picked up on ice climbers i just cant quit it lol.

So the characters i know of that can chain grab are ICs, Falco, G&W, D3. Im not sure about any other characters so if you know of any please tell me.

Oh and does kirbys Fthrow then Uair repeat count as a chain grab?

Thanks ^^
lol, chain grab style...

pikachu, forward and down (for a bit)
ike forward against wall
peach down (for a bit)
wario down (on bowser)

some characters have chaingrabs at like 0 with lol-di, and some characters have grab releases that combo into more grab releases (like yoshi and marth), if you count those, really who cares if kirby's fthrow-uair "counts" as a chain grab, it works (kinda, the repeat requires lol-DI)

+ gaw and snake have tech chaseable grabs if thats ur thing

Sauc3, there was absolutely no reason to voice it when there are plenty of guides everywhere.
lol, is it that big a deal? besides the videos on youtube either have no directions, or are outdated with crappy instructions. And the threads are kind of a pain in the *** to navigate through, and this person just wanted a quick answer, which i gave. My bad?

Chain

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks. But like what are the main characters that can 0-death chain grab? Or 0-100% chain grab?

Im mainly looking for the top 2 or 3. Im thinking IC's, Wario, Pikachu. But what do i know... im a noob xD.

So like if you could just tell me the best chain grabbers in the game that can work on almost any character that would be great ^_^

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
There are characters that can 0-death w/o a grab.

Like sheik on some of the spacies.

DDD's another more obvious one to come to mind that wasn't mentioned.

Edit: nevermind, D3 was mentioned :p

Chain

Smash Rookie
Well do you know of all the characters shiek can 0-death ftilt with?

Im always looking for ways to where my opponent cant do anything at all because i love doing 0-death cgs and combos on them.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Ok thanks. But like what are the main characters that can 0-death chain grab? Or 0-100% chain grab?

Im mainly looking for the top 2 or 3. Im thinking IC's, Wario, Pikachu. But what do i know... im a noob xD.

So like if you could just tell me the best chain grabbers in the game that can work on almost any character that would be great ^_^
Like I said, character specific. Also, chain grab style, really? ... <_<

Sauc3, I try my best to ninja these boards, and the guides online are fine as they are, or else no one would know how to cg now.

EDIT: Chain, just know that your opponent will most likely know about this and have ways to avoid it. And why not search through all the boards carefully instead of posting?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If you really, really like infinites, then ICs are your best bet.

They have a relatively high learning curve though (usually depends on the player, but for most this is the case).

Sheik's ftilt lock works on Fox and Wolf iirc.

Chain

Smash Rookie
Alright thanks for all the help :)

Oh and i do main IC i was just looking for an alt or a few alts that could easily do 0-death cgs.

Again, thanks for everything guys. I hope to talk to you all again pretty soon ^^

J4pu

Smash Champion
My first main was Falco, then I picked up Pika right before the Dthrow CG was discovered, I've played sheik ever since I started wifi (which Ive stopped playing because I hate it so much, but sheik's still cool), and now I have switched mains to IC's, I've always liked Bowser (he has grab release shenanigans) and D3 as well.

Does this mean I have a "chain grabbing playstyle?"

sauc3

Smash Lord
Sauc3, I try my best to ninja these boards, and the guides online are fine as they are, or else no one would know how to cg now.
for the record, i learned to chain grab on my own (tediously), cuz the videos on youtube sucked, and I hate reading through pages and pages of people asking how to chain grab then people answering "its posted on the boards, look it up", since clearly thats what i'm doing (and failing), and also, reading a tutorial is like reading a bad novel, when **** can easily be explained in 5 simple instructions

And why not search through all the boards carefully instead of posting?
cuz posting is way easier, and doesn't require you to spend 20 minutes searching and reading,

also chain, only ics have true 0 to death combos, and if that isn't enough then brawl isn't for you.

play melee, or better, 64, its chalk full of them.

Top Bottom