• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I personally feel DLC discussion has been rather civil, at least more than pre-release.

I mean we could have a Ridley 2.0 if K Rool isn't revealed and a Dark Pit 2.0 if the indies are revealed, but fortunately, there isnt a lot of evidence that similar meltdowns could happen. Maybe I'm just being really optimistic.

Strange how third parties helped calm this community down. Detractions seem to be more common with first party characters lol.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
As a character, yeah, I doubt Steve will happen. I can't really come up with a good argument against him (And I haven't seen anyone else come up with a very solid one either), but I can't see him getting in over other popular, requested characters. He'd look bizarre in Smash, they'd either have to take a lot of liberties with his movements and animations (Steve isn't very limber in Minecraft) to the point that he wouldn't act like Steve, or they'd make him like he is in Minecraft, rigid with little animation, which would probably look extremely bad compared to other characters in the game.

Basically, gut feelings because I KNOW THINGS GUYS I PROMISE!!!

Now, as a Mii costume, THAT I could see happening. Either a Diamond Armor Swordfighter or a Creeper Hat, something like that would be perfect.
Even though you're correct, in my opinion the biggest problem is the difference in demographics between the fans of the two games. Even though there are also young fans of Smash 4, the overall audience is MUCH older. Not to mention the more vocal fans tend to be the older ones. Just look at this thread, the opposition against minecraft Steve is fairly venemous. I imagine the venom is way worse outside of Smashboards, where people are more, er, liberal with their manners.

Of all things I wouldn't worry about the rigidity, there are tons of animations of minecraft that look natural. However, Sakurai takes priority to sticking to the original source, which would be really difficult with Steve without it looking weird.

I really like the idea of Mii costumes though.

Wall of text? have some nice VGM. If im going to own the VGM group I may as well use some.

I leave the thread for a day hoping quality would improve.

i come back and it seems like it got worse. . . Looks like my time in this thread is over. No idea how we managed to be worse than the old general thread in a week and only be downhill from there.

I suppose I am required by cliche to have a goodbye speech most of you wont bother to read.

First off we as a community are way too aggressive. The ballot slander campaigns made it obvious. It should have stopped but never did. Even with the ballot over and jockeying to make your character look better no longer having a purpose there are still lots of people at each others throats. Refusal of allowing people to have a different opinion being the usual suspect. Opinions paraded as facts being #2. This thread has become increasingly guilty of the second over the past few weeks. . .

Barring that we are also way too close minded and stubborn. Ironic based on how much worse things got after Cloud making people jump to absurd 3rd parties but I digress. People go into small shells of support and never leave. This leads to bandwagons and refusal to accept anything out of a small group. This is why so many great additions have been hated because they didn't follow the hive mind. Looking at you Duck Hunt. Poor fellows. May i remind everyone pig ganon was pretty much never brought up even with his moveset potential and many many appearances until far after release? People stick to one idea (in this case say. . .impa) and never let go. If they dont get that one thing it's a catastrophe.

Then the fan rules. . .so many fan rules. They get broken all the time. "must have a deep history" "can't be a fighting game character"
The list goes on. And we don't stop. The second that "must appear on a nintendo console" was broken we IMMEDIATELY made a new one saying all 3rd parties must be iconic. We keep getting things wrong without sources and then it bites us and we don't stop. It also heavily affects speculation. Many characters are picked just for on reason or another and wind up not getting in over another interesting character that never sees the light of speculation because of it.

EX takamaru vs duck hunt.
Just because you have a lot of appearances means nothing. Just because you are popular means nothing. We need to stop looking at things like they are a shoo in and realize Sakurai thinks about a lot of things we clearly dont. But then we act like we know.

I dont know. I dont claim to even if I act like it. But none of us know and we keep acting like we know every angle. Look a little broader. See what the other options are. Break a limit or two because clearly we arent looking hard enough if we keep getting surprised and angry. :4cloud:

I suppose my final argument will be the one I love to make so many times before. Reps. Dear god we need to stop pushing this one so hard. Especially because we dont even look deeply into it. We act like being a bigger series and larger sales is a huge deal. And in some cases it is.:4mario: Others. . . less so .:4dk::4marth: We fight against and for things simply because of what symbol they would have. (This is why the DK support icon thread was great. I should abuse my group mod powers and revive it). Yoshi characters with no real existence were often pushed just to get a yoshi character. Mountains are made out of molehills just for the sake of "repping a series." Half the characters we say are a big deal really aren'y. And clearly Sakurai doesn't care. Or we would have Toad and a bunch more mario and pokemon characters. We certainly wouldnt have 2 mother characters. We absolutely would not have 4 FE characters (well 3.5) and then go ANOTHER one as DLC. Regardless of what we thought about reps.

As for "we dont look deeply." I men we dont look past the CSS. Do you realize how many stages, AT, and items LoZ has? How many AT Metroid got? Hell the most important characters all have some form of "active" (aka not a trophy) role. AT, boss, playable (and ZSS lmao). Just because we dont have a little stock icon for these messages doesnt mean it doesnt exist >_>

uhh TLDR. stop being so aggressive. Stop using so much tunnel vision. Realize there is more out there then just a few popular things.

And more importantly. Support who you WANT. Even if they dont seem likely. Tell that to these guys :4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4lucas::4wiifit::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4robinm:. It's more fun anyway. My top 4 are all unlikely characters (Viridi, Ridley, Edea Lee, Wonder Red) and im okay with that and have never been more accepting of what comes my way. And MOST importantly. This is only a game. Have fun and live a little. Live in harmony, not hatred as we do now.

I'll be in Nintenzone or my character support thread group if you need me. Or maybe my VGM group if anyone would like to contribute GLHF

-Zebei
the typo master formerly known as Oni333

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Wall of text? have some nice VGM. If im going to own the VGM group I may as well use some.

i come back and it seems like it got worse. . . Looks like my time in this thread is over. No idea how we managed to be worse than the old general thread in a week and only be downhill from there.

I suppose I am required by cliche to have a goodbye speech most of you wont bother to read.

First off we as a community are way too aggressive. The ballot slander campaigns made it obvious. It should have stopped but never did. Even with the ballot over and jockeying to make your character look better no longer having a purpose there are still lots of people at each others throats. Refusal of allowing people to have a different opinion being the usual suspect. Opinions paraded as facts being #2. This thread has become increasingly guilty of the second over the past few weeks. . .

Barring that we are also way too close minded and stubborn. Ironic based on how much worse things got after Cloud making people jump to absurd 3rd parties but I digress. People go into small shells of support and never leave. This leads to bandwagons and refusal to accept anything out of a small group. This is why so many great additions have been hated because they didn't follow the hive mind. Looking at you Duck Hunt. Poor fellows. May i remind everyone pig ganon was pretty much never brought up even with his moveset potential and many many appearances until far after release? People stick to one idea (in this case say. . .impa) and never let go. If they dont get that one thing it's a catastrophe.

Then the fan rules. . .so many fan rules. They get broken all the time. "must have a deep history" "can't be a fighting game character"
The list goes on. And we don't stop. The second that "must appear on a nintendo console" was broken we IMMEDIATELY made a new one saying all 3rd parties must be iconic. We keep getting things wrong without sources and then it bites us and we don't stop. It also heavily affects speculation. Many characters are picked just for on reason or another and wind up not getting in over another interesting character that never sees the light of speculation because of it.

Just because you have a lot of appearances means nothing. Just because you are popular means nothing. We need to stop looking at things like they are a shoo in and realize Sakurai thinks about a lot of things we clearly dont. But then we act like we know.

I dont know. I dont claim to even if I act like it. But none of us know and we keep acting like we know every angle. Look a little broader. See what the other options are. Break a limit or two because clearly we arent looking hard enough if we keep getting surprised and angry. :4cloud:

I suppose my final argument will be the one I love to make so many times before. Reps. Dear god we need to stop pushing this one so hard. Especially because we dont even look deeply into it. We act like being a bigger series and larger sales is a huge deal. And in some cases it is.:4mario: Others. . . less so .:4dk::4marth: We fight against and for things simply because of what symbol they would have. (This is why the DK support icon thread was great. I should abuse my group mod powers and revive it). Yoshi characters with no real existence were often pushed just to get a yoshi character. Mountains are made out of molehills just for the sake of "repping a series." Half the characters we say are a big deal really aren'y. And clearly Sakurai doesn't care. Or we would have Toad and a bunch more mario and pokemon characters. We certainly wouldnt have 2 mother characters. We absolutely would not have 4 FE characters (well 3.5) and then go ANOTHER one as DLC. Regardless of what we thought about reps.

As for "we dont look deeply." I men we dont look past the CSS. Do you realize how many stages, AT, and items LoZ has? How many AT Metroid got? Hell the most important characters all have some form of "active" (aka not a trophy) role. AT, boss, playable (and ZSS lmao). Just because we dont have a little stock icon for these messages doesnt mean it doesnt exist >_>

uhh TLDR. stop being so aggressive. Stop using so much tunnel vision. Realize there is more out there then just a few popular things.

And more importantly. Support who you WANT. Even if they dont seem likely. Tell that to these guys :4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4lucas::4wiifit::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4robinm:. It's more fun anyway. My top 4 are all unlikely characters (Viridi, Ridley, Edea Lee, Wonder Red) and im okay with that and have never been more accepting of what comes my way. And MOST importantly. This is only a game. Have fun and live a little. Live in harmony, not hatred as we do now.

I'll be in Nintenzone or my character support thread group if you need me. Or maybe my VGM group if anyone would like to contribute GLHF

-Zebei
Nicely worded. Agree with every part you said in the post.

I myself have a couple of characters that while not 'possible' I still support as ever like Ridley and, for the moment, Ray from Custom Robo. (Excluded K. Rool but I can see him as plausible if things go right...). Most people just have went for the 'not likely-I don't agree with you...-USALT?!' instead of the more fun and harmless way of speculation for this series.

As I heard from a podcast yesterday about videogames that adressed Cloud's inclusion and the anger that followed with it, which has been dumb.

At the end of the day, this is just a videogame. Something to pass the time. FOR FUN. And instead, people treat it as a rather 'SRS BUSNES'.

I think a fitting quote I have seen someone share in its sig, for this situation is:

"I love Smash Bros. but I HATE what it has become..."

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

-Zebei
First, I AM THE TYPO MASTER!!!!!

:)

But seriously:

^^^^^^^^^ THIS, THIS AND EVEN MORE OF THIS!

The reason that part in particular made me want to reply to this thread that I never go to because of......well pretty much every argument he said is simply because that argument in particular is something I personally lived.

It is about when the ESRB leak videos got released, i was still OP of the Paper Mario thread since months already. Instead of simply accepting the fact he wouldn;t be in like I did, a lot really flammed dr mario /(I don;t think I need to explain why but basically, [people thought dr mario was hindering him).

The problem?

HE GOT A FREAKING STAGE FOR GOD SAKE!

I am not joking, but to this day, I am more worried about the salt reaction if Paper Mario isn;t in then him not being there in the first place. Like, the series went to quite partial and poor repping to huge full repping with the trophies and a freaking stage......with a TTYD segment, I clearly had no reasons to ever complain, but a lot of others did........

Look, if there;s one character you support in particular, would you ever say no to have a stage specifically related to that character?

I expect you to not only say yes, but I also expect that you would give a lot to have it happen, it;s only logical if you support.

Like, the least I wanted is a music, he got much more than that......

Then i realised that that argument.....is pretty much the truth everywhere. So i really question, do people ONLY think characters matters?

Because I can;t imagine ssb with ONLY the characters that matters tbh, it;s as if everything else is ignored while stages tbh are next to the characters in the level of importance which is a big deal still.

So really, I am kinda disappointed in how the speculation only turned out about characters and repping.......the game is much more than that anyway.....

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339

-Zebei
Sucks to see you go.

I guess I've been blissfully unaware of recent "fan rules" and other character related salt. Outside of possibly the discussion of Minecraft Steve, I haven't seen many users act incredibly hostile on this thread.

You still have good points, though. We should all just support who we want. Hope you enjoy the December Smash Announcement :)

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Not only closed minded, but also a little too eager to jump the gun and shoot characters down. I enjoy talking about characters like Master Chief and Steve that are fun to speculate about even if they have little chance of making it in, but for whatever reason it escalates into a "Omg that character will never make it into smash because of this and this and this". We know that already, but is it wrong to talk about characters that have a close to zero percent chance of making it in? I can't help but feel like some people are insecure about the characters they support, especially ever since Cloud came out and used one of the DLC spots.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
And people keep sayinh Hyrule Warriors won't leave any impact on the overall series and would never be represented in Smash. :rolleyes:

Hyrule Warriors' Impa, when?
Pretty much every Zelda Character that was playable in HW or HWL is a pretty viable option for being a Zeld Rep in smash.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Well I hope not everyone leaves. I'm far less active than I was on the old board, and even there, it wasn't that active heh... but I still have been up to date on the going ons with the advancement of dlc news, the game in general, and other entertaining information and insights through you guys. So here's to still sticking to it and working on the mentioned ugliness. We're all capable of showing a little respect.
I'm happy to point out I'm guilty of it too. I got my first warning the other day, so obviously I have areas where I can improve to spare the already toxic environment from being worse than just a simple convenient common area for discussion.

Last edited:
Okay I need to ask this question and then possibly (most likely) a follow up based on the responses I get, How many of you would prefer the ballot character be a first-party character rather than a 3rd-party/indie character?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Okay I need to ask this question and then possibly (most likely) a follow up based on the responses I get, How many of you would prefer the ballot character be a first-party character rather than a 3rd-party/indie character?
It doesn't matter whether they're 1st or 3rd party if I don't like the character itself.

I'd prefer Banjo-Kazooie over King K. Rool, and if the roles were switched and King K. Rool wasn't owned by Nintendo...I'd still want Banjo-Kazooie more.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter whether they're 1st or 3rd party if I don't like the character itself.

I'd prefer Banjo-Kazooie over King K. Rool, and if the roles were switched and King K. Rool wasn't owned by Nintendo...I'd still want Banjo-Kazooie more.
I understand that but it's not really what I was asking. Some people are completely opposed to the idea of more 3rd party characters or just prefer certain 1st party characters and I kinda just wanna see how many people here feel that way.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I myself would much prefer first-party characters from here on out... Except Banjo and Snake. I want them more than any first-party.

I'm old-fashion, though, and stubbornly catagorize Banjo as first-party (even though Rare Replay was absolutely fantastic this year and made having an XBOX worthwhile).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I understand that but it's not really what I was asking. Some people are completely opposed to the idea of more 3rd party characters or just prefer certain 1st party characters and I kinda just wanna see how many people here feel that way.
I answered the question exactly as it was presented.
However, I'll answer it in a more specific way.

I would prefer the "ballot character" (I don't think there's a ballot winner honestly) to be 3rd party guest character.

We got 10+ new Nintendo characters added in the base game, I think it's fair to let dream characters like Cloud have their fun for downloadable content.
Especially given the Fighter Ballot, which specifically says you can vote for "a video game character". Not "a character", not "a Nintendo character". A "video game character".

It seems to me that Nintendo was poised from the outset to make the requests for guest characters happen for DLC if they heard voices for it, and I'm not opposed to that at all.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
First party.
Honestly with Ryu and Cloud I'm pretty content with the third parties, despite neither being the third parties I somewhat supported. Actually in all fairness, Sm4sh has been fantastic for third parties in general even in the base game, and is probably my favourite part of the game's roster.
It'd be nice to see a Nintendo newcomer now though. We've had two veterans, we've had two third party newcomers, can we get two Nintendo Newcomers now?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
To be fair, pretty much every Nintendo newcomer I want...definitely isn't happening.
The only one I think could happen is Inkling simply because Splatoon is so goddamn popular right now.

(FYI the Nintendo newcomers I want include Toad YoshiandToad YoshiandToad , even though I don't actually like him very much)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
(FYI the Nintendo newcomers I want include Toad YoshiandToad YoshiandToad , even though I don't actually like him very much)
You are good people Kenith. In all fairness I'd be content should Banjo make the cut too. When did you stop gathering out of interest?

----

On topic; Any guesses to when we'll get Cloud everyone? This year? Next year before March? Place bets nooooow.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
Im almost completely sure that cloud will be released with the next smash direct which is happening later this month, I'm guessing within the next week or 2 since we're already like mid December.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You are good people Kenith. In all fairness I'd be content should Banjo make the cut too. When did you stop gathering out of interest?
No need to gather when you have everything!
On topic; Any guesses to when we'll get Cloud everyone? This year? Next year before March? Place bets nooooow.
I cannot see Cloud not coming out this month.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Cloud is absolutely this month, right after the direct. There hasn't been a character release since June. That's a full six months, so it probably isn't as if he's not done. Personally, I'm surprised he didn't come out right after the trailer last month.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Smash Direct confirmed for the 15th via Nintendo of America's Twitter! :D

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Nintendo of America just tweeted out when the direct would be happening. Its on December 15 @ 2 PM. They themselves even said its going to be the final presentation.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
H Y P E B O Y Z

But seriously, less than a week to go! There's other announcements coming tomorrow anyway, right? There was no way it was going to be this week anyway.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The 15th? Looks like I guessed right! Can't wait to see what all they have in store for us! #FreeWolf tho

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm sitting here praying for Bomberman, Ice Climbers, and King K. Rool.

Just a week away!

#Hype #Bombs #Climbing #Reptiles

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I swear if Wolf doesn't make it. I'll throw a mildly enraged sigh and be dissapointed for a day.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Finally! One week before knowing what will come alongside Cloud or Smash DLC!
Also I made a Bingo two weeks ago about the broadcast, this deconfirms one case:

Not that I'm expecting everything here to happen of course. It's a bingo, not exactly a prediction list.
This also all but confirms the column 5 line 3 case, but for my defense I did this before Sakurai said "I'll explain more about Cloud in the Smash presentation" in an interview, and after all we put Twilight Princess HD in our November Direct bingo sheets (which was basically guaranteed to happen).

Is anyone else ready to make their own Bingo sheets? I'm really curious to see the final outcomes :awesome:

(And besides did anyone else notice the lack of Street Fighter series icon in the background of the NoA picture? Sure it's a DLC only series, but still kinda surprising.)

Serell

Smash Apprentice
*smash direct on 15th*

*important finals due on 16th*

Welp, guess who's failing their finals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom