• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Personally Critiqued by Pierce. OP Updated 11/18

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Pierce is going to personally make you better at Brawl.

That's right, you. Yes, the person reading this right now, you. Directly, and personally.

Here's how this is going to work, I am going to post up a schedule of times when I will make myself available for 1 on 1 sessions to do an IN-DEPTH critique a video of your choosing. This means that we will both be discussing the video second by second, as I analyze every aspect of your game-play, and give you direct tips and tricks on how to improve.

I am renown for being able to determine what a player is thinking while watching a video, so don't worry too much about that. Anyone who has received an in-depth critique from me before will testify that they are typically very helpful and insightful.

[Collapse=Possible methods of contact]
AIM = Pierce7d
MSN = ultrasnide@hotmail.com
Skype = Pierce7d
[/Collapse]

Obviously, there is not an unlimited amount of time in the world, so this service will be first come, first serve. In my next post, I will put up available time slots that I will be free to do a critique. These will generally be a half hour, but may be more. It will never be less, because I will need the full half hour to critique a 6 minute video.

You will only be allowed to schedule one session per block. Blocks will be clearly defined, and will be determined based off of how popular this service becomes.

You will only be able to reserve the specific available times, and only after they are posted. Except for this first posting of times, you will know in advance when new available times will be posted.

All times listed are EST (my timezone). That's GMT-5.

[Collapse=Suggestions for picking a video (these factors are not mandatory)]
Pick a video that you lose in
Pick a video against a skilled opponent
Pick a video where you played exceptionally well, but probably not your best match ever.
Pick a video with no self-destructs.
Pick a video from 2 and a half to 6 minutes.
Trim any excess fat from the videos, such as a long amount of time in the beginning of the video that is not actually part of the match.
Pick a video that is in high quality.
Pick a video that is recent/relevant
Preferably a starter stage. I have no problem critiquing videos on CP stages at all, but if you pick a starter stage, it will be a tad bit easier not to get caught up on stage specific things, and I will be able to focus more on elements that transfer over. Sometimes, a lot of things just don't apply to Brinstar.
Preferably MP4. They seem load faster on YT. Remember, this isn't mandatory.
[/Collapse]

Asa has kindly offered to upload videos for those in want of a critique. I would suggest sending Asa a VM or a PM to arrange this. Alternatively, you can seek help in getting a video uploaded in this thread.

[Collapse=Video Requirements]
Videos MUST be a three stock, 10 or less minute match.
You MUST have at least 50 posts on SWFs to qualify for a video critique. This ensures that people have spent at least a minimal amount of time in a quality setting, and hopefully did a little studying and homework, to flesh out at least some of the basics of their game play. In the end, this helps everyone.
Videos must be uploaded to YouTube.
[/Collapse]

At the end of the critique, I will ask for a Critique Evaluation. Please send me a SWF PM that contains the following:

[Collapse=Critique Evaluation Form]
Subject: Critique Review (You don't need your name or any details, I will employ common sense.)

Did you enjoy the critique session?

Do you feel that the session will help you improve your game?

Did your questions get answered? If not, what questions do you still have?

Please include any more ways that you feel Pierce could improve this service, either within the actual session, or overall.

[/collapse]

If you do not include a critique review, you will be ineligible to participate in any future critiques. You also will not receive the bonus play-by-play analysis. You are required to do the critique review for each session you have with me, not just the first one.

Please give time for the play-by-play analysis to get to you. It may take several weeks, because doing them takes long, and I like to do a good job.

TO SIGN UP FOR A CRITIQUE you must fill out the following form, and POST IT in this thread.

Desired Time Slot INCLUDING THE DAY
Link to video
One method of contact: AIM username, Skype username, or MSN Username

[collapse=Guidelines to scheduling an appointment] Please do not include multiple forms of contact, or I will not know which one to use. If you want to include a back-up method of contact, then you must clearly specify that it is a back-up.

If you do not use AIM, MSN or Skype, we can probably work something out. Please specify that. Assume I do not already have your contact info, and include it regardless. I won't wait more than one messenger, and I need to know which one we are using. If for some reason, you fail to fill out the information all correctly in ONE POST IN THIS THREAD, your appointment will not be scheduled. This is because I create links to your posts in the actual schedule, which make it very easy for me to see everything I need to know for the session all in one convenient spot.

If the video contains multiple matches, INCLUDE THE TIME THE MATCH YOU WANT CRITIQUED BEGINS. I will not critique more than one match at a time. A half hour isn't really enough to do one match as it is.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CONVERTING THE TIME INTO MY TIME ZONE. Sorry, but I don't have time to check each person's time zone, and figure out what time they want their critique. My schedule is in the next post, and you should conform to that.

You may change the video you submit at the beginning of the critique, but it helps a lot if I have the video before hand. In case I have a free moment, I may watch it, and that will save some time during the critique. You can also leave that field blank, and you can change the video you would like critiqued even at the beginning of the critique, so long as you provide the link to the video at the start of the critique. PLEASE SPECIFY if you have deliberately left the video field blank.

It is unnecessary to include your name in the reservation post. I will realize that it is you, because your name is automatically included in every post you make, LOL
[/collapse]

[collapse= Example of a good post to schedule an appointment]
Wednesday 9:00-9:30 P.M.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPed1KlqUtI
Aim: PlayerXoverX
That quote is the PERFECT example of scheduling an appointment. I don't have to sort through unnecessary information, and I get all the information I need in a concise format. No offense, but consider this: I will probably be able to determine the age of the video, the MU, and the setting, simply by clicking on the link, so there's no point in telling me that :p
[/collapse]

That's it! You may now schedule critique appointments. I hope to speak with you all soon. ;)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Below is the schedule of times when critiques are available. Previous blocks will be collapsed, and the displayed block is always the current block. If there are no times available, you will have to wait until the next block. Sorry.

Canceling your appointment is obviously possible, but if you DO NOT cancel your appointment more than 1 day in advance, I will not allow you to reschedule for the current block OR the next block.

Additionally, if I need to reschedule an appointment, I will let you know ASAP via a SWF PM, VM, or post on this thread. If this happens, you will have a large choice window of when you can receive a critique, and it will likely be larger than average, to compensate. If there are no more available times in this block, you will get priority registration in the next block.

You will no longer be able to sign up for a critique the day of or the day before the actual critique. For the sake of getting started ASAP, I have critiques available tonight, but in the future, I don't want to have to deal with not making plans off the chance that someone MIGHT want a critique done that day or the next. If no one registers in advance, the slot will disappear. It will not stay open until it's time.

TBA

[Collapse=Notifications]
The BBR Chat will be taking place every Wednesday. I will put the time on the schedule here in the future, but usually it will be 2-5 hours (usually 3) sometime in the evening. At this time, everyone is free to come and ask questions. While this discussion will mostly be fielding questions that you all might have related to the BBR, anyone can feel free to come to the chat and ask any Brawl related questions. I will not be watching any videos at this time, and this will not be a one-on-one session.

I strongly encourage everyone to come out to the BBR Chat. I will be online during that time, and if no one comes, I do indeed become very lonely. Though the chat was canceled this past Wednesday, last Wednesday it was very successful.

It's a great opportunity to pick the minds of some of the best and brightest players who sometimes drop in as guests for the chat. I hope to see you there.
[/Collapse]

[collapse=Updates 11/30/10]
So, as you all know, I took myself a little vacation from Smashboards. I'm back now, and block 2 should be starting next week. I didn't start this week, because I have a lot of official business (BBR, Staff, Brawl-, Smash Lab, etc) to catch up on.

Also, I've decided that the average critique length will be extended to 45 minutes, but the number of critiques available for this block will be reduced. Obviously, this is an experimental stage, to see if we'll be better off returning to shorter critiques, or need longer ones. Additionally, this block will span over several weeks, instead of trying to cram everything into one week.
[/collapse]

[Collapse=Previous Blocks]
[collapse=Block 1]
Monday, 11/15/10
10pm - 10:30pm ~ Nike. {Complete}
10:45pm - 11:15PM ~ CHOMPY{Complete}

Tuesday, 11/16/10
9pm - 9:30pm ~ AvariceX {Complete}
9:45pm - 10:15pm ~ EXPIRED

Wednesday, 11/17/10
9am - 9:30am ~ EXPIRED
9:45am - 10:15am ~ EXPIRED
12Noon - 12:30pm ~ Juushichi {Complete}
1pm - 1:30pm ~ EXPIRED
1:45pm - 2:15pm ~ EXPIRED
2:30pm - 3:00pm ~ Arc_Revived {I missed this and need to reschedule.}
7:45pm - 8:15pm = lordhelmet{Complete}
9pm - 9:30pm ~ Player-1{Complete}
9:45pm - 10:15pm ~ clowsui{Complete}

Thursday, 11/18/10
9am - 9:30am ~ EXPIRED
9pm - 9:30pm ~ Twinkie {I missed this and need to rescheduled to 11/29}
9:45pm - 10:15pm ~ Asa {Rescheduled to 11/19 at 4:15}

Friday, 11/19/10
9am - 9:30am ~ Poltergust {Canceled}
3:30pm - 4pm ~ SnackAttack {Complete}
4:15pm - 4:45pm ~ Asa {Complete} [rPsi canceled on this time]
5:00pm - 5:30pm ~ XeroXen {Did not show}
5:45pm - 6:15pm ~ xIblisx
[/collapse]

Flayl

Smash Hero
Something tells me you're not going to have enough time to do this properly.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Previously, I have never tried to organize critique times. They take a long time to do, so me doing one on a whim is hard to do. Now, I will be setting aside time for it, so I can actually focus on them and get them done. Plus, active discussion is much greater than an essay critique.

I've decided I didn't want to limit my critiques to just Marth.

Life

Smash Hero
This thread is destined for great things.

Can't wait for /HOPE so I can get some vids going. (Or that local tournament, IDK)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Do you still use Mario? Is it still legit? If so I might wanna hit catch you on AIM for some critique in the future.

:059:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
*Supports this topic 1000%.*

Now if only I uploaded more recent videos of myself...oh well.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hm, interesting. I guess I'll take you up on this offer.

Now I have to find a good video... hm...

:069:

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Interested (very), and available for Monday 11:30 - noon (lol reading fail), but my most recent videos are from Apex (which is also before I switched characters) so I'm not sure if it's worth getting in on this until I put up some newer videos.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
i so would if i could record my videos >_< failwhale. could you just tentatively put me on your list?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
You should maybe get one or two more people to help you with this (havok comes to mind). This sounds like a lot to take on on your own. Great idea.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'd do this... if I had any videos recorded/posted.
Though I have this here dazzle and I will get it running sooner or later. For now hopefully SA will start recording my matches.

:320:

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Great idea for a thread Pierce. Maybe I'll do it.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Aight Pierce, here's how it goes.

I main MK and do very well with him. But...I really want to main Marth. I get that he's nowhere near as good, but I feel like the things Marth is better at are the areas I base my game around. Would you be able to help me through the switch?
I just have a ****ton of questions like if Marth gets a guaranteed punish of Shuttleloop on shield and stuff.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Too bad I dont have any matches recorded yet.
You still owe me a match from dallas bro, I really wanted to play you.

Top Bottom