• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GIGaBrawl - and Melee! - July 25th and 26th - Lawrence, Kansas - VENUE CHANGED!

Cook

Smash Master
No, I mean a lot of us had to play against each other close to, if not the very beginning, of the bracket. Cameron, Tempest, and others noticed this as well.
You had to play Blarg second round and Tempest had to play Holmes second round. No other Wichita people played until third round. I think that's pretty good considering that I was trying to get the bracket done as soon as possible so that we could start singles as soon as possible in order to have even a chance of getting done on time.

Karmacide

Smash Lord
i know, i did not know that component cables were required :/ and yes im very sensitive to lag - i can notice it, it just doesnt effect me :p
It depends on the Native resolution of the TV, Raptor-man. Most of those widescreen TV's looked kinda old so they were probably 480P or 720P. If they were 1080P, the lag would have been much more noticeable.

I made a big post on the subject of TV lag once a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Lemme bring it up:

I don't think some of you understand HDTVs and television lag.

Lag is created when the TV has to scale the input to the TV's native resolution.

What does this mean?

The Wii outputs the picture either at 480i by default or 480p if you enable progressive scan. Regular CRT TVs display picture at 480i (this is known as standard definition or SD). If you hook up the Wii without progressive scan enabled to a CRT with regular AV cables, there will be no scaling and no lag is introduced.

If you get a television that has 480p and you enable progressive scan and hook up your Wii using component cables (needed to enable progressive scan), there will be no scaling and no lag is introduced.

My television might lag a little bit because it's native resolution is 1080p. The television has to scale the 480p signal (I have progressive scan enabled) from the Wii all the way up to 1080p. Scaling on most televisions put priority for image quality rather than speed. Game Mode on televisions is supposed to speed up the scaling process or bypass it completely.

Component cables help because the most strenuous process of scaling is the process of converting interlaced to progressive. If you have component cables and progressive scan enabled, all the HDTV has to do is convert 480p to 720p or 1080p instead of 480i to 480p to 720p or 1080p.

If the Wii supported 1080p and 720p output, this would be less of a problem. **** you Nintendo.

Example Chart

Worst: You will notice lag.
Better: There is lag, but it may be an acceptable level for you.
Best: There is no lag.

Example 1 (TV: Samsung DLP with 720p native resolution)*
Worst: SNES Game (240p) --> Samsung DLP upscales to 720p --> Noticeable lag.
Worst: PS2 Game (480i) --> Samsung DLP upscales to 720p --> Noticeable lag.
Better: PS2 Game (480p) --> Samsung DLP upscales to 720p --> Fairly small lag.
Better: X-Box Game (480p) --> Samsung DLP upscales to 720p --> Fairly small lag.
Better: PS2 Game with Samsung DLP's Game Mode activated (480i) --> Fairly small lag.
Best: X-Box Game (720p) --> Samsung displays the image directly --> Small lag.
Best: X-Box 360 Game (720p) --> Samsung displays the image directly --> Small lag.

Example 2 (TV: Sony CRT HDTV with both 480p and 1080i native resolutions):
Better: SNES Game (240p) --> Sony CRT HDTV upscales to 480p --> Small lag.
Better: PS2 Game (480i) --> Sony CRT HDTV upscales to 480p --> Small lag.
Best: PS2 Game (480p) --> Sony CRT HDTV displays the image directly --> No lag.
Best: X-Box Game (480p) --> Sony CRT HDTV displays image directly --> No lag.
Best: X-Box Game (1080i) --> Sony CRT HDTV displays image directly --> No lag.

Example 3 (TV: Sony LCD with 1080p native resolution)
Worst: SNES Game (240p) --> Sony LCD upscales to 1080p --> Lag.
Worst: PS2 Game (480i) --> Sony LCD upscales to 1080p --> Lag.
Best: X-Box 360 game (720p) --> Sony LCD upscales to 1080p --> Small lag.
Better: Any game on any system with Game Mode activated (any resolution) --> Fairly small lag.

The chart was copied from this thread here from AV forums. You can read more in depth about HDTV gaming lag here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=558125

Top Bottom