• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Ummm... I couldn't find my answer anywhere else.... So I figured I'd ask here... How do you do DDD's Swallow to allow you to Utilt the player immediately after you spit them out...?

Countcocofang

Smash Cadet
I wanted to make sure I understood the basics of DI before I practice them relentlessly...
If I was on the left side of FD facing towards the center of the stage and a falco in front of me hit me with a fsmash, I would want to be holding up on the control stick while its hitting me then as I fly mash bair and fastfall? I feel like there is something else i could be doing to reduce my knockback.... Is there?

Jupz

Smash Master
Don't fastfall unless you think you're going to be KO'ed over the top. If you're going to get KO'ed over the sides, Bair and then jump inwards. If you're going up at a near perfect diagonal angle, Bair and then maybe jump once.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Is the utilt out of inhale actually applicable? I heard that if the opponent doesn't mash out it won't work. Is this only if they're mashing out when released?

Gah777

Smash Lord
How well do metaknight and DDD team? what kind of strategies are they capable of? what does metaknight contribute to the team? what does DDD contribute to the team?

DZLE

Smash Master
How well do metaknight and DDD team? what kind of strategies are they capable of? what does metaknight contribute to the team? what does DDD contribute to the team?
IMO it's a pretty good team. I mean cmon, it's MK.

MK 'Nado-ing the last enemy while DDD forward smashes is hawt.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
In this link... look at the sentence that says "regarding King Dedede in doubles". There will be another link there that will tell you about the team.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244993

piZ

Smash Journeyman
So I was using DDD in a friendly and I was hucking waddles, then I chucked a capsule and it exploded and KO'd my friend... Since when could DDD pluck capsules? Thought it was just gordos and waddles... Is it the same percent as gordo pulling? Or less?

∫unk

Smash Master
im actually going to read through the OP now... wish me luck lol

edit: it actually wasn't that long

thank god you stopped rating ddd's i started at 4/5 when i should have been like 1.1/5 XD (now i'm at 1.2 yes!!!)

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
He stopped putting critics in there cuz it was really pointless. You can just look up the person who posted the video and go from there.

But good stuff Beefy.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
so one of my playing partners uses lucas so i can help a little bit:
dthrow into usmash is too good. or if you wanna be fancy, dthrow from ddd (if not a chaingrabable character) to dtilt lock from lucas, to fsmash/usmash from either. also, if you get the lightning waddle let it walk around, lucas heals a toooon from that thing. but yeah, beyond the dthrow set ups and healing, there isn't anything else particularly amazing from the team. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
He stopped putting critics in there cuz it was really pointless. You can just look up the person who posted the video and go from there.

But good stuff Beefy.
The ones that are there are just examples...if people read them, they would definitely learn small things on matchups of the opponents. Yep it's pointless to post more lol.

someone tell me how to fight diddy better!

me vs one of the best diddies on the wc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6gqDpPsKaw

all our matches go to last hit and i want to win more consistently
Generally speaking, from the majority of experience I've had with matchups, I've begun to shorten out what I think we should do in a a matchup, and leave the rest to reactions/reflexes, and spacing.

The definite goal in the Diddy Kong matchup is to keep him offstage as much as possible. Diddy Kong being on the ledge is the best situation/position for us because we can easily edgeguard him and keep him off. Always charge him and whenever you see him pull out a banana but it's not in his hand, immediately 'airdodge-cancel' throw it off the stage. It's better to throw them off and being aggressive on Diddy Kong the whole match than to try to throw them at him.
And the one other thing that needs to be covered is the moment that both characters are standing on stage and Diddy Kong has a banana in his hand, and that's it. The rest can be left to reactions/reflexes, and spacing.
Unfortunately people didn't know before I said this, the king has MANY options in this situation. Once you practice the reaction of when Diddy Kong throws the banana, you can do any of these.
1.) Turn around, shield it, and shorthop back air OR down air.
2.) [With the proper timing of reaction], full hop a down air while catching the banana.
3.) Simply jump. And react appropriately to what he will do after.

And it's always safe to just shield, and wait for what his approach will be. Come up with your own creative ways to avoid, and possibly punish. Just know that your punish doesn't have to always hit, just as long as you avoid being hit by the banana.

Junk... As you experience from 1:09, just watch for bananas on platforms during a chaingrab.
And your mistake of back throwing him goes against the goal of this matchup. Do any other throw than back throw after a chaingrab! Even up throw is better to use against him there, and him being in the air is just as safe for us as Diddy is offstage. Our airgame is better than his.

im actually going to read through the OP now... wish me luck lol

edit: it actually wasn't that long
Learn from this guy.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Beef basically covered what should be on paper, but when was the last time you played Dao?
Pretty recently, no doubt. It was in early January at 'World 2-3'. He said he can't stand my King Dedede and the fact that I'm too good with reacting against Diddy lol.
I haven't played Trevonte from northern California yet [can't travel that far], but I'll be sure to get videos of my next set with a Diddy Kong.

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
Anyone interested in watching this video and giving me some critiquing? I main DDD now and unfortunately this is really the only semi-recent video I have. It is against Sonic which I know is a really bad match-up for Sonic but at least rate my play-style. I play this way against almost every character except obviously based more on tech chasing if I can't CG. I'd appreciate any advice or anything people have to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zw39Q6WvE4

∫unk

Smash Master
Anyone interested in watching this video and giving me some critiquing? I main DDD now and unfortunately this is really the only semi-recent video I have. It is against Sonic which I know is a really bad match-up for Sonic but at least rate my play-style. I play this way against almost every character except obviously based more on tech chasing if I can't CG. I'd appreciate any advice or anything people have to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zw39Q6WvE4
Remember to walk in some matchups other than that can't really tell you did 2 stock him.

dumblogic

Smash Rookie
Hi I haven't played brawl in about a year, and their are a lot of things about D3 I forget, or never learned and want to learn how to do, so I have quite a few questions.
1. I keep hearing about shield-cancel grabbing, and shield dash grabbing. I have heard how they are supposed to be performed but I have no idea what they look like, so I am confused. Are these grabs only used for chain grabs, or can they be used instead of a regular dash grab. I have been able to do grabs where I run at them, shield, and then grab, where DDD basically comes to a complete stop and grabs the opponent, but I do not know is this is shield canceling or shield dash grabbing. (Please tell me what each of these look like when performed correctly, and whether one or both of them are used only for CG's or for both CG's and getting the initial grab.)
2. How do you perform a pivot grab(I am not sure if this is the correct terminology, I don't mean that reverse pivot grab thingy, I just mean pivoting with no movement and grabbing) after you have spot dodged and he is behind you. I wanted to do it like i do with a spot dodge into regular grab, where I just buffer grab, but when i buffer grab and try to turn, i just regular grab with not pivot, is their a way to buffer the pivot grab so I do it directly out of the spot dodge? Also same question for out of shield.
3. I see a lot of the top D3's charging the opponent and then shielding right away, more often than any other move. I know they are trying to get a grab but I am wondering if they are trying to 1.shield outside the opponents range wait for an attack and then grab. 2. Run inside the opponents range shield wait for an attack and grab, or 3. Just ran at the opponent an shield-cancel/shield dash grab the opponent.
4. What is a good controller setting for D3? I have noticed that a lot of the best D3's do things like bair very fast out of a jump, and their rar are perfect. I use Y to jump and the c-stick to aerial and my bairs seem to come out a bit slower. Is it timing or should I be doing something different?
5. I recently discovered buffering and it has increased my grabs out spot dodges and shields a lot. I was wondering what other of DDDs attacks are done well when buffered out of something, and what to buffer them out of.
Sorry for the long list of questions, and sorry if the questions are worded a little funny.
6. Lastly, in what situation are reverse pivot grabs useful?

BetaZealot

Smash Journeyman
Hiya everybody.

I'm a Falco main from MD/VA, and I was wondering if Dedede would be a good secondary for him.

Dedede or Marth?

Consider teams when giving me and answer as well.

Thanks a lot!

Gah777

Smash Lord
hey I heard somewhere that DDD is unviable in tourney. is that true?

@betazealot, i'd go marth. he covers falco's weaknesses better

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Lol it depends on your definition of viable. If you mean viable as in on a national scale, then dedede is not. However if you mean viable on a regional or lower scale, then yes dedede is very viable.

*read- Only top 5 characters in the game are really viable on a national scale*

tekkie

Smash Master
Except that DDD is too slow to position himself to Bair Wolf's recovery before he can recover. So, at high level, DDD can't gimp Wolf. So to answer the original question, the best solution would be to let him recover to the edge and limit his options from there.
do you guys agree with this

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
do you guys agree with this
I sure don't because I'm imagining us being on the edge jumping off. We should usually back air right in front of the ledge so that we can at least hit his side B recovery with the weaker hit if the regular hit misses the timing. That's only if we're at the edge of stage though, anywhere else, that statement is true.

∫unk

Smash Master
wolfs that don't know how to recover do that... the good wolves are patient

i play against choice, and there's not enough lag on side b for ddd to punish if he's hanging on the ledge, and it's not like i'm playing him over and over not trying different things

sometimes i do gimp him, but it's like gimping zero suit samus... it sometimes happens but not often and not reliably

the most understated thing about the matchup is wolf can **** ddd pretty hard near the ledge... most of wolfs moves can link together like he can b-air to d-smash near the edge and you can't do anything really

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, here are some vids from a small tournament in an anime convention that took place this weekend here in SP, Brazil. I was wondering if you could give me any criticism/feedback, because looking at the videos, I know I could have done better :/

The Snake player is a very close friend of mine and we play regularly, and our matches are (almost) always close. I really don't know what I was thinking when I picked Brinstar, so a little bit of CP advice against Snake would be good :D

Claus vs Solid LF1
Claus vs Solid LF2
Claus vs Solid LF3
Claus vs Solid LF4

Thanks =D

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
A counterpick against Snake that you should never forget is Rainbow Cruise...always counterpick this if he doesn't ban it. If he bans it or if it isn't legal in the tournament, counterpick Delfino Plaza because of the numerous walls and walk offs that we can down throw him into. The threat of them being there is even better for us when Snake is purposely trying to avoid them, which is where we pull out our airgame.

At 1:05 was a great choice to punish his forward tilt with your forward tilt instead of the option that will fail every time---grabbing.
Oh and you used down air to momentum cancel during the DI process...be sure to use back air when sent vertically or diagonally to the corner of screen.
Waddle Dees, during my experience, have become a much overrated move of King Dedede's. I recommend using it less out of your moveset overall because of its enormous lag. And you'll get punished almost every time if you use it when they're close enough, maybe you're doing it out of habit which is bad too. Other than that, you're a smart player. You have only a little more to learn.

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the comments Beef. That bunch of Waddle tossing is a bad habit from when we were noobs and I used the waddles to stop the grenades. It doesn't work anymore, so I don't know why I keep doing it :/ Another mistake I realized after watching the videos is that I ran everywhere instead of just walk...

And I should have counterpicked Delfino, but I somehow forgot about it ^^"

Omit

Smash Apprentice
Dont think im experienced enough to critisize your de3. However i like the use of your Fair and Waddle Dees (Y)

Top Bottom