• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I do this. lol (back when I was more active)
Do that to them on undieable percents, and up tilt (if you're close to the wall enough when you grab 'em), or down smash.
I even remember landing a forward smash on a MK . I was suuuper far away though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zguUD4rdkyM&feature=channel_video_title
Old*** vid but it shows how many options you have with the wall there.

And yeah I finally legitly posted here. Sup everybody! It's been sooo long XD. I'll TRY to be a little more active to support in the answers to your questions and video critiques.
I'm going to GENESIS 2!!! And imma get some vids there too.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
We have more options than I realized off the wall. Then again this is all DI dependent. Still worth learning though.

Also welcome back Beefy!

ZTD | TECHnology

Things you need to work on:

- NEVER approach with Short Hop Down Air on even ground. You will whiff it and get the really bad ending lag before you get the final hit off.

- You are usuing Swallow way too blatantly. Like you will use it when you're really high in the air and just fall with it. Smart opponents will not fall for it. Try adding B-Reversal Swallows into your game.

- Too much Forward Smash and you're not using it safely. You need to space yourself correctly before throwing it out. You can't be too close or far away or you'll get punished hard.

- You're dash grabbing too much. Needs more Pivot Grab. Pivot Grabs **** Wario especially.

- Our forward roll isn't as good as out back roll. You don't want to use this too much. Rolling a lot in general for us is bad. We're not exactly Lucario.

- I notice you would pummel sometimes at like really low percents during a CG. Don't. Generally they will break out.

- You fall into the ground with Bair too much. If you miss, you're asking to be punished.

- When you're landing, its okay to cover your landing with a Dair as sometimes people like to chase us and they can get hit by it.

- I like the music in Game 3...Super Mario RPG remix...its hot. lol

- Wall with Back Airs more. Especially useful against Wario.

- Down Air into the ground is BAD.

- A lot of the times you would CG and end it with a F-tilt, you could have gotten a re-grab which is a lot better for damage. Plus on Wario you can get a guaranteed Up Smash from a grab release.

- You need to Waddle Camp more against Wario and make him approach. Also when you do toss Waddles it looks like you aren't controlling their angles.

LOL at the voice on DDD in this version of the game. Its hilarious.

Okay but yeah work on that stuff. It seems like a lot but DDD is a lot more complicated than he appears to be.

White91

Smash Apprentice
thanks man, ill keep that stuff in mind, some of it are just habits i really need to break

ZTD | TECHnology

- You use more Forward Throw then you should. When you have Snake at the ledge you have two really good options. You can Down Throw him and then see what he does. If you Down-Throw him at the ledge and then it him out of his second jump he has no choice but to Cypher and from there you can tack on an *** ton of damage. Or you can land a guaranteed D-Tilt if you space it correctly when Snake hits the ledge.

- Nair goes through mortars when he tries to use them to edgeguard you. Keep in it mind.

- Yeah after watching more you don't seem to know your best options against Snake after a CG.

- By the way that Snake was bad, He kept getting grabbed and wasn't camping you nearly enough.

- Pivot Grab more also when Snake is trying to land..it definitely helps and you could have avoided being Back aired....you got Back Aired like 8 times in that match..lol

- Waddles are pretty good in this MU because they screw up the timing of him cooking his grenades and force him to react, giving you the opportunity to close in.

- I do approve of the liberal use of F-Tilt you used..its very effective in this MU. Good job.

- Oh and Forward Air ***** Snake.

I want to give more critique but this match was like 4 minutes of the same thing over and over lol

Older videos of me against Snake. The first one is against Lain. It just shows a little bit of what I am talking about. Oh man I was such a scrub with DDD 5 months ago lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy1i6MmoSmw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXF4kG2OhJk&feature=related

Overall I give you props for playing the MU somewhat correctly. You aren't bad. You have the basics down at least..you have a lot of inexperience though I can see it clearly. But you know what to do :)

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Why do you guys play this character? D: He's so big and fat and can be timed out and combo ***** by MK :x... not to mention Pit can time this ***** out with a lead <_<_<

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I play D3 because I cycled through lots of mains, and I eventually ended up back on D3, so he's the one for me.

Anyway, I'm gonna get some videos, but uh, can anyone record them? If not, it'll be shaky cam footage...

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
how do you guys get the timing for the standing chaingrabs on Bowser/DK etc. I just can't get the timing down. I can do it at most 4 times on Bowser and on DK twice maybe 3 at most.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
tbh DDD does feel somewhat right to me too... I love the fact that he can camp people by laying down and staring into the screen. XDDD. And I do enjoy having him for Snake and DK... I think he's a very strong 2nd tbh. MK/DDD, whatchu guys think???

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
how do you guys get the timing for the standing chaingrabs on Bowser/DK etc. I just can't get the timing down. I can do it at most 4 times on Bowser and on DK twice maybe 3 at most.
Are you pummeling in between grabs? Because if Dthrow gets stale you can't continue the infinite. If that's not your problem, well, there are two ways to get the grab after the Dthrow:
1 - Mash - after the throw just mash grab, but you have to press it very quickly, cause if you hold grab for more than 3(?) frames you'll buffer a shield instead.
2 - Learn the timing for the buffer - it's not that hard, just get in training mode and experience with it, you'll eventually understand the timing or learn a visual cue, then after a bit of practice just let your fingers do the work.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
Are you pummeling in between grabs? Because if Dthrow gets stale you can't continue the infinite. If that's not your problem, well, there are two ways to get the grab after the Dthrow:
1 - Mash - after the throw just mash grab, but you have to press it very quickly, cause if you hold grab for more than 3(?) frames you'll buffer a shield instead.
2 - Learn the timing for the buffer - it's not that hard, just get in training mode and experience with it, you'll eventually understand the timing or learn a visual cue, then after a bit of practice just let your fingers do the work.
Well it would appear that my problem is that i'm not Pummeling since I've been practicing strictly with DK and Bowser(Since I want to master it on them before moving on to more difficult characters) and I was always under the impression that it didn't stale agains them. I also think it's my lack of experience considering i just picked up DDD a couple of days ago, but i'll keep on practicing to learn the timing.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
We don't have a standing infinite on Bowser.
And against DK you do not need to pummel.
You need to buffer the grab. Note that in order to buffer a grab, you must have released the grab button before the end of the previous move, or else you simply buffer a shield.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
You need to buffer the grab. Note that in order to buffer a grab, you must have released the grab button before the end of the previous move, or else you simply buffer a shield.
thanks, that helps me understand the button sequence better because I always wondered why sometimes i would shield lol.

ZTD | TECHnology

We do have the ledge infinite however.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually got the ledge infinite the other day.

Felt so proud of myself. It was entirely by accident too.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Whats the Snake/DDD matchup? Is it even when the Snake camps near perfect? Cuz it feels really even when he does... and imo its one of the funnest MU's in teh gamee!! :D

ZTD | TECHnology

BBR has it as a -1. I think it's even. Or VERY VERY slightly in our favor that it might as well be called even. Most Snakes just don't know how badly they can edgeguard/camp us.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
BBR has it as a -1. I think it's even. Or VERY VERY slightly in our favor that it might as well be called even. Most Snakes just don't know how badly they can edgeguard/camp us.
lol pretty much, i dont understand why. its obvious snake outcamps DDD, but Snakes just get impatient when they get CG'ed across the stage twice and we're camping them with a lead. xD... silly snakes.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I play this matchup so much, I've become very good at it, I'm sure I could offer some good advice...Lesse...

Match 1:

0:08 If Yoshi starts edge camping with eggs, use Ftilt to clash with them
0:24 Never never never shield that close to Yoshi for that long, you're asking to get egg layed/grabbed
0:44 At positions like this, reverse inhale is your friend, and is difficult for Yoshi to outspace with egg lay or grabs
1:14 Not sure of the exact spacing, but this looked like it. When you Dthrow Yoshi close to the edge, you can dtilt, which can net kills since Dtilt is normally fresh.
1:27 I can tell you now, that Usmash is pretty much useless in this MU
2:36 Nice Dsmash
3:18 Once again, you stood in place with your shield up longer than you needed
3:32 Shieldgrab eggroll, which it looks like you were going for anyway :p
4:07 Ouch, not too good of a way to get back on

Overall: You don't want to be above Yoshi much, uair is much better than dair against him, preferable position is with your back facing Yoshi and his blind spot is the air around his nose. You want to learn when and where Yoshi uses egglay and DRs and watch out for slope tricks

Match 2:

4:14-4:18 Too much shielding again
4:33 It's usually not a good idea to start an inhale from that high up
6:46 Uthrow should never ever be used, it's garbage, we have a chaingrab aaaaand backthrow does more damage
7:03 This is how you want to play the matchup, outliving Yoshi, especially considering the difficulty he has landing kill moves

Overall: This match shows how much Yoshi can exploit your standing and shielding

Match 3:
14:44 The trip sealed your fate...

Overall: A better match than the others. Just a tip, Lylat is an amazing stage for Yoshi, and a good CP against DDD (high ceiling, stage tilts), so I'd suggest banning that stage.

General Performance and other notes:
I saw no waddles...They are good in this match-up, full hop waddles can help stop eggs, and as you get better, you'll start throwing more gordos, which are great for damage and knockback. Using waddles allows you to be able to keep space between you and Yoshi, and with 5 jumps, allows higher percentages to be more relaxed. When Yoshi is aggressive (a signature of Zudenka's style) Inhale is your best friend. You made fairly good use of it, but there were a few messups, which are understandable.

You played well, and against Zudenka, who is a phenomenal player.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
Wow this thread really helped me out. I'm from houston and i'm tryin to get some respect for D3 there. But everyone plays MK! If anyone has some good advice for how to beat a Mk
with Dedede, message it to me please. I would be very grateful.

Oh and please no links to youtube, my comp cant handle it.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Chris: check out the MK matchup thread on this board - it's on the first page. There's some useful advice among all the despair in there!

ZTD | TECHnology

I have a set that was recorded today against a MK in my state. He's the number 5 player in MI. So when its uploaded I'll link it here. I actually played pretty well for a change :) I feel like I finally understand what to do now.

Top Bottom