• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Wats ur kill move with Ddd?I go for utilt or side b fsmash

:phone:
Up-Tilt is our best kill move but it can baited and punish. Back-air when its not stale is good. Forward Air and Down Smash have uses but are situational. Random Forward Smash USED IN MODERATION works once every blue moon. Sometimes you can get a Gordo as well but you cant rely on that. Getting the kill requires creativity and a little bit of luck.

Does Falco's jab hit DDD at maximum grab range?
Yes it does, Junk. It definitely beats our standing grab. Our pivot grab beats it I believe.

Does Dair breaks Falco´s Side B?
Yes. There are better options for breaking Phantasm though.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Hi Dededes,

I'm a fairly poor player, but I would appreciate if one of you took the time to overlook one of my matches from the most recent tournament: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBg6Nv4albc (this is the only match of the set that I went Dedede. Went Marth game 2 and got 3-stocked, went ZSS game 3 and... actually went very close to winning, but that's beside the point).

I don't mean like specific mistakes, because I can identify those well enough myself (like 2:27 should've been a pivot grab, all the failed "Coneys" etc). But say at 0:20, you can see I run away from the ledge instead of pressuring him offstage/on the ledge. What would be my best options to pressure him reasonably safetly? And the long stretch from 0:39 to 1:28 where I get juggled for 100%+ without dealing any back. Surely there are options for The King to escape from this a bit easier?

Any help would be appreciated.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Hey Dedede mains, I had a quick question. I'm looking for a new character to play and I'm a little interested in Dedede. However, he has the same bad matchups as Falco (IC's and Pika) according to the matchup chart. How hard are these matchups for a Dedede main? (specifically Pikachu)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Icies is hell.

Pika is hard, but completely doable.

Also lol, we have a lot more bad MUs than falco does. If you're specifically looking for someone to cover weaknesses we're not the character for you, but if you're just looking for a fun character to play, by all means go ahead.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Icies is hell.

Pika is hard, but completely doable.

Also lol, we have a lot more bad MUs than falco does. If you're specifically looking for someone to cover weaknesses we're not the character for you, but if you're just looking for a fun character to play, by all means go ahead.
I was interested in Dedede when I was reading about him, but he doesn't look like he's going to be much help for my matchup troubles. He would be fun to play though for non serious play though and I may learn him anyway.

I think I'm going to go with Lucario but thanks everyone.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Hey Dedede mains, I had a quick question. I'm looking for a new character to play and I'm a little interested in Dedede. However, he has the same bad matchups as Falco (IC's and Pika) according to the matchup chart. How hard are these matchups for a Dedede main? (specifically Pikachu)
I do well against IC's and Pikachu. To me, Falco & Olimar are a bit tougher.
Pikachu is prolly easier to beat than IC's, but its mainly because patience is key.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
Hi Dededes,

I'm a fairly poor player, but I would appreciate if one of you took the time to overlook one of my matches from the most recent tournament: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBg6Nv4albc (this is the only match of the set that I went Dedede. Went Marth game 2 and got 3-stocked, went ZSS game 3 and... actually went very close to winning, but that's beside the point).

I don't mean like specific mistakes, because I can identify those well enough myself (like 2:27 should've been a pivot grab, all the failed "Coneys" etc). But say at 0:20, you can see I run away from the ledge instead of pressuring him offstage/on the ledge. What would be my best options to pressure him reasonably safetly? And the long stretch from 0:39 to 1:28 where I get juggled for 100%+ without dealing any back. Surely there are options for The King to escape from this a bit easier?

Any help would be appreciated.
Shooot man you're better than me. Your D3 is legit, its
just that the MK REALLY knew that MU, and it's a tough matchup in
the first place.

Loved the Coney's, u did better with those than you take credit for.
My only advice would be: IGNORE the balloons! YOU had a bigger thing to worry about!

ZTD | TECHnology

I agree. I have found that in higher levels of play waiting is essential. I mean its hard at first to keep your cool in close range and not just to grab/spotdodge etc but waiting and reacting is an amazingly simple yet very effective tool in high levels of play. ESPECIALLY against MK with his massive frame advantage over us. You have to really capitalize on those bad player habits when you're in a bad situation or MU.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Has the DDD vs Marth MU really changed since 2009 or have the players just gotten smarter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88TjcNTlmzg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4wPhfAu0rc

Are these videos still useful for understanding the MU?
Those are as old as ****. Answering your first question, I don't think it's changed much. To be honest, I don't think any of the matchup threads back then even mattered.
Understanding the matchup, yes. And players have definitely gotten smarter, like mikey. He thinks DDD counters marth, but I think that DDD just has a small advantage. Then again, Mike's marth is definitely merit enough to beat me modern day. We haven't played marthvsDDD in a long time because he's using MK/Falco on me.

ZTD | TECHnology

D3 still totally beats Marth but I think its a +1 for us at the most. Its just a giant spacing battle except we gain a little bit more because of CGs. Its one of the more simple matchups we have. Its still annoying though.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
hey could someone link me to a thread that tells me how to do the character infinites and who DDD has them on. i've decided to take up DDD as a secondary because he seems the most suited character to cover those who i personally have trouble with. also he is really fun to play

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I'll give it a shot.

-I see you using fthrow, which, although not a bad throw in the slightest, should be used at the end of chain grabs for characters we have a cg on (Or another throw)

-@1:07 you Dair into the stage...Do not do that.

-@first death, ...Although Dair CAN be used in such a manner, you're better off not doing that. Especially on characters that can recover from very low, aka Wario

-@2:30 and other such moment, you never want to just stand in place below/next to Wario, you should also not spot dodge

-@4:46 that was a very good dash attack

-@5:50 Good, grab release to usmash should be used on Wario as a kill move

-@8:50 Very unfortunate SD

-@8:55 Woah woah woah, what stage did the Wario player ban? I'm assuming FD

-@9:51 As you get better, you'll start to throw more gordos, so setups like this are important

-@10:17 Don't force grabs like this...Too often

Overall, you're actually not too bad. It's good to see you know some matchup specifics, though he got you with bite a lot.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
Hey dude, you play just like me! Just b-airs and grabs!

My only advice( as ^ already stated )is to not force the grab
too much. You got real predictable. Switch it up a bit. Like what
I do is dash like I'm gonna grab, and then instead stop a good
distance and f-tilt or waddle throw.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Is a normal dash grab CG faster than a shield cancel CG? I saw Atomsk doing a dash grab CG to Fatal's Snake and the commentator said it was so Snake couldn't drop a grenade. Is this true? Also, are there certain people I should do a dash grab CG compared to a shield cancel CG?

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
Shield grab always comes faster than dash grab, but the speed on the chaingrab depends on how much the character slides.
Against characters that don't slide far dash grab is faster because you can buffer it right after the dthrow and if you dash grabbed you'd have to wait three frames on your shield to get a standing grab.
With characters that slide a little further (like Marth, Peach, Pit) you'd have to dash farther to connect with the dash grab, so, since the standing grab has more range, it is faster in this situation.

However, skid canceling shield grabs are faster than dash grabs, so technically you should always use them in a cg. (I don't know if Snake can pull a grenade in between a skid canceling cg, but I'm almost sure he can't).

Since I can't skid canceling shield grab consistently (yet - I'm changing my controler scheme to do it easier), I use dash grabs against Snake, characters that I don't want to risk missing a grab (like Wario) and characters that I find easier to cg that way, like Yoshi and Ike, and shield grabs against the rest.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
It makes characters that are difficult to chaingrab (Luigi, Marth, Diddy) more doable. Characters that are easier to chaingrab allow more grabs. As a matter of fact, it shows Dedede's CG IN GIMR's video.

ZTD | TECHnology

Non CGs cannot be grabbed by Skid Cancels.

It basically increases how many grabs you get.

I tested it myself for fun:

On FD you'll get 5 off a dash grab. 6 from a Shield Cancel and 8 from Skid Cancel on average.

∫unk

Smash Master
you know... it's a hard matchup and you didn't do anything terrible. the diddy could have actually ***** you harder but for some reason he doesn't follow up his bananas or play with them a lot.

i dunno about f-smash at 140 it's too risky to be going for at anything other than optimal death percent (~50) but i'm guessing you meant to f-tilt.

missing cg's really hurts.

too much landing with swallow but you adjusted as the game went on. i still think you could improve your ff ad game and it would help you reverse bad positions into good ones.

the game basically came down to you doing 2 stocks worth of damage on the last stock and not being able to kill :/ sometimes it happens we don't have easy kills unless the opponent is being dumb.

i don't know i'm still in the process of learning the matchup... like the optimal way for ddd to approach various situations. i really liked the nana block -> delayed d-air you did.

Skel'D3

Smash Cadet
Diddy is personally one of my most worked MU.

Just be patient and take the control of the bananas at the landing with the grab button. You have to be concentrated to whole match to all the bananas and punish the approaches of Diddy ( If he does )
In this MU, You can't permite to miss CG. Also, you have to edgeguard Diddy after a CG, when he will get offstage ( which you does )

You also ever to keep the stick up to DI. The DI is one of our keys in this MU, with a good DI and if the smashes of Diddy are fresh, he won't kill us before 160 percents.

This MU is all about patience and concentration, pretty boring to play at the beginning because Diddy **** us with all the bananas and we always trip but after, when you will have the banana control, it should be okay.

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Diddy is personally one of my most worked MU.

Just be patient and take the control of the bananas at the landing with the grab button. You have to be concentrated to whole match to all the bananas and punish the approaches of Diddy ( If he does )
In this MU, You can't permite to miss CG. Also, you have to edgeguard Diddy after a CG, when he will get offstage ( which you does )

You also ever to keep the stick up to DI. The DI is one of our keys in this MU, with a good DI and if the smashes of Diddy are fresh, he won't kill us before 160 percents.

This MU is all about patience and concentration, pretty boring to play at the beginning because Diddy **** us with all the bananas and we always trip but after, when you will have the banana control, it should be okay.
This helped me, thanks.

Quick question match-up wise. How do I play the Kirby match-up, i got pretty much stomped by a Kirby in my last tournament and I've never quite felt so helpless in awhile, and I don't think I got grabbed ounce by Kirbs.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
This helped me, thanks.

Quick question match-up wise. How do I play the Kirby match-up, i got pretty much stomped by a Kirby in my last tournament and I've never quite felt so helpless in awhile, and I don't think I got grabbed ounce by Kirbs.

Space him right, cause you can outrange him with pretty much every move.

Your bair beats his bair, your inhale beats his inhale, you can out grab him and out tilt
him, so it would all be about making sure you use that range.

Stay out of really close range as well so he cannot combo you.

Top Bottom